The Celtic and Rangers title bottom line that makes me uncomfortable - Barry Ferguson

Very good article from Barry Ferguson. He’s on the same hymn sheet as any level headed, non biased individual. The football authorities in this country cannot justifiably hand the title to Celtic. If there is any hint that they might, our club must fight tooth and nail to ensure it doesn’t happen. All in the name of sporting integrity, of course.

Not sure if it’s been on here but Alex Rae put on Twitter that if in a horse race all the horses bar one fall at the first hurdle and the remaining horse keeps running but falls at the last fence and doesn’t cross the running line then nobody wins
Indeed. I had already been thinking of the Devon Loch incident in the National.

A good article and pleasing to see one out of former players getting our viewpoint out there. The only thing I’d disagree with is that it’s not perhaps the best time to “get round a table”! Maybe an online meeting instead?

As I keep telling any Tim that mentions it there is a massive difference between unlikely and impossible.
Yes it’s unlikely we win it from here but it’s still possible so on that basis they don’t get handed the title.
Their form could have fell off a cliff just as quickly as ours and we could have got our shit together.
How many points were Newcastle ahead when Fergie Jedi mind tricked Keegan, I’m sure it was 12

There was a Grand National in 1993 where after 3(?) false starts the race was called off.

However, through all confusion, 30 horses ran the whole way. Some finished. One even "won".

But the race had been declared false start/void well before they crossed the line.

So, even though they actually crossed the line, and came first, the entire race had been called off ahead of that. No winner. Full stop.
The first and only time I had money on the "winner", that's just my kind of luck.

But handing them lot a title isn't that unusual as we've seen over recent years....

Barry is correct on this front too.

We could do with only three professional tiers in Scotland.
  • Premiership (16 teams) 2 down, 3 with playoff.
  • Championship (16 teams) 2 up, 3 with playoff. 1 down, 2 with playoff
  • National League (12 teams, using same system Premiership uses now or 16 teams with Colts/more promotions from Highland & Lowland leagues) 1 up, 2 with playoff. 1 down with playoff.
At the moment, December, February and March are a complete mess. With Cup competitions and Europe, we were effectively playing a game every few days for months. Games that were postponed couldn't be played as there were no days to play them and then when you hit April/May all of a sudden there is only a game a week and the chaos of the preceding months suddenly stops.

A 38 game League season, reaching the latter rounds of the League Cup, Scottish Cup and Europe (including qualifying rounds) means that our team would be pushing a 70 game season. Then add in players going to national games and European Competition/Nations League/World Cup and you realize that some of them could get up to 150 games in 2 years.

Then there is the "These fuckers again!" fatigue. I swear we've played Kilmarnock about 11 times in two years and the matches are always the same.

Given how the new UEFA Conference League is likely to include a fair few top tier Scottish sides, the League cup is going to have to be restructured, so we might as well get ahead of the curve.

You could organize a 30 game domestic season with a game a week (that included a winter break and included international breaks) from August to the end of May .

League Cup, Europe and Scottish Cup games in midweeks. Have Challenge Cup games at the same time as the European Fixtures and you could have a uniform league structure.

Its not difficult
You make a lot of good points here mate.

I’m of the opinion that the rhats have been given a guarantee they’ll be awarded it.

If it isn't possible to find a way to play it out then being awarded it on the basis they've declared it as a foregone conclusion will make their string of tainted titles look almost clean.

Who writes this for him, I don’t read it and the headlines are usually an embarrassment

Saw that. Not the best analogy to be honest, and he's getting a bit of a ripping for it. Should've just left it.

Really? What a bizarre stance!

Yourself & mentally challengeds are the only people i've seen of this opinion...

Alex Raes tweet has 5k+ likes on twitter...compare & contrast to your big fat zero like on FF.

Back