Hagi last night

Of course i remember them, the Braga game Hagi scored 2, the second was the free kick that took a huge deflection, Airbo scored this one
The old firm game we were poor for half an hour then came into it and dominated the second, again cant recall Hagi being a standout.
Is this the one he came on at half time?
He was the difference that day, no doubt about it.

Nah mate "the OF at Ibrox at the start of the year", seems you did miss Hagi influencing that game, it isn't his fault you don't seem to watch Rangers TBF
In what way did he influence that game ?
Did he not get winners in single goal games last year?
You don’t get much more influential than that.
Ok influence is the wrong word because of course if you score then you have had an influence ( im delighted when any Rangers player scores a goal !) Dominate, control, MOTM type performance is probably more what im meaning.

Celtic had basically pinned us in most of the first half had multiple chances to score, we looked lost, and it actually looked like they had maybe found a way to tactically counter us, we had next to no out on them.

Hagi came on at half time started to hit balls into channels turn their full backs who had been pressed high and started to find space, he made the ball move quicker than he can run, smart that, he changed the shape of them and started to, you know, influence the game

Hibs at home last January, Galatasary, outstanding performance, St Johnston 3-0 last year, excellent, 3-0 at Livvy, excellent

Last edited:
Ok influence is the wrong word because of course if you score then you have had an influence ( im delighted when any Rangers player scores a goal !) Dominate, control, MOTM type performance is probably more what im meaning.
Do you see Aribo doing that?
MotM absolutely and no doubt about it.
Last night, for example, he was the best player on the park but wasn’t the match winner like Morelos with his goal and assist was.

Celtic had basically pinned us in most of the first half had multiple chances to score, we looked lost, and it actually looked like they had maybe found a way to tactically counter us, we had next to no out on them.

Hagi came on at half time started to hit balls into channels turn their full backs who had been pressed high and started to find space, he made the ball move quicker than he can run, smart that, he changed the shape of them and started to, you know, influence the game
I seem to recall McGregor having a blinder and Bitton getting sent off as the major influences in that game. Look mate we are never going to agree on Hagi, you obviously rate him very highly and i dont but its all about opinions.

I seem to recall McGregor having a blinder and Bitton getting sent off as the major influences in that game. Look mate we are never going to agree on Hagi, you obviously rate him very highly and i dont but its all about opinions.

McGregor was excellent and yip Bitton went because we had started to turn and stretch them.

Oh I 100% agree to disagree on your view that he hasn't influenced games for sure, that's not much to do with how much I rate or don't rate him, it was simply a completely wild claim to make and not based on any form of evidence while he has played with us.

He’s nowhere near as good as some make him out to be

For me, he’s no better than a squad player for us. A player that will more often than not be on the bench and come off in tight games

He isn’t good enough to be a regular starter and if we got a good offer, I think we should take it and reinvest.

Put it this way, if he was sold in January I’m not convinced he’d be missed tbh

My question was serious, bud.
I can’t think of who you mean, in the present day.
Pick any top 5 team from any top 5 league. None of their wingers are slow. Do i need to actually type out names?

Even traditionally, not a position you would find slow players playing.

Not impossible, has happened, but it would be the exception.

It astonishes me how much of a hard time Hagi gets from the fans. Last year in particular, he was involved in so many goals where we won by 1. He made a huge impact.

If it's good money, then of course we'll sell, but I don't understand the idea of actively trying to punt him. He's a fantastic player, and if he had the pace, then he'd be absolutely nowhere near the Scottish game.

Nothing came off 1st half, huge improvement 2nd half, we don’t score that 2nd goal without him

Pick any top 5 team from any top 5 league. None of their wingers are slow. Do i need to actually type out names?

Even traditionally, not a position you would find slow players playing.

Not impossible, has happened, but it would be the exception.
Exactly the non-committal response I expected, along with the goalposts moved from fast to not slow.
And, I’m still struggling to think of these fast wingers at City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs.

He’s the guy I’d cash in on in January tbh he’s the one we can afford to lose that would get us money
Disagree. Outside Aribo we don’t have any footballers of Hagi’s ability. Gio will improve him, then we’ll get real money for him.

He’s a frustrating player in many ways. He has lovely technique and some of his passes and touches verge on the sublime, but he just doesn’t seem to affect games enough to be seen as a guaranteed starter for me.

I did feel similarly about Aribo however and he’s finally blossomed this season into the player we all knew he had the ability to be so just maybe Hagi’s time is still to come?

He’s two years younger than big Joe.

I like Hagi, thought he played well and doesn't always get the credit he deserves. No denying he does not have the pace some other players do but he can unlock tight defenses with quick feet and skill.

Felt for him. Was trying so hard, and you could see the frustration that it just wasn't his night. He is the sort though who will redouble his efforts in training to get better. He's a proper pro and it shows every day!

If we sell Aribo then I expect Hagi will take that role over. I would expect GVB to sign someone for the right wing.

You’ll hear a lot about Joe’s amazing touch, but the best bit of skill on the evening was Hagi’s first time pass for the 2nd goal. The pace he played it at created the goal.

I've dipped in and out of this thread, including contributions over the last 24 hours. At the risk of repeating myself, why are so many of us so incapable of applying any sort of balance regarding so many of our players. Clearly I'm in the Hagi fan club, however I admit he was frankly rotten in his so called best position vs Lyon. Against that, I genuinely despair at those who can't recognise how influential a game he had last night. Man of the match? clearly not, however the current manager who most of us seem mightily impressed with thus far seems to rate him enough to select him most games.

I've dipped in and out of this thread, including contributions over the last 24 hours. At the risk of repeating myself, why are so many of us so incapable of applying any sort of balance regarding so many of our players. Clearly I'm in the Hagi fan club, however I admit he was frankly rotten in his so called best position vs Lyon. Against that, I genuinely despair at those who can't recognise how influential a game he had last night. Man of the match? clearly not, however the current manager who most of us seem mightily impressed with thus far seems to rate him enough to select him most games.
Play him to sell him would be my guess, we do need cash for someone and for me he just doesn't suit our league.

You’ll hear a lot about Joe’s amazing touch, but the best bit of skill on the evening was Hagi’s first time pass for the 2nd goal. The pace he played it at created the goal.
It was a great 8 or 9 pass move but the best bit of skill was from Alfie as the pass from Hagi was actually a bit too hard but Alfie managed a great flick to Aribo who gave him it back then he found Kent.

It was a great 8 or 9 pass move but the best bit of skill was from Alfie as the pass from Hagi was actually a bit too hard but Alfie managed a great flick to Aribo who gave him it back then he found Kent.
Yes, it was a beautiful touch by Alfie, but a round the corner, first time pass at that speed broke the line. For me Hagi needs more consistency, but he can do some great things in games that many others can’t.

He’s clearly not a winger. To get the best out of him we’d have to play him as the 10 but Aribo has that spot nailed down just now.

Has a lot of shots and crosses blocked because he’s not got the pace to get away from the defender. As said above, if we had to sell someone this window such as Kamara, Aribo, Kent or Hagi then I know who I’d want to leave.
Arfield lacks pace. Steven Davis lacks pace. Alfie lacks pace too. How many times has Alfie missed opportunities because of his lack of pace?

Yes, Hagi lacks pace and he shouldn't be played wide as others have said, however I think his movement opens up space for other players. I really think he motivates other players to drive forward when they see him trying to get open or open up space for others.

Loved the full crossfield pass to Sakala last night, ok Sakala was flagged offside but the pass was inch perfect to his feet. You could see Rooney stretching for it as it was tantalisingly close to him getting it. He won a few tackles covering back as well, possibly play in the Arfield/Davis position rather than wide right?

People keep banging on about his pace but I don't think it's a big issue. He's being asked to play out of position at the moment to accommodate Joe Aribo, who is on fire. He's doing a job for the team, probably to the detriment of his own game at times. If we sign a right sided winger in January, Hagi will be crucial from January onwards because Aribo is going to be unavailable for a number of games due to AFCON, that's assuming we aren't tempted by a bid from down south for him that is.

Hagi was crucial at points last season and provided plenty of goals and assists. Find the calls to sell him a little bit short sighted. Gio thinks he's a valuable member of the team, I trust his judgement more than your average punter on here tbh.

A bit too hard, fs man what will the man have to do to get any credit from you

GVB obviously rates him as he keeps picking him.

Suspect he's not as popular as Fash Jr as he doesn't smile as much - or have forgotten Braga at Ibrox.
Braga in 2020 isn’t a justification for playing him just now.

Oh, and Sakala is more popular as he’s contributing more more in fewer minutes on the park. Having a dig at Sakala seems a bit stupid here.

I thought he put in a great shift. The defensive part of his game was really good. He was always willing to put the boot in to break up play. He made a brilliant recover in the second half when he chased back to his own half and won the ball back. He was also the link in transition at Kent's goal.

He could use some composure at times, and you never know if he's going to get a good connection or sklaf it. But i thought he was one of our best performers last night.
Mate did you miss him getting left
He’s nowhere near as good as some make him out to be

For me, he’s no better than a squad player for us. A player that will more often than not be on the bench and come off in tight games

He isn’t good enough to be a regular starter and if we got a good offer, I think we should take it and reinvest.

Put it this way, if he was sold in January I’m not convinced he’d be missed tbh
imo he should be back up to aribo as the 10

We need someone wide right with pace be it sakala wright or someone else

A bit too hard, fs man what will the man have to do to get any credit from you
It was a responce to the comment that the Hagi pass was the best bit of sklll of the night, it wasn't even the best bit of skill for the goal that was Alfies touch from Hagis pass which came at hm a bit harder than he might have liked. It was a great team goal from the goalie to Kent.

He’s definitely an odd one. Anyone with a brain should love him, clearly talented, great attitude and absolutely gets it.

I’m a big fan of the boy but as it stands, he’s nowhere near getting in ahead of Aribo in his natural position and he’s doing a job out right while Sakala’s getting up to speed.

A lot of people are getting very upset others for perfectly justified opinions, but ultimately Gio will be looking for two flying machines out wide given that his favoured pairing for the majority of his time at Feyenoord was Steven Berghuis and Sam Larsson, both absolutely rapid.

Whether that’s going to be Sakala long term, who knows, but it won’t be Hagi. He’s definitely worth keeping though.

Back