Did anyone catch the Dortmund game last night?

For as impressive as they were second half Gladbach still had plenty of chances themselves it could’ve been a different game. It shows that we will get chances against them but they aren’t a bad team by any means. They looked much more solid at the back with Emre Can playing at right back, Zagadou going off injured is also a bad sign for us :))

Any mention of Haaland's chances of making it?
He was in the stands yesterday. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play on Thursday. Even half fit, they need to gamble as since they won't catch Bayern, this is their only real chance of silverware this season.

If Gio even thinks of setting up defensive we're out,simple as that.
Yeah, let us play open as Mönchengladbach did ...

We did exactly the right thing last Thursday, playing Jack and Lundstram in front of the back 4 and having Aribo, Kent and Arfield press them as early as possible. In fact, I would play Sakala instead of Arfield, as the former can be a pest to defenders and his pace and directness might be essential.

We came away with a 3-0 win from Lyon, which was as freak a result as last Thursday`s. They came to Ibrox and calmy brushed us aside 3-0 on their own. There is every chance that Dortmund want to put one over us and if they hit top gear, it will be hard. Yet, I think we played better there than we played in Lyon.

Dortmund (and most other teams there) are way above our weight and if anything, we can be grateful for the income of a packed Ibrox for the night. I can see us score goals, yet we have to be up for it and hope that our defence holds tight.

Tend to agree. Us with more games and them with less is exactly what we didn’t need when needing to beat them probably twice.
So, here's a question for you then - would you trade the UEFA Cup run in 2008 for the league title that year? Not saying we'll do anything remotely similar this year but

So, here's a question for you then - would you trade the UEFA Cup run in 2008 for the league title that year? Not saying we'll do anything remotely similar this year but
100% I would. We didn’t win either. Second is nothing. A lot of nice away days then a frustrating as hell end to the season.

I don't think anyone thinks we will progress with ease but if we play at our best we can certainly see the tie out.

We can lose 3 - 2 and still go through.

I think we all know Morelos will see this as his biggest ever shop window night. After that result in Dortmund, all of Europe will have one eye on Ibrox.

I expect to see absolute peak Morelos and him to put a performance in that will seal a big move in the summer.

100% I would. We didn’t win either. Second is nothing. A lot of nice away days then a frustrating as hell end to the season.
Winning the league that year (and securing a treble) would have been amazing but I just can't imagine not having that almost fairytale run in 2008. The pain of how it ended shouldn't cloud over how genuinely amazing it was beating Panathanaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting CP and Fiorentina.

Just shows the Bundesliga is a joke.

They've no chance of winning by 3 clear goals at Ibrox.

I get people being pessimistic at times but this is taking the piss. We're going through.
Steady on ffs :)) Nowhere near impossible for a team of their calibre to come and win at Ibrox, and it doesn't necessarily need to be by 3 clear goals.

Still plenty of work to do to get through but as I said above if we get the first goal it should be enough.

Winning the league that year (and securing a treble) would have been amazing but I just can't imagine not having that almost fairytale run in 2008. The pain of how it ended shouldn't cloud over how genuinely amazing it was beating Panathanaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting CP and Fiorentina.
Yeah it was a fun run, no doubt. But trophies for me every time. A league win you’ll celebrate. A 2-0 defeat to Zenit, not so much.

Looking forward to Thursday, come kick off it will be some night and i fancy us to get through.
However a word of warning, when we beat Lyon 3 nil away from home nobody saw them coming to Ibrox and beating us 3 nil.
Its far from finished.

Yeah it was a fun run, no doubt. But trophies for me every time. A league win you’ll celebrate. A 2-0 defeat to Zenit, not so much.
I totally get what you're saying. It's a shame that a European run has to come at the cost of domestic success. The tims won nothing in 2003.

Looking forward to Thursday, come kick off it will be some night and i fancy us to get through.
However a word of warning, when we beat Lyon 3 nil away from home nobody saw them coming to Ibrox and beating us 3 nil.
Its far from finished.
Only Rangers game I've ever left early. Was absolutely devastated when they went 2-0 up. We were so off it that night.

They had a point to prove yesterday but the game on Thursday will be a different scenario.

They need two goals to force ET so they’ll come out flying, if we sit back it will be us going out.

We almost need to play our own game and let them worry about us.

We 100% need a goal or two, I’ll predict a score draw.

They had a point to prove yesterday but the game on Thursday will be a different scenario.

They need two goals to force ET so they’ll come out flying, if we sit back it will be us going out.

We almost need to play our own game and let them worry about us.

We 100% need a goal or two, I’ll predict a score draw.
I'd bite the hand off you for a score draw.

The league will take care of itself thursday is as important do you think we will attract up and coming players to our team because we play livingston ,dundee, and have 75% possesion . I think they come because we play the mhanky mhob at least 4 times a season and are a force in Europe .As for Dortmund they have a point to prove but i would rather be 4 .2 up than 4.2 down .as the tie would imo be over .
Not to mention around another £3m in ticket sales and Europa money .

Yeah, could kinda be doing with the away goals still being in place.

2-0 to them and ET isnt exactly unthinkable ,its a situation I really dont want us being in.
We are great away from home in Europe , most consistent we’ve ever been , our luck at that point rules are changed :(.

Not to mention around another £3m in ticket sales and Europa money .
Both posts are spot on. See when Gers fans say they'd rather just focus on the league I do get it but it's incredibly short sighted. Europe is where the money is at. Players get themselves in the shop window by playing in these competitions.

Can see both sides scoring Thursday night.
Shitting myself and it's only Monday morning :-/
Tbh I'm not. We either have a glorious victory and proceed or if we don't we have watched an absolute top team playing out their skins to reverse it and may well be admiring the level of football. We are still in this tie even if we lose the first 3 goals. We've given ourselves a massive chance and couldn't have asked for more.

Steady on ffs :)) Nowhere near impossible for a team of their calibre to come and win at Ibrox, and it doesn't necessarily need to be by 3 clear goals.

Still plenty of work to do to get through but as I said above if we get the first goal it should be enough.
First goal for us and we can pick them off for more. Mustn't led the heads go down. Fans massive part to play.

Monchengladbach did play extremely openly, as German teams tend to do these days, even when the game was beyond them. It was suicidal stuff leaving the two centre halves to it (I've no idea what the fullbacks were doing) and Dortmund drove a coach and horses through them.

Wish I could say otherwise but I thought they were bloody impressive. They looked incredibly motivated, scudding Borussia Mönchengladbach 6-0. Most impressive was the fact that Haaland didn't even play! Reus was unplayable. I can't help but worry that we've got a different Dortmund side coming to Ibrox than the one we skelped last week. Anybody thinking this is gonna be easy is in for a rude awakening.
Monchengladbach aint no fucking rangers....bring it on and bury them again.

Any mention of Haaland's chances of making it?

He has not played in over 4 weeks, he needed minutes yesterday if he was going to play, well start anyway.

The fact they scored 6 yesterday shows they don’t need him playing to score.

He has had 3 lengthy periods of injury this season missing 14 out of their 34 games.

If he plays it will be a gamble and he is going to be rusty. Can’t see them taking the risk to be honest.

Them getting that 2nd goal changed the tie completely.
2 goal deficits are regularly turned over in Europe.

That's the way I see it.

I get the argument about not wanting extra games, but how many times do you get the chance to knock out a club like Dortmund?

It would rightly be talked about for years to come.

I just hope our players give as much fight on Sunday when the well come and try get there draw. Gio needs to get the rotation bang on

Wish I could say otherwise but I thought they were bloody impressive. They looked incredibly motivated, scudding Borussia Mönchengladbach 6-0. Most impressive was the fact that Haaland didn't even play! Reus was unplayable. I can't help but worry that we've got a different Dortmund side coming to Ibrox than the one we skelped last week. Anybody thinking this is gonna be easy is in for a rude awakening.
An honest referee and officials might help.

Gladbach should’ve scored a few before the third went in and then they downed tools. As I said in yesterdays thread, both teams will score goals on Thursday.

That's the way I see it.

I get the argument about not wanting extra games, but how many times do you get the chance to knock out a club like Dortmund?

It would rightly be talked about for years to come.
People will say they'd rather have won the league in hindsight but at the time not a single Rangers fan was saying that. We were all dreaming of European glory and the domestic trophies available didn't even enter the equation. Players got rested in the league so they could play fresh in Europe.

And yet since the inception of the Europa League, Real Betis are the only team to win the away leg by 2 or more goals and not go on to progress.
Hard to use that mind ain't it with away goals not counting now. I don't think many 2 goal defecits are turned over though, bound to see more now that away goals rule has been scrapped.

It won't be easy and it probably still could go either way.

We need to be at the top of our game again.

Ever since Dortmund scored their 2nd against us I have feared that was the big moment of the game, where Dortmund kept the game at Ibrox alive. Could not see them overturning 3 goals but two is eminently doable.

Thursday's going to be a long night. I don't care how it happens but as long as we are in Friday's draw I'll be delighted.

I don’t get this. We strive to qualify for Europe every season, and we missed it terribly when we’re unable to participate, but now we have fans hoping we get knocked out so we can compete in the League……to qualify for Europe.
Nuts

Hard to use that mind ain't it with away goals not counting now. I don't think many 2 goal defecits are turned over though, bound to see more now that away goals rule has been scrapped.
Still gutted about that being removed. Still can't understand the logic behind it as away goals added an extra level of drama to tight games in the 2nd leg.

I don’t get this. We strive to qualify for Europe every season, and we missed it terribly when we’re unable to participate, but now we have fans hoping we get knocked out so we can compete in the League……to qualify for Europe.
Nuts
Not me mate and I hope that's not how my post comes across. I *love* watching Rangers in Europe and it's something I'll never take for granted.

Still gutted about that being removed. Still can't understand the logic behind it as away goals added an extra level of drama to tight games in the 2nd leg.
I thought a couple of years ago that once UEFA realised it was costing them money they’d remove it. End of day it makes it less likely there will be surprises really as the more commercially popular Clubs will go through. I’d have it like this mind but have pens after 180 minutes if level.

I thought a couple of years ago that once UEFA realised it was costing them money they’d remove it. End of day it makes it less likely there will be surprises really as the more commercially popular Clubs will go through. I’d have it like this mind but have pens after 180 minutes if level.
Come to think of it, away goals only directly affected one match in the 2008 run (Panathanaikos. 14 years ago today funnily enough) but there's no question that it affects the mentality of the teams and the atmosphere in the stadiums

Come to think of it, away goals only directly affected one match in the 2008 run (Panathanaikos. 14 years ago today funnily enough) but there's no question that it affects the mentality of the teams and the atmosphere in the stadiums
Well with this they’d need to score 3 at least in 90 to have a chance to go through wouldn’t they, seems huge whereas 2 seems very different.

The Away goals rule was only unfair once a tie went to extra time, giving the away team in the second leg an advantage. They could have kept the rule up until that point and then extra time without it.

Well with this they’d need to score 3 at least in 90 to have a chance to go through wouldn’t they, seems huge whereas 2 seems very different.
There general concensus is that Guerrero's goal for 4-2 is going to play a part. I have to admit that I feel the same way. We could all end up being wrong and Rangers go out and win 2-0 or something.

Back