Black history month - your favourite black Rangers players.

evo14

Official Ticketer
Since it’s black history month, it seems a good time to remember the black men who have contributed to our club over the years. I’m 36 so there’s some players I know of but don’t have much of a memory of (Such as Mark Walters), but I’ll go through just a few of the notable mentions.

Walter Tull - Long before even my grandmothers time, but Rangers first black player and the first black officer in the British Army. A genuine inspiration of a man who, given the time he lived in, must have worked incredibly hard to get to his position.

In my lifetime -

Rod Wallace - I remember being underwhelmed when Dick Advocaat was buying half the Dutch national team then signed some dude on a free from Leeds. Boy, was I wrong. 41 goals and 5 trophies in 2 years and was one of my favourite players around that time. Had a big Rod Wallace poster on my bedroom wall. You could have put him on your coupon to score every week in that first season.

Marvin Andrews - What more can I say? Admittedly not the best player, but a fantastic man and a great ambassador for our club. I’ve spoken to him a few times and a nicer man you could not meet. He’d climb Everest without a question if you told him it’d make £20 for charity. His speech at Ricksen’s funeral could have brought a tear to a glass eye.

Jean-Alain Bounsong - We only had him 6 months and I thought he was a genuinely world class defender who would walk into any squad in the world. Went on to do very well at Newcastle (and earned us a nice fee into the bargain), Jueventus and Lyon.

Ugo Ehiogu - Came in with Walter Smith and with Davie Weir, and rescued our defence. Also scored an overhead kick v the scum at a Parkhead. Also loved this quote….

"But going to a club like that we didn't even discuss a contract really. It was just, 'do you want to play for Rangers?' When Walter Smith is on the phone asking you that the answer is always yes.“

Jean Claude Darcheville - An integral part of our squad on the road to Manchester. Always liked him at Middlesbrough and didn’t know until years later that his wife and kids were killed in a car crash during his time there. His miss against Lyon was a blessing in disguise that year. I remember seeing him go mental in friendlies a few times too!

Daniel Cousin - His attitude at times was honking but on his day he was brilliant. I remember thinking Walter Smith was off his head starting Cousin and Miller v Celtic at Parkhead (Cousin having been out of favour for a bit, and Miller hadn’t scored for us yet) only for the pair of them to rip Celtic apart in a 4-2 win.

Sone Aluko - Again, another underwhelming signing who turned out to be outstanding. He had it all, skill pace and a penchant for spectacular goals - his opening goal in the 3-2 win over Celtic was one of my favourite ever goals.

James Tavernier - The Captain who I’ll be telling my grandchildren stopped the 10. Stayed with us through very testing times and scored a barrel load too. His contribution to Rangers, on and off the park, over the last 6 years have been priceless.

A few notable players who perhaps didn’t quite do so well for us were Basil Boli. I remember being really excited as he brought a lot of prestige with him but never seemed to settle with us and only stayed a year (I think). I was also excited when we signed Emerson. Not sure what happened under Big Eck but he never done anything of note other than scramble the ball across the line in a CL game v Panathanikos. Oddly, I seen him play in a CL game v Hearts a few years later for AEK Athens and he ran the show, couldn’t believe it was the same player.

Obviously there are literally dozens I’ve missed - even Aribo, Kamara from our current squad - but I’d be here typing all day otherwise. What day ye gents of FF? What black players, for you, have been important to Rangers over the years?

Last edited:
Marvin Andrews is genuinely one of the nicest human beings I've ever met. An absolute gent, his big booming voice and smile lit up a dull December afternoon.

In terms of favourite black Rangers player? Glen Kamara is getting there tbh he just oozes class. But it absolutely has to be James "I wank dugs" Tavernier. One of my all time favourites now

Mark Walters was before my time but nothing but respect for what he went through and stood up to.

Struggling to think of any that I’ve loved more than Morelos. Tavernier maybe.

Mark Walters was my all time favourite due to being absolutely top drawer, his shuffles, superb delivery, goals v the jungles and could trap a balloon in a hurricane!
Morelos has to be one of the best value buys ever for Rangers, his goals have carried us to glory. I adore the Buffalo, it will be a proud but sad day when he leaves.
The only player I didn’t like and still can’t stand is Ian fúcking Black!

We can almost definitely pick a Black XI now:

Foderingham
Tavernier Goldson Andrews Bassey
Kamara Aribo Walters
Roofe Morelos Wallace
Am I right in thinking Beasley also played LB sometimes? Could put him in for Bassey.

Other honourable mentions from my time:

Cousin
Ehiogu
Balogun
Latapy
Defoe
Edu

Could easily also go for:

Fod
Goldson Ehiogu Andrews
Tavernier-------------------------Beasley
Kamara Walters
Roofe Morelos Wallace​

When I was a kid I remember being undecided on who my favourite Rangers player was, it was between Coisty and Mark Walters. I think I used to change my answer every week when someone asked me. For me that speaks a lot about how good Walters was.

Reactions: TQ3

Foderingham
Kamara Aribo Bacuna
Roofe Morelos Walters
Am I right in thinking Beasley also played LB sometimes? Could put him in for Bassey.

Cousin
Ehiogu
Balogun
Latapy
Defoe
Edu
Rod Wallace!

Foderingham
Kamara Aribo Walters
Roofe Morelos Wallace

Cousin
Ehiogu
Balogun
Latapy
Defoe
Edu

Could easily also go for:

Fod
Goldson Ehiogu Andrews
Tavernier-------------------------Beasley
Kamara Walters
Roofe Morelos Wallace​
No Fanfan?:D

No Fanfan?:D

Nope.

intro-1574100890.jpg

El Hadji Diouf. Came in with a bad reputation but he responded well to a strong, no-nonsense manager. The filth utterly despised him and he in turn, hated them right back. Kept his temper in the face of goading from that ugly cretin Brown and had the last laugh with a league and cup double at the end of the season.

Mark Walters it was an impossibility to remain in your seat when Mark was on the ball.
Was delighted when we signed him as Saint&Greavsie had a feature on him a few years earlier where they showcased the future stars
Yet to meet a Rangers fan who didn't rate him highly
Paid the filth back tenfold

I think it's great people are pointing out that colour doesnt matter - we really are an inclusive club and the race, sexuality or religion of any of our players makes no difference.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with celebrating our diversity and like @Badger mentions it's the same as telling stories of our favourite Dutch players (Gio, Numan) or similar.

Mark Walters was my first ever favourite player, although specific memories are a bit vague.
Rod Wallace playing his way into our hearts
Big Marvin is a legend and his "Keep Believing" mantra was 100% spot on!
Tav with the journey to 55 and his contributions has developed into a proper Rangers captain.
And Morelos... obviously.

Back