Bruno starts for Portugal

Given he will likely get an extended break after the World Cup he is already going to be playing catch-up with the rest of the team under Gerrard. Someone else will have 'his' place early doors - so he will need to impress to win it back.

Given he will likely get an extended break after the World Cup he is already going to be playing catch-up with the rest of the team under Gerrard. Someone else will have 'his' place early doors - so he will need to impress to win it back.

He'll need to do an entire pre season on his own when he comes back.

It's nonsensical to think he's going to magically be a much improved player next season if he hangs around.

He toiled last season and one year on; his body's only going to be another year older, we're several more injuries further down the line than we were this time last year.

Some of the Bears are kidding themselves on with this guy.

Alves was a major disappointment last year. But he had no consistent game time, (in for 1 or 2 games and then out again, usually thru injury) it's not been the first player to be poor in his first year and then improve in his second, although in his his case age is against him

He’s been a major let down never really got going he has a lot to prove hope he proves himself next season keep thinking of his non performance in the league cup semi against Motherwell truly embarrassing

He’s been a major let down never really got going he has a lot to prove hope he proves himself next season keep thinking of his non performance in the league cup semi against Motherwell truly embarrassing

Eh? He has nothing to prove. He’s succeeded at a far higher level than the one he’s playing at right now and he’s just off to another World Cup with the European champions.

Shite management, shite players, injuries and genera disarray are responsible for last season. The guy doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone, his career record and CV speaks for itself.

A lot of exaggerating goes on surrounding Alves. The accusations of him feigning injury were extremely weird.

He’s been far from terrible, solid most weeks. Not outstanding but certainly not been poor.

Might be a high earner but we hardly paid anything for him in terms of a fee so his outlay isn’t that big. Personally would keep him for the remainder of his contract.

Yes he never performed has as well as I thought he would however that being said he was lightyears better than Martin yet he still seemed to get a game. How many goals did Martin cause?

If we were playing three at the back next season and you had Alves, Goldson and another mobile quick centre half.

Eh? He has nothing to prove. He’s succeeded at a far higher level than the one he’s playing at right now and he’s just off to another World Cup with the European champions.

Shite management, shite players, injuries and genera disarray are responsible for last season. The guy doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone, his career record and CV speaks for itself.
He was utter shite , dress it up anyway you want using injuries as an excuse but I’d bet none of those silly niggly injuries will stop him playing for Portugal

Jerome Rothen and Nuno Capucho succeeded at a far higher level than Scottish Football.

They were also bloody rotten Rangers players.

Oh look, another FF medic.

Even Dr Dolittle must be impressed by the effort Alves put in, he walked about with a cast on for 3 weeks, spent numerous hours at physio and hospital

Thats dedication to pretending to be injured.

Even Dr Dolittle must be impressed by the effort Alves put in, he walked about with a cast on for 3 weeks, spent numerous hours at physio and hospital

Thats dedication to pretending to be injured.

I’m sure these fellas nipped down to Ross hall and had a look at his scans. Clearly they couldn’t find anything untoward.

On a side note, the abuse aimed at him when he went off at the piggery was ridiculous.

An excellent defender who with a competent partner and competent manager could still be a success at Rangers, despite what the esteemed members of the Carstairs Loyal think.

Jerome Rothen and Nuno Capucho succeeded at a far higher level than Scottish Football.

They were also bloody rotten Rangers players.

Some folks follow football more than they follow Rangers - Alves excited them and that was it....other people go to Rangers games and follow Rangers.

Perforances for Porto and Zenit mean %^*& all when you are standing at Firhill watching Alves and Cardoso play like a pair of diddies.

I always get a wee laugh looking at the the same name that crops up to ‘like’ any post that disagrees with me. It’s like I’ve got a strange and obsessed wee stalker still trying to hump my leg despite being on ignore for months.

Some folks follow football more than they follow Rangers - Alves excited them and that was it....other people go to Rangers games and follow Rangers.

Perforances for Porto and Zenit mean %^*& all when you are standing at Firhill watching Alves and Cardoso play like a pair of diddies.

I was excited about the Alves signing.

I was one of those (foolishly) predicting he'd stroll it last summer.

It took until our second league game (Hibs at Ibrox) when it became clear that wasn't going to happen.

Tbh I gave up on Alves last October when he got ragdolled about by Louis Moult at Hampden. It was clear then we'd signed a player who was done.

I don't know why some are still digging their heels in and pretending it's not the case.

It took until our second league game (Hibs at Ibrox) when it became clear that wasn't going to happen.

Tbh I gave up on Alves last October when he got ragdolled about by Louis Moult at Hampden. It was clear then we'd signed a player who was done.

I don't know why some are still digging their heels in and pretending it's not the case.

To be fair its mostly folks who were backing Pena and Pedro long after most of our fans realised they were a bag of shite..

Only so many times folks can back the wrong horse before you realise they just spraff pish all the time.

And yet Russel Martin was Murty's CB of choice.

Alves and Goldson is a CB pairing capable of winning a league better than ours.

I thought Murty got a lot of unfair stick considering he was stepping up (again) after a Board error.

But Russell Martin was criminal. Jimmy Nicholl shouldn't have picked him either. Weak, slow, couldn't jump, couldn't tackle, error prone and no passion. A disgrace.

Selling Wilson was a very stupid move, as Bates and him were doing just fine.

A class act but signs are he can't last 90 minutes and certainly can't play 2 games a week without his body breaking down and him booking flights back to the sunshine. My opinion is we cant afford a £25k a week back up centre half spending most of the season on the bench.

Mental gymnastics being performed to justify hoping a player will “come good” because he used to be good. Again.

I hope big Bruno has a great World Cup but he’s not what we need at all. As we all seen.

He’s off to the World Cup with Portugal.

I know some of you guys fancy yourselves football coaches but he’s not going to be selected by coaches far more qualified than the ones over here if he’s “done”

Sudamericaranger mentioned mental gymnastics, but ironically it’s guys like him and yourself that are doing all the mental gymnastics. Bruno Alves, good enough to be selected for Portugal but not good enough to play in the SPL in a country that is by a large a joke in the footballing weird, aye nae bother! I mean common sense alone should tell folk that if used correctly he could still be decent for us. No doubt he’s declining physically and in a quite a significant way, but still, I feel like the guys that coach the European champions deserve to get the nod ahead of FF’s finest.

Back