Clement on a hiding to nothing

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
As much as we all like the idea of starting next season with a new squad and getting rid of the bottle merchants Tav, Goldson, Lundstrum etc... I think we're going to be left disappointed.

Tav is 32, Goldson is 31 and luckily Lundstrum is out of contract. Finding teams to take Tav and Goldson on the wages they're on will be hard going, plus the added factor of having the £ to replace them?

This is where he's on a hiding to nothing imo because if they can't find clubs or he wants to keep them then he won't get much sympathy from the fans next season when it inevitably starts to go wrong again.

We have 9 players due to leave when their contracts expire which will free up a good % of the wage bill with a few ? marks over another 6/7 not including Goldson or Tav.

The manager imo will see this as too much of a rebuild getting rid of them all so we might be left with a good few of the let downs from this season come pre season.

I suspect Tav and Goldson will be here next season however, they shouldn’t be playing 50+ games for us.

If they leave along with some of the others expected, we are looking at a rebuild that a our budget won’t support.

The two of them combined have played a huge number of games over the last 3 or 4 years - thats really starting to show

Goldson would be the biggest problem of the three.

As you say, JL can go at end of contract if wanted.

Tav is far from the worst of our problems, as much as I think it’s time for us all to move on, so if he was still here as part of a better squad it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

But Goldson for me is just finished. He looks like he’s lost almost every part of his game. Strength, pace, reading of the game, heading, gets beaten on the ground too easily. I respect him and his service through the years, but he honestly just appears to be at the end of his career and dipping fast.

I’m not sure who is going to want him that isn’t going to require him being open to a step down and not wanting to see out his contract.

As a club we really struggle moving players on.

More often than not it's because we pay them far too much money for what they offer in return, meaning no club is going to match what we're paying. It's why we end up with so many out of contact players.

It's depressing as %^*& when you think about it.

As much as we all like the idea of starting next season with a new squad and getting rid of the bottle merchants Tav, Goldson, Lundstrum etc... I think we're going to be left disappointed.

Tav is 32, Goldson is 31 and luckily Lundstrum is out of contract. Finding teams to take Tav and Goldson on the wages they're on will be hard going, plus the added factor of having the £ to replace them?

This is where he's on a hiding to nothing imo because if they can't find clubs or he wants to keep them then he won't get much sympathy from the fans next season when it inevitably starts to go wrong again.

We have 9 players due to leave when their contracts expire which will free up a good % of the wage bill with a few ? marks over another 6/7 not including Goldson or Tav.

The manager imo will see this as too much of a rebuild getting rid of them all so we might be left with a good few of the let downs from this season come pre season.
The worst part is he seems to want to keep Lundstram too if we let clubs know Tav and maybe Goldson were available we'd maybe get offers

The worst part is he seems to want to keep Lundstram too if we let clubs know Tav and maybe Goldson were available we'd maybe get offers
I can see the logic in wanting to keep him from the managers point of view but as fans we don't want to see it.

I said 9 but it's 10 players leaving out of contract and then question marks over Davies, King, Dowell, Matondo, Lawrence, Raskin and Dessers.

That is too much of a rebuild for 1 season, that's why we'll end up with most of them back.

I agree the likelihood is that Tav and Goldson are still in the back 4 next season.

People will argue for and against this. For me a clean break would bring a real freshness and feeling of a new era.

There's always going to be a cloud around then because the majority of the support just don't have any faith in them. Tav and Goldson mostly lose against Celtic, directly and for trophies across a season.

You only have to have a think about how we view guys like Peter Grant and Tom Boyd. Guys we just beat all the time, we ridiculed them and there was absolutely no fear there.

Regardless of what you think of them as players there's always now going to be this horrible stigma around them which I don't think is healthy.

You have to ask at 33 and 32 next season whether it's worth it.

What a bundle of fun!

I actually think the manager probably wants to keep Lundstram. He’s fine if he isn’t the only midfielder like he’s been most of 2024. Not great, but fine.

Tavernier is IMO our best player still. Surround him with better players and we should get better results.

Goldson looks done. It pains me to say it because I think he’s still the best we have and second best CB in the league, but he’s losing more duels than he’s winning this season. I can’t see him moving on though due to wages and age unless an English Championship side fancy a veteran.

We are at Gerrard levels of revolution again, unfortunately though no manager will get the time Gerrard got & even at that covid probably saved Gerrards job as well.

I can see the logic in wanting to keep him from the managers point of view but as fans we don't want to see it.

I said 9 but it's 10 players leaving out of contract and then question marks over Davies, King, Dowell, Matondo, Lawrence, Raskin and Dessers.

That is too much of a rebuild for 1 season, that's why we'll end up with most of them back
Renewing Lundstram is a decision that would get him the sack imo he's not good enough technically for what we need out of a no6 and there has been plenty of games where he's looked like he's towing a caravan

Goldson is a problem but atleast he is able to play unlike Davies and to an extent Balogun, Lundstram is in the same boat, went through a really strong bit of form but fell away and hasnt been able to be swapped out due to the likes of Jack being injured, Sterling needing to play Right wing and Left back. Could say the same for Tav, was playing well until recently, again cant play Sterling at Rb because of injuries at other positions and a chancer like Borna.

Tav, Goldson and Lundstram are not the biggest issue for me, yes they have fallen short time and time but they are nearly always there to play, we have a 2nd 11 that is injured or unable to play, thats the big issue.

Borna Davies Balogun
Jack Raskin Dowell
Danilo Roofe Sima Cortes Matondo thats 11 off the top of my head that have been out for long periods this season. Some obviously not their fault but its still come back to bite us.

Lundstram on 30 plus a week shlould be replaced with a better footballer. But he puts himself into contention for a start even when hes carrying knocks and loss of form, if hes just told to screen the defence and win duels hes fine, he cant be the one to dictate play and create chances, he needs a player or two in there to do that.

Tav and Sterling can fight it out for Rb

Goldson could stay and be part of a fit and available set of CB's.

Renewing Lundstram is a decision that would get him the sack imo he's not good enough technically for what we need out of a no6 and there has been plenty of games where he's looked like he's towing a caravan
I'm 100% with you there in everything you say butreplacing him costs £ we don't have. That's why I think he'll want to keep him.

I’m hoping Tav and Goldson are off to Saudi if Gerrard still wanting them out the two I’d keep Tav but Goldson needs to be told to find a new club he’s surplus to requirements.

Tavernier shouldn't be going anywhere.

We are in no financial position to be replacing anyone that still contributes as there are so many positions on the field who are giving us zero.

We need, as a minimum, 2 new centre backs, 2 new centre mids, at least 1 winger of note and a decent number 9.

We could also do with a number 10 who actually produces something especially in tight moments.

Ally that to the fact we are already on the hook for £4m for Diomande and we need to put everything we have into these positions.

We need better footballers and lots of them right down the middle of the team.

This notion of "lacking bottle" is thrown around a lot and it is nonsense.You dont score the amount of crucial penalties and free kicks that Tav does without having bottle.
Form is a different matter.Goldson has gone from a decent centre half with a good pass,to a shambling mess,he has played too many games and needs rested for his own and the teams good.
Lundstram was "the best on earth"for many on here,did he lack botttle then?
Tav is not at his best and his passing has been slack but still is a valuable asset,he is our leading scorer against the mhanks this season and has contributed a phenomenal amount of goals all season.

I suspect Tav and Goldson will be here next season however, they shouldn’t be playing 50+ games for us.

If they leave along with some of the others expected, we are looking at a rebuild that a our budget won’t support.

The two of them combined have played a huge number of games over the last 3 or 4 years - thats really starting to show
Squad management and rotation is key here.

I'm in the minority but I actually prefer rotation and wanted Goldson rested ages ago so he was fresh for the run in.

Not only would it have made an out of form player hungry to get back it wouldn't be as much as a risk or statement now if he's dropped for Balogun.

Also Balogun has had limited game time as well!

I think next season you'll see more rotation when we have a stronger squad and he is able to do so.

Even if we have to pay a high percentage of their wages getting Tav and Goldson out on loan and away from our club is the most fundamental thing Clement must do for next season.

Let lundstram go. That's 30k a week saved.

Bring In a new number 1 CB and a young CB with potential. We most likely won't be able to move goldson on, so make him fight it out for his spot.

Id like to see a real challenger to Tav coming in. Both he and goldson are too comfortable and know they'll play if fit, so competition might be a good thing.

A fair assessment Gazza.

Even if we have to pay a high percentage of their wages getting Tav and Goldson out on loan and away from our club is the most fundamental thing Clement must do for next season.

I can understand people wanting a fresh start and moving these guys on now but on what planet would we actually pay money to get rid of the one guy who actually contributes for us? People have well and truly lost their head with this now.

Are you Martin Bain?

Depends who we sign.
Not a fan of signing someone and making them Captain when they have only just signed, unless of course the player is high profile and comes in as a proven winner, which I doubt is the kind of players we will be signing.

This notion of "lacking bottle" is thrown around a lot and it is nonsense.You dont score the amount of crucial penalties and free kicks that Tav does without having bottle.
Form is a different matter.Goldson has gone from a decent centre half with a good pass,to a shambling mess,he has played too many games and needs rested for his own and the teams good.
Tav is not at his best and his passing has been slack but still is a valuable asset,he is our leading scorer against the mhanks this season and has contributed a phenomenal amount of goals all season.
Bottle is shown when you are in the driving seat at the business end of the season, not in individual moments.

The team went on about mentality after celebrating a draw against Celtic, yet take 1 kick at county and revert back to stinking the place out.

This team take 1 knock and it seems to linger... That's bottle and bottle drags a team through tough moments.

I'd say Tav lacks leadership skills required to be a Rangers captain, rather than bottle. As a player he's fine.

In retrospect, when Goldson allowed his contract to run down, that should have been the end of the road for him at Rangers.

'Best on earth' was basically a lyric to fit a tune for Lundstram. I don't think anyone ever believed that, so let's not take it too literally. He's shown flashes of good form throughout his Rangers career, in between long periods of being very ordinary. Time to say thank you and goodbye.

Hiding to nothing right enough, if he only he could have cobbled together a team capable of beating the might of Motherwell and Ross County, things would have looked a whole lot rosier for next season.

I think the only chance of moving them on is if Gerrard offers them a last payday. Perhaps Goldson would take a championship move

Nailed it first sentence,if they can't be sold then use them as part of the squad altho I don't think the Nig man will be quite as pleasant next year.
He has to be given a chance.

Goldson would be the biggest problem of the three.

As you say, JL can go at end of contract if wanted.

Tav is far from the worst of our problems, as much as I think it’s time for us all to move on, so if he was still here as part of a better squad it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

But Goldson for me is just finished. He looks like he’s lost almost every part of his game. Strength, pace, reading of the game, heading, gets beaten on the ground too easily. I respect him and his service through the years, but he honestly just appears to be at the end of his career and dipping fast.

I’m not sure who is going to want him that isn’t going to require him being open to a step down and not wanting to see out his contract.
A fair summation.

James Tavernier still has a role to play, but being so defensively suspect cannot continue if we are to get to the next level.

I can understand people wanting a fresh start and moving these guys on now but on what planet would we actually pay money to get rid of the one guy who actually contributes for us? People have well and truly lost their head with this now.

Are you Martin Bain?
He might be able to contribute to a bottom tier championship club. Add in a signing fee and see if we can get money for him. At this moment of time no club will come in to sign Tavernier or Goldson, the best we can hope for is getting them out on loan.

Back