Greg Docherty

The match thread on here every week is straight from "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' mate!

I actually don't think he shat it.
It was slightly in his favour and he tried to nick it, although I can see why some thought he did shite it.

Anyway it didn't look good and pretty much summed up his day.

I know that. I just did not want anyone thinking I was the only one saying he bottled it. I desperately want the boy to succeed. I phuckin love it when local boys do well.

Everyone's got a clean slate so hopefully he'll go on and be the midfield monster Iv been dreaming off. That plus half a stone of muscle on big McCrories shoulders and batter phuck out them Rangers.

I think he'll be behind McCrorie and Jack for that position as things stand mate.

Possibly competing for a more central advanced role with Rossiter and a few others?
For now he’s behind both yeah. If Rossiter is fit he plays I’d think. Also signing Ejaria if that happens makes it harder for Docherty too.

The match thread on here every week is straight from "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' mate!

I actually don't think he shat it.
It was slightly in his favour and he tried to nick it, although I can see why some thought he did shite it.

Anyway it didn't look good and pretty much summed up his day.

Agree with you about him trying to nick the ball, before Brown made the tackle. I posted similar on a previous post, and genuinely think that is what happened.

I have faith in Greg Docherty. He's a natural athlete, he'll be one of the fittest guys in the team, if we can get him playing football like he was at Hamilton he could be a box to box midfielder for us.

Got to remember he's 21 years old, just signed for his boyhood heroes, comes with a lot of pressure. Let him settle in and give him all the time he needs to make his mark.

Docherty was playing in a set position with Hamilton, in a team that was settled and had a distinct style of play. Everyone knew their jobs in that team. He was their best player in most games.

With Rangers, after a decent start, he looked lost and seemed to be unaware what his job and positioning should be.

I have no doubt he can be successful for us in a Rangers team that is well organised and utilises his strengths.

If Stevie and his team can get the best out of him i think he can be a great player for us and we need to remember he is still young at 21.

Dont understand all "the boy" and "the young lad" comments. 21 is plenty old enough if good enough. Sympathy votes wont win us anything and Doc needs to grow up very quickly as many others have done before him, or he'll be cast aside.

Having said that the ludicrous hype which surrounded his arrival on this and other forums have undoubtedly built expectations to unrealistic levels and I assume heaped untold pressure on the player, who was then thrown into a very average side and basically told to get on with it. I actually read comments on forums that he would take us to 55 FFS.

Hopefully SG will give him every encouragement and every opportunity to prove his doubters wrong. If so it will be up to THE MAN to prove he is good enough.

I think he might struggle to find his games - i am still of the hope we invest in a proper game winner in midfield - if we do it is looking like his place is on the bench.
He doesn’t have to be brilliant today, so long as he continues to improve.
A lot of what we bought for was for tomorrow.
Hopefully we now have the management team who can coach and develop him.
I really hope we don’t start to see the “he’s never Rangers class, he’s a Hamilton Accies level player” comments.

I really hope we don’t start to see the “he’s never Rangers class, he’s a Hamilton Accies level player” comments.
You're a bit late tazza they've already appeared.

It' funny how not a lot of folk have mentioned Halliday since we started mentioning all the midfielders.. looks certain to have played his last game for us

Last edited:
I never want to see Halliday and Holt play for Rangers again.

I expect Docherty, Jack and Candeias to be around the 18 next year and filling in when we pick up injuries.

Every player has a point to prove this summer!

Nobody will be a “main player” based on last season’s performances and very few will be sent packing based on last season’s performances (apart from the ones who’ve shat in the nest and who’s contract is up).

Whether you had a good season last season (Candeias) or whether you toiled with form (Morelos) or whether you failed to reach expectations (Dorrans and Docherty to an extent)..... this will account for very little imo.

He looks to me like he could be suited to playing wide right,rather than centrally.

Agreed, think the best system for Docherty is a 4-4-2 narrow diamond, Docherty and arfield the wide midfielders with a holding (Jack / McCrorie / Rossiter) and attacking midfielders (Windass / Dorrans), with the Full backs supplying width at the correct time.
Docherty can then use his best attributes power, pace.

In a midfield three (which I prefer), he's not got the understanding to play the holding role, so he would have to play the attacking midfield role or the link role between defending / attacking but he has to improve his passing.

If we had a Davis in the midfield 3 holding it together, then Docherty, McCrorie, Rossiter etc are more than good enough for us to have a half decent midfield

He sort of does have to be brilliant this season or he shouldnt be getting his game

600k project players from Hamiltom at 21....im thinking not.

As per previous posts above - I believe he has talent but looked lost on occasions late last season
I believe that has a lot to do with the settled duties and role he performed at accies - but were regrettably replaced by the tactically inept and un-organised shambles we became late last campaign
The trouble now is our management team need to restore his confidence and play him where he can contribute the most according to his strengths
That might not be easy depending on new arrivals, formations, tactics & systems we adopt

Our midfield were outnumbered in every game we played so I reserve judgement on him, he did give the ball away a lot and defo needs some coaching but has the physical attributes of a modern player.
Hope he succeeds.

Arfield, Jack, Rossiter and Dorrans (when fully fit) would be my first choice midfielders but I expect us to strengthen further in this area.

McCrorie, Barjonas and Docherty are ones for the future, I think McCrorie needs to build his fitness and confidence up before being considered as a midfield starter again.

Halliday, Holt and Pena I'd sell.

Expectations of young doc were far too high imo.
he had a couple of good games then fell away and unless he improves all aspects of his technical game he will never be near a title winning team simply because at this time hes just not good enough.
Yes he is young and
He's a great athlete but he can be the fittest player in the country for all I care as we need more than that.
Good potential though so hopefully he gets the time he needs to develop.

Arfield, Jack, Rossiter and Dorrans (when fully fit) would be my first choice midfielders but I expect us to strengthen further in this area.

McCrorie, Barjonas and Docherty are ones for the future, I think McCrorie needs to build his fitness and confidence up before being considered as a midfield starter again.

Halliday, Holt and Pena I'd sell.

I'm still hoping we land a proper central midfielder. One who can put his foot on the ball, dictate, control and rise to the top when the going gets tough or when we have a battle on our hands.

He sort of does have to be brilliant this season or he shouldnt be getting his game

600k project players from Hamiltom at 21....im thinking not.
Not sure I said he should be getting a game automatically, bud.
Tell me though, outwith maybe McCrorie, who was any better than him?
Dorrans?
I'd say not and no-one.
Also, even in our current climate, I'm happy we're investing in ou future with players like Docherty.

Have to say I don't see what the fuss is about with docherty. He was mega hyped on here before we signed him. Have to be honest and say I had seen him play only a few times against us and yeah he looked OK against a shocking midfield. He was over praised in his first few performances for us in my opinion. Hopefully gerrard passes on all his knowledge and he can go from strength to strength in the coming years

There was a rumour going around that SG has personally contacted him to tell him he is an admirer and will play a big part under him

I could believe this. Young Greg is exactly the type to turn into a
Bumper. Has all the basics, obviously a listener, humble, and now
Being taught by the best he could ever hope for.
Go for it son.

Definitely keep him he’s still got time on his side,get rid off holt,Halliday and dorrans first!
Let docherty ease his way into the first team and let gerrard/McAllister improving his game on the training field

Hard to believe some of the comments on this thread, but in a way Docherty represents everything that was wrong with Rangers towards the end of the season. Played out of position, not given clear direction, not offered leadership, rapidly losing confidence. I suspect he won't be the only one who will look like a completely different player in Gerrard's team.

If anyone doubts Docherty's ability, go back to his showreel. 50 yard runs and defence-splitting passes. Scoring the winner against Dundee United in last season's play-off. Skipping past two defenders to score with angled shot from 20 yards at St Johnstone. Were these all flukes?

Docherty will come good for you. I'm certain of it.

Yep mate, there will be a few of them in that position.

What I will say though is McCrorie's performance at Pittodrie and Rossiter's at Easter Rd at the end of the season were both way superior to anything Docherty produced for us after he signed.

With Arfield, Jack, Dorrans,Holt and whoever else Gerrard signs all competing for a spot, Greg will have his work cut out making the bench until he ups his performances.
The problem with Jack is as we have seen with refs they can't wait to send him off and I can't see that changing anytime soon so he will not get a run if games to prove his worth.

Neither do I don't think I have seen anyone give the ball away as much as him.
I think that's a bit ott the boy is the type of player Gerard will like he gives his all on the field he will come good, got to remember with Murty he was basically left to control the mid field himself.

I've really liked some of what I've seen from Docherty, I think we need to take into account the fact that he's a young player, like Morelos and needs managed and mentored, and he was getting none of that from Murty as he was struggling to cope himself. There were times last season where he looked like the only player out there fighting for the team.

I may well be wrong, but I see guys like Docherty and McCrorie as being the future!

Hard to believe some of the comments on this thread, but in a way Docherty represents everything that was wrong with Rangers towards the end of the season. Played out of position, not given clear direction, not offered leadership, rapidly losing confidence. I suspect he won't be the only one who will look like a completely different player in Gerrard's team.

If anyone doubts Docherty's ability, go back to his showreel. 50 yard runs and defence-splitting passes. Scoring the winner against Dundee United in last season's play-off. Skipping past two defenders to score with angled shot from 20 yards at St Johnstone. Were these all flukes?

Thanks mate. You are bang on, we're going to see a lot of guys looking like different players next year. With a bit of confidence and belief about them and not any self doubt, which trickled down from the coach. Docherty could be one of our main men next year.

Great engine and it's fantastic he is a bear.

But with 100 odd first team games under his belt he should be able to pass a ball.

He'll be useful off the bench but that is it. He isn't the future captain many were talking about 6 months ago.

absolutely agree with this. I thought he looked very good in his first couple of games. As the wheels came off the season, it's not hard to see why he became less effective and started to look very ordinary. Very harsh for anyone to blame him based on the last couple of months of the season.

Back