Grezda retires aged 29

uneasydaz

FORMER SPFL bad boy Eros Grezda has had a rollercoaster time since leaving Rangers in 2020.

On the field, he's had EIGHT transfers in four years and one national cup win in Hungary

Off it, there's been a celebrity engagement, a secret marriage, a baby boy and, lately, a divorce.

But now the 29-year-old has made the shock decision to QUIT football.

The Albanian forward has cut short his time at NK Rudes and hung up his boots, just a week after his wife Ajsel confirmed they had split.

He announced his career break after tearing up his contract following his side's relegation from Croatia's top flight

Grezda had a relegation release clause written into the deal he signed in January and has exercised it, and stepped away from the game altogether.

He confirmed his news on Instagram where he said: "Thanks to Rudes for the opportunity and understanding, I have made a decision to take a break from football for the moment."

It follows similar social media confirmation from his estranged wife Ajsel - a model and pop star in their homeland - which confirmed their marriage was over last week.

The glam couple have an 11-month-old baby, Kian, together.

But the regretful footballer says his decision is more to do with injuries than anything else.

In an interview he explained: "I am tired of these injuries. I had a contract with Rudes for one more year, I respect it as a team, but I don't want to play in the second league and that's why I broke the contract.

"If a serious offer comes and I'm in good health, I'll join, but I don't believe it.

"You never know in football, but the chances are small."

Grezda was plagued by injury - and discipline issues - at Ibrox.

He was caught driving without the correct paperwork in Glasgow and copped a £400 fine and six month driving ban.

The Albanian international also fell foul of club officials after spitting at an opponent in a B team friendly.

He was eventually axed by Steven Gerrard in 2020 and returned to former club Osijek.

But Grezda said: "I have had four operations on the ligaments in the joints of my legs. Twice in Croatia I was operated on incorrectly. It was the most critical moment of my career.

"I had the first operation just before I went to Rangers, then I suffered the injury there in Scotland in January. They gave me injections instead of surgery.

"Then I became immune to injections and I was operated on twice in Croatia, and the fourth time in Barcelona.

"I was one of the greatest Albanian talents. I have had a successful career since I was 20 years old.

"I have realised the life goal of my career where I signed a contract with one of the biggest clubs in the world. I became the first Albanian to sign a contract with the club with the most trophies in the world

"Then other problems started. I am not satisfied, I believed that I could achieve much more, but life has these challenges. I have to continue other things."

Grezda is now expected to move into football agency.

FORMER SPFL bad boy Eros Grezda has had a rollercoaster time since leaving Rangers in 2020.

On the field, he's had EIGHT transfers in four years and one national cup win in Hungary

Off it, there's been a celebrity engagement, a secret marriage, a baby boy and, lately, a divorce.

But now the 29-year-old has made the shock decision to QUIT football.

The Albanian forward has cut short his time at NK Rudes and hung up his boots, just a week after his wife Ajsel confirmed they had split.

He announced his career break after tearing up his contract following his side's relegation from Croatia's top flight

Grezda had a relegation release clause written into the deal he signed in January and has exercised it, and stepped away from the game altogether.

He confirmed his news on Instagram where he said: "Thanks to Rudes for the opportunity and understanding, I have made a decision to take a break from football for the moment."

It follows similar social media confirmation from his estranged wife Ajsel - a model and pop star in their homeland - which confirmed their marriage was over last week.

The glam couple have an 11-month-old baby, Kian, together.

But the regretful footballer says his decision is more to do with injuries than anything else.

In an interview he explained: "I am tired of these injuries. I had a contract with Rudes for one more year, I respect it as a team, but I don't want to play in the second league and that's why I broke the contract.

"If a serious offer comes and I'm in good health, I'll join, but I don't believe it.

"You never know in football, but the chances are small."

Grezda was plagued by injury - and discipline issues - at Ibrox.

He was caught driving without the correct paperwork in Glasgow and copped a £400 fine and six month driving ban.

The Albanian international also fell foul of club officials after spitting at an opponent in a B team friendly.

He was eventually axed by Steven Gerrard in 2020 and returned to former club Osijek.

But Grezda said: "I have had four operations on the ligaments in the joints of my legs. Twice in Croatia I was operated on incorrectly. It was the most critical moment of my career.

"I had the first operation just before I went to Rangers, then I suffered the injury there in Scotland in January. They gave me injections instead of surgery.

"Then I became immune to injections and I was operated on twice in Croatia, and the fourth time in Barcelona.

"I was one of the greatest Albanian talents. I have had a successful career since I was 20 years old.

"I have realised the life goal of my career where I signed a contract with one of the biggest clubs in the world. I became the first Albanian to sign a contract with the club with the most trophies in the world

"Then other problems started. I am not satisfied, I believed that I could achieve much more, but life has these challenges. I have to continue other things."

Grezda is now expected to move into football agency.
He retired back when he signed for us

Hopefully we've moved on from the period of signing utter wasters like Grezda and Pena. A big part of recruitment is making sure players have the right personality.

A waster, obviously, but that last part, nobody can take that away from him for better or worse. Hopefully the next one is a lot better

You can always count on the Scottish media to spew out pish like this about a former Rangers player. You know when an ex player or manager of ours is doing well because you will never hear about them

Seems to be a guy who had no interest in being a professional footballer but enjoyed the lifestyle it gave him.

Looked utter pish any time he played for us, a Mark Allen classic.
Reading between the lines: his ex has probably dumped 'one of Albania's greatest talents' because he was using her to prop up his lifestyle and she didn't fancy bringing a kid up with a waster for a da.

Hopefully we've moved on from the period of signing utter wasters like Grezda and Pena. A big part of recruitment is making sure players have the right personality.
Beale said he liked to look into a players eyes and see they had what it takes

Maybe off thread but we have no idea how moving country and signing for a team like us is ever going to work out.

Probably be regretting that in ten years time. Many pros that leave the game early, later say they should have prolonged their career.

Was it Wilson who recouped a 7 figure transfer fee for him?
Credit where credits due because we got robbed and sold him on with a straight poker face

We need to stop signing players with known injury problems. One of the reasons we shouldn't pay to sign Cortes in the summer, maybe another loan, but no transfer fee.

Back