Do Some Fans Expect Us To Be Challenging?

No but I expect us to be able to win three games in succession in this division

Do we really? With where we've been and what we have been through do we really expect to be challenging?

Every match we play I expect us to be challenging and going out to win, its whats called having a winning mentality!

Let's just see how the tims do in their next 2 games before we call it game over already. We might not be great just now but neither are they, they're having just a bad a month as us so far.

I expect them to beat Ross County today but it doesn't take away from the fact they're not high in confidence themselves at the moment.
They'll win today and beat us Saturday.

Do I expect Rangers to be challenging for the title?

At the end of the season probably not at this stage, but if we lose next week the season is over in a matter of weeks for the second season running.

That is completely unacceptable for this football club.
The season is hardly over, we are playing for 2nd place, winning the title would be amazing but it's not going to happen, so if you think the season is going to be over I suggest you should be on another forum

Aberdeen won four games on the bounce at least three times last season.

That's a minimum of 12 games, 36 points.

We've yet to win three in a row under Pedro Caixinha. At this rate we'll be lucky to have 20 points after the first 12 games.

So where have all the folk been that have come out the woodwork in the last 12 hours? No sign of them when we’re playing good football and getting good results, but as soon as we drop points they re-emerge to tell us all they knew we were shite all along.

It’s not a case of disagreeing. It’s actual gloating and it’s an embarrassment.

Mate , I for one am on holiday so missed th last 2 games. 4-1 against Dundee looked on paper a fantastic result. Yet all the messages I got were about the result merely papering over the cracks. Last nights messages wee all about how Pish we were. Apart from the first 20mins against Hibs, I really haven't seen much of an improvement so far.

The season is hardly over, we are playing for 2nd place, winning the title would be amazing but it's not going to happen, so if you think the season is going to be over I suggest you should be on another forum

We are not playing for second place from the start or the season, we are playing to win it and being out of the race within a matter of weeks again won't be acceptable.

What matters to me is progress, and that means staying in the cup on Tuesday and taking something from the game next Saturday to at least stay in some sort of contention.

We are not playing for second place from the start or the season, we are playing to win it and being out of the race within a matter of weeks again won't be acceptable.QUOTE]

Did you honestly think we were going to challenge? They went unbeaten for a reason and had 106 points so even if they are 15 points worse off this year you think we could match that?

I don't care about Celtic, my only concern is Rangers and there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be winning the majority of games in this league and at least giving the scum something to think about.

I don't care about Celtic, my only concern is Rangers and there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be winning the majority of games in this league and at least giving the scum something to think about.

I agree and dont understand this mentality that we shouldn't be challenging. Whats the point then if we arent going out to win every game we play!

So your now saying winning majority of games rather than winning the league?

I agree and dont understand this mentality that we shouldn't be challenging. Whats the point then if we arent going out to win every game we play!
There is a difference from going out to win every game than actually winning them, currently we are nowhere near good enough to win every game. Some fans need to get it into there heads that we are playing for 2nd and playing to close the game on the tims this year. That was the main objective at the start and possibly get a cup in the bag

There is a difference from going out to win every game than actually winning them, currently we are nowhere near good enough to win every game. Some fans need to get it into there heads that we are playing for 2nd and playing to close the game on the tims this year. That was the main objective at the start and possibly get a cup in the bag

Everytime we walk on to a pitch we should be fighting to win every game or for me they are short changing the fans if they dont have the mentality to think and try to do that.

Saying we are "playing for 2nd" is already accepting defeat for me..

So your now saying winning majority of games rather than winning the league?

I said I want clear progress and to put in some sort of sustained title challenge at least.

If we don't win it this season it's not a surprise but I don't expect Rangers to be out of contention by the end of September.

Everytime we walk on to a pitch we should be fighting to win every game or for me they are short changing the fans if they dont have the mentality to think and try to do that.

Saying we are "playing for 2nd" is already accepting defeat for me..
Mate it's being realistic, not accepting defeat

Their squad depth is a major difference. Said on the radio there they've made 5 changes from PSG

A few weeks back they had their reserves out and pumped killie 5-0. They have the fear factor but they are playing with confidence and that's something we need to stop next week.

I said I want clear progress and to put in some sort of sustained title challenge at least.

If we don't win it this season it's not a surprise but I don't expect Rangers to be out of contention by the end of September.
We are midway through September so that blows your post out the water right away. As I've said on other posts we win next week and we are 2 behind them

One thing I've noticed since we got back in the SPL, what fans say they expect and what they actually expect are not the same thing.

They say they don't expect us to challenge them, but reactions to results showed even last season, plenty of those same folks blatantly did expect us to challenge

I want us to challenge and will be disappointed when we drop points, but I support Rangers and part of that is wanting to win every game and challenge!

However, in saying that, I understand we are where we are. We look better this year so far I'd say middle to front. Need some work defensively!

Yes. I expect us to challenge after spending millions on international calibre footballers.

The result should be a well drilled outfit that can win without playing well.

At the moment teams are kicking us and hanging in knowing they will be gifted open chances

We should agree to differ then as for me its accepting defeat..
It's not accepting defeat to them as I think we can win next week but over the course of a season I just don't think we have a strong enough squad to challenge this season. I.e injuries, suspensions

We are midway through September so that blows your post out the water right away. As I've said on other posts we win next week and we are 2 behind them

Do you have trouble reading?

Look at my post you quoted. It says IF we lose next week the season will be over (in terms of the league) by the end of September.

If we win of course it changes things and would hopefully kick-start our season and start us on the run of victories that should be readily achievable in this league.

This is our strongest squad since 2012, and I'd expected us to be challenging.

It's not over yet. It needs us to get a run going and other teams not just to go all out against us, but put it intae the mhanky soapdodgers tae.

Their squad depth is a major difference. Said on the radio there they've made 5 changes from PSG

A few weeks back they had their reserves out and pumped killie 5-0. They have the fear factor but they are playing with confidence and that's something we need to stop next week.

their depth has little impact on the situation, its the quality they have that we dont

their depth has little impact on the situation, its the quality they have that we dont

I think the mhedia have a huge influence on their players confidence levels as the mhedia are always writing about how great they are and how they are "superstars" but our players are all crap according to the mhedia up here!

Challenging? FFS we have had an easy, on paper start to the league. We should be there or thereabouts at the moment. Still to play Dolly and Timmy 4 times each and on current form then no. I'm really NOT buying the ' but look what happened to us' pish anymore. We had a substantial financial outlay on players and the manager along with his pals. So basically yes, we should be challenging at the moment.

Didn't expect us to be 4th/5th going into the first Old Firm fixture and out of Europe in round 1, that's for sure.

So would it be realistic to be 8 points behind at the end of September if say a team with less resources is still within three points of them or equal with them?
The team you are on about has currently been together for about 5 years give or take a few ins and outs.

I at least expect us to be challenging Aberdeen for second place. While I think we will come good and finish a 'good' second, currently that doesn't appear to be happening.

We are 6 games in and a defeat next week finishes our challenge for the league. With the squad we have we should be expecting to beat most teams at home and should also manage to beat the likes of Patrick away. The manager has spent a bit of money in the summer but the results so far are the same as last year.

This forum is influenced almost completely by the most recent result. We beat bottom of the league and all of a sudden the tims are shitting it pedro is the man we are going to win the lot. Drop points and its Pedro out time again .

The truth of it all lies somewhere in the middle. We are improved under Pedro and the squad is better. We are still nowhere near challenging. Second place should be the aim and to get within 12 points of the scum.

Shhhh too much sense here

Our start is on par with St. Johnstone and a promoted side.

It's 5 worse than Aberdeen and the bheggars. 6 games in and Aberdeen have managed to stay in the challenge with the bheggars.

7 in and 11 out is a bit of a difference compared to us don't you think

Yup clearly they have slightly more chance of cohesiveness however on the flip side their most expensive signing was £90k.... whilst losing two of their best players. We have probably spen more on player accommodations and flights than they've spent on players.

I have never been an advocate of quick change however this is the first time I firmly believe that a quick cut and run has to be put into action. Pedro's win ratio last season and now with his "own" team suggest a more likely fight for third than a breeze to second.

We shouldn't be going into the September weekend knowing a likely defeat ends our challenge for this season with the resources we have available.

Another season battling with the sheep for second place is unacceptable after the money spent in the summer.

We shouldn't be going into the September weekend knowing a likely defeat ends our challenge for this season with the resources we have available.

Another season battling with the sheep for second place is unacceptable after the money spent in the summer.

That probably won't be a battle either.

I expect us to be comfortably second at the very least by the end of the season. Whether or not we challenge for the title depends on Celtic's form and if there's significant investment (again) in January. As it stands, we're about where we'd expect to be with the money spent on assembling our squad so far.

I expect us to be comfortably second at the very least by the end of the season. Whether or not we challenge for the title depends on Celtic's form and if there's significant investment (again) in January. As it stands, we're about where we'd expect to be with the money spent on assembling our squad so far.

As it stands We're about where we expect to be having spent more than every team combined outwith celtc? Which is 4th with the results as they are.

Millions spent to be 4th or 5th in the SPL depending on todays results, likely to be worse next week?

Everyone else bar the tims spend peanuts and we've had an easy start!

Another issue is that teams turn up against Celtic and are defeated before a ball is kicked. Against us, teams treat it like a cup final.

We're only five games into a 38 game season. We've signed 10 or so new players and we were left with a squad that was probably lucky to finish 3rd. Almost half of the players we used most last season came from the English or Scottish lower leagues. It's not going to be an overnight fix and people getting upset at a 'new' squad (which still has a lot of the aforementioned lower league signings) not producing the expected results after 5-10 games aren't helping the situation.

Back