If it comes to it,could we get better than Steven Gerrard?

First of all no way do I want Gerrard to leave. However it’s possible that he could be tempted to go by big luxurious offers.
Realistically though I think we could still get a better manager tactically. What I do think though is that Gerrard has pulling power for better players in our league whereas a better tactician manager could struggle in this area. What do you think? Could we do better than Steven Gerrard?
Sober up

IMO if Newcastle want him they will get him, only time will tell if we get someone better, we won't get a more high profile person than Gerrard. I reckon Newcastle will go for a proven manager and won't class Stevie G in that category.
Newcastle have unlimited weaith now. They ain't coming to Scotland looking for a manager.

I'll be very surprised if our next manager is as good as Gerrard.

Some people seem to be seriously understating the job he has done. We were a shambles under Murty when he took over and if I'm being honest didn't think there was any chance we would be stopping them winning 10 in a row.
Me neither, that’s why, for those who say 55 was nothing special, just another championship, I say, think again……his task was mammoth when he took over, and without mega money either.

I really hope that Michael Beal would take over if Gerrard was to leave. He seems to be the tactical brains if the outfit, while SG is the man manager type.
I work occasionaly with a current Chelsea and ex Liverpool scout who knows all our management team personally, he has showed me loads of photographs of him in there company. He told me Beal is indeed the tactical brains in the group. He said he is interested in management, but wether it would be with us who knows.

For all Gerrard's success here we could easily attract a manager who'll win more than 0/6 domestic cups. Not saying that makes Gerrard a poor manager, but he certainly isn't without his flaws.

I'd hope Gerrard wouldn't want to leave until after he's had a bash at the Champions league with us anyway. If he leaves after getting us there I'd feel confident we'd be in a good enough place to attract a high level of manager as his successor.

The mix of big name figurehead and the back room staff are something I think might be difficult to replicate.

Ross Wilson at Southampton was always brilliant at thinking ahead though. I’m sure we have a plan of succession.

For all Gerrard's success here we could easily attract a manager who'll win more than 0/6 domestic cups. Not saying that makes Gerrard a poor manager, but he certainly isn't without his flaws.

I'd hope Gerrard wouldn't want to leave until after he's had a bash at the Champions league with us anyway. If he leaves after getting us there I'd feel confident we'd be in a good enough place to attract a high level of manager as his successor.
The domestic cups during that 3 year period ultimately pale into insignificance compared to the rebuild,3 cracking European campaigns and the ultimate prize of winning 55 and killing ‘the 10’.

The domestic cups during that 3 year period ultimately pale into insignificance compared to the rebuild,3 cracking European campaigns and the ultimate prize of winning 55 and killing ‘the 10’.

I agree with that mate but it's still something that could certainly be improved upon if we had to appoint his successor right now.

I expect Beale to go with Gerrard, they are a team now.

However, is it possible that Defoe is being primed as the successor? If he had the managerial talent, he would also bring a "name" for players (at least from down south) to come up for.
No no no. Utter fantasy. When McCoist was catapulted from nowhere into the Manager's seat I know it would be a disaster.
Wtf has defoe done to deserve a crack at management?

I think, at this moment in time we are very compatible, Mr G. Has a huge club to manage and he raises our profile hugely. But there is no doubt in my mind there are better managers out there,....would I hate to see him go ? Absolutely !!!

If Gerrard left in the summer (or tomorrow) then GVB seems an obvious choice on paper as he both played for us and has extensive experience of British football with Arsenal. He has managed and won a championship in a decent league with a club where the pressure would be immense. He will be used to the goldfish bowl in Rotterdam, Glasgow and Barcelona. He's out of work.

But there must be a huge red flag over his desire and attitude as a coach. Since leaving Feyenoord he worked in the background at City and did a season in China. Unusal considering his stock was so high. Club would need to do their due diligence thoroughly.

I’ll take a hell of a long time to get over him for sure
See to be honest i understand hes done a very good job and that picking the next guy to continue the good work isnt going to be easy but i find this sort of stuff (which we are going to see more and more of) a bit much.

Its not really about getting better its more like hes been here a while and it might be better for everyone to make some changes. Players and management.

Even if Stevie G left for an EPL team in the near future...

We aint doing much in europe this season anyway.

Do we have the squad to win the league and do a bit better in cups ? well ofcourse.

If the next manager has different tactics we might even hit some right good form as we certainly have the players do play better football and score more goals v garbage.

It is only my view but it feels some of our players have had it with 4-3-3 roon in circles, the positives and the problems its causes have been clear all through Gerrards time at Ibrox.

If the next manager was someone like Gio i think the panic and fear would end pretty much right away, it all depends what the board does next as ofcourse its a massive call.

True but that was a long time ago now, when he was a young footballer. Different ballgame now he's older, settled and has kids. It does limit the risk of him getting home sick but the risk is still there - and still the issue of wage - I can't see him wanting to go from the wages China pay out to the pennies(relatively speaking) we can afford to.
If that's the case then what your saying is he'd only ever manage I'm Holland all his days and I can't see that Glasgow to Holland is a lot more manageable for him and his family than China is plus he'd be managing a club he has an affinity with not like a soulless money league like China

First of all no way do I want Gerrard to leave. However it’s possible that he could be tempted to go by big luxurious offers.
Realistically though I think we could still get a better manager tactically. What I do think though is that Gerrard has pulling power for better players in our league whereas a better tactician manager could struggle in this area. What do you think? Could we do better than Steven Gerrard?
I think it depends on what model the club want to apply....
Is it the Liverpool model where you have a manager with his own staff in situ for 5-6 years or the Chelsea model where the coach and a couple of assistants change every 2 years, both work if you can make the right appointments.

Some of the German, Italian coaches mentioned on this thread would see Rangers as a stepping stone which is fine if it's a win-win but it's a risky model unless there's a solid infrastructure in place and the head coach is only responsible for coaching.

If you look at our current structure then I'm pretty sure Gerrard would take most of the coaching and key medical/analysis team with him and at that point Ross Wilson and the club would need to decide on whether we bring in a head coach with an infrastructure already in place or a manager who brings an entourage.

The mob across the city have done neither this season and it will cost them in the long run.

See to be honest i understand hes done a very good job and that picking the next guy to continue the good work isnt going to be easy but i find this sort of stuff (which we are going to see more and more of) a bit much.

Its not really about getting better its more like hes been here a while and it might be better for everyone to make some changes. Players and management.

Even if Stevie G left for an EPL team in the near future...

We aint doing much in europe this season anyway.

Do we have the squad to win the league and do a bit better in cups ? well ofcourse.

If the next manager has different tactics we might even hit some right good form as we certainly have the players do play better football and score more goals v garbage.

It is only my view but it feels some of our players have had it with 4-3-3 roon in circles, the positives and the problems its causes have been clear all through Gerrards time at Ibrox.

If the next manager was someone like Gio i think the panic and fear would end pretty much right away, it all depends what the board does next as ofcourse its a massive call.
Quite the reply to a post that clearly wasn’t entirely serious

Bo Svensson possibly ?
Mainz 05 seems to be a breeding ground
Klopp , Tuchel , Hjulmand , Schwarz all went on to better things after managing Mainz without any of them doing anything in particular there.
I like the idea - clearly Mainz can pick a coach, much like Southampton did while wilson was there

I honestly can't see SG taking a premiership job out with Liverpool, or until he has been Liverpool's manager and been elsewhere for a time.

Said it many times, we have him for as long as Klopp remains Liverpool manager. We are getting into territory with relation to time spent managing that if Klopp left in the next year, Liverpool would consider him.

The who would come next question I really have no idea.

They had Rodgers and we've got Gerrard it's not inconceivable that good managers will come here however it's all about finding the right one Gasperini of Atalanta was managing an even smaller club in genoa before he went to Atalanta I don't see how we couldn't attract someone like that before there profile gets to big. Urs Fischer at Union Berlin is someone I'd hope we'd be looking at there's plenty good coach's outside the UK in good leagues like Germany Italy and Spain who do well with smaller clubs that would come here for a crack at champions league football and to manage a bug club like I said its all about finding them at the right time
Breathe.

We could, yes. Gerrard has done wonders but he is still an inexperienced manager and this shows with some of the in game management and even with the team selection at times. He's going to grow into one hell of a manager, I am convinced of that. However, we could end up with someone better (management wise) but it would cost a fair few bucks I reckon.

I think if they wave the Newcastle job in front of him he's certainly going to be tempted. There is no doubt about that. However, I can't help but think if you've got all the money to burn and want to be winning everything then they're going to want experience sure and they certainly have the budget for it.

Tactically yes but as others have said the SG factor isn’t as ready available. But we’ve dramatically moved on our our expectations and drawing power. Maybe it’s time to plan that move.

The club has moved on from the days before, so now it's not just about getting a manager, but getting a manager who is ready to fit into our system.

That means us either getting our own backroom coaching staff, or also taking people with the manager at the same time (unless the current backroom staff stays of course). So as much focus should go on that as well.

We can but we need to think outside the box. Look at teams at our level in other countries that qualify for Europe, challenge for titles every year. Someone on paper like Dejan Stankovic at Red Star maybe. He ticks these boxes for me:

Ambition to qualify for either CL or EL every single league.
Imperative that they challenge for the title every single season.
Compete against a major city rival.
He's a big name and had a successful career.
Works within a relatively small budget in European terms.

A name that I think would be interesting if we could persuade him to come to Scotland would be Fábio Cannavaro.
He is managing in China but might fancy a crack at a team that would give him the opportunity to compete in the champions league.

Back