The Celtic and Rangers title bottom line that makes me uncomfortable - Barry Ferguson

BlueMeanie

The Ibrox legend isn't convinced by claims Celtic should be declared champions.

Let's get one thing straight from the off. The decision to suspend Scottish football in the midst of the coronavirus crisis is 100 per cent the right thing to do.
Family and health before football. And that’s from someone who lives and breathes the game.
The inevitable questions now arise over what happens next?
I saw Scott Brown and Neil Lennon saying Celtic should be awarded the title if the Premiership was to end.
The majority of Rangers supporters obviously won’t stand for that.
I’ve been asked my opinion on it numerous times in the last 24 hours. I’m uncomfortable with the suggestion and I’ll tell you why.

This has nothing to do with it being Celtic. Everyone knows I’m a Rangers supporter but I’m also a football fan.

I’m in an important title race myself with Kelty Hearts in the Lowland League. We are six points ahead of Bonnyrigg Rose with five games to go and the carrot of a play-off into League Two for the winners. But I’m not expecting the title to be handed to us. Not when we can still be caught.
Mathematically, Celtic are catchable – that’s the bottom line. It might not happen and with the form Rangers are in it looks unlikely.
But at what point do you say, ‘OK, the league will end and all those at the top are crowned champions’?
What if after this break the momentum shifts back in Rangers’ favour like it swung towards Celtic after the winter break?
If, say, in two or three weeks this could go away then we can get back on the pitch and fight for three points and that’s fine.
What happens with relegation? That could be a far more financially important decision. What about Dundee United who are 14 clear in the Championship and finally look like the could go back up to the Premiership.

I’m really not sure about titles being awarded but, looking for a positive, this could now be a good time to consider expanding the leagues.
Teams are fighting at the top and bottom of every division. So, if the season was to end, perhaps the best thing would be to expand the leagues with promotion but no relegation.
I have always said that a 16-club Premiership would be better.
Overall it would benefit Scottish football because you would not be playing teams so many times.
So it’s a really good time to sit down and discuss expanding the leagues and making things far more interesting.
You have Dundee United and Dundee among four that could come up. Caley Thistle too.
This is the time to get round the table because the coronavirus is going to turn Scottish football upside down.
A bigger top flight could only help encourage managers to play more youngsters too.

I’m a big believer that if a player is good enough then he’s old enough. Look at Billy Gilmour at Chelsea. I just love to see a boy play with his head up and that is him down to a tee.
He always wants the ball, he swivels, he just looks like a lad who loves football and he is a breath of fresh air.
I would like to see him called up to Steve Clarke’s Scotland squad – not that the Euro 2020 play-off is going to happen now of course.
Going back to Thursday and I was surprised Rangers never got in Bayer Leverkusen’s faces in the first half. They gave them too much respect.
The second half was better because they pressed further up the park and you could see Leverkusen didn’t enjoy it.
No matter who we came up against when I was playing, we just had to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the top teams that came. I’m talking about Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Valencia … I could go through the list.
If you give a top player time on the ball then he is going to kill you, it’s as simple as that.
But when we got in their faces the fans began to roar and you could feel them the other night at that stage too.
At the end of the day though you see how much Bayer Leverkusen have spent on their team and there’s no doubt they are a good side.
Of course the Europa League return is suspended now and nobody knows what is going to happen.
This wee break – if that’s what it is to be – might do Rangers the world of good.
I was desperate for the winter break to finish and see if they could make a right fist of the title fight.

I’ve no idea what happened. Confidence is shot, you can see that in the players but they are the only ones who can put it right. It takes tough characters.
Alfredo Morelos is not the same player as before the winter break and I have no idea why.
The Colombian is not as sharp and his body language is not great. It’s very disappointing because there’s a real player in there.
I went through stages where I didn’t play well but he just seems to have no confidence and I don’t know if something has gone on behind the scenes.
He was a massive player the first six months of the season, the best I have seen him, and he seemed to have sorted his discipline problems too.
Teams will still be interested in him but the worry is also that his value will have dipped.
I thought Flo Kamberi made a big difference when he came on against Leverkusen.
And Steven Gerrard might have been tempted to drop Morelos for Kamberi if the Old Firm game was going ahead tomorrow.
It won’t and now we all wonder what happens next.
I have cancelled all Kelty training sessions for the next few weeks and am devising schedules for all my players to implement on their own.
I guess that will be similar up and down the country.
We really are in uncharted waters.

Not sure if it’s been on here but Alex Rae put on Twitter that if in a horse race all the horses bar one fall at the first hurdle and the remaining horse keeps running but falls at the last fence and doesn’t cross the running line then nobody wins

Good article from Barry. Agree with him on the 16 team league. Play everytime twice and have a few less games makes sense with so many international weekends and euro qualifiers

8 games less a season and potentially half the games against us/Them?

Not happening.

Not sure if it’s been on here but Alex Rae put on Twitter that if in a horse race all the horses bar one fall at the first hurdle and the remaining horse keeps running but falls at the last fence and doesn’t cross the running line then nobody wins

Saw that. Not the best analogy to be honest, and he's getting a bit of a ripping for it. Should've just left it.

Alex Rae putting the boot in on twitter aswell.

If a horse race over a mile starts and one horse is 10 lengths clear and the rest have fallen and the lead horse falls at the last hurdle do they give the lead horse the win as he was in front + does the bookies pay out as a winner ???

Asking for a friend ?

Ferguson is spot on.

If you give the beasts the title then every league needs to do the same. The courts will be dealing with claims against the SPFL for years, as multiple clubs will have been wrongly punished. Whether having a title chance denied, promotion taken away, relegated without finishing bottom, chance of European football stopped, etc.

I can see some clubs refusing to kick off next season over it.

Saw that. Not the best analogy to be honest, and he's getting a bit of a ripping for it. Should've just left it.
Would have been better saying if 1 horse was 16 lengths clear but they all fell at the last then nobody would win.
Alex is a fine bear but he sometimes doesn’t come across as the brightest. Nowhere near Derek Ferguson levels right enough.

Good article by Fergie. However, I can see them being crowned champions. Liewell will have somthing up his sleeve

Good article from Barry. Agree with him on the 16 team league. Play everytime twice and have a few less games makes sense with so many international weekends and euro qualifiers
This makes sense, but that's in short supply up here. TV will dictate they want 4 OF games a season and the nuggets in charge will kow tow to the TV cash cow.

There was a Grand National in 1993 where after 3(?) false starts the race was called off.

However, through all confusion, 30 horses ran the whole way. Some finished. One even "won".

But the race had been declared false start/void well before they crossed the line.

So, even though they actually crossed the line, and came first, the entire race had been called off ahead of that. No winner. Full stop.

Alex Rae putting the boot in on twitter aswell.

If a horse race over a mile starts and one horse is 10 lengths clear and the rest have fallen and the lead horse falls at the last hurdle do they give the lead horse the win as he was in front + does the bookies pay out as a winner ???

Asking for a friend ?
There wouldn't be any hurdles in a 1 mile horse race. My friend told me.

Some fair points must admit wasnt what i was expecting to read but again how can you even speak about this years title, the advantage Celtic have at the top, and not mention the amount of times refs have helped them out and caused Rangers problems. The whole carry on is an absolute farce anyway decided by guys like Bobby Madden or these friendly linesmen they have now. They deserve sfa.

Having listened to Keevins it seems the are quietly confident of getting the title due to widespread corruption, but if there must be a winner then make it a play off like rugby unfair on the team thats ahead but if they are so much better than Rangers they will be more than happy to prove it. Let them pick a friendly ref plenty to choose from (they would be picking mad boab or kev anyway).

A fair assessment from Barry. Anyone who is t a complete halfwit knows Celtic can’t simply be handed a title they haven’t actually won.

The board of the spfl are full of halfwits. You just know what will happen if they can't finish the games!

This is not simply about winning a league tho, it has other consequences. Let's just say the Tim's are awarded another tainted title, that also means they have the opportunity to qualify for the next champions league. In effect they would be getting the opportunity to get millions of pounds for free. Now we all know that they are still wetting themselves with the Res 12 pish, so what's the difference between the two.
The league should be null and void, European competition should be abandoned for a year until, hopefully, the virus is under some kind of control.

The board of the spfl are full of halfwits. You just know what will happen if they can't finish the games!
They will probably try, but will be taken to court I would imagine and they have already told us they have no cash to help clubs who will run into trouble.

Must’ve been a ghost writer for him, not his usual type of column.
Jokes aside, a decent, honest summary of the current situation.
Well said Baz.

I’m of the opinion that the rhats have been given a guarantee they’ll be awarded it.

I think it’s the exact opposite .

Celtic know the league will probably be voided so they’ve started putting out their message that they should be champions .

they’re terrified of losing nine this season .

I’m of the opinion that the rhats have been given a guarantee they’ll be awarded it.
They would have not be crowing about them still being given the title if they had guarantees.

To use a well worn, tiresome phrase from the past here..

They'd keep their powder dry.

It does seem there are a lot of halfwits out there though.
Exactly, and many of them will be involved in deciding where the title goes. You'd need to be an even bigger half wit not to understand that the SFA/SPFL will do all they can to dance to the tune of a specific club.

Unless he has the power to change the law I doubt it.
Any rule change I would imagine would require a 11-1 vote in favour. No way everyone will vote for the season ending as it stands.

Well ourselves and Heart aren’t going to agree to it for sure

The important thing here is that Ferguson is stating Celtic shouldn’t be handed the title.

Every ex Yahoo and tim apologist will be wheeled out to say they should in a bid to influence any decision that may have to be made further down the line so it’s vital that ex Rangers players in the media counter that.

The important thing here is that Ferguson is stating Celtic shouldn’t be handed the title.

Every ex Yahoo and tim apologist will be wheeled out to say they should in a bid to influence any decision that may have to be made further down the line so it’s vital that ex Rangers players in the media counter that.
Absolutely. This is when the real ex rangers players will show their true colours

A 30 game season? 8 less than now? And this is going to help small teams struggling for money?
No chance without some sort of a split to add games

Disgusting from Barry. Guys never a Rangers man. Panders to the tims all the time.

That's what I'm supposed to reply to these threads right??

I’m really not sure about titles being awarded but, looking for a positive, this could now be a good time to consider expanding the leagues.
Teams are fighting at the top and bottom of every division. So, if the season was to end, perhaps the best thing would be to expand the leagues with promotion but no relegation.
I have always said that a 16-club Premiership would be better.

Barry is correct on this front too.

We could do with only three professional tiers in Scotland.
  • Premiership (16 teams) 2 down, 3 with playoff.
  • Championship (16 teams) 2 up, 3 with playoff. 1 down, 2 with playoff
  • National League (12 teams, using same system Premiership uses now or 16 teams with Colts/more promotions from Highland & Lowland leagues) 1 up, 2 with playoff. 1 down with playoff.
At the moment, December, February and March are a complete mess. With Cup competitions and Europe, we were effectively playing a game every few days for months. Games that were postponed couldn't be played as there were no days to play them and then when you hit April/May all of a sudden there is only a game a week and the chaos of the preceding months suddenly stops.

A 38 game League season, reaching the latter rounds of the League Cup, Scottish Cup and Europe (including qualifying rounds) means that our team would be pushing a 70 game season. Then add in players going to national games and European Competition/Nations League/World Cup and you realize that some of them could get up to 150 games in 2 years.

Then there is the "These fuckers again!" fatigue. I swear we've played Kilmarnock about 11 times in two years and the matches are always the same.

Given how the new UEFA Conference League is likely to include a fair few top tier Scottish sides, the League cup is going to have to be restructured, so we might as well get ahead of the curve.

You could organize a 30 game domestic season with a game a week (that included a winter break and included international breaks) from August to the end of May .

League Cup, Europe and Scottish Cup games in midweeks. Have Challenge Cup games at the same time as the European Fixtures and you could have a uniform league structure.

Its not difficult

Last edited:
The league has to be void if all games are not complete and no one has won it.
Surely would be a legal mine feild if they were to award it to them.

Back