Commentators using the same phrases again and again

For the older Bears - Arthur Montford: "Over it comes. Up go the heads"; "What a stramash"; "Sensation". All often repeated by Arthur but I never tired of hearing them.

As a young lad the one that I always loved to hear was from David Francey on the old Scottish Home Service. "And good afternoon from Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow".

Also "up go the heads"

Also hate when a shot hits the bar/post or just misses both. That was a fantastic/amazing etc... shot. No it wasnt if it was any of those it would have gone in.

Alan Stubbs on BT Wednesday night, ". . . they literally through him (Murty) under a bus . . . "

May have meant metaphorically?

Jamie Redknapp is a top pundit.

I understand things can become repetitive but generally he gives a good insight then brings others into the debate. It’s his job.
Hey Jamie :D

He’s a terrible pundit that rattles off the same cliche nonense we hear week in week out. Carragher/Neville offer a great insight and piss all over Redknapp.

Andy gray would always call the top players by their first name, Wayne is just incredible instead of Rooney implying he knows him and they are busom buddies. Such a sookie arse.
Crocker must be the most annoying commentator, same pish patter every game.
Atkinson would always want the ball thrown in the mixer at every opportunity.

Ray Wilkins (God Bless Him) always used first name terms for players as well, stay on your feet John, stay on your feet.

Hey Jamie :D

He’s a terrible pundit that rattles off the same cliche nonense we hear week in week out. Carragher/Neville offer a great insight and piss all over Redknapp.

If you read our new manager’s book you realise how knowledgeable and respected JR is in game. And the respect he had of the younger players for the help he provided them and the way he treated them compared others.

Tom Miller calling every shot hit that is hit slightly hard (most of them over the bar by about 10 yards), an exocet

Crocker when Graham Alexander was playing for Scotland "His dad's a big Rangers fan".

Every time ! If the game was really bad he'd mention the same fact twice !!

You tube or google Charlie Nicholas “sitting there Thinking” makes him look a bigger knob than he is

Last edited:
A common phrase that has crept in is 'just about e.g. 'the keeper's just about got a hand to that' when the keeper has clearly made a save' or 'the defender has just about cleared it' when the ball has been hoofed out the park. Used so many times and so irritating, to me anyway :p

This........does my head in. Just about feck all, they got the bloody ball. :mad:

One we will now have to suffer until the boy retires: "Not long ago he was playing amateur football in the Scottish 3rd division, now Andy Robertson is a champions league finalist"

Arthur Montford - "What a brouhaha in the goal mouth..."

When a keeper just about does enough to save the ball when he does if fact do enough and saves it. If he just about does enough, then he has not done enough and it would have been a goal.

"And here is Sasa Papac, the one remaining player from Paul le Guen's ill-fated time at Ibrox..."

Was coming to post this one:D

Noticed at the Aberdeen game Crocker referred to Jak Alnwick as "the last signing of the Mark Warburton era" so that might be his new one :D:D:D

Back