Alan Hutton

I've explained it about 3 times now, can't really debate it more with you if you refuse to accept what I'm telling you because it doesn't suit.

As for your idea of offering players 2k or saying fu.ck them haha I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately it isn't.

Course it is...players like Naismith at Ross County as an example will be on nothing like that kind of wage - see if he wants to make some more cash.

%^*& it play a kid

Cover as RB at us should be playing about 10 games a year - why pay them much more than 2k.

If we loose our first choice RB there should be a difference as one should be good and on a good wage and one shouldnt be as good and on much less of a wage

Who the %^*& even is cover for full backs at most clubs...

Course it is...players like Naismith at Ross County as an example will be on nothing like that kind of wage - see if he wants to make some more cash.

%^*& it play a kid

Cover as RB at us should be playing about 10 games a year - why pay them much more than 2k.

If we loose our first choice RB there should be a difference as one should be good and on a good wage and one shouldnt be as good and on much less of a wage

Who the %^*& even is cover for full backs at most clubs...

I see where you are coming from, I do agree to an extent.

The problem we have is that every game is a must win, and for example, should Tav get injured the first game of the season, would you want us to be playing an 18 year old there for the rest of it?

Of course the kid could do well, but there is just as much of a chance of him being a catastrophe, then we are left with huge problems.

In that event having an experienced international back up is a good thing, others also suggest that he is capable of covering at LB, you also have to factor in the flexibility he would offer us as well. In games where we must have a solid back line he offers a much more defensive option to Tav.

Theres also the mentality thing, coupled with being part of a successful Rangers squad. He does obviously have his pro's and cons, but I agree and did state in my first post on the thread is absolutely boils down to his wage demands and what the manager thinks he needs in his squad.

PS: I agree Naismith most likely is a better option but he doesn't seem to be on our radar for one reason or another. Maybe he is and we just don't know.

I see where you are coming from, I do agree to an extent.

The problem we have is that every game is a must win, and for example, should Tav get injured the first game of the season, would you want us to be playing an 18 year old there for the rest of it?

Of course the kid could do well, but there is just as much of a chance of him being a catastrophe, then we are left with huge problems.

In that event having an experienced international back up is a good thing, others also suggest that he is capable of covering at LB, you also have to factor in the flexibility he would offer us as well. In games where we must have a solid back line he offers a much more defensive option to Tav.

Theres also the mentality thing, coupled with being part of a successful Rangers squad. He does obviously have his pro's and cons, but I agree and did state in my first post on the thread is absolutely boils down to his wage demands and what the manager thinks he needs in his squad.

PS: I agree Naismith most likely is a better option but he doesn't seem to be on our radar for one reason or another. Maybe he is and we just don't know.

We have won leagues with Foster, Maurice Ross and Broadfoot all having played 15+ league games at RB.

Put simply for me, I refuse to believe that our scouting team cant find a better mid-long term option than 34 year old Alan Hutton. Personally I'd much prefer Tav to stay but if he's for the off and it's a case of Hutton or Hodson then clearly Hutton every day of the week. I'm sure he'd do a job for a season.

He was total mince in the play offs.

In the final, yes. Nobody from Villa got pass marks.

But in the two legs against Boro, he was outstanding. To suggest otherwise is nonsense. He man marked their best player out of the game.

Defensively, Hutton is superior to Tav. I'm not saying I would want him over Tav but I'm not getting the "Hutton is shite and old and past it" theme/angle running throughout this thread.

Mixed views on this he's an upgrade on Hodson and can play at both full back roles. If wages are reasonable then he's maybe worth a go.

Allen and Gerrard have to do better than 33/34 year old former Rangers players who left the club some 10 years ago.

FWIW, I don't think we will move for Hutton. He's not going to play 2nd choice to Tavernier and should Tavernier leave, I want better.

Allen and Gerrard have to do better than 33/34 year old former Rangers players who left the club some 10 years ago..

Devils advocate here but let's say Hutton hadn't ever played for us and someone of his caliber was available on a free and we could afford his wages, would you still be saying this?

Not aimed at @CaptainCourageous but I think sometimes people's minds are made up when it comes to past players for the simple reason that they played for us before and I am saying this as someone who normally likes us not to look back when signing players.

But personally with this one and going on his recent form and how he is now as a player, I would 100% take back Alan Hutton.

Hutton’s a winner, he doesnt suffer this inferiority complex that the majority of the current squad have when taking to the field against the bigrats

Haven't really seen him play in years.

I suspect that'll be true for 99% of us on here.

In the final, yes. Nobody from Villa got pass marks.

But in the two legs against Boro, he was outstanding. To suggest otherwise is nonsense. He man marked their best player out of the game.

Defensively, Hutton is superior to Tav. I'm not saying I would want him over Tav but I'm not getting the "Hutton is shite and old and past it" theme/angle running throughout this thread.

If he’s as an understudy to Tav, all for it. As a replacement, no thanks.

Im sorry but I wish people would start putting some context in thread titles rather than just a players name.

Should we look at Alan Hutton? would have been better

I’d rather Naismith and the young lad from Leeds as back up to challenge Tav and John,younger with room to improve and attacking wise both better options

Devils advocate here but let's say Hutton hadn't ever played for us and someone of his caliber was available on a free and we could afford his wages, would you still be saying this?

Not aimed at @CaptainCourageous but I think sometimes people's minds are made up when it comes to past players for the simple reason that they played for us before and I am saying this as someone who normally likes us not to look back when signing players.

But personally with this one and going on his recent form and how he is now as a player, I would 100% take back Alan Hutton.

Hypothetical question. Angel Rangel (a year older) is available on a freebie this summer, would you take him?

Hypothetical question. Angel Rangel (a year older) is available on a freebie this summer, would you take him?

No I wouldn’t.

And if it’s a comparison to Hutton then it’s a definite no because I don’t believe he is better than Hutton.

Maybe you can answer my question I put to you? :)

No I wouldn’t.

And if it’s a comparison to Hutton then it’s a definite no because I don’t believe he is better than Hutton.

Maybe you can answer my question I put to you? :)

Rangel is a better RB than Hutton, IMO.

I'd have Steven Davis back mainly because he's still a quality player, so it doesn't matter if they have played for Rangers before, or not. Quality is all that matters.

It works both ways. The ones saying yes to Hutton still think he's the 2007/08, Alan Hutton who rattles into challenges, has pace, power, directness, aggression and a great attacking outlet - he's no longer that player.

Rangel is a better RB than Hutton, IMO.

I'd have Steven Davis back mainly because he's still a quality player, so it doesn't matter if they have played for Rangers before, or not. Quality is all that matters.

It works both ways. The ones saying yes to Hutton still think he's the 2007/08, Alan Hutton who rattles into challenges, has pace, power, directness, aggression and a great attacking outlet - he's no longer that player.

Well agree to disagree then. I think a potential signing of Hutton is much better for us than signing someone like Angel.

Also, I’m saying yes to Hutton coming in as a squad player and as you can see from this post, I am more than aware of the player he is now.

He was absolutely excellent. Terry said after the game last night that Hutton was Villa's best player over the two legs.

I've seen comments on here about Hutton being "done" - Ok, he's not one to gallop up and down the right hand side of the pitch anymore but by god, he's a superb defender and better than anything we have on current form in defence.

I want our defenders first and foremost now to be good at defending because currently, none of them really are.

Was gutted when he left - was playing brilliantly.

Haven't seen him for ages - bit put off by the likes of Russell Martin and Dorrans being largely ineffective.

He would coast it up here, he's only 33, still a young man and he looks like he looks after himself

Fullback is a fast young man's game imo.

I definitely think we need the correct balance of experienced players and a young, hungry squad. I’m not saying Hutton walks into our team but as competition for Tav he’s a solid choice. A massive upgrade on Hodson.

Back