Heart and Hand - David Martindale Interview

He comes across really well. Very honest, very humble. Not at all shirking away from his past.

amazing that he had to get his UEFA licence via the Irish FA as the Scottish FA took issue with his conviction(s).

certainly bettered himself.

Reactions: fmp
Not my favourite person if I’m being honest. A lot of families in the west of Scotland will still be dealing with the destruction from what the guy done.
I’m happy he’s turned his life round. But remember every time he’s on the tv he will be a flashback to some poor family.

This is excellent and Steven Harrigan does it again

Wee story about Steven. When I did 4lads pods he was constantly in contact, sharing contacts or setting up interviews for us

Nothing but helpful

This will be a great listen - well done H&H
There is no doubt that Steven is so knowledgeable about the game generally and his questions are just spot on. Love all his stuff.

Not my favourite person if I’m being honest. A lot of families in the west of Scotland will still be dealing with the destruction from what the guy done.
I’m happy he’s turned his life round. But remember every time he’s on the tv he will be a flashback to some poor family.
I don’t buy that thought process and I have a couple of family members who were junkies. 1 of whom died taking smack, I never blame the dealer and none of my family do either.

He wasn’t exactly Scotland’s answer to El Chapo.

If people want those sort of things they’ll get them from somewhere.

He served his time. Move on.

Nonsense wind ur neck in man! Every one has a chance to turn their life around!

I used to play in the same team as him, under 13s or 14s. Will give this a listen.

He was the subject of Radio 4's Profile programme this morning. Mentioned he was at Rangers as a youth but broke his leg and moved to another club before going to Junior football.

He is now hoping to visit prisons to deliver talks on how he turned his life around.

Was going to post about that. Really enjoyable listen.

amazing that he had to get his UEFA licence via the Irish FA as the Scottish FA took issue with his conviction(s).

certainly bettered himself.
The Irish FA are highly regarded for their coaching courses even the likes of Mourinho, Sven Goran Erikson and quite a few other big names have attended down the years.

Really enjoyed that. Was interesting to get another teams manager on the show to listen to how they go about their business.

He seems like a genuine down to earth guy, looks at the game the way a lot of us do. Wish him all the best, except against us ofc.

Id hazard a guess here and say your an older bear or come from a middle class background ?

most drug dealers these days are the young teams of yesteryear and nearly every second street there’s someone punting in most schemes lol.

This thing that drug dealers are dealers in death and not to be fucked with isn’t true for the majority of them, just guys that are out to make an extra coin with loose morals. Considering there’s probably more folk who take Speed or Charlie than there is don’t in most circles then i don’t get why this think of the damage they do patter

and no I don’t punt afore that gets mentioned I’m to fond of a patsy lol but the guy just seems like a regular run of the mill kinda person that’s progressed in life, done his debt to society so what’s folks problems

I’m delighted he’s turned his life round. But it does not sit comfortable with me.
It's your opinion mate, but he is at no time suggesting he did no wrong, in fact he fairly beats himself up. We all have our views. I was mindful of his past but as I mentioned in response to one poster, I was impressed with his coaching views. I'm almost sorry I mentioned the pod as we even have him compared to Ian Brady now.

Wee story about Steven. When I did 4lads pods he was constantly in contact, sharing contacts or setting up interviews for us

Nothing but helpful

He comes across exactly how you've described him, always a good listen as well.

What a fantastic interview and my respect for this fella has gone up by quite a bit.
Just accidentally reposted. Great interview. He’s perhaps a tad pseudo intellectual having done a building degree but all in all a great interview well done by Stephen.
Good to see our fan media give a fair platform to the managers of other teams.

It's your opinion mate, but he is at no time suggesting he did no wrong, in fact he fairly beats himself up. We all have our views. I was mindful of his past but as I mentioned in response to one poster, I was impressed with his coaching views. I'm almost sorry I mentioned the pod as we even have him compared to Ian Brady now.
It’s noise mate, ignore it. The guy committed dreadful crimes and was punished for it. Having served that sentence, why would anyone want him not to life a normal, upstanding life? Who would possibly benefit from closing doors on him, or any other ex convict?

He says himself he doesn‘t think criminals should be afforded opportunities “normal” people don’t get. But I personally wonder if you’re going to say “he shouldn’t be a manager because he served time” then where does the line get drawn? No job? Lock ‘em up and throw away the key?

And it'll also show young folk who have already made similar mistakes as he did that it's not too late to turn your life around. Some of us grow up with parents who set an example, act as a role model etc. Young people who are already on the path to spending their life in and out of jail also need people to look up to in order to show that it's not pointless trying to change. If those convicted of criminal offences aren't afforded the chance to rehabilitate, all that's left for them is to become hardened criminals; there's no deterrent.

I have a cousin who was convicted of culpable homicide as a teenager. Within a year of finally being released, he was back in jail convicted of murder. I spoke to him before his release and he was enthusiastic about getting out of jail, staying somewhere quiet, keeping out of trouble; spoke about getting a dog to keep a routine. Once he was out he found that difficult. He spoke to me once waxing lyrical about how great it must have been for me to grow up with my parents - his were junkies and neglected their kids. My point there is he never, at any stage, had that in his life. Not as a child, not in borstal, not in prison and not when he was released. I seen first hand how a lack of hope or seeing any other options killed his spirit.

Not getting into the topic of drug dealing as I think that's too much and not straightforward, but I don't think it's as simple as anyone involved should be relegated to the fringes of society even after they turn their life around. Especially someone like Martindale who wants to help others do the same. Otherwise what's the point?

Just listened to it there. Stevie & David both have proper accents, sounded like 2 punters off the street talking about football!

Good listen!

Steven’s interviews have always been superb and the range of guests he gets always make it interesting.

Nothing but helpful

One of the podders I never miss on H&H

And it'll also show young folk who have already made similar mistakes as he did that it's not too late to turn your life around. Some of us grow up with parents who set an example, act as a role model etc. Young people who are already on the path to spending their life in and out of jail also need people to look up to in order to show that it's not pointless trying to change. If those convicted of criminal offences aren't afforded the chance to rehabilitate, all that's left for them is to become hardened criminals; there's no deterrent.

I have a cousin who was convicted of culpable homicide as a teenager. Within a year of finally being released, he was back in jail convicted of murder. I spoke to him before his release and he was enthusiastic about getting out of jail, staying somewhere quiet, keeping out of trouble; spoke about getting a dog to keep a routine. Once he was out he found that difficult. He spoke to me once waxing lyrical about how great it must have been for me to grow up with my parents - his were junkies and neglected their kids. My point there is he never, at any stage, had that in his life. Not as a child, not in borstal, not in prison and not when he was released. I seen first hand how a lack of hope or seeing any other options killed his spirit.

Not getting into the topic of drug dealing as I think that's too much and not straightforward, but I don't think it's as simple as anyone involved should be relegated to the fringes of society even after they turn their life around. Especially someone like Martindale who wants to help others do the same. Otherwise what's the point?
You make an excellent point about young people. I volunteer with a charity that helps troubled teenagers. Just spending a bit of time with them at hte times they are most likely to get into bother. It makes a difference to the outcomes. They are decent enough kids that just haven't had a chance with the start they have had in life. In a smaller community everyone knows your business and certain surnames are enough to have you mapped for failure by the system.

Positive role models are key. Not talking inspirational people, just ordinary people who can communicate with them. On of the lads I spent some time with had a cracking social worker, he was form a family of known jailbirds. He was headed the same way, She worked very hard with him and he got an apprenticeship in construction and is now a tradesman. Absolutely huge for him, wouldn't have happened without the help he got.

My point here is we all need a chance in life, sometimes a second chance as well, but also we need help at different times in our lives. If more people gave a wee bit to help there could be so many different outcomes. This isn't all about money it is about people. The interventions don't cost a lot.

Latest posts

Back