Cosgrove on Off The Ball ‘jokes’ that Richard Gough may not have been against apartheid in South Africa

This is the script: we will receive a poor excuse of an apology, thus: "we're sorry if anyone was offended . . . blah, blah, blah"

This is an update from the BBC Complaints team.

We wanted to let you know that we have referred your complaint to the relevant people and are still looking into it. We regret that it may take a little bit longer before we can reply. Please wait to hear from us before you contact us any further – we appreciate your patience.

Although we reply to most complaints within 2 weeks we cannot achieve this every time. It depends on what your complaint was about and how many others we are handling, or may sometimes be due to issues outside of our control. Sometimes it can take a while to hear back from the key people involved, but we often find the wait is worth it.

Please don’t reply to this email because it’s sent from an account which can’t receive replies. If you do need to get in touch, please use our webform instead at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your reference number.

For full details of our complaints process please visit:https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/how-we-handle-your-complaint.

Thank you for contacting us - we hope to be in touch soon.

Kind regards

BBC Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

This pair of fannies continually undermine our club with this supposed thin veil of comedy.

Doubt there’s another club that gets it week in week out. The anti Rangers bias in all things BBC is obvious and it seems they have to meet a quota of digs every week.

It’s the same in the more factual programme that follows, it’s the same on Sportscene.

In nazi germany the media poked fun at the Jews to “other” them and create division in society. The fact that the sports media outlets on the BBC is riddled with Celtic supporters makes it no coincidence that the editorial content is a disgrace.

I’d shut them down and bulldoze the building for social housing.

There's nothing for the club to do here. It's Richard Gough they are slandering.

Despite the obvious implications and intentions of the fat pie.
We should all be doing something.
The mutants would be doing more than just talking on a forum...
Take a minute....

Non apartheid doing well for south African white farmers now. This clown has no idea what day of the week it is, just another dig against the club and fans he hates. A bigot.
I work with a South African that basically had to sell up his business and emigrate over here due to the fall out of reparations and legislation that are destroying most industries in SA.

I think some of the stuff about solicitors is not going to happen. The best we can hope for is an apology and a reprimand from the BBC - make a complaint if you feel strongly about it.

I like Off the Ball, Cowan in particular is very funny. Cosgrove can be quite interesting but the fact is he hates Rangers and his comments were beyond the pale.
Cosgrove & Cowan don’t write their own material for Off The Ball.. they pay comedy acts to come up with it.
A mate of mine is in a comedy group and was suddenly asking me all kind of questions about Scottish football. When I asked him why he said that they had been commissioned by Cosgrove to provide gags for Off The Ball.

These BBC scum can say anything about Rangers. They before said that Sebo was being transferred to Edinburgh Zoo.
They also edited a video clip which depicted Ally McCoist throwing himself off Ibrox stadium during the times of administration in 2012.

Cosgrove & Cowan don’t write their own material for Off The Ball.. they pay comedy acts to come up with it.
A mate of mine is in a comedy group and was suddenly asking me all kind of questions about Scottish football. When I asked him why he said that they had been commissioned by Cosgrove to provide gags for Off The Ball.
Very interesting.

I used to listen to it, but gave up long ago.
I noticed if you got a comment read out, that would be your shot for the day.
One Sunday I got a comment or joke read out, then emailed regarding one of their other topics of the day.
Cosgrove then went on to start talking about something about this without mentioning me, so was using listeners' input as if it was their own.
Thought as much, a pair of talentless fuckwits.
Long past their sell by date.

Last edited:
I received a reply from the BBC just now. Sounds like everyone will get the same one -

Thanks for contacting us following Off the Ball on 20 January.

We’ve received complaints from listeners regarding a comment presenter Stuart Cosgrove made about Richard Gough's alleged views on apartheid in South Africa. We’ve raised these complaints with the programme and, to allow us to reply promptly and use the licence fee efficiently, we’re sending this response to everyone. We apologise in advance if aspects of your complaint have not been specifically addressed here.

We note the unhappiness with Stuart Cosgrove’s comment, following the discussion with guest Kenny Macintyre about an interview he had with former Rangers captain Richard Gough. The radio editor has spoken to Stuart and the production team about this remark, and we acknowledge this wasn’t appropriate to say on air.

Thank you again for getting in touch. We also included your comments in our overnight reports and shared them with senior BBC management.

Kind regards,

BBC Scotland Complaints Team
www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

It's surely up to Richard Gough now to take this further if he wants.It's him that was defamed or whatever you would call it,and him taking on the specky prick with legal action would be far more effective imo than anything more we could do.
Hope he does.

Just had the same response, have written back.
Told them it is completely unacceptable and thought an on air apology should be given, and asking what further action can be taken.

Well done on writing back. I hope other folk do the same and push this further.

Just had the same response, have written back.
Told them it is completely unacceptable and thought an on air apology should be given, and asking what further action can be taken.
Had the same response from the degenerate left luvies at the BBC, I'll be writing a letter tomorrow.

Dear Barcode

Thanks for contacting us following Off the Ball on 20 January.

We’ve received complaints from listeners regarding a comment presenter Stuart Cosgrove made about Richard Gough's alleged views on apartheid in South Africa. We’ve raised these complaints with the programme and, to allow us to reply promptly and use the licence fee efficiently, we’re sending this response to everyone. We apologise in advance if aspects of your complaint have not been specifically addressed here.

We note the unhappiness with Stuart Cosgrove’s comment, following the discussion with guest Kenny Macintyre about an interview he had with former Rangers captain Richard Gough. The radio editor has spoken to Stuart and the production team about this remark, and we acknowledge this wasn’t appropriate to say on air.

Thank you again for getting in touch. We also included your comments in our overnight reports and shared them with senior BBC management.

Kind regards,

BBC Scotland Complaints Team

Got the same reply with no option to reply. Called BBC Scotland & spoke to someone very helpful until I said that I was in contact with Mr Gough’s agent who is aware of the remark. They hung up at this point.

"... tickets from just under £9?"
Does that mean £8.99, or is it still just too impossible for these clowns to give a straight answer to anything? Sums up that mob's economics.
Not that I'm interested in going or anything, and nor should anyone on here, unless it's to heckle old Vesuvius face.

This will be a giggle. :confused:

Alcoholic drink being served in a Church of Scotland building? WTF?
Looking for the public’s money?

Can’t she just get her parasite partner to make a claim for another mobile phone bill?

Or even just extort folk at the door?

"... tickets from just under £9?"
Does that mean £8.99, or is it still just too impossible for these clowns to give a straight answer to anything? Sums up that mob's economics.
Not that I'm interested in going or anything, and nor should anyone on here, unless it's to heckle old Vesuvius face.
Would only be £8 in an independent Scotland.
Bloody Tory austerity

Alcoholic drink being served in a Church of Scotland building? WTF?
Not as bad as sweaty bodies writhing about in a Chapel Hall.

IMG-7911.jpg

Everything is funny until you make fun at my pals or my thoughts. It's their way. Divisive, hateful individual, would never listen to him or his show
This utter bawbag of a human being shouldn’t be listened to seriously.

A convicted person of sectarian abuse he cannot spout shite over politics when he is barely relevant after his recent disciplinary matters in which he brought into doubt over a Rangers legend supposed racist views.

A complete inadequate toss bag of a person.

Back