If it comes to it,could we get better than Steven Gerrard?

Baxter Blue

First of all no way do I want Gerrard to leave. However it’s possible that he could be tempted to go by big luxurious offers.
Realistically though I think we could still get a better manager tactically. What I do think though is that Gerrard has pulling power for better players in our league whereas a better tactician manager could struggle in this area. What do you think? Could we do better than Steven Gerrard?

It would depend, if you mean on the same wages? Possibly not. With a larger budget? Of course.

You always see names like Farve, Jardim etc. mentioned which to me is just pie in the sky stuff. Newcastle with all their cash would be doing well to get them to relocate. Someone in the thread the other day mentioned Gareth Southgate ffs.

Celtic were more than flirting with Gerardo Seoane but he never had any intention of coming to Scotland.

On the flipside, we can definitely do better than the likes of Davidson.

There's a happy medium to be found between the two. Someone like Jesse Marsch isn't having a great time at Leipzig, but I wonder if he would be tempted if it went awry there and he found himself out of a job.

Would he be better than Gerrard? Achievement wise so far, it's hard to argue otherwise.

Obviously we could. He is very pro Rangers with media work, but sometimes his decision making is questionable with team selection and substitutions. He has certainly improved over his 3 seasons, but there will be many better managers throughout Europe.

It's a strange question because we don't really know how good Gerrard could be yet. He is improving season on season.

If he was to leave at the end of the season could we attract a higher calibre of Manager than we could before he joined? Absolutely yes. Would we definitely attract a better quality Manager than Gerrard? Not so sure.

Only results from the new guy would determine that.

Everyone and their granny had Le Guen as a upgrade on McLeish for example and rightly so. Results didn't prove it.

What I will say is that when SG and co leave, I fully expect a higher class of manager to be linked than when we doing our last manager hunt in 17/18 and we were being hit with McInnes, Alex Neil, Tommy Wright and Graeme Murty left, right and centre

Only results from the new guy would determine that.

Everyone and their granny had Le Guen as a upgrade on McLeish for example and rightly so. Results didn't prove it.

What I will say is that when SG and co leave, I fully expect a higher class of manager to be linked than when we doing our last manager hunt in 17/18 and we were being hit with McInnes, Alex Neil, Tommy Wright and Graeme Murty left, right and centre
That’s an excellent point.

I personally think Gerrard knows within himself to go to a big rich club would be to soon for him. He needs to delay,win another title with us and prove he is not a flash in the pan. To go to a big club in England or elsewhere and fail,he could face no way back.

They had Rodgers and we've got Gerrard it's not inconceivable that good managers will come here however it's all about finding the right one Gasperini of Atalanta was managing an even smaller club in genoa before he went to Atalanta I don't see how we couldn't attract someone like that before there profile gets to big. Urs Fischer at Union Berlin is someone I'd hope we'd be looking at there's plenty good coach's outside the UK in good leagues like Germany Italy and Spain who do well with smaller clubs that would come here for a crack at champions league football and to manage a bug club like I said its all about finding them at the right time

When SG leaves for the EPL on the back of success at Rangers, we'll find out how (un)easy it is to get an upgrade.

We could very easily end up with a lemon on the back of a roulette wheel spin by the Rangers board.

Gerrard will get better. We need to keep him for as long as we can.

IMO if Newcastle want him they will get him, only time will tell if we get someone better, we won't get a more high profile person than Gerrard. I reckon Newcastle will go for a proven manager and won't class Stevie G in that category.

It is hard to find a good manager these days, celtic were looking for ages and probably have about the same salary budget as us, but the best candidate they could find was Angebollocks.

There's so many project manager types out there now choosing a new manager is very tricky.

Guys like Poyet, Petrescu etc. They go in and do it they're way, if it doesn't work they just leave and wait for the next job. There's very little emotion involved. Almost like golf pros that make a living just finishing in the top 50 at tournaments.

I honestly have no idea where we go after Gerrard, regardless of how he leaves. What Warburton through to Gerrard should have taught all of is however is that the personality; the ability to take the club on your shoulders and push forward is the biggest factor in succeeding as Rangers manager, good coaches can help you with the rest.

Not sure there's many of those types about.

There's so many project manager types out there now choosing a new manager is very tricky.

Guys like Poyet, Petrescu etc. They go in and do it they're way, if it doesn't work they just leave and wait for the next job. There's very little emotion involved. Almost like golf pros that make a living just finishing in the top 50 at tournaments.

I honestly have no idea where we go after Gerrard, regardless of how he leaves. What Warburton through to Gerrard should have taught all of is however is that the personality; the ability to take the club on your shoulders and push forward is the biggest factor in succeeding as Rangers manager, good coaches can help you with the rest.

Not sure there's many of those types about.

Like we can do better than Davidson, we're surely above names like Poyet and Petrescu now.

Reactions: VGM
IMO if Newcastle want him they will get him, only time will tell if we get someone better, we won't get a more high profile person than Gerrard. I reckon Newcastle will go for a proven manager and won't class Stevie G in that category.
I don’t think Gerrard would go to Newcastle & it doesn’t bother me regard how much more money he can earn or budget he has to spend…the only job he wants after us is Liverpool. He’s a shrewd operator & he knows he can have huge success with us here in Scotland which can lead him to his dream job. In England it’s a lot tougher to be successful.

First of all no way do I want Gerrard to leave. However it’s possible that he could be tempted to go by big luxurious offers.
Realistically though I think we could still get a better manager tactically. What I do think though is that Gerrard has pulling power for better players in our league whereas a better tactician manager could struggle in this area. What do you think? Could we do better than Steven Gerrard?
There was life after
Struth
Wallace
Souness
Smith
Etc

There will be life after Gerrard bud.

Club is bigger than any one person.

Last edited:
The slight problem with the next one, whoever it is, will need to hit the ground running. Gerrard was rightly given time to build a squad, but the next one will be taking over a decent squad and hopefully the league champions. So results will be expected right away

You always see names like Farve, Jardim etc. mentioned which to me is just pie in the sky stuff. Newcastle with all their cash would be doing well to get them to relocate. Someone in the thread the other day mentioned Gareth Southgate ffs.

Celtic were more than flirting with Gerardo Seoane but he never had any intention of coming to Scotland.

There's a happy medium to be found between the two. Someone like Jesse Marsch isn't having a great time at Leipzig, but I wonder if he would be tempted if it went awry there and he found himself out of a job.

Would he be better than Gerrard? Achievement wise so far, it's hard to argue otherwise.
Celtic were after Gerardo Seoane??

I think the Denmark coach would be a good shout,seems to get the players playing for him and play a really attractive game. Surprised none of the big Clubs have been in for him.

I don’t think Gerrard would go to Newcastle & it doesn’t bother me regard how much more money he can earn or budget he has to spend…the only job he wants after us is Liverpool. He’s a shrewd operator & he knows he can have huge success with us here in Scotland which can lead him to his dream job. In England it’s a lot tougher to be successful.
You don't know that for sure.

He might be of the opinion that he needs to prove himself at a higher level than us before being offered the Liverpool job. And to be honest Newcastle might be ideal for that. They aren't a rival of Liverpool so going there wouldn't rule him out of ever managing Liverpool.

I expect Beale to go with Gerrard, they are a team now.

However, is it possible that Defoe is being primed as the successor? If he had the managerial talent, he would also bring a "name" for players (at least from down south) to come up for.
Honestly what are these Defoe shouts?

Awful, worse than the Kevin Thomson shout.

And quicker to get the sack. I think once he seen Lampard bumped, he realised it’s a short shelf life if you don’t hit the ground running, then he won’t get the Liverpool job!
Rangers offer security and European football, there are few in England that have that.

I think so. Gerrard as a manager, to me anyway, is still a work in progress. I like him being manager, and I think it would be in his interest to stay with us a lot longer, but if he were to leave at the end of this season, for instance, then we could get a better manager.

When Gerrard leaves I think Beale should be the man asked to take over. Gerrard will leave us with puting us back into the CL after years and leaving us with a team full of talent.

Much more appealing job now than it was 4/5 years ago so I don’t think we’ll be short of names

Exactly. Imagine Newcastle offered SG 10 million which is pocket money. Do you think SG would turn it down?

Imagine we got Eddie Howe
And he continued where Gerrard had left off by utterly dominating Celtic

:D

When Gerrard leaves I think Beale should be the man asked to take over. Gerrard will leave us with puting us back into the CL after years and leaving us with a team full of talent.

Much more appealing job now than it was 4/5 years ago so I don’t think we’ll be short of names

IMO
SG would insist Beale goes with him, unless Beale asks him otherwise

The new manager would be coming into an organised club so disruption should be minimal I'd maybe take a coaching team of GVB and Frank De Boer but I'd also be keeping an eye long term on David Healy and Kevin Thomson no doubt Ross Wilson will pull a rabbit out the hat when required though

Gerrard has a cast iron winning mentality, and understands that you are expected to win every game (domestic ones anyway) here, not all managers gets that, but that aside, I would not mind a decent German manager in the job when Gerrard leaves

IMO
SG would insist Beale goes with him, unless Beale asks him otherwise
Quite possibly mate, listening to a few podcasts on Beale he is keen on becoming a manager at some point, not sure if he wants a bite at Liverpool before going his own way tho!

Put it this way, we will attract a much better profile of manager thanks to Stevie G. If Newcastle did come in and he wanted to go, whoever is coming in has a good settled squad, top of the league, can still do something in Europe, and champions league money on the horizon. We are a much more attractive prospect now than we were 3 years ago.

Reactions: TQ3
What we’ve got with Gerrard only seems to happen every couple of decades. Smith, Wallace, Struth. Is Advocaat an exception to this rule?

I think we would struggle to get someone who would be as successful, especially in Europe, on the sort of budget that Gerrard has operated within.

You don't know that for sure.

He might be of the opinion that he needs to prove himself at a higher level than us before being offered the Liverpool job. And to be honest Newcastle might be ideal for that. They aren't a rival of Liverpool so going there wouldn't rule him out of ever managing Liverpool.
They would be expected to rival Liverpool within 18 months at worst.

If they came in for him, and he felt that he could get Newcastle challenging within that time frame, then he would almost certainly take it.

However, money isn’t a massive motivating factor for him personally, although it will be an incentive, as he is worth tens of millions.

Therefore, he might feel being here next season and having a champions league team to manage would be more valuable to his stock-in trade and less risky.

But his answers at the press conference today certainly did not rule him out being interested in Newcastle.

Back