Did anyone catch the Dortmund game last night?

The Away goals rule was only unfair once a tie went to extra time, giving the away team in the second leg an advantage. They could have kept the rule up until that point and then extra time without it.
Mind the league Cup in England was the opposite, with away goals only coming into play in extra time. Always found that incredibly weird.

The Away goals rule was only unfair once a tie went to extra time, giving the away team in the second leg an advantage. They could have kept the rule up until that point and then extra time without it.
I can understand that but I would rather have it without and just pens after 180 minutes, was like that in Copa Lib for a while. Everyone has their own take on it really.

2007 (that should be enough to warn us how difficult this home tie will be)
Lyon 0 Rangers 3
Rangers 0 Lyon 3

We've given ourselves a chance but I still actually think Borusia Dortmund are favourites. We'll certainly need to score, perhaps twice.

Last edited:
Reason I want the title this season, even if we get through on Thursday which I think we will, we ain't winning the trophy imo. So I'd rather have the safety net of winning the title and the 40 million that comes with it, last thing we need is the vermin getting it.

It was unfair period.

I thought a couple of years ago that once UEFA realised it was costing them money they’d remove it. End of day it makes it less likely there will be surprises really as the more commercially popular Clubs will go through. I’d have it like this mind but have pens after 180 minutes if level.
Good point. It removes a bit of jeopardy for big 5 clubs

For me the away goal in extra time didn’t give the away team the advantage. I would rather be the home team playing an extra 30mins in front of your fans go to through than be playing the extra time away from home and having the away goal rule.

German website Kicker.de reports that Haaland is expected to be back on the pitch on Thursday.
Given he hasn't played for a month I'd be surprised if he started. If he features then someone best give him a whack to test his fitness. None of this Mr Nice Guy pish.

My major concern is the lack of squad rotation yesterday. Jack playing the full 90 mins while Kamara and Davis warmed the bench was mind boggling.
My thoughts exactly although league should be the priority though before the game you would’ve thought our squad was good enough to rest some

German website Kicker.de reports that Haaland is expected to be back on the pitch on Thursday.

Hopefully it'll be as a sub as we're ahead on the night and they are desperate.

Still feeling a little deflated after yesterday and it's influencing how I currently see Thursday. Hopefully my mood and expectation improves but it's got the feeling of a 'glorious failure', maybe even on penalties.

Anyone think we may start in a similar set-up as we ended in Dortmund with Sands added to the backline?

We are a perfect underdog European team. If Dortmund underestimated us then they won’t do it on Thursday. Every player, like last week, must compete for ninety minutes. If they do I feel we can get to that defence again. Either way it’s set up to be a big European night at Ibrox again.

Wish I could say otherwise but I thought they were bloody impressive. They looked incredibly motivated, scudding Borussia Mönchengladbach 6-0. Most impressive was the fact that Haaland didn't even play! Reus was unplayable. I can't help but worry that we've got a different Dortmund side coming to Ibrox than the one we skelped last week. Anybody thinking this is gonna be easy is in for a rude awakening.

I dont think anyone does think it will be easy given the players they have and we seen more than a few glimpses of their speed, intricate passing at speed and quality outside the box shooting! Each game has its own story to be developed during play and if we play to the standard of the first leg we should be ok so more of the same please?

Dortmund seem to have found their balls again and are cranking it up in the German press about what they're going to do to Rangers. Having watched their game on Sunday it was still defensively shaky. Monchengladbach had a few really good chances to score a combination of poor finishing hitting the woodwork and the Dortmund keeper prevented them scoring.

It will be a difficult game but if we look at their away record in the champions League they got beat at Ajax and Sporting Lisbon . They did win at Beşiktaş away 1-2 with Haaland playing. Tough game but certainly not impossible by any means .

I think it speaks volumes about their team that many of us were still nervous leading 4-1 went to 4-2 and still a brilliant game!

We know what to expect from them we need to impose our own game and hope every player plays to same standard as the first game!

It won’t be easy. It might well end up Lyon Mk.II.. However, at least we’ve given ourselves a chance.

It’s just a pity UEFA are determined to kill off all competition by giving the teams from the top 5 leagues every advantage they can think of. That performance in Dortmund should really be enough to win us the tie. If away goals still counted double they would need three unanswered goals to put us out, whereas two takes the tie to extra time

If only we hadn’t had that brain fart after going 4-1 up.

It won’t be easy. It might well end up Lyon Mk.II.. However, at least we’ve given ourselves a chance.

It’s just a pity UEFA are determined to kill off all competition by giving the teams from the top 5 leagues every advantage they can think of. That performance in Dortmund should really be enough to win us the tie. If away goals still counted double they would need three unanswered goals to put us out, whereas two takes the tie to extra time

If only we hadn’t had that brain fart after going 4-1 up.
You just can't help but feel like that costly error from Tav is gonna haunt us. I've watched the highlights about 1,000 times and it baffles me every single time when he loses the ball in the build up to the Guerrero ping. What's he thinking about? Who is he even trying to pass to there? Why he doesn't simply clear his lines, I'll never know. As you said though, 4-1 and I'd feel extremely confident but only a 2 goal advantage is nothing. Could be a blessing though as the players will know this too and can't sit back thinking they've already done the job. 4-1 could have allowed us to become complacent but 4-2 absolutely won't.

Before a ball was kicked, I thought we had a 5% chance to go through, now I think 55/60%. If we get eliminated, the vitriol on FF will be off the scale with GvB, McGregor,Tav,Barasic, Lundstand and Arfield getting roasted.
Their defence will give us chances, its up to our back 8 to stand strong.

Never watched Dortmund against Borussia, but I think if we scored four goals away we will be able to get another few against them, so think we will progress will not be easy all the same.

We are 1/3 to go through, so bookies really fancy us, which is a good sign.
Dortmund 5/2 to go through.
Let's hope the bookies are correct.

Due to arrive just after lunchtime. Soon see if Haaland has made it. Bild saying Dortmund will allow him to decide if he’s ok to travel

Last edited:
Witsel the latest Dortmund player bumping his gums in the press today .

“We have to show them respect and say they played well - but we helped them with they way we performed.

“We were not playing as we should be and we know we can - and we made it easy for Rangers on the night.

Witsel the latest Dortmund player bumping his gums in the press today .

“We have to show them respect and say they played well - but we helped them with they way we performed.

“We were not playing as we should be and we know we can - and we made it easy for Rangers on the night.
Their former players are in the media over there saying to expect an easy 0-3 away win etc

Their former players are in the media over there saying to expect an easy 0-3 away win etc
It smacks of arrogance no doubt they are capable of over turning the result . But their champions League away results last year were two losses and a tight win against Beşiktaş hardly inspiring .

The tie is far from over, they are a top class side. I think we should play the exact same way, it unsettled them, everyone performed and everything clicked.

If we attempt to sit in too much and play defensive they will pepper us and score goals. They don't even have to break us down fully, we saw their shoot from range quality.

I really don't think we'll change too much.

That’s good news.

I must admit, I’m a bit more worried than I usually am for these games - scars of Lyon etc.

However, I know we are far more a European team these days in terms of possession and composure on the ball.

Imperative we get to half time drawing or winning.

Back