Best atmosphere at Ibrox that was unexpected ?

My first ever rangers game,hammered but hooked
Copland nowadays wouldn't be in fine voice at three nil done I'm afraid
Definitely this. The noise when Alfie sealed the deal was fantastic.
What was special for me that night ,being in the broomloan with my 4 kids was the amount of young bears who were seeing and feeling that special European atmosphere for the first time because we had been without for years

The home friendly against Chelsea in 2007 was a brilliant atmosphere. Felt like a European night at times. Think it came a few days after a 1-1 draw with Ajax at Ibrox where the atmosphere was rotten as well.

Ian Durrant's comeback in a reserve game against Hibs in '91.
The club had to keep opening stands in the countdown to kick off.
If I remember correctly there was over 30k there and it was the highest attendance in Scotland and one of the highest in the country.
It was an incredible show of support for a young man who's career was so horribly cut short by the worst act of thuggery I've ever witnessed on a football field!

The anniversary game in 1999 when we had that fake Tina Turner and it was just before Christmas think it was against Hearts or Killie

If I remember correctly there was over 30k there and it was the highest attendance in Scotland and one of the highest in the country.
It was an incredible show of support for a young man who's career was so horribly cut short by the worst act of thuggery I've ever witnessed on a football field!
Was there that day in the govan

Can't mind if our season tickets allowed us in that reserve games at that time ?

Was there that day in the govan

Can't mind if our season tickets allowed us in that reserve games at that time ?
im sure it did, i got into the govan rear but my brother ended trackside and going to the copland, no idea how we got seperated.

Rangers 2 Hamilton 0 in January 1987.

There was a freeze that weekend, and it ended up the only top division game on, giving us the chance to go top of the table.

The worst referee in Scottish football history, Andrew Waddell, then sent off 2 Rangers players as we won 2-0 with 9 men.

Started as a straightforward day against bottom of the league opponents, ended up an amazing loud atmosphere which combined celebration at winning, defiance at having 9 men, and downright hatred for Waddell.
Totally agree.
I was only 10 and my brother was 6 at the time.
My dad thought this would be a nice quiet game to go to.
It was crazy and led to the introduction of the extendable tunnel. :))

Werder Bremen. Quiet in the pub, quiet on walk over to Ibrox. Even quiet before the game but jesus it went mental after Cousin scored.

Fantastic atmosphere.

Was at the semi final but imo werder bremen attmosphere was much better.

I recall the whole stadium doing the bouncy after his goal and i had to sit down for a minute because i got a massive rush like i was on an eckie! :D

Abandoned Hearts game in 2015.

Anger at conditions and the journey of Scott of the Antarctic to get there and anger at the fat slug for the stadium sale and lease proposal provided a good start.

Which then turned to anger at Madden for abandoning the game.

What else was there to do at that point but go and try to get hold of the Spivs? :D

I hope they shat themselves that night as they realised what was happening outside.

im sure it did, i got into the govan rear but my brother ended trackside and going to the copland, no idea how we got seperated.
Think that was the time you got into home league cup games and even the first European the of the season with your season ticket before the good Murray boy stripped all that away

Marseille 2-2 at Ibrox, we were played off the park for 75 minutes, McSwegan scores with one of the best headers ever seen, then Hateley ensured the last 15 minutes was as loud as Ibrox gets.

Legia Warsaw comes to mind. A nervy atmosphere for alot of the night as the tie was in the balance, and BF1 being shut due to UEFA restrictions didn't help. The Poles do a shitty pyro display on 80 minutes which fires up the crowd and leads to Alfie's last minute header. Cheers lads.

Im feelin it after the hibs 2-1 game this season was tremendous. Obviously not a ‘best atmosphere’ candidate but unexpected for a game against those diddies

V Fenerbahce 0-0 in 2001 Champions League qualifier when Mols was sent off. I was in the Copland and the whole stadium was going nuts because of the antics of their keeper Rustu. I've never heard Ibrox so loud !!.

Just came on to post this. Pretty sure David Farrell put in a heavy tackle on Durrant which left us all silent for a few seconds until the wee man got up.

Abandoned Hearts game in 2015.

Anger at conditions and the journey of Scott of the Antarctic to get there and anger at the fat slug for the stadium sale and lease proposal provided a good start.

Which then turned to anger at Madden for abandoning the game.

What else was there to do at that point but go and try to get hold of the Spivs? :D

I hope they shat themselves that night as they realised what was happening outside.
I was still stuck on the entrance to the Clyde tunnel when I heard on the radio the game had been abandoned.
Horrible horrible night!

Seem to remember the first couple of home games under Warburton in the Championship being really good atmospheres. St. Mirren and Hibs I think.
St Mirren first game.
Friday night and Ibrox was jumping.

ANY European tie or old firm game should be disqualified from the discussion.

Dundee United 7-1 immediately sprung to mind for me, incredible atmosphere that night.

Unexpected good atmospheres and there's tital deciders, OF games and huge European games.

The atmosphere at the preseason game against Bury was better than most run of the mill league games.

There was a freeze that weekend, and it ended up the only top division game on, giving us the chance to go top of the table.

The worst referee in Scottish football history, Andrew Waddell, then sent off 2 Rangers players as we won 2-0 with 9 men.

Started as a straightforward day against bottom of the league opponents, ended up an amazing loud atmosphere which combined celebration at winning, defiance at having 9 men, and downright hatred for Waddell.
Waddell Waddell get tae Fuvk

St Mirren first game.
Friday night and Ibrox was jumping.
Started off that way for sure. Lee Wallace scored twice within eight minutes or something like that. 30-80 mins (roughly) died down a lot after St Mirren scored and we couldn't find the third until late on. I remember Steven Thompson putting a penalty over the bar at 2-1 in what was the worst technique I've ever seen from a professional footballer. He looked like he'd never kicked a ball before.

Rangers 4 - Kilmarnock 0 May 2003
This was my first thought. Probably unexpected because normally a title run in would be nervous, crowd were full at it that day.

But in terms of proper unexpected, 3-1 v St Mirren at home in 2015. Sunny Friday night and everyone excited. However, would that be unexpected given the context.

Undoubtedly the correct answer @dh1963

Waddell sending Robert's off purely on reputation lit the fuse, Durrant got caught up in the occasion and roof just about came off Ibrox.

Bedlam against Hamilton FFS

Game I was thinking of, was it a couple of weeks after the Hamilton SC game?

Just having a look on YouTube at some of our old European games
And sturm graz was one that I remember travelling over to Ibrox wondering what sort of atmosphere it would be like as I don't think I'd even heard of them before the draw .

Outside some of our key European victories ,probably the best European atmosphere I've been in as I just didn't expect it, the place was bouncing from start to finish

5 -0 , Ronald de Boer making his debut and just it seemed everything came off for us that night
And in Govan rear i genuinely could feel the stand moving .
Friendly v Spurs think it was early 90s and Gazza and Fergie were having a right battle. Game was very niggly and fans got right up for it. EE went mental when winner went in.

Yes, there was qn element of expectation at that game that we could go top of the league and it was just after Accies had beat us in the cup. I think the performance of Waddell gave it the extra edge too, When he he sent our second player off ( Durrant? ) it inctease the atmosphere.

Sure it was a week day at 3pm that game for some reason obviously just after christmas but can’t remember why it wasn’t at night
Boxing Day or the day after. Atmosphere was something else for a league game. The atmosphere v St Mirren in the league opener on a Friday night was surreal too. Pitch invader and everything!

Yes, there was qn element of expectation at that game that we could go top of the league and it was just after Accies had beat us in the cup. I think the performance of Waddell gave it the extra edge too, When he he sent our second player off ( Durrant? ) it inctease the atmosphere.
I better go look this game up, I was sure it was before the cup game but that's 2 folk now said it was after.

Borussia Dortmund in 1995 was particularly decent, given there was only 33,000 or so in the ground (3 match CL package pricing was a factor I seem to remember).

Borussia Dortmund in 1995 was particularly decent, given there was only 33,000 or so in the ground (3 match CL package pricing was a factor I seem to remember).

I'm sure that was a Murray experiment it was about £30 a ticket ,which was very expensive then and he came out and said he had got the pricing wrong afterward.

Ps it was f@cking freezing that night :D

Back