German National Team ends 70 year partnership with Adidas

Snap! You and me both, TR. My mum and dad upgraded to a rented color TV for the tournament - we had half the neighborhood in watching the games. I had a generic blue top, white shorts and red socks and ran about pretending to be Yugoslavia that summer.
You’re not going to believe this but so did we. DER ( not German) special.

You’d think Germany would have a bit of national pride and stick with adidas and not the sweatshop kings Nike

The deal totally blew adidas' out of the water, it would be impossible to turn down. Talk of it being five times as much.

The difficult part is that adidas wasn't just a kit supplier for the national team, but more of an official partner that was involved in all aspects of the ***. They always made a point of prioritizing the national team.

Nike has always been obsessed with trying to snare the national team — it's been mentioned consistently for years. They even used to make an aggressive point of targeting endorsement deals with German players just so they'd have some kind of vis.

As mentioned in the thread, Lyle and Scott for the Scotland strip.
Le Coq Sportif for the French kit and so on.
Nike must be paying the German FA crazy money.

West-Germany-1990.png

One of the best World Cup kits of all time.
I've got a dhgate knock off.

No
Puma shirts are shite compared to Adidas but personally prefer their footwear to Adidas.

Not so sure about the quality of Puma footwear, my son has had 2 pairs of Puma football boots in the last 2 years and with both of them the sole has come away from the upper, one fairly quickly, the other admittedly after plenty of training sessions and games.

Never had the same problem with Adidas or Nike.

No

Not so sure about the quality of Puma footwear, my son has had 2 pairs of Puma football boots in the last 2 years and with both of them the sole has come away from the upper, one fairly quickly, the other admittedly after plenty of training sessions and games.

Never had the same problem with Adidas or Nike.
Talking mainly about trainers etc. Days of me wearing football boots are Long gone!!!

That's a big loss for them. Adidas really falling away and Nike so far ahead of them in general now. I say that as someone who collected Adidas trainers and clothing.

The deal totally blew adidas' out of the water, it would be impossible to turn down. Talk of it being five times as much.

The difficult part is that adidas wasn't just a kit supplier for the national team, but more of an official partner that was involved in all aspects of the ***. They always made a point of prioritizing the national team.

Nike has always been obsessed with trying to snare the national team — it's been mentioned consistently for years. They even used to make an aggressive point of targeting endorsement deals with German players just so they'd have some kind of vis.
BBC have reports in the German press saying they’ve doubled their money, €100m per year from Nike with the Adidas deal only being worth €50m.

I was sure it was actually Umbro who did their kit at the 1966 World Cup?
I remember reading Umbro did all the teams kits apart from North Korea.

Classic top 100%. Strangely, I actually had a preference for the USA 94 evolution:

574db5_55986ead7faf434198822460ff7afb13~mv2.png
Hopefully before they go Adidas will rerelease all the old classic tops, they’ve recently rereleased the Euro 96 tops.

Good piece in the athletic about the deal, turns out all 3 parties are surprised by the outcome, Nike just took a punt and didn’t expect to get the deal, Adidas didn’t expect to have any competition and the German football federation didn’t expect a big deal due to how poorly the team has done over the past few years.

Back