Gerrard linked with move for Tavernier and Goldson

I don't believe it, especially from them. However, if it were to be true and the money was good enough it wouldn't be a problem.

Pay zero attention to the Saudi League but wonder what the players living, family, freedom to travel arrangements etc are?

Apart from the money I don't see the attractions of living in that country long term.

Pay zero attention to the Saudi League but wonder what the players living, family, freedom to travel arrangements etc are?

Apart from the money I don't see the attractions of living in that country long term.
Most of the families won’t live in Saudi itself, a number live in Bahrain for example as it’s seen as more progressive

There's been rumours of Tav for a while this season. The Glasgow rumour is that he's already told the school where his kids are at that they won't be rejoining next season. For whatever reason.

Retaining Lunny makes more sense because losing all three in a season could have a pretty big impact.

“Launched a move”
“Double Swoop”
“Closely monitoring”

It clearly doesn’t take much to be a journalist.
I’m pretty sure they use a template or AI.

“Write me an article in the style of a daily record football exclusive”

Once AI becomes self aware it will return, The daily record don’t get exclusives.

There's been rumours of Tav for a while this season. The Glasgow rumour is that he's already told the school where his kids are at that they won't be rejoining next season. For whatever reason.

Retaining Lunny makes more sense because losing all three in a season could have a pretty big impact.
I’d rather keep Tav one more season and get rid of the other two gladly.

But if he wants to go as is rumoured, then we leave with great memories and thanks.

At some point we have to move on. The hardest to replace goals wise.

Goldson and Lundstram wouldnt be a loss for us in their current form. We could get so much better with proper scouting.

With the kind of money the Arabs throw about Gerrard could probably attract just about anyone to that place, but he’s shopping in the SPFL?

We aren’t holding out for £10m given Tavernier given turns 33 this year. Half that would do it.

If you read the reasoning in terms of what we'd need to then spend money on, it's not that I expect us to hold out for £10m, more that a smaller offer isn't really worth cashing in as it'd result I'm us having to spend a lot to replace him. A lot of people think just move Sterling there but they don't take into account that we'd then need to replace the depth Sterling gives us elsewhere and we'd need a back up right back too.

Abd that's before you consider if it makes the team stronger or weaker.

£10m is too much, on paper, but in terms of what we already need to do this summer and in terms of what having Tavernier brings us, it's going to need to be a crazy offer to make it worthwhile.

We probably would sell for £5m, especially knowing us.

Celtic would manage to get a far bigger figure but we don't seem to be able to get a team to overpay.

Steven Gerrard has launched a move to team up with Rangers skipper James Tavernier in next season’s Saudi Pro League.

And the former Ibrox boss is also believed to be closely monitoring the situation of Connor Goldson as he mulls over a potential double swoop on his old club this summer. Record Sport revealed speculation linking Tavernier with his former boss - which stretches back almost 12 months to Gerrard’s shock appointment at Al-Ettifaq - has been building again in recent weeks.

On Wednesday multiple outlets across the Persian Gulf state began reporting that a deal for the 32-year-old could be thrashed out after Scotland’s domestic campaign reaches a thrilling climax when the Old Firm go head-to-head at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final on May 25. While Goldson’s name was not mentioned in those initial reports, it’s understood Gerrard is keen on being reunited with the man he lured north from Brighton six years ago to form a title winning partnership with Tavernier on the right hand side of his Rangers back four
Appreciate you posting but seen the words ‘record sport’ highlighted and stopped reading.

This would be an unbelievable opportunity. To get any kind of money for them for Clement to use to help move us on to a new era would be an amazing piece of business.

It'll be pure pish though and both will still be here in August.

If you read the reasoning in terms of what we'd need to then spend money on, it's not that I expect us to hold out for £10m, more that a smaller offer isn't really worth cashing in as it'd result I'm us having to spend a lot to replace him. A lot of people think just move Sterling there but they don't take into account that we'd then need to replace the depth Sterling gives us elsewhere and we'd need a back up right back too.

Abd that's before you consider if it makes the team stronger or weaker.

£10m is too much, on paper, but in terms of what we already need to do this summer and in terms of what having Tavernier brings us, it's going to need to be a crazy offer to make it worthwhile.

That's not how the transfer model we've been harping on about for years works. Koppen will already have a list of potential right back replacements drawn up. Circa £5 million plus taking back the wages of the club's highest earner gives him decent room to manoeuvre.

That's not how the transfer model we've been harping on about for years works. Koppen will already have a list of potential right back replacements drawn up. Circa £5 million plus taking back the wages of the club's highest earner gives him decent room to manoeuvre.

That's fair enough mate and if we got a comparable right back for the same value then by all means do it. That would certainly be better than moving Sterling there as it creates the issues I spoke about. You lose him as a back up right back and as depth elsewhere if he becomes first choice and that Tav money then gets spread thinly.

the wages of

Mclaughlin
Barisic
Goldson
Tavernier
Davies
Lundstram
Jack
Raskin
Dowell
Hagi
Cifuentes
Lammers
Wright
Roofe
Silva

must add upto not far off 300 to 350 thousand a week.
Sima and Cortes wages could also be added. We should have a bit more room this summer than maybe expected.
Our wage bill is ridiculous, really hamstrings us financially. It steadily increased year on year and is now so inflated our wage bill is actually higher than the Mhanks.

£64mil a year total last year, although that is all staff costs, directors, bonuses etc.

We are ~£50m a year just on the first team squad before any bonuses are even paid which is still too high.

We need to trim the squad, put a hard salary cal in place and stop dishing out ridiculous bonuses.

A modest 15% reduction is overall staff costs opens up almost £10m a year in our finances.

Steven Gerrard has launched a move to team up with Rangers skipper James Tavernier in next season’s Saudi Pro League.

And the former Ibrox boss is also believed to be closely monitoring the situation of Connor Goldson as he mulls over a potential double swoop on his old club this summer. Record Sport revealed speculation linking Tavernier with his former boss - which stretches back almost 12 months to Gerrard’s shock appointment at Al-Ettifaq - has been building again in recent weeks.

On Wednesday multiple outlets across the Persian Gulf state began reporting that a deal for the 32-year-old could be thrashed out after Scotland’s domestic campaign reaches a thrilling climax when the Old Firm go head-to-head at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final on May 25. While Goldson’s name was not mentioned in those initial reports, it’s understood Gerrard is keen on being reunited with the man he lured north from Brighton six years ago to form a title winning partnership with Tavernier on the right hand side of his Rangers back four
Once they are gone that's when all the clueless bams will realise what we had.

That's fair enough mate and if we got a comparable right back for the same value then by all means do it. That would certainly be better than moving Sterling there as it creates the issues I spoke about. You lose him as a back up right back and as depth elsewhere if he becomes first choice and that Tav money then gets spread thinly.

Yeah, he certainly won't be easy to replace but it would be too good an opportunity to pass up.

If we do win a treble this year it’ll be a good way to end things. With Tav in the hall of fame, it kinda feels like it would be a shame if he didn’t retire with us. But he seems that sort that won’t quit while he’s ahead so he’s a decline soon based on age alone. May as well go sooner rather than later for our sake, not his.

And I’m starting to get onboard with the feeling that Goldson needs to move on now too.

Not going to get ridiculous money but should get a decent amount towards a rebuild and it might be for the best for them to go now as good as they have been.

I read somewhere that some of the wealthier players live on Bahrain

Wouldn’t exactly be devastated if it transpired, but JTs goals will be a major loss.

Both would suit it tbh. Tav would still be athletic enough to get forward and would probably be pretty productive. He’ll always give 100%. Goldson is at his best when he has time to play the Hollywood pass and what I’ve seen of the league doesn’t have a huge amount of closing down.

A pretty good impact id say

We need the losers rinsed or we face years of a Man U esque situation

Tavs very unusual numbers for a right back will be a miss (hypothetically should he leave) but that’s where we need to solidly invest in a strong attack that should do it for us.

If the money is too good then absolutely I’d sell.

With regards to Goldson and Lundstram, it has been far too often they have let us down in big moments in big games for many a season now that it may be time to part ways. Tavs numbers remove him from that criteria imo.

If ever you needed evidence of how rife recency bias is among our support it’s this thread/ Twitter reaction.

Two of our best performers every single year and folk are chasing them out the door.

Even at 32, Tav is still the best right back in the league by a distance.

Admittedly his form has been poor of late but our defence has almost always been a basket case without Goldson in the team. If you disagree then go and compare win %’s with him in the team vs without.

This is a type of article that's been written up by some no mark journalist who has an eye on the forums and creates something to raise the hopes of the fan base for the purpose of getting the clicks.

You expect this stuff from the most deranged fan based web based articles but to come from the Daily Record is just laughable :))

Back