Greg Docherty

I think he might struggle to find his games - i am still of the hope we invest in a proper game winner in midfield - if we do it is looking like his place is on the bench.

I think he might struggle to find his games - i am still of the hope we invest in a proper game winner in midfield - if we do it is looking like his place is on the bench.

I agree but with our luck with injuries and suspensions, he should get quite a few chances to work his way into the team if he is good enough over the next few years.

He certainly won't be a regular starter this season, unless he improves on last season's form dramatically.

However, time is on his side and I still think he could develop into a top midfielder and prove to be a good signing.

There was a rumour going around that SG has personally contacted him to tell him he is an admirer and will play a big part under him

He certainly won't be a regular starter this season, unless he improves on last season's form dramatically.

However, time is on his side and I still think he could develop into a top midfielder and prove to be a good signing.
Exactly. He's got the best possible mentor in Stevie as well

That's fine...
He won't be the only one.
McCrorie will be another beside him.
Nothing wrong with having a couple of decent players with potential on the periphery looking to get in and make their mark.

Yeah McCrorie is another one. We definietly need to add a ball winning midfielder, somebody with the heart of a lion, just thinking we already have one in our rank's already. Just need Stevie to get the best out of him

Will be honest, so far he’s looked very much like a Hamilton player

I know a lot have said he’s been playing alongside shite so shouldn’t be judged yet. But the same people claiming that will be the same people shouting that Cardoso, Dorrans etc are mince

Can’t have it both ways

FWIW, I’d be slightly concerned if he was a starter for us next year

That's fine...
He won't be the only one.
McCrorie will be another beside him.
Nothing wrong with having a couple of decent players with potential on the periphery looking to get in and make their mark.

Yep mate, there will be a few of them in that position.

What I will say though is McCrorie's performance at Pittodrie and Rossiter's at Easter Rd at the end of the season were both way superior to anything Docherty produced for us after he signed.

With Arfield, Jack, Dorrans,Holt and whoever else Gerrard signs all competing for a spot, Greg will have his work cut out making the bench until he ups his performances.

What I will say though is McCrorie's performance at Pittodrie and Rossiter's at Easter Rd at the end of the season were both way superior to anything Docherty produced for us after he signed.

With Arfield, Jack, Dorrans,Holt and whoever else Gerrard signs all competing for a spot, Greg will have his work cut out making the bench until he ups his performances.
Yeah we aren't really short on midfielders. I would think that Dorrans and Holt's time is up. Possibly Jack aswell which would be a shame

Agree..
Dorrans and Holt I'd imagine will struggle also. I'm expecting better.
Have high hopes for Rossiter.
McCrorie I can't see as a regular fixture in midfield. Yes, he done a job as he's versatile. He's still a centre half(in the making) or a right back for me.

Yeah we aren't really short on midfielders. I would think that Dorrans and Holt's time is up. Possibly Jack aswell which would be a shame

They can't all be in the squad each week so it will be interesting to see who Gerrard fancies.

I personally think Jack may make the grade, but will need to be eased back after his injury.

Agree..
Dorrans and Holt I'd imagine will struggle also. I'm expecting better.
Have high hopes for Rossiter.
McCrorie I can't see as a regular fixture in midfield. Yes, he done a job as he's versatile. He's still a centre half(in the making) or a right back for me.

I personally like McCrorie at DM, but time will tell mate.

Holt?
You cannot be serious!

In my opinion, Docherty will shine under the new manager. He and the other midfielders were thrown to the wolves under Murty.

For my money the player under most threat in that area is Candieas. There's no way we'll operate with two wingers next season,unless we go with three at the back which is unlikely.

There was a rumour going around that SG has personally contacted him to tell him he is an admirer and will play a big part under him
I heard this also through a mate of Dochertys, supposedly Gerrard said he really liked his style and he was a big part of his plans.

Last edited:
I am very confident he will
Improve massively this season. He has the energy Stevie G will want and will work on his positioning pressing and passing. Can see him developing into a Henderson type for us, disclaimer not comparing the two just the energy and drive is a good start

If any of our midfielders don't learn and raise their game under the tuition of Gary Mac and Stevie G then they don't deserve to be at Ibrox

I am very confident he will
Improve massively this season. He has the energy Stevie G will want and will work on his positioning pressing and passing. Can see him developing into a Henderson type for us, disclaimer not comparing the two just the energy and drive is a good start

He looks to me like he could be suited to playing wide right,rather than centrally.

We have a talent in Scotland of giving up on our best youngsters too soon (see john fleck) lets give this lad a bit of time, he has the physical traits for sure hopefully Stevie can improve his technical game

He is still a young lad. He should have been bled into the first team rather than flung straight in. I still have high hopes for him, especially under Stevie G & Gary Mac.

He looks to me like he could be suited to playing wide right,rather than centrally.

To be honest I’ve seen him in the flesh only a couple of times and his energy and pace was the standout qualities. All depends on the formation and how Stevie G wants to utilise him either way I think we will have a player on our hands

Have heard Docherty is very fast but with limited skill - needs a mentor to develop him.
Bang on the money.

Running about like a blue Arse fly doesn't cut it for me, has to play in the area that his position demands and stick to it.

No doubt, the young lad has a terrific engine, however you have to have more than that to succeed at Rangers sadly I just don't see the young lad getting much game time, Arfield, McCrorie,Dorrans,Jack and Rossiter are rightly ahead of him in all aspects, add on the fact that The gaffer will further strengthen this area means that Docherty will get limited game time.

Arfield
Jack
McCrorie
Rossiter
Dorrans (maybe)

All ahead of him in the pecking order.

Our manager and assistant manager are 2 of the best midfielders that britain have produced in the past 25 years.

If our midfielders can learn a thing or two from them then they should give up.

Rossiter, McCrorie, Jack and Docherty are all good players imo.
Yep, we had a season without Rossiter and Jack. Add this kid from Liverpool and we have some strength in there. My only concern in midfield goals. I'm looking for a Gerard or a Lampard type goal contribution. Windass/ Arfield?

Docherty was trying too hard, there is a player there, ge is deffo ahead of Holt and Dorrans in the pecking order anyway but we need a creative midfielder aswell.

Its good having the physical attributes and engine but you have to have the skill and quality to go with it so lets see how he does next season.

It's going to be a big season for Docherty.

Not just him. The likelihood is this manager is going to stick around for a good few years. So no more underperforming players outstaying the manager. He is the man to impress and if they can't they can say goodbye to their Rangers career.

I was happy with the Docherty signing. However, he hasn't done a lot since his signing to massively impress me. But he does have potential and is incredibly fit. I hope he proves to have a good Rangers career ahead of them.

I'm not sure he'll feature that much. I also don't think McCrorie will play as big a part as he did this season. Jack & Rossiter are a fair bit ahead of them and that's without taking into consideration the impending transfers.

I'm not sure he'll feature that much. I also don't think McCrorie will play as big a part as he did this season. Jack & Rossiter are a fair bit ahead of them and that's without taking into consideration the impending transfers.

Neither are a “fair bit ahead” of McCrorie.

He's a young lad, hardly in the door, and some already write him off.:(

Predictable shite but no surprise.

NS.

Exactly, he was 'running about like a blue-arsed fly' because he WAS our midfield as our then-manager refused to accept what was in front of him. I also think he'll be a big player for us but he'll kick on more towards the end of the season when Gerrard has exorcised the Murty out of him.

Back