I Can't See How This Season Can Be Finished

I think it will be sometime in the Autumn. Meaning that EL qualifiers would have to be heavily delayed, if the 20/21 competition even goes ahead. Likewise, the League Cup already seems in question.

If it is likely to peak in 10 to 14 weeks then realistically it will be around 20-28 weeks before we see any football. September seems likely

You would have to deliberately infect every employee at every football club with the virus and after the all clear only then could football resume behind closed doors.
in other words no football for the foreseeable.

My guess is that most players will get it within the next month, and the leagues will be played to a mathematical conclusion behind closed doors.

On the basis that the Chinese have lied, and this goes back way earlier than first reported, we’re further into this than people possibly realise.
The numbers infected in a month will be massive.
Clubs / players won't be fit to play out games.

Reactions: VGM
Here's an idea.
Next year's SKy /BT / Premier Sports /BbC tv money should be distributed amongst all professional British clubs to help on the aftermath of this.

Why would any of those companies pay that money up front when they themselves are going to go through a challenging time?

Nobody will be taking out Sky Sports packages, buying Now TV passes, subscribing to Premier. There's no chance their shareholders would ratify gifting next season's funds early when they're already going to take a hit. As nice as it would be, it's not going to happen.

Season doesn't end until the 9 th May when the last game(Scottish cup final) takes place before the summer break, If things slow down in the next few weeks and get better the games can resume.

Problem with that would be then you would have teams playing in the Scottish cup semi finals and there would be a final to be played, which means teams are then going to have fixtures in hand to play.

So why doesn't the SFA/SPFL do what they done to Rangers when Rangers had problems playing catch up games due to our run in the UEFA cup which also in my opinion cost us the league.

Make teams play on a Saturday,Tuesday,Thursday and if in the final of the Scottish cup play the same like we had to do and play a league game on a Thursday and final on the Saturday.

Remember they also told us they couldn't extend the league, so make the mankies if they get to the Scottish cup final play all their games the same way we were made to do, Saturday/Sunday,Tuesday,Thursday and final on the Sunday.

I’m 100% behind this. Maybe it should be our turn to have a tour of.... well maybe no Japan.

Experts in the UK think this might not peak for another 3 months here. Make of that what you will but i think the start of the new season is in serious jeopardy nevermind the end of this one.
It is difficult to comprehend our football restarting until there are no further deaths from the virus in Britain.
If it were to do so and any player(or spectator) then contracted the virus and died, then football authorities would be facing personal court action.
It is simply unacceptable to resume sporting events until this virus is controlled and/or a vaccine is available.
PS Just seen the late STV news, and our old friend Mulraney looks as if he has caught something which could well be Corona or worse.
TLB was also still demanding that his club is awarded the league title.

There is not a chance that huge sporting events will be taking place again in just over 3 weeks.

The contagion rate is going to go up enormously in the coming month or two. The peak infection rate is forecast around may / maybe into June.

How on earth does anyone other than a moron (TLB) think that any more matches are getting played this season.

The season is over, horribly incomplete, and will be declared null and void. It’s the only sane conclusion but when did the words sane and Lennon ever go hand in hand.

There is not a chance that huge sporting events will be taking place again in just over 3 weeks.

The contagion rate is going to go up enormously in the coming month or two. The peak infection rate is forecast around may / maybe into June.

How on earth does anyone other than a moron (TLB) think that any more matches are getting played this season.

The season is over, horribly incomplete, and will be declared null and void. It’s the only sane conclusion but when did the words sane and Lennon ever go hand in hand.

This is how any sane person would view things. It simply doesn’t make any sense to award any team titles when it’s mathematically still possible for them not to win it. Helicopter Sunday should be proof enough of a sure thing not happening up here!

Going by the estimated peak time for the corona virus in the UK (May 2020) and if more players are infected it could be six months before we play again - that’s a long time.

I think this will be much longer downtime than folks think.

maybe what might happen is if squads are fit teams may play friendlies behind closed doors to keep players fit and perhaps these could be shown or something But organised competition is by for a while I’d have thought

We have had a couple of digs from coronavirus thus far, I hope that I’m wrong, but I fear that at least 2 months away from the worst of it.

Fućk football we’ve all got parents / grand parents ; elderly relatives who could potentially fall foul of this hideous virus.

Football needs to get over itself.

Why would any of those companies pay that money up front when they themselves are going to go through a challenging time?

Nobody will be taking out Sky Sports packages, buying Now TV passes, subscribing to Premier. There's no chance their shareholders would ratify gifting next season's funds early when they're already going to take a hit. As nice as it would be, it's not going to happen.
I'm not sayING they pay any more. I'm saying the money they already pay / hand over should be distributed as a way of saving the game. Clubs will go to the wall with this.

This might even feck the EPL bubble also.
Maybe Sky/BT are entitled to a refund given their are no games. Maybe they will need to give less next time. Combination of no product / people cancelling.

Cases up and down the country are rising exponentially.

Every generation or so features a world event like this- when, despite how passionate we all are about football, reigns supreme.

I’m afraid football will simply need to be written off this season, your health is your wealth.

I think September is realistic but only for some kind of plan to be implemented for the next season. This season is now gone. Folk have to accept that.

No idea what would happen with promotion / relegation but to be honest, I don’t think no one does. There is time to work that out. Lots of time by the looks of it...

Who knows.
It’s a good opportunity for uefa and local bodies to rip it all up and bring in what they want.

- elite euro league
- Not quite elite but still decent Euro league
- Domestic leagues that feed the above
If going by Italia and England football will return in April unless something bad happens between then , Scotland would follow England as they did.

But this is a golden chance for UEFA to review the qaulifers

2 legs per round alone is a lot of football, I believe the qualifies should be a one off tie

But you have two options , neutral venue or luck of draw and do you do it Euro wide or regional.

To combat the fixture pile up going into next season, lowering the qualification fixtures is a must

The European completions seems done. They’ll be declared null and void.
The leagues are a different matter. The Scottish authorities are unimaginative cowards and will look to follow whatever the EPL do.
There will be such huge pressure on restarting the game in England - from Liverpool on course for their first title in 3 decades, from Leeds and WBA on the verge of promotion and the money that brings and from broadcasters who will be losing out on millions.

No one knows how Covid-19 will progress or what it’s full impact will be. But I would bet that unless we are facing a true catastrophe there will be an attempt
To restart the leagues in April.

Our next game could be with a whole new team!!
We are.looking at the other side of the summer transfer window I.m.o

If going by Italia and England football will return in April unless something bad happens between then , Scotland would follow England as they did.

But this is a golden chance for UEFA to review the qaulifers

2 legs per round alone is a lot of football, I believe the qualifies should be a one off tie

But you have two options , neutral venue or luck of draw and do you do it Euro wide or regional.

To combat the fixture pile up going into next season, lowering the qualification fixtures is a must
We won’t be back in April. Not a chance

The European completions seems done. They’ll be declared null and void.
The leagues are a different matter. The Scottish authorities are unimaginative cowards and will look to follow whatever the EPL do.
There will be such huge pressure on restarting the game in England - from Liverpool on course for their first title in 3 decades, from Leeds and WBA on the verge of promotion and the money that brings and from broadcasters who will be losing out on millions.

No one knows how Covid-19 will progress or what it’s full impact will be. But I would bet that unless we are facing a true catastrophe there will be an attempt
To restart the leagues in April.
Italy and England are saying early April
Germany is end of April

As I stated earlier unless something happens between then

One of the issues is flawed - overlap this season’s fixtures into next season’s
How can a relegation threatened team play any overlapped games? Surely the current campaign needs to finish either by playing or a decision made before any of next season’s fixtures take place

My guess is that most players will get it within the next month, and the leagues will be played to a mathematical conclusion behind closed doors.

On the basis that the Chinese have lied, and this goes back way earlier than first reported, we’re further into this than people possibly realise.

they are going to try and finish these leagues one way or another, if it gets so bad they will cancel it but there is no way with the amount of money and interest in it it finishes

Italy and England are saying early April
Germany is end of April

As I stated earlier unless something happens between then

I think early-April looks optimistic. There are multiple teams now with squads in self-isolation until the end of March at earliest.

As above, Bar this being a catastrophe that we are not yet fully appreciating, there will be huge pressure to finish this season. The legal and financial implications of it not being competed will be huge.

I dont think we'll start until late next year.

Uefa etc need to plan for next season and forget this.

SPFL, increase the league to 14 team, play each other twice, do away with replays in Scottish cup. Forget winter break as well, if needed, 1st weekend and mid week of the new year off, then back to it.

Internationals need to be curtailed as well. Teams need to get back to bread and butter, domestic leagues.

Hopefully when we have an experienced manager and a squad that won’t shyte the bed when we play the lower league teams.

Hard to say. Now that we’ve shut down we’ll probably be in line with the rest of Europe.

If it’s off for the next month or so then there isn’t really a lot of time to play the remaining fixtures/ cup ties before the European qualifiers kick in.

You’ve also got to account for transfer windows etc. Player contracts tend to end at the end of May with the transfer window opening again on 9th June. If leagues are on shut down will it also affect player movement?

The one bonus is that it will give our pitch a chance to recover.

Last edited:
It would be a great shame if clubs out-with the OF started to really struggle financially

giphy.gif

Back