If it comes to it,could we get better than Steven Gerrard?

I think we would struggle to get someone who would be as successful, especially in Europe, on the sort of budget that Gerrard has operated within.

I dunno. The Scandinavian teams seem to be pretty consistent with smaller budgets. There's good managers out there.

I'll miss Gerrard because he was box office but sometimes a change is good as well.

I'll assume he means managers with big enough personalities to carry the Club in a specific direction. Gerrard can be added to that list.
Yeah. Add Souness to that, it’s more like roughly once every ten years we’ve had a manager that ushers in a golden era.

I dunno. The Scandinavian teams seem to be pretty consistent with smaller budgets. There's good managers out there.

I'll miss Gerrard because he was box office but sometimes a change is good as well.
I cannot think of a Scandinavian team in recent years that has made the last 16 of the Europa league in successive seasons.

You don't know that for sure.

He might be of the opinion that he needs to prove himself at a higher level than us before being offered the Liverpool job. And to be honest Newcastle might be ideal for that. They aren't a rival of Liverpool so going there wouldn't rule him out of ever managing Liverpool.
But if things doesn’t go well & he’s sacked within 6 months/ a year @ Newcastle he would never get the Liverpool job. He knows this & he told Jamie Carragher that’s why he decided to join Rangers over an English Championship job. Carragher told me himself a few days before Ge55ard was announced & that he only needs “to be better than Sellick”.

My opinion is if he can continue to be successful with Us/ Rangers & win 3/4 league titles on the spin alongside CL experience with continued improvement in Europe then he will be in with a serious shout for the Liverpool job when it comes up.

And quicker to get the sack. I think once he seen Lampard bumped, he realised it’s a short shelf life if you don’t hit the ground running, then he won’t get the Liverpool job!
Rangers offer security and European football, there are few in England that have that.
100% TQ3. He’s as well staying with us & being as successful as possible until the Liverpool job becomes available.

We could do a lot better, and we could do a lot worse, Every Chairman must wish he knew just who to employ.
It’ll be Ross Wilson’s task to find the manager. The board had their turn with Warburton, Caixinha, Murty and almost McInnes.

Leave it to the DOF. 1/1 so far, even if it was a different DOF.

It’ll be Ross Wilson’s task to find the manager. The board had their turn with Warburton, Caixinha, Murty and almost McInnes.

Leave it to the DOF. 1/1 so far, even if it was a different DOF.
Was it really the previous DOF that convinced Gerrard to come here? I still think Dave King's friendship with Kenny Dalglish went a long way in that.

Was it really the previous DOF that convinced Gerrard to come here? I still think Dave King's friendship with Kenny Dalglish went a long way in that.
Convince? No idea.

Pretty well known and accepted it was Allen who decided it was to him though. Plenty interviews on it.

The more we hear from Michael Beale the more I’d like him to be given a chance if Gerrard leaves, his social media posts come across as someone that not only gets our club but also seems to be settled with his family up here.

When SG leaves for the EPL on the back of success at Rangers, we'll find out how (un)easy it is to get an upgrade.

We could very easily end up with a lemon on the back of a roulette wheel spin by the Rangers board.
I suppose it should be remembered that this is the same board who thought Pedro and McInnes were good ideas, and due to the mess they made of those, lumbered us with a youth team coach for half a year.

As a result I’ve never been entirely convinced Gerrard’s appointment was a calculated and inspired stroke of left field thinking so much as it was a desperate shot in the dark that mercifully hit paydirt.

First of all no way do I want Gerrard to leave. However it’s possible that he could be tempted to go by big luxurious offers.
Realistically though I think we could still get a better manager tactically. What I do think though is that Gerrard has pulling power for better players in our league whereas a better tactician manager could struggle in this area. What do you think? Could we do better than Steven Gerrard?
I wish to %^*& we could get rid of you and get a better more positive poster on all things Rangers.

Exactly. Imagine Newcastle offered SG 10 million which is pocket money. Do you think SG would turn it down?
If anyone would, I think Steven Gerrard would.

He is a humble guy and while nobody works for nothing, I don't think wages are his motivation.

The transfer budget would be the bigger temptation in my opinion but with that comes outrageous pressure.

Still think linking Newcastle with SG is a joke.

I suppose it should be remembered that this is the same board who thought Pedro and McInnes were good ideas, and due to the mess they made of those, lumbered us with a youth team coach for half a year.

As a result I’ve never been entirely convinced Gerrard’s appointment was a calculated and inspired stroke of left field thinking so much as it was a desperate shot in the dark that mercifully hit paydirt.
See tbf,the majority of those directors are now gone and have been replaced with fresh blood.

I think we would struggle to get someone who would be as successful, especially in Europe, on the sort of budget that Gerrard has operated within.
Yeah especially in Europe I think this is where Gerrard has excelled for us. I know there’s been a blip (hopefully just this season) this season so far but his first 3 years have been excellent in Europe considering the 4 qualifiers each season.

They had Rodgers and we've got Gerrard it's not inconceivable that good managers will come here however it's all about finding the right one Gasperini of Atalanta was managing an even smaller club in genoa before he went to Atalanta I don't see how we couldn't attract someone like that before there profile gets to big. Urs Fischer at Union Berlin is someone I'd hope we'd be looking at there's plenty good coach's outside the UK in good leagues like Germany Italy and Spain who do well with smaller clubs that would come here for a crack at champions league football and to manage a bug club like I said its all about finding them at the right time
I’d be a little uneasy about some slightly random European manager, regardless of how good or promising they are. Le Guen is the reason, say no more. On the flip side Advocaat did well and got to grips with Scottish football but he had the budget to smash everyone out of the way. Just not convinced it would be a good match to bring someone like that it.

I
I’d be a little uneasy about some slightly random European manager, regardless of how good or promising they are. Le Guen is the reason, say no more. On the flip side Advocaat did well and got to grips with Scottish football but he had the budget to smash everyone out of the way. Just not convinced it would be a good match to bring someone like that it.

Le Guen was a disaster, despite being regarded as the best young manager in Europe, however that doesn’t meant this squad of players would have the same results

I do agree and understand your ponts but we can't just pigeon hole ourselves to British managers only. There will always be a few hidden gems but I rather try a European coach that's has success/potential than a mangers that's on the British manager merry-go-round who's had job after job like a Hughes or Alerdyce ect

In all honesty we done well to get him in the state we were in, even though he was untested.
We are a much better prospect for potential replacements now. One or two more years with stevie to begin to really dominate then he can go to Liverpool.

I could see us going for someone like Duncan Ferguson, who's been on the fringes of management, is connected to the club, and will be hungry to succeed.

I think we will look back at Gerrard and wonder how the %^*& we managed to get a manager of his calibre, so to answer you question bluntly "no"

However we will be able to get a manager that does certain aspects better than him. He's not perfect of course, but as a whole he's a damn excellent manager and what he has done for us is honestly a miracle. The way he turned us around in such a quick time is remarkable. And that's before even taking into account the invincible season and the records we broke which is just insane.

We will also probably get a manager who can get us more trophies - but only because Gerrard done the hard bit already. Winning us 55 should be the hardest title of our entire existence because of everything we had to overcome. If gerrard didn't have to do the rebuild then I believe he'd have won more trophies with us too - although that doesnt excuse some of the shocker exits in cups.

Some of the names we hear banded around - mcciness, davidson, etc, I wouldn't trade Gerrard for any of them, not now and not in 100 million years... So if they're the best we're going for then it's a no without any hestiation. GVB is another name - a guy who was home sick and left China to go back to his familly and was on millions in China - Fantasy land that we ever get him imo.

The sad truth is , managers like Gerrard are generally out of our price range these days.

Between both our and their managers and potential managers (Howe etc) in recent years, the only person I would trade Gerrard for is Walter.

They would be expected to rival Liverpool within 18 months at worst.

If they came in for him, and he felt that he could get Newcastle challenging within that time frame, then he would almost certainly take it.

However, money isn’t a massive motivating factor for him personally, although it will be an incentive, as he is worth tens of millions.

Therefore, he might feel being here next season and having a champions league team to manage would be more valuable to his stock-in trade and less risky.

But his answers at the press conference today certainly did not rule him out being interested in Newcastle.
This is absolute nonsense, rival liverpool within 18 months? I don't see it , it took City years to get there and will take Newcastle years aswell. No top world class player is gonna leave X team who's already paying them a fortune, CL football etc, to go play Newcastle to rebuild. it will come in stages over the next few years.

Last edited:
I could see us going for someone like Duncan Ferguson, who's been on the fringes of management, is connected to the club, and will be hungry to succeed.

Oh god no.

I'd be dead from heart palpatations inside three games.

The more we hear from Michael Beale the more I’d like him to be given a chance if Gerrard leaves, his social media posts come across as someone that not only gets our club but also seems to be settled with his family up here.

If Stevie leaves, Beale goes with him imo. And I’ll greet

First of all no way do I want Gerrard to leave. However it’s possible that he could be tempted to go by big luxurious offers.
Realistically though I think we could still get a better manager tactically. What I do think though is that Gerrard has pulling power for better players in our league whereas a better tactician manager could struggle in this area. What do you think? Could we do better than Steven Gerrard?
No

These days it's not just about the man at the top. It's about the entire coaching team. Gerrard admits that himself. In a way it's not a bad thing that when Gerrard goes they all go. Leaves the new man the chance to start afresh unlike elsewhere.

If Newcastle came in and Gerrard wanted to go then he would go with many well wishes.

GVB is free, arguably more experienced, knows the club and would be my choice to come in.
GVB was in China on Millions and got home sick to go back to his family.

What makes you think we can not only afford him, but that he wouldn't get homesick here and go back to his family - assuming he wants to even leave them again so soon?

It's easy to say "I want x", getting that person in, not so easy.

GVB would be a good choice but it's not really realistic imo.

I expect Beale to go with Gerrard, they are a team now.

However, is it possible that Defoe is being primed as the successor? If he had the managerial talent, he would also bring a "name" for players (at least from down south) to come up for.
Defoe is massive in western football. Btw he'll still score a few this season. I'd like to see him be given the chance. Real life player manager?

I expect Beale to go with Gerrard, they are a team now.

However, is it possible that Defoe is being primed as the successor? If he had the managerial talent, he would also bring a "name" for players (at least from down south) to come up for.
I love seeing all the Defoe mentions

I guess me bringing him up in that other thread has got some people buying into it :p

Defoe for manager :p

What makes you think we can not only afford him, but that he wouldn't get homesick here and go back to his family - assuming he wants to even leave them again so soon?

The fact he has been in Scotland before would lessen the risk of that imo.

The fact he has been in Scotland before would lessen the risk of that imo.
True but that was a long time ago now, when he was a young footballer. Different ballgame now he's older, settled and has kids. It does limit the risk of him getting home sick but the risk is still there - and still the issue of wage - I can't see him wanting to go from the wages China pay out to the pennies(relatively speaking) we can afford to.

That would be an interesting appointment….
However, he might not feel he wants to come back to the madness of Glasgow having been sent to prison for his actions on the football field.
I suspect Duncan is still capable of flooring someone if he lost the plot as a result of incompetent refereeing or wind up from one of the other mhob.

Bo Svensson possibly ?
Mainz 05 seems to be a breeding ground
Klopp , Tuchel , Hjulmand , Schwarz all went on to better things after managing Mainz without any of them doing anything in particular there.

Big difference between China and Scotland where he has already lived and is a short flight bk to the Netherlands whenever he wants

I really hope that Michael Beal would take over if Gerrard was to leave. He seems to be the tactical brains if the outfit, while SG is the man manager type.

Back