Davie Mcpherson’s mullet

McPherson always had that mullet from what I can remember.

Others rocked that look too back in the ‘80s (McCoist, Hugh Burns, Nicky Walker, Derek Ferguson, maybe Dougie Bell, from what I can remember off the top of my head) but grew out of it as fashions changed.

Not so McPherson. He just carried on strutting his stuff into the ‘90s and beyond with his big mullety perm.

He’s probably still got it now.

I remember Dave McPherson’s running style being compared to, “a giraffe chasing an ice-cream van” in FF all those years ago… brilliant description.

Tell you what though, those runs he went on from the defence and into the attack were always an adventure worth watching.

It was his shoulders (or lack of) that always intrigued me...

david-mcpherson-glasgow-rangers-fc-05-april-1994-HN7MEK.jpg

images

I remember him against Hibs breaking out from his own box and shot from the halfway line, it was in all the way then wind caught it and just pushed it wide. The best goal he never scored.

I must have seen Davie in just about every game he played for Rangers but despite that my overwhelming memory of him is wearing a ridiculous black mesh vest thingy in The Village in Shawlands.

I remember Dave McPherson’s running style being compared to, “a giraffe chasing an ice-cream van” in FF all those years ago… brilliant description.

Tell you what though, those runs he went on from the defence and into the attack were always an adventure worth watching.
I remember being in a very sparsely populated govan front when he went on a sortie up the pitch, someone shouted that he looked like he was running in his Mrs high heels.
Was the highlight of that match.

Mullets are back in. And I don’t care what anyone else thinks. They look great!!

Big Sadie was underrated as he got into a bad team (just pre-Souness) when he was arguably too raw. I remember him going for a header, by himself, at Dens and missing the ball completely. He’ll not make it.

In the end he matured into a great player who had a great career. One of our own.

Decent player in his time and by all accounts a gent.

His occasional Beckenbauer style mazy runs frightened the life out of opposing midfielders & defenders of the opposing team as well as his fellow Gers players and fans.

Don't want to be pedantic but that's not a mullet. A mullet has deliberately shorn hair at the front: business at the front, pay at the back. Big Dave is simply supporting a full head of overgrown hair.

Rudi Voller's mullet was a cracker.
Remember during Italia 90, Frank Rijkaard spitting in it and the spit had stuck to it.
Think both of them got sent off.

Back