Black history month - your favourite black Rangers players.

Regardless of colour ... Mark Walters is one of my favourite Rangers players of all time .... and I say that as someone who's idol (Coop) he replaced in the team

These are exactly my thoughts on the matter. Walters was a genius and a gentleman. He will forever be in a list of my favourite Rangers, regardless of colour.

However, since we are celebrating favourite Players and the fact they happen to be black: Marv, Rod Wallace and Tav will always be standouts for me.

Mark Walters. A sublime player, and a gentleman. Represents everything we as fans want our Rangers players to be. Had Scottish defences on toast back at a time, when some crazy tackles went unpunished.

Reactions: TQ3
Since it’s black history month, it seems a good time to remember the black men who have contributed to our club over the years. I’m 36 so there’s some players I know of but don’t have much of a memory of (Such as Mark Walters), but I’ll go through just a few of the notable mentions.

Walter Tull - Long before even my grandmothers time, but Rangers first black player and the first black officer in the British Army. A genuine inspiration of a man who, given the time he lived in, must have worked incredibly hard to get to his position.

In my lifetime -

Rod Wallace - I remember being underwhelmed when Dick Advocaat was buying half the Dutch national team then signed some dude on a free from Leeds. Boy, was I wrong. 41 goals and 5 trophies in 2 years and was one of my favourite players around that time. Had a big Rod Wallace poster on my bedroom wall. You could have put him on your coupon to score every week in that first season.

Marvin Andrews - What more can I say? Admittedly not the best player, but a fantastic man and a great ambassador for our club. I’ve spoken to him a few times and a nicer man you could not meet. He’d climb Everest without a question if you told him it’d make £20 for charity. His speech at Ricksen’s funeral could have brought a tear to a glass eye.

Jean-Alain Bounsong - We only had him 6 months and I thought he was a genuinely world class defender who would walk into any squad in the world. Went on to do very well at Newcastle (and earned us a nice fee into the bargain), Jueventus and Lyon.

Ugo Ehiogu - Came in with Walter Smith and with Davie Weir, and rescued our defence. Also scored an overhead kick v the scum at a Parkhead. Also loved this quote….

"But going to a club like that we didn't even discuss a contract really. It was just, 'do you want to play for Rangers?' When Walter Smith is on the phone asking you that the answer is always yes.“

Jean Claude Darcheville - An integral part of our squad on the road to Manchester. Always liked him at Middlesbrough and didn’t know until years later that his wife and kids were killed in a car crash during his time there. His miss against Lyon was a blessing in disguise that year. I remember seeing him go mental in friendlies a few times too!

Daniel Cousin - His attitude at times was honking but on his day he was brilliant. I remember thinking Walter Smith was off his head starting Cousin and Miller v Celtic at Parkhead (Cousin having been out of favour for a bit, and Miller hadn’t scored for us yet) only for the pair of them to rip Celtic apart in a 4-2 win.

Sone Aluko - Again, another underwhelming signing who turned out to be outstanding. He had it all, skill pace and a penchant for spectacular goals - his opening goal in the 3-2 win over Celtic was one of my favourite ever goals.

James Tavernier - The Captain who I’ll be telling my grandchildren stopped the 10. Stayed with us through very testing times and scored a barrel load too. His contribution to Rangers, on and off the park, over the last 6 years have been priceless.

A few notable players who perhaps didn’t quite do so well for us were Basil Boli. I remember being really excited as he brought a lot of prestige with him but never seemed to settle with us and only stayed a year (I think). I was also excited when we signed Emerson. Not sure what happened under Big Eck but he never done anything of note other than scramble the ball across the line in a CL game v Panathanikos. Oddly, I seen him play in a CL game v Hearts a few years later for AEK Athens and he ran the show, couldn’t believe it was the same player.

Obviously there are literally dozens I’ve missed - even Aribo, Kamara from our current squad - but I’d be here typing all day otherwise. What day ye gents of FF? What black players, for you, have been important to Rangers over the years?
Mark walters was the best an amazing talent and humble human being!
A fantastic servant to Rangers

Aribo.
Although I like to think the colour of a player doesn’t register with me nowadays. Years ago it was a novelty to have black players playing in Scotland now I would have to think how many we have.
It’s not the first thing that I notice.

Another for Mark Walters. Defenders knew the shuffle/step over was coming and still couldn’t do a thing about it

Darcheville. Dont know why but always really liked him.
Same here, loved the big guy.

The way commentators said his name on fifa/pro evo sounded like dracula from sesame street.

DaAaAaAarsheeeeeVeeeel

The 10 minute rant Spew Keevins did on Super score board about how JCD '' Just isn't shaped like a footballer '' Complaining about the big mans size and how easy it was to just shoulder folk off the ball. I don't think it was a dig at his size as in fat, he was just greetin because he was too big.

And of course, his celebration.

I only wished we had him when he was younger, he would have been a demon for us.

When I was a kid I remember being undecided on who my favourite Rangers player was, it was between Coisty and Mark Walters. I think I used to change my answer every week when someone asked me. For me that speaks a lot about how good Walters was.

Same for me.

I wanted to be Ally McCoist but my favourite player was Mark Walters. I have them both in my all time Rangers XI.

Mark Walters was some player. Even after retiring, he was fantastic in the masters games.

Disco Dale Gordon has got to get a mention!

Mark Walters and his dancing feet produced so many great moments in his time at Rangers.
I also loved his smiling face after a goal.
It just enshrined pure joy.

But I have to say, I also love Alfie's scowl that tells you the wee man is totally focused on the task at hand.

Probably more ‘deserving’ players, Walters just before my time, Alfie and his cheeky wee smile but I always find myself coming back to this. Great big smile anytime I watch it B-D

Mark Walters is my fav just for his skill and tormenting the scum on the pitch following their treatment of him on his debut.

Big Marv gets a special mention because of his contribution in 05 plus off the park he is a person who represents our club even to this day with such dignity and enthusiasm.

Not just my favourite black player but up there with super Cooper as one of my favourite all time Rangers players is Mr Mark Everton Walters, his first touch was sublime his crossing & dribbling impeccable and he had an eye or two for a goal especially against the bheasts.

I utterly adored 'Flash' -
His skills & ability were truly awesome

The ridiculous $hite he had to put up with from septic at the piggery for example - was horrific -
Yet he got his head down & got on with it

I've got nothing but admiration, respect & appreciation of his talent, his character & temperament

Mark Walters.

One of my heroes growing up. Absolutely unplayable on his day.

Would have been a club legend if he'd stayed another few years

Mark Walters was just a great Rangers winger and in the tradition of those great Rangers wingers was both a match winner and a great entertainer.

The one and only Mark Walters. It would have been so easy for him to head back South after his introduction to Scottish football , but he toughed it out on his own. Furthermore he made sure the clubs concerned suffered at his hands.

Since it’s black history month, it seems a good time to remember the black men who have contributed to our club over the years. I’m 36 so there’s some players I know of but don’t have much of a memory of (Such as Mark Walters), but I’ll go through just a few of the notable mentions.

Walter Tull - Long before even my grandmothers time, but Rangers first black player and the first black officer in the British Army. A genuine inspiration of a man who, given the time he lived in, must have worked incredibly hard to get to his position.

In my lifetime -

Rod Wallace - I remember being underwhelmed when Dick Advocaat was buying half the Dutch national team then signed some dude on a free from Leeds. Boy, was I wrong. 41 goals and 5 trophies in 2 years and was one of my favourite players around that time. Had a big Rod Wallace poster on my bedroom wall. You could have put him on your coupon to score every week in that first season.

Marvin Andrews - What more can I say? Admittedly not the best player, but a fantastic man and a great ambassador for our club. I’ve spoken to him a few times and a nicer man you could not meet. He’d climb Everest without a question if you told him it’d make £20 for charity. His speech at Ricksen’s funeral could have brought a tear to a glass eye.

Jean-Alain Bounsong - We only had him 6 months and I thought he was a genuinely world class defender who would walk into any squad in the world. Went on to do very well at Newcastle (and earned us a nice fee into the bargain), Jueventus and Lyon.

Ugo Ehiogu - Came in with Walter Smith and with Davie Weir, and rescued our defence. Also scored an overhead kick v the scum at a Parkhead. Also loved this quote….

"But going to a club like that we didn't even discuss a contract really. It was just, 'do you want to play for Rangers?' When Walter Smith is on the phone asking you that the answer is always yes.“

Jean Claude Darcheville - An integral part of our squad on the road to Manchester. Always liked him at Middlesbrough and didn’t know until years later that his wife and kids were killed in a car crash during his time there. His miss against Lyon was a blessing in disguise that year. I remember seeing him go mental in friendlies a few times too!

Daniel Cousin - His attitude at times was honking but on his day he was brilliant. I remember thinking Walter Smith was off his head starting Cousin and Miller v Celtic at Parkhead (Cousin having been out of favour for a bit, and Miller hadn’t scored for us yet) only for the pair of them to rip Celtic apart in a 4-2 win.

Sone Aluko - Again, another underwhelming signing who turned out to be outstanding. He had it all, skill pace and a penchant for spectacular goals - his opening goal in the 3-2 win over Celtic was one of my favourite ever goals.

James Tavernier - The Captain who I’ll be telling my grandchildren stopped the 10. Stayed with us through very testing times and scored a barrel load too. His contribution to Rangers, on and off the park, over the last 6 years have been priceless.

A few notable players who perhaps didn’t quite do so well for us were Basil Boli. I remember being really excited as he brought a lot of prestige with him but never seemed to settle with us and only stayed a year (I think). I was also excited when we signed Emerson. Not sure what happened under Big Eck but he never done anything of note other than scramble the ball across the line in a CL game v Panathanikos. Oddly, I seen him play in a CL game v Hearts a few years later for AEK Athens and he ran the show, couldn’t believe it was the same player.

Obviously there are literally dozens I’ve missed - even Aribo, Kamara from our current squad - but I’d be here typing all day otherwise. What day ye gents of FF? What black players, for you, have been important to Rangers over the years?
What ever happened to Dale Gordon ?

Can you imagine if stats were compiled back then in terms of goals and assists?
His stats would be incredible and how do you measure the entertainment he provided?
There are very few players who could get you out of your seat as often as Walters

As said earlier in the thread,he had every schoolboy trying to perfect the double shuffle.

He scored and created loads of goals for us. He was pure entertainment but was also ruthless in front of goal

I think Walters is the most important by a distance for what he was put through by the racists in Scottish football who seemed to think racism was excusable when the victim was a Rangers player. Plus ca change. He also just happened to be one of our best players ever. It’s forgotten just how good he was because Laudrup came so soon after.

Rod Wallace and Gio Van B - integral parts of one of the best footballing teams we’ve ever had.

Marvin Andrews - will always be associated with 22nd May, 2005, one of the best days ever following the club

Alfredo Morelos and Glen Kamara - cases in point showing not much has changed when it comes to Scottish football’s treatment of black players that play for Rangers. They are to be abused with impunity and doubted by the very same people who see bigotry and racism almost everywhere else.

Tav and Conor Goldson - respectively captain and our most consistent player in delivering the most important title ever.

Ian or Kenny Black !!! B-) .........In all seriousness though, Mark Walters and Hot Rod Wallace for me. Also my thoughts turn to big Ugo Ehiogu, who is sadly missed. His winning goal and particularly his celebration at Parkhead will always be fondly remembered..........

We can almost definitely pick a Black XI now:

Foderingham
Tavernier Goldson Andrews Bassey
Kamara Aribo Walters
Roofe Morelos Wallace
Am I right in thinking Beasley also played LB sometimes? Could put him in for Bassey.

Other honourable mentions from my time:

Cousin
Ehiogu
Balogun
Latapy
Defoe
Edu

Could easily also go for:

Fod
Goldson Ehiogu Andrews
Tavernier-------------------------Beasley
Kamara Walters
Roofe Morelos Wallace​
Balogun and Cousins definite starters for me.

Big Marv easy. What a guy. What an attitude. Only player to play with the power of god inside him. Legend in my eyes.

Foderingham also, purely for saving Browns penalty in that Semi-Final!!!

In my lifetime -

Great post but is Alfie self identifying as white now?

Good thread. Mark Walters Gets my vote. You mentioned Tav and stopping the 10 OP. For me it wasn’t about stopping a fake 10 but about regaining our rightful place and getting 55 after our tribulations. Best ever title in my opinion.
Alfie has sometimes dragged us along single handedly to our place back at the top, despite some sub-standard players in some of our teams. Alfie closely followed by Tav simply because he more than any other gave us our pride back. He single handedly started battering the scvm after years of laying down to them.

Back