Greg Docherty

Neither are a “fair bit ahead” of McCrorie.

Rossiter has played 1 game were he played ok but we still lost 5 goals yet many have him starting games ahead of Jack, McCrorie and Docherty.

That is just mental, with how the lads fitness has been.

We have Arfield there now also and then we still have to decide on what to do with Halliday, Holt and Dorrans.
Possible we will sign a couple of more midfielders also.

I am confident Docherty will be a good player for us but it is now up to the manager to find a cohesive midfield which helps the defence and generates attacks for our forwards.

He certainly won't be a regular starter this season, unless he improves on last season's form dramatically.

However, time is on his side and I still think he could develop into a top midfielder and prove to be a good signing.
I could see him being successful in a Brown type role. Limited passing and breaking up play.

Rossiter has to prove his fitness before anything else.
His talent has never been in doubt.

Since the cause caused of the problem instead of the symptoms have been addressed I believe he has been fine and played a fair bit for the development squad. Confident with a good preseason he will push on and show us why he was signed.

He's a young lad, hardly in the door, and some already write him off.:(

Predictable shite but no surprise.

NS.
It's a great example of why the lust for the 'buy, develop and sell' model is just total bluster.

Nobody has any patience for the development part.

The stuff about Gerrard contacting him is 100% true, I think the fact he took the time to do that shows how much of a part he'll play next season.

Holt?
You cannot be serious!

In my opinion, Docherty will shine under the new manager. He and the other midfielders were thrown to the wolves under Murty.

For my money the player under most threat in that area is Candieas. There's no way we'll operate with two wingers next season,unless we go with three at the back which is unlikely.

I never said I'd be picking Holt Alex, I just said he'd be competing for a spot.

I think Docherty has the potential to be a good signing for us, but his abysmal performance against the mentally challengeds is still in my memory and he has to step up.

Formation wise I'd reckon Gerrard will go Liverpool style 4-3-3, with 3 front players interchanging and 3 narrow midfielders with the full backs bombing on.

Candeias will certainly be under pressure and it's a formation that may suit Windass.

Time will tell I guess.

I think he needs more time to settle, been overwhelmed by it all. Gerrard should be good for his development. He would run through walls for a manager like Gerrard, I’m hoping they all do! How can you not!

I could see him being successful in a Brown type role. Limited passing and breaking up play.

I think he'll be behind McCrorie and Jack for that position as things stand mate.

Possibly competing for a more central advanced role with Rossiter and a few others?

Having Gerrard and Mcallister coaching him can only help, started well after signing but showed a lack of quality on the ball in a few games

The latest young Scottish player that FF can’t wait to absolutely tear apart.

He was playing well alongside Goss until Murty started tinkering about for absolutely no reason at all.

That's my assessment of him, too. He's wasted as a defensive mid.

Never a DM in a million years mate.

His biggest asset is his athleticism and ability to get around the park.

As another poster said, Jordan Henderson style, although obviously nowhere near that level yet.

There was a rumour going around that SG has personally contacted him to tell him he is an admirer and will play a big part under him
Hello Greg ;)

I like the energy of the lad he looks after himself which will please Gerrard hopefully he can make him a better player, oh another thing he is one of us how delighted was he when he signed hope he makes it.

A slight concern of mine is that when you compare him to the younger players at Celtic he's nowhere near as good. Even guys like Christie who couldn't get in the Celtic squad are better than him.

Lets give the young lad some time here. He came into a shit storm, did OK initially and then performance dipped and he found himself on the bench. Im sure working under Gerrard and Gary Mac can only help him. Defo a great wee player in there.

I cannot believe some of the comments on here.

He was signed from Hamilton, a wee club from the outskirts of Glasgow, where crowds rarely exceed 3,000 and expectations are survival.
He is expected to shine in front of 50,000 fans playing in a team with no confidence, no leadership and off field nonsense headlines being the norm.

Positives

The guy has an engine
Capability and willingness to learn
Will not be expected to be the main leader on the park short term but can grow into this role
Potential to play in his strongest position and it's not DM

Lets give him a chance

A slight concern of mine is that when you compare him to the younger players at Celtic he's nowhere near as good. Even guys like Christie who couldn't get in the Celtic squad are better than him.
You should be comparing Docherty for Hamilton rather than basing any comparison on Murty's misuse of him for us.

Hopefully with the arrival of Stevie G we will now see the best of Docherty? Showed glimpses of what he's capable of last season before tailing off a bit, genuinely think he will really kick on this season though and hopefully be that Gerrard type in our midfield?

I've always thought of Docherty more in the mould of, obviously nowhere near ability, a Milner type midfielder.

Physically strong, and technically sound on the ball without being spectacular.

That's bollocks mate. Did you see Christie vs Mexico or in any game against us last season? He was absolutely dire. Aberdeen is his level, semi decent and looks great against the dross but put him in a pressure game and his bottle crashes. Allan has admittedly played well against us on occasion but he isn't a central midfielder and is invisible in as many games as he's effective so hardly comparable. Henderson will end up at Partick or somewhere and kuasi or whatever he's called has been horrendous for the 3m or whatever they paid for him and barely kicked a ball. Take brown, rogic, n'tcham, Armstrong aside and they have zero quality pushing for a place in that department (mcgregor has been playing wide in formation they play).

Docherty absolutely bossed mcginn and mcgeough (many on here want us to sign both) on more than one occasion for hamilton and destroyed us at Ibrox. He has the quality, it just needs brought back out. Having the right players beside him in a 3 instead of a 2 will help him massively too.

I predict Docherty will be a great wee player for us this season

He shat out of a challenge in an OF game. It was shitebaggery of the first degree. I knew nothing of the boy but given reports on here he was a muscle man and a hardy cnut. And he shat it from Scott phuckin Brown.

Fans need to give this kid a break. Murty was such an idiot as a manager he left our midfield exposed in almost every big match.
I think Gerrard will like this kid and try and nurture the boy and he certainly wont be exposed with not enough numbers in midfield.
Its a huge season for Docherty, Rossiter and McCrorie and all three need to step up to what Gerrad wants and it will be interesting to see if they can achieve this.

Never a DM in a million years mate.

His biggest asset is his athleticism and ability to get around the park.

As another poster said, Jordan Henderson style, although obviously nowhere near that level yet.
Henderson is a good example in more ways than one.

There was a time when he was a young midfielder that fans had completely written off, Liverpool accepted a bid from Fulham and told him he could leave.

He decided to stay, got his head down and the rest is history.

Best thing about Docherty is his brain.

He’s clever, he’ll learn, you just need to hear him speak to see he’ll soak everything from Gerrard up like a sponge.

That’s if the FF aficionados give him time, of course.

He’s a very good young player who is only going to get better people writing him off because he tailed off a bit under the tutelage of Mr Murty need to get a life

That's bollocks mate. Did you see Christie vs Mexico or in any game against us last season? He was absolutely dire. Aberdeen is his level, semi decent and looks great against the dross but put him in a pressure game and his bottle crashes. Allan has admittedly played well against us on occasion but he isn't a central midfielder and is invisible in as many games as he's effective so hardly comparable. Henderson will end up at Partick or somewhere and kuasi or whatever he's called has been horrendous for the 3m or whatever they paid for him and barely kicked a ball. Take brown, rogic, n'tcham, Armstrong aside and they have zero quality pushing for a place in that department (mcgregor has been playing wide in formation they play).

Docherty absolutely bossed mcginn and mcgeough (many on here want us to sign both) on more than one occasion for hamilton and destroyed us at Ibrox. He has the quality, it just needs brought back out. Having the right players beside him in a 3 instead of a 2 will help him massively too.

I certainly didn't see Docherty vs Mexico...

I think Christie's a wee prick but at this moment in time I have no doubts that he's a better player than Docherty.

We have a talent in Scotland of giving up on our best youngsters too soon (see john fleck) lets give this lad a bit of time, he has the physical traits for sure hopefully Stevie can improve his technical game
fleck he had a bad attitude and wasnt very good

There was a rumour going around that SG has personally contacted him to tell him he is an admirer and will play a big part under him
That phone call alone will give him a huge boost to his confidence and I think Stevie will manage him better than Murty did,who sometimes gave him two or three roles rather than giving him one specific role and had him running all over the place that and and an eagerness to impress and clearly was trying too hard in games. I think Stevie will rally him as with all the young guys,and may have a specific role in mind.

I don't think we can cast proper judgement on him or anybody else from Murty's time in charge. It was an absolute shambles.

He has a clean slate now under Gerrard so lets get behind the young man and see how he gets on.

fleck he had a bad attitude and wasnt very good
he was a teenager who recieved dogs abuse when having a bad game, hes playing brilliant down south just now if he was given more time / patience that could have happened with us at a much earlier age

I certainly didn't see Docherty vs Mexico...

I think Christie's a wee prick but at this moment in time I have no doubts that he's a better player than Docherty.

So you ignored what I actually wrote and based your reply on the fact Christie was getting a game for scotland and docherty wasn't as an argument in favour of him being the better player? Hmmm, ok. You clearly know best so I will leave it there.

Thinking about it, because that's actually a great guage of players abilities, we better hope they don't try and steal alves from us. He's better than every one of their defenders combined. Hope we can hold onto him.

Suggested on Rocksport Radio yesterday that Docherty was kept out of the last few games of the season as he's high on Gerrard's agenda for this season. Didn't want to taint him.

Hugh Burns reckons Rossiter is ahead on the pecking order.

I reckon he'll dovetail well with Jack / Arfield.

He shat out of a challenge in an OF game. It was shitebaggery of the first degree. I knew nothing of the boy but given reports on here he was a muscle man and a hardy cnut. And he shat it from Scott phuckin Brown.

Utter bollocks mate.

Utter bollocks mate.

I thought that he actually tried to nick the ball before Brown could get a foot in, but was just a bit unlucky.
That is my memory of it anyway.
Contrary to other posters slating his performance in that game, I thought Morelos and Docherty were the only two players to get pass marks. It was then interesting to see that Murty dropped both of them in the next game, for some strange reason, and again left them out at Parkhead after the split.

What I've seen of him I've not been overly impressed but he is still young. Hopefully can learn to be a wee bit more composed when in possession.

Do I think he will be a starter next season, No

The ball was 60/40 in his favour. Refer to the match thread where loads of posters agree with my view that he shat it.

The match thread on here every week is straight from "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' mate!

I actually don't think he shat it.
It was slightly in his favour and he tried to nick it, although I can see why some thought he did shite it.

Anyway it didn't look good and pretty much summed up his day.

We've all got our opinions, but that is quite ridiculous.

He's a part of Gerrard's plans. The midfield will need to play with energy and dynamism and that's what Docherty brings in abundance, he's the best athlete at the club. He still has a lot of rough edges but Gerrard likes him.

If you look at Liverpool's midfield three currently, they are all players with engines and the ability to get about the park quickly whether that's closing people down or us breaking quickly in the transition.

Docherty is like an Aldi version of Milner or The OX.

He's box to box but Murty somehow thought he was a deep lying playmaker.

Docherty has floundered since he came to us, but tbh any midfielder playing beside a completely shot Dorrans would flounder.

Back