Alan Hutton

Given the imminent Villa implosion and Hutton's name being on the rumoured Allen list, should we go for him on a free transfer?

No brainer in my view. More of a defensively minded full back these days.

The last thing we need is a 34 y/o full back who no longer has the athleticism to get up and down the wing. This is why he is now defensively-minded.

Rupert Bell on Talksport said Hutton was an inspiration to Villa.
Villas player of the year in his opinion.

It’s a no from me until someone takes Hodson off our hands, need to start getting bodies shifted out the squad.

Yes 100%, he has shown he can defend at right back and left back, watched both games in the semi's and could easily do a job for us.

Would be interesting to see how many of the folk saying no have actually watched him play recently.

Haven't saw him play in yonks, but do recall with a smile his buccaneering runs of old!

A big yes from me. Would be ideal to have as cover / challenge for both RB and LB positions. Right mentality, vastly experienced and still fit by all accounts. A significant upgrade on Hodson and allows finds to be used to strengthen the spine.

Had to laugh at the "one season wonder" description of him that someone replied with. Since he left us (for what is still the biggest transfer fee we've ever received, let's not forget that), he's made tons of appearances at EPL and championship level, numerous international caps and even a short spell in La Liga. Sign of a good honest pro if you ask me...

Some of these reply’s are laughable.

Plays in championship and good in the semi final. But hold on he won’t do a job here against Kilmarnock and co:)

Did you watch the play off final. He was brutal albeit he was on the left.
I watched the second half. I thought he looked pretty solid and rarely gave away possession. I understand he was at fault for Fulham's goal in the first half though.
He was brilliant in the play-off semis against Middlesbrough and kept Traore quiet.
I also watched Villa vs Hull about a month before, as I had Villa as the final team on a coupon. I thought Hutton was excellent and one of Villa's best players that day, again at left-back.
He's been in good form of late and still looks very fit. It the money was right, I'd be more than happy with him competing with Tavernier and John for the full-back positions.

My worry is people would expect the Alan Hutton that left and he'd be on a hiding to none.

I'd definitely take him as part of the squad, particularly now that he's shown a fair bit of versatility the last few seasons.

Absolute no brainer if we get him for free and not excessive wages, he is much more a defender than the player that left us

For me it's a yes. If we were to go into this season with Tav, Hutton, John & Wallace (or one other) we'd be far better set for the challenge this season.

Get Goldson & 1 other in for CB and we're looking in great shape.

If Goldson is as good as the Brighton fans are making out we are in for a treat.

Given the imminent Villa implosion and Hutton's name being on the rumoured Allen list, should we go for him on a free transfer?

I thought he was done as had not seen anything of him last season. Then watched him play a stormer at left back in the play off final.

If we were to get him on a freebie and not pay too much wages then it is a no brainer.

He was terrific for Villa this year and he can play either left or right back. He's better than both John and Tav, so I'd take him on a 1 year deal with option of 2.

With all these yougsters/loans, we also need a right good mix of experience.

Is Hutton better than what we have?

What younger full backs with EPL experience are in our price range?

Yes and nane. If he is available and comes cheap then sign him.

On a free? Absolutely. Fact he can now play left back too makes him a great squad option.

Depends if his head’s in it.

If he’s just another 30+ looking to cash out then possibly no.

As a utility back up, basically a replacement for Hudson then yes.

As a first pick on high wages, not so sure.

He has played at a much higher level than the SPFL for years now, that has got to rub off. But then you see the likes of Dorrans who did exactly the same yet the high pace and unstructured nature of a Scottish football game passes him by.

Anyone know what kind of wages he is commanding at Villa?

I thought he was done as had not seen anything of him last season. Then watched him play a stormer at left back in the play off final.

If we were to get him on a freebie and not pay too much wages then it is a no brainer.

He did not play a stormer in the play off final. The first half when Fulham won the game he was all over the place and at fault for the goal.

Purely because of age I’d be tempted to say no.
Having said that his age didn’t seem to be any issue this year, was solid whenever I saw him on tele

Defo a no,wages would be at least 15k per week.
And we couldnt offer 7k per week for a 21 year old in Bates and with a possible later transfer fee.
Also what would the academy players be thinking, whats the point, thats what i would think.
It would put potential younger players off.

Steven Whittaker and Kirk Broadfoot strolled it in the league last season yet we've got folk on here telling us Alan Hutton (who has always been levels above both of them) isn't good enough as back up hahahahaha

Steven Whittaker and Kirk Broadfoot strolled it in the league last season yet we've got folk on here telling us Alan Hutton (who has always been levels above both of them) isn't good enough as back up hahahahaha

If players the ilk of Broadfoot can "stroll it" what the feck is the point in us paying a guy who would be cover likely 10k + a week which is about 3.5k above our average salary per player?.

Surely RB cover should be a player on about 2k allowing us to invest more in better areas.

Ive watched him a few times this season and the way he plays know i think he would be great on the right/left of a back 3, if we have any plans to play 3 at the back this season i would defo take him. His versatility would give us good tactical options during a game
Agreed. I'd like to see this type of formation. Hutton and Alves (unpopular I know but the man is a class act even if he didn't always show it last season) with a pacy younger centre half between them (Goldson would certainly fit the bill tall stong and quick), with tav/candeias & John/Wallace down the flanks (or whoever SG brings in). And of course Greegs between the sticks.

I get where the No voters are coming from but if we get him on a free and the wages are right then I would add him to the squad.

If players the ilk of Broadfoot can "stroll it" what the feck is the point in us paying a guy who would be cover likely 10k + a week which is about 3.5k above our average salary per player?.

Surely RB cover should be a player on about 2k allowing us to invest more in better areas.

So much of your reply is literally plucked from thin air. How do you know what we would be paying him?

Also, our average salary per player should and will rise every year for the next few years, thats how you grow a business.

Why should RB cover be on 2k pw? I assume Hodson would be on about that, so are you saying a Hodson standard of player is good enough quality for cover?

So much of your reply is literally plucked from thin air. How do you know what we would be paying him?

Also, our average salary per player should and will rise every year for the next few years, thats how you grow a business.

Why should RB cover be on 2k pw? I assume Hodson would be on about that, so are you saying a Hodson standard of player is good enough quality for cover?

I am going to act on the premise of assumption that a player who has been playing for salary ranging from 60k to 30k isn't going to %^*& that off for pocket change...

A business grows if you pay people more...thats new....

I am saying Hodson is shit Hodson does not represent all players on a 2k wage..thats about the average salary of a player at the likes of Aberdeen or Hibs many of their players would be fine as part of our squad....you think Broadfoot who can "stroll it" is on more than 2k a week at Killie....he isnt.

Haven't seen him play recently so can't comment on performances, but would need to take a huge pay cut on his reported 35k pw wages for us to sign him.

I am going to act on the premise of assumption that a player who has been playing for salary ranging from 60k to 30k isn't going to %^*& that off for pocket change...

A business grows if you pay people more...thats new....

I am saying Hodson is shit Hodson does not represent all players on a 2k wage..thats about the average salary of a player at the likes of Aberdeen or Hibs many of their players would be fine as part of our squad....you think Broadfoot who can "stroll it" is on more than 2k a week at Killie....he isnt.

Thats a strangely bizarre way to try and twist my comment to suit your angle.

Business acquires/purchases higher quality assets to achieve its goals, these assets in return have a higher running cost and therefore while growing the business the average salary increases.

I don't see how or why you would want to debate this.

Hodson isn't good enough we can definitely agree on that, and due to who we are, we need to pay more and have a higher standard player than others in the league. Even if we signed someone from one of those teams as back up, they would expect to earn more for it simply because we are Rangers. So what they earn at smaller clubs really isn't relevant.

No brainer!
Forget about age he’s coming off the bck of a great season.
Plus he’s a winner and also bluenose not imperative but helps.

Thats a strangely bizarre way to try and twist my comment to suit your angle.

Business acquires/purchases higher quality assets to achieve its goals, these assets in return have a higher running cost and therefore while growing the business the average salary increases.

I don't see how or why you would want to debate this.

Hodson isn't good enough we can definitely agree on that, and due to who we are, we need to pay more and have a higher standard player than others in the league. Even if we signed someone from one of those teams as back up, they would expect to earn more for it simply because we are Rangers. So what they earn at smaller clubs really isn't relevant.

It's not....its what you said.

Increased wages only work within a sound business model and spent on the correct personel in the right areas.

Simply paying more doesn't equal growth.

We don't have to pay players more simply to play for us..that makes no sense.

If we and Aberdeen were both in for a player..they wont go to them because they offer the same wage...that doesnt even begin to sound logical

It's not....its what you said.

Increased wages only work within a sound business model and spent on the correct personel in the right areas.

Simply paying more doesn't equal growth.

We don't have to pay players more simply to play for us..that makes no sense.

If we and Aberdeen were both in for a player..they wont go to them because they offer the same wage...that doesnt even begin to sound logical

Again, you're twisting what I'm saying to suit your own angle, what I just said in my last post, was that to grow the business, we acquire a better quality of player, in turn a better quality of player costs more money, therefore average salary increases.

No one said anything about paying the same player more makes them better, you are trying to make that my point when in fact it isn't.

The last point is, that if for instance, we happened to be in for a player, that for example Aberdeen were in for also (which obviously we shouldn't be) said player would expect to be paid more from us for the same job simply because we are Rangers, not ideal but it is the case. Don't you agree?

Again, you're twisting what I'm saying to suit your own angle, what I just said in my last post, was that to grow the business, we acquire a better quality of player, in turn a better quality of player costs more money, therefore average salary increases.

No one said anything about paying the same player more makes them better, you are trying to make that my point when in fact it isn't.

The last point is, that if for instance, we happened to be in for a player, that for example Aberdeen were in for also (which obviously we shouldn't be) said player would expect to be paid more from us for the same job simply because we are Rangers, not ideal but it is the case. Don't you agree?

I'm not you said a business grows as you pay more...tell that to the likes of Sunderland simply paying more doesnt equate to growth.

If we and Aberdeen were in for the same player as cover for us at RB offer the player 2k a week..if they dont take it %^*& them off and look for the next one.

No need at all for us to be paying much more than that for full back cover in a league where Broadfoot can stroll it..

I'm not you said a business grows as you pay more...tell that to the likes of Sunderland simply paying more doesnt equate to growth.

If we and Aberdeen were in for the same player as cover for us at RB offer the player 2k a week..if they dont take it %^*& them off and look for the next one.

No need at all for us to be paying much more than that for full back cover in a league where Broadfoot can stroll it..

I've explained it about 3 times now, can't really debate it more with you if you refuse to accept what I'm telling you because it doesn't suit.

As for your idea of offering players 2k or saying fu.ck them haha I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately it isn't.

Back