Best atmosphere at Ibrox that was unexpected ?

Read the thread title. Unexpected lol

I'm sure the Beaton v hibs game ended up a decent atmosphere as everyone wanted to kill him :)

And hibs again when waggy scored a solo cracker good atmosphere that day
Rangers v Beaton would have been a better description of that game

An angry and defiant Ibrox always produces a great atmosphere

Friendly v Spurs think it was early 90s and Gazza and Fergie were having a right battle. Game was very niggly and fans got right up for it. EE went mental when winner went in.
Was just about to say that a couple of Spurs left the field with blood injuries and Lineker and esp Gazza was getting stick big time.

The Rangers v PSV match in 2011 had a great atmosphere. Greg Wylde played really well that night as we searched in vain for an equaliser.

More recent times, braga, legia Warsaw last min morelos header, rapid Vienna the candeias backheel and morelos finish, was absolutely buzzing on those nights, walking up Edmiston drive singing with plenty of others, moments to remember.

Rangers v Motherwell Oct 1971, not the best by any means, but certainly unexpected and a massive change in Atmosphere, as an uneventful half saw us go in 0-0 at the break, and the score from Hampden filtered through that Partick Thistle were leading the Filth 4-0 at half time, in the League Cup Final.

Abandoned Hearts game in 2015.

Anger at conditions and the journey of Scott of the Antarctic to get there and anger at the fat slug for the stadium sale and lease proposal provided a good start.

Which then turned to anger at Madden for abandoning the game.

What else was there to do at that point but go and try to get hold of the Spivs? :D

I hope they shat themselves that night as they realised what was happening outside.
Never seen Ibrox like that in my life. Was surreal. Club deck was maybe 20% full. Then the riot vans surrounded the main stand. Like a waking nightmare

But that wasn't during a big freeze with all the other games off ;)
I know it wasn't, but there was much more needle in the March game because of the Cup defeat. Davie Cooper said in his book that he was shouting stuff at Adrian Sprott or the other Accies players that they wouldn't be celebrating that night...

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned Viktoria Zizkov back in the 00s. Dreadful result for us in europe getting knocked out by minnows, but the Bears really got behind the team that night. Noise was incredible at times, especially with Klos coming up for the corner and crashing a header off the bar. Got knocked out on away goals after extra time which I remember being really pissed off at! Why should they get an extra 30 mins to get an away goal? Rule should have been scrapped after 90 mins. Terrible result, great atmosphere.

When we played st mirren and chris woods went off injured after a well dodgy challenge from mcdowell, I remember a st mirren fan I worked with who was at the game saying they were actually crapping it when the whole of the stadium burst into Derry’s walls
it was good hearing the effect it could have on the away fans when we are in full flow

Mind a game in Division 3 where Wallace got a dodgy red and a penalty given against while 1 up. Think it was Annan we played.
They missed the penalty and Andy Little scored a few mins later. Stadium was electric for about 15 mins after the penalty miss.

Rangers 3 Inter Milan 1,just under 30,000 there (I think) 3 0 down from the first leg and ended up an amazing night out.

Peterhead. Boyds debut.
They brought about 3-4k down with them, was an unreal atmosphere considering, with no disrespect meant, the level of opposition

CSKA Moscow 1-1 back in 2004 (can't believe that was 18 year ago).

Was blown away by the atmosphere that night. Still sticks in my head

unexpected

adjective​

1. Occurring without warning; unforeseen.
  2. Not expected; coming without warning; sudden.
  3. Not expected, anticipated or foreseen.

Some could do with reading this before posting crucial European games against top opposition or OF games.

The first game that came to my head was Warburton's first game against Burnley. We lost and it wasn't a raise the roof type atmosphere but more of a lifting of the pall that had hung over the club since the bad days of admin.
To be fair the braga mention is a good shout… at half time I was dreading the away trip - going with nothing to play for and then the rest is history. Ibrox could have got toxic that night but we stuck by the team and it really showed on the park.

We played them at Ibrox again on the 14th of March 1987, and won 2-0...:cool:
In that game (March 87’) can always remember right from the kick off we attempted to launch it into the Accies box. Big Butcher being the target to knock down to Ally or wee Flecky.

Rangers 0 Dundee Utd3 93/94
Copland was in fine voice at this game after going 3 down, a rarity :D
I do remember that game for this - they stormed into an early and comprehensive lead that Rangers never looked like overcoming but the atmosphere was cracking all through the game for some reason.

Hibs 4-2 game, think it was a midweek night, was unbelievable

Proper good atmosphere that night
The one with McCoist cracking in a free kick that went in the top corner?
It was a Tuesday night or something - pissing down and a right good atmosphere. I think Hibs must have been ahead at one point because the place was rocking by the time Rangers were pulling ahead.

It was a routine, drab, win against Motherwell at Ibrox and it was just before the Pope was due to visit and half way through the second half the whole of the Govan just belted out NPOR from nowhere, loud as hell.

Wasn’t expecting it.

Obviously not the best atmosphere but that will live with me

Maybe circa 2012 but I’m not sure

2010/11 season I think.

Possibly a 3 or 4-1 win after they took the lead. Weiss came on and caused havoc and Healy scored the last goal which got a fairly hefty roar considering we were already well-ahead.

NPOR was absolutely tremendous. As well as a very loud "bring on the celtc" chant.

Went to the Piggery the following week and skelped them 3-1.

Agree that was a great one also
I was in the Broomloan that night and i thought the Austrians were going to spill onto the pitchside they were going that mental
They were great that night to be fair.
One that always sticks out was against Hapoel Tel Aviv ,i think.
We were giving them a doing ,but their support still sang and jumped about topless.
2006/07 UEFA CUP ,won 4-0.

I do remember that game for this - they stormed into an early and comprehensive lead that Rangers never looked like overcoming but the atmosphere was cracking all through the game for some reason.

I'll never forget this. They scored virtually from kick off and were 3-0 up after about 20 minutes, people had started to stream out long before half-time but those that stayed for whatever reason just decided to make an almightly racket. One of my favourite days in the old EE outwith the result.

The game immediately prior to the UEFA cup final against Dundee United. Not unexpected as such but flies under the radar a wee bit. Game had everything and the stadium was jumping.

Rangers 2 Hamilton 0 in January 1987.

There was a freeze that weekend, and it ended up the only top division game on, giving us the chance to go top of the table.

The worst referee in Scottish football history, Andrew Waddell, then sent off 2 Rangers players as we won 2-0 with 9 men.

Started as a straightforward day against bottom of the league opponents, ended up an amazing loud atmosphere which combined celebration at winning, defiance at having 9 men, and downright hatred for Waddell.
Remember that we'll. There was utter disbelief amongst the crowd that day.

Back