Chris Hughton

Another fallacy, and one year is not enough to establish anything on the job he did. He was Brighton manager for five years, but he managed that because he is poor at his job? Football itself is a results driven business when it comes to scores and tables, but you believe that extends to how to gauge the adequacy of someone in a job as well? That is irrational.
So Le Guen and Pedro should have been given more time at Rangers? It was irrational to part ways?

Due to being a nice fella hes the sort of guy to bring in when youve sacked someone not so nice but for a Manager seen as a 'Championship expert' he does lack any real success at that level, other than some minor joy many moons ago.

Notts Forest have been a dogs dinner club for so long its hard to see them ever making sense of what they should be doing.

In 1969, I was a student and worked in an engineering company in Nottingham for the summer on work experience.

Stayed in West Bridgford and would use a launderette which was owned by John Barnwell who played for Notts Forest.

It was odd seeing him playing on a Saturday at the City Ground against the likes of Leeds United, then he would be helping to fold my clothes when I took them out of a drier, in his launderette, on the Monday.
Nottingham seemed a friendly place.

Fleetwood Mac played in a local rowing club. Entry, 10/- (50p). Cheap price considering Albatross was released the year before.

:)

Chris Hughton is a nice guy, a gentleman and in his day a good and respected footballer.

It is perhaps unfair to describe him as a 'good' or a 'poor' manager because there are many factors to be considered. As far as I can see, and looking at where he has been in position as manager or head coach, he has never really been tested in terms of managing any club at top level with the level of resources where he would have been expected to deliver results in terms of trophies and league position. I exclude EFL Championship where he had decent success but, in the Premier League with Newcastle, Norwich and subsequently Brighton, he clearly was constrained by finance and accordingly found himself struggling to maintain club status, fighting relegation year on year. The obvious result of under financing generally results in performances becoming more and more defensive due to the normal high cost of strikers and the whole thing becoming harder and harder as finances become more and more limited hence the same problems recruiting defenders.

Although I don't know the full circumstances, I was a STH at Brighton during his tenure and watched on as he struggled to maintain EPL status but eventually the owner decided enough was enough and he was replaced by a manager who favoured a more attacking style of football and Brighton have moved on somewhat from the CH era.

Whatever else I wish him (CH) well in whatever he does next.

Last edited:
Back