Bugbear # 2 singing

I don't care what any other fans sing, I care about our club and I care about our fans and our reputation.
For the past 5 years the football world have looked on amazed at our loyalty towards Rangers.
We have TV companies from all over the globe come to record what this pronominal support is about.
how sad is it when they hear theses pathetic songs sung about subject matter which has nothing to to with our history.
We have always been a club with a Presbyterian background and in my opinion we should all be proud of our heritage.
What we should'nt be is a PR machine for Irish Republicanism and the Church of Rome
We as a support have practically single handlely kept Bobby Sands memory alive
Let's sing songs about our club,our history,our Britishness and our heritage

Is singing Will You Stand ok?

I don't care what any other fans sing, I care about our club and I care about our fans and our reputation.
For the past 5 years the football world have looked on amazed at our loyalty towards Rangers.
We have TV companies from all over the globe come to record what this pronominal support is about.
how sad is it when they hear theses pathetic songs sung about subject matter which has nothing to to with our history.
We have always been a club with a Presbyterian background and in my opinion we should all be proud of our heritage.
What we should'nt be is a PR machine for Irish Republicanism and the Church of Rome
We as a support have practically single handlely kept Bobby Sands memory alive
Let's sing songs about our club,our history,our Britishness and our heritage
Outstanding post mate.

Well said, need to stop all this religious nonsense and get behind the team, Pena blessed himself last night

Which we should have no issue with. It's 2017.

I also wish those saying it's not offensive would grasp that 'being offensive' isn't the issue. Nobody is actually offended by songs at a football ground, but there's just no reason whatsoever for us to be singing about catholics or the IRA. None.

Thankfully this board represents a minority of our support.

Never once met or know of any bear that shares the same opinion of the many "bears" on here.

Riddy that these threads always gets started. Fact is our songs wont be going away anytime soon and our tremendous away support will be loud & proud

Thankfully this board represents a minority of our support.

Never once met or know of any bear that shares the same opinion of the many "bears" on here.

Riddy that these threads always gets started. Fact is our songs wont be going away anytime soon and our tremendous away support will be loud & proud
Your so called 'our songs 'are not Rangers songs ,our loud and proud followed the team for 4 years in the lower leagues without singing most of this crap.
As for it being a minority of views, why is it hardly heard at home. To many of our younger support think an away day is an excuse to sing about IRA and Pope.

Your so called 'our songs 'are not Rangers songs ,our loud and proud followed the team for 4 years in the lower leagues without singing most of this crap.
As for it being a minority of views, why is it hardly heard at home. To many of our younger support think an away day is an excuse to sing about IRA and Pope.

Most of this crap? Majority of songs sung at away games have been sung for far more than the years in lower leagues.

Hardly anything is heard at home. Minority as in what people post on here ive never met or know of a fan that thinks this way.

Im in my 30's so im out of the younger support.

Never said I agree with the songs just saying the away support get behind the team far more.

Nope sorry I'm not understanding what point you are trying to make,the vast majority of songs sung at away matches are all around a 50p song, a song about hating Catholics,a song about a dead IRA terrorist and FTP....so where does any of that get behind the team as you put it?

Listen if Northern Ireland fans can use their song book to support their team without reverting to FTP etc , we can do the same, there are plenty of songs from the loyalist community our History that can be used just don't put the crass add-ons . We are a proud people with a proud history of facing down Irish republican terror gangs and their chattering class friends in the media just let us do it with class and the Rangers way of fair play and the best standards, that's how we have been taught. Leave the knuckle dragging to them.

You reckon a song most of us sung in Primary school in the 80s about buying a flute for 50 pence and fucking the Pope and the IRA is evidence of a great atmosphere. I don't, nor did the guys I watched the game with.
I post this as a long serving Orangeman

I dont think we should be singing it, no. I agree with that. But what about the other songs sung? It wasnt sung for 90 minutes and wasnt even the loudest song of the night. Certainly not embarrassed by our support on Friday night, it was the best in ages.

These songs aren't new, and the reason most were not sung away in the bottom tiers was because for the most part no songs were sung at all. When we played our biggest games in those years, the old songs absolutely returned.

Most of this crap? Majority of songs sung at away games have been sung for far more than the years in lower leagues.

Hardly anything is heard at home. Minority as in what people post on here ive never met or know of a fan that thinks this way.

Im in my 30's so im out of the younger support.
In the lower league years the club and individuals were under threat of sanctions and the Billy boys and add on's stopped. Our support around every ground in the country was tremendous without most of these songs.
Ask the fan lifted and sent to jail for singing for months about Pope and IRA was it worth it.

Nope sorry I'm not understanding what point you are trying to make,the vast majority of songs sung at away matches are all around a 50p song, a song about hating Catholics,a song about a dead IRA terrorist and FTP....so where does any of that get behind the team as you put it?
We could always just sing 'Defence Defence Defence' when under attack. Or 'Lets Go Rangers, Lets Go'. However, that would be fucking pish. But at least it backs the team eh?

Do you think the players on the park actually know what we are singing? Colombians and Mexicans on the park saying to themselves "if they sang about Rangers id try a bit more". %^*& sake.

In the lower league years the club and individuals were under threat of sanctions and the Billy boys and add on's stopped. Our support around every ground in the country was tremendous without most of these songs.
Ask the fan lifted and sent to jail for singing for months about Pope and IRA was it worth it.

Certainly not how I remember it and I was at the majority of those games. The fans stopped singing the Billy Boys after the Villarreal game and we did actually have a major clamp down. The songs disappeared for a long time, not just in the lower leagues. People are sick of not having a level playing field. Why should we have to watch our singing while we have to listen to songs about Child Killers and Irish Republican Terrorism? But at least the foreigners watching wont be offended eh.

Would like to think that the Union Bears would take this on. I think if we really want to have an ultras type support like European clubs do then these lads need to be in the vanguard of ensuring that we get up the opposing teams nose. It's how they do it is the real answer , it doesn't need to be choir boy stuff just use wit coupled with traditional Rangers and historical songs without the add-ons and we are on to a winner . I know the young guys in the Union Bears can do it because going back to our first game against Brechin when we didn't even know if we would get a licence to play , these lads caught the feeling of our support for the love of our club. Three little birds and erasure songs were used to great effect , it showed we had the people who loved the club and wanted to let the viewing public that we were never going away. Wit and humour will destroy our enemies.

I have been on both sides here. I sang the songs about the papa and the slimmer, but as you get older you do get wiser. Now I much prefer the Rangers songs we sing and recently my favourite has started getting a run out, a trip to Ibrox. What I would ask the young team to think about is, why keep Sands and the popes memory alive whilst allowing the memory of great Rangers servants to die away. Baxter, Jardine, Shearer, Waddell and so on. We have songs about them, let the world hear them.

So if we don't like the songs that means we're offended? Get fucked. We're just fucked off with this garbage still getting sang at games. These songs have zero relevance to our club or football in general. In a world where we have so many enemies, we are happily handing them more ammunition on us.

"They'd say we sang it anyway though!" is the biggest load of shite excuse too. So what? We might as well act like braindead mongos because people think we are?

It doesn't make someone a poet because they're sick of hearing this shite being sung. You could argue these fans are better than those singing the pish because they actually give a %^*& about the club avoiding punishments.

"But our traditions!" Our traditions are Jim Baxter, Willie Waddell, Bill Struth, Davie Cooper, Paul Gascoigne, Brian Laudrup, Walter Smith, men of that ilk. Nine in a row, Barcelona, Road to Manchester, 54 fucking titles. Not some fud who shat himself in a prison cell decades ago.

Bang on, mate. My feelings exactly.

What more can the club do?
We've had various initiatives over the last 15 years, and some strides have been made, but it's the fans who need to take responsibility.

The fans need leadership. The board should get together with Club 1872, the SLO and reps from supporters' clubs to publish an official, up to date songbook.

Derry's Walls and Follow Follow are good songs but over time the words have become bastardised and to be frank they have been ruined.

Perhaps the introduction of safe standing could be an opportunity for the club to get agreement with the most vocal fans on what is and isnt acceptable.

The fans need leadership. The board should get together with Club 1872, the SLO and reps from supporters' clubs to publish an official, up to date songbook.

Derry's Walls and Follow Follow are good songs but over time the words have become bastardised and to be frank they have been ruined.

Perhaps the introduction of safe standing could be an opportunity for the club to get agreement with the most vocal fans on what is and isnt acceptable.

The introduction of any kind of standing at Ibrox would certainly lead to an increase in atmosphere, that's beyond debate.

However, the club have preiously published the wee blue book with songs, correct versions of songs and a nod in the direction of what is acceptable and for a while it was adhered to.
Sadly there's been a backward step this season with song of the stuff that's getting regular outings again. In particular "50 pence" has been the default since the trip to Sheffield and whilst it creates atmosphere, it is embarrassing that we're still FTPing and IRAing.

Equally embarrassing would be the thought that some of our fans don't know traditional Rangers songs so their default is "50 pence" etc.

Without a doubt bud, half the handwringers on here would rather we sat silent tho, jokers!

Follow follow
Blue sea of Ibrox
Paisley Road West
Wolverhampton Town
Cardoso song (no add-ons)
Penny Arcade
Four boys had a dream
In Barcelona
Alfredo Morelos to Seven Nation Army
God save the Queen
A dozen others I can't think of

You no think there's a middle ground between silence and singing about the pope and the IRA?

Like most guys on her I am a Rangers fan from a (nominally at least) working class Protestant family.

I have sung all of the traditional songs in the past and particularly enjoy Derry's Walls and The Sash as a nod to our own bretheren across the water. However no one in my family goes to church or is in the Orange Order - many in my family have spouses, friends and extended family who are nominally catholic. In other words being from a protestant background and being a Rangers fan does not automatically turn you into a hater of all things catholic. How can I then stand at a football match and sing some of the pish that our support sing about religion? If I hate anything its Celtic

I'll be honest (and will probably be attacked for saying it) - the way we are going as a support is really spoiling my enjoyment of watching the football, both at the game and in the house. The only place I ever hear Bobby Sands being mentioned nowadays is when our support start singing about him. The Fabio Cardoso song is absolute embarrassment. Let it go FFS

Rangers are a football club - we play football. We are not a religious or a cultural organisation - our fans come from all cultures, as do our players and management. Any chance we can keep the religious/paramilitary stuff to a minimum and start singing more songs about the 145 year history of our football club?

Do you go to away games , were you at Partick?

You reckon a song most of us sung in Primary school in the 80s about buying a flute for 50 pence and fucking the Pope and the IRA is evidence of a great atmosphere. I don't, nor did the guys I watched the game with.
I post this as a long serving Orangeman

Agree completely.

Watched the game with two other loyal bears and we all agreed that the songs at Firhill coming over the TV were an embarrassment.

I genuinely cannot understand why people cant or wont get their heads round the fact that times have changed. It is simply unacceptable to be singing %^*& the pope in public these days.

Last edited:
So if we don't like the songs that means we're offended? Get fucked. We're just fucked off with this garbage still getting sang at games. These songs have zero relevance to our club or football in general. In a world where we have so many enemies, we are happily handing them more ammunition on us.

"They'd say we sang it anyway though!" is the biggest load of shite excuse too. So what? We might as well act like braindead mongos because people think we are?

It doesn't make someone a poet because they're sick of hearing this shite being sung. You could argue these fans are better than those singing the pish because they actually give a %^*& about the club avoiding punishments.

"But our traditions!" Our traditions are Jim Baxter, Willie Waddell, Bill Struth, Davie Cooper, Paul Gascoigne, Brian Laudrup, Walter Smith, men of that ilk. Nine in a row, Barcelona, Road to Manchester, 54 fucking titles. Not some fud who shat himself in a prison cell decades ago.

That's perhaps more colourful language than I might have used, but it is an outstanding post.

Agree with all of that

Last edited:
I have noticed one of my favourite loyalists songs "men behind the wire" being sung at Ibrox by the ub's and was quite loud on friday as well.

Watched the game on TV and was thoroughly embarrassed by the moronic chants by so called supporters. There is no logic in singing this dated nonsense

Our away support is generally excellent and keep it going for the majority of the 90.

I just wish we'd get a grip and just stick to Rangers songs! Absoslutely no need for anyone to be singing about things that have nothing to do with football. The constant need for any new song to have something non football related shoehorned in really is quite embarrassing.

We already have a big enough target on our back with our media and other clubs desperate to find something negative to say so continueing to do this is only going to get us in trouble.

Some of our fans sense of entitlement is beyond a joke. "I'll sing what I want" but yet they'd be the first to complain if we are sanctioned! You can sing what you want if that is what you want to do but don't do it in the ground. Keep it for the clubs and pubs etc

If the bigotry drowns out the groans from the greetin faced non singers, then I'm all for it. I'm almost positive that will have a worse effect on the players than any mention of the pope.

If the bigotry drowns out the groans from the greetin faced non singers, then I'm all for it. I'm almost positive that will have a worse effect on the players than any mention of the pope.

As mentioned a few times on this thread already, it isn't about telling people NOT to sing it's telling them to be careful about WHAT they are singing. We have a great depth of songs capable of creating an atmosphere without mentioning anything to do with Celtic, Catholicism or hunger strikers.

As mentioned a few times on this thread already, it isn't about telling people NOT to sing it's telling them to be careful about WHAT they are singing. We have a great depth of songs capable of creating an atmosphere without mentioning anything to do with Celtic, Catholicism or hunger strikers.

I agree care should be taken to make sure neither they or the club get in to bother for what they sing, but if they're not then as far as I'm concerned they can sing what they like as they're the only ones making an effort to contribute to the atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure most of the people on here slating it won't be able to start a song from their living room, and if they do go to games then they should try and start a couple.

Imagine singing that in Europe if we had qualified and gone further. That would be good for the club would,nt it. Loud and proud some say, get out , get a life. Think of the club you support. The Club has got to stand up to this with the fans groups and get the message out it is not accepted.

Or the club will suffer!

Back