Havertz goal last night where there was a foul in the build up

I never seen the goal last night but I genuinely struggle to get annoyed about that goal being chopped off. It was a clear foul in the build up.

I thought there was one in the African Nations, can’t remember it though.
Semi final I think it was. Soutb Africa game?
If it’s a penalty check and it’s deemed outside the box then award the freekick instead. I’m not suggesting freekicks in the midfield etc should be checked ffs :))
no I know, I get that… but you’ll have ones that are clearly outside the box from the get go and never looked at for a penalty that are virtually the same place - you need to then argue that effectively because we looked at something for a penalty that’s “more” of a free kick than one that we didn’t in almost the same spot…

Which is what I mean by “run of the mill” free kicks, if you start introducing VAR for them around the box too - where do you stop?

I never seen the goal last night but I genuinely struggle to get annoyed about that goal being chopped off. It was a clear foul in the build up.
I think the issue comes from perceived inconsistency - which if you’re comparing like for like, would be fair enough

Sadly, comparing to a different nation, with a slightly different interpretation isn’t quite like for like

Which, to be fair, is also part of the issue

Has it been confirmed anywhere that it was too far back to be deemed a foul? I'm not sure it has, and it was definitely checked.

It looked like a foul from one angle and not from the other.

Apparently it was too far back for VAR to overturn the goal and award Chelsea the foul according to the officials. The ball was in the back of the net after two passes. When you compare it to Dessers goal disallowed in the recent Old Firm game it’s another decision that leaves you scratching your head as to wether or not refs up here just make it up as they go along.
They do.

Refs in Scotland operate for the benefit of Celtic. Be that giving decisions that benefit them on the pitch, benefit Rangers opponents or penalise Rangers.

The video library of this is extensive now.

Has it been confirmed anywhere that it was too far back to be deemed a foul? I'm not sure it has, and it was definitely checked.

It looked like a foul from one angle and not from the other.
I've seen nothing at all to the effect that it 'was too far back' so I'm dubious about that. Seems its only the opinion of the lassie on TV. The most common reports I've seen indicate that Chelsea had legitimate claims for a foul but that it wasn't given. Nothing more.

There's now no point in more experienced referees letting a few tackles go - to keep the game flowing - VAR will just go back and cancel any goal scored in the following attack.

I “think” PGMOL have a slightly different stipulation on that with regards to when and where things can be brought back in comparison to IFAB

I assume the SFA still revert to IFAB

I said at the time of the Dessers goal, that probably stands in England but is disallowed in Europe…

It’s probably an issue with the way the English do it and how much English football were exposed to up here leading to confusion on interpretations

part of the issue up here is the inconsistency

Dessers tries to nick the ball, gets kicked - given as a foul

1 week later, Turnbull deliberately places his foot between ball & defender (with no attempt to play the ball - in contract to Dessers) purely to draw the foul and the penalty was given

in our case - the "interceptor" is punished
1 week later - the defender is punished

both cases a certain team benefitted

Apparently it was too far back for VAR to overturn the goal and award Chelsea the foul according to the officials. The ball was in the back of the net after two passes. When you compare it to Dessers goal disallowed in the recent Old Firm game it’s another decision that leaves you scratching your head as to wether or not refs up here just make it up as they go along.
I hear you, but I also seen the incident in the African nations semi final when Nigeria broke up the pitch scoring to make it 2-0 and what we thought booked them a place in the final. Next thing, not only is the goal ruled out, it goes up the other end for a penalty to South Africa.

Nobody noticed this at the time and to allow play to go on, with a classic breakaway goal is farcical. These things need called right away instead of allowing a passage of play which finished up at the other 18 yard box.

Happened in AFCoN semi final earlier in the year I’m sure

Although, that’s a slightly different situation as the potential penalty would be checked regardless of how long before the goal it occurred - we’ve seen them go back 2/3 minutes to penalties if the ball hasn’t gone out of play

A foul in the app is a bit different in that sense
Seen that. Just wish I read through the replies pre rant.

Wasn't there a German game where a team scored but then VAR pulled it back to the other end of the pitch and awarded a penalty to the other side?

Something like that anyway.
@WinkieWATP @TQ3 @GreigC @El Jock Grande Sabia

It wasn't Germany - it was in the Czech Republic in 2019 in a game between Bohemians and Slavia Prague. Video footage in article. According to the article similar happened in The Dutch Super Cup in 2017 in a game between Feyenoord and Vitesse Arnhem.

I found it, eventually. Imagine this in an OF game.:oops:

Last edited:
I thought there was one in the African Nations, can’t remember it though.
There was. Sure Ghana were involved. Guy fouled but ref waved play on, think Ghana went up the park and scored. Mad celebrations, VAR pulled it back to the original foul which was deemed in the box, penalty awarded and scored.

What I don’t like is that you can have a situation like on Sunday where hearts get a corner after a player is blatantly offside. If they score from that corner the goal would have been given. Var is riddled with inconsistencies like that
That’s on the linesman to flag it at the end of the attack.

Up here it’s becoming clear the officials are hiding behind VAR and waiting for it to identify decisions rather than make them in play. It’s an absolute abuse/misuse of the system.

Notably Red Watch the other day was interesting as it looked at the Nottingham Forest controversy.

Dermot Gallagher was at pains to point out how down South they are actively trying to minimise VAR intervention in decisions and not re-referee games from the VAR station.

He more than once mentioned decisions that are given all the time North of the border but that wouldn’t be given down there, primarily handballs/minimal contact penalties.

It is literally the case of different refereeing standards ruining things.

They said in the commentary that VAR checked it and didn’t think it was a foul.

That’s on the linesman to flag it at the end of the attack.

Up here it’s becoming clear the officials are hiding behind VAR and waiting for it to identify decisions rather than make them in play. It’s an absolute abuse/misuse of the system.

Notably Red Watch the other day was interesting as it looked at the Nottingham Forest controversy.

Dermot Gallagher was at pains to point out how down South they are actively trying to minimise VAR intervention in decisions and not re-referee games from the VAR station.

He more than once mentioned decisions that are given all the time North of the border but that wouldn’t be given down there, primarily handballs/minimal contact penalties.

It is literally the case of different refereeing standards ruining things.
I don’t thing PGMOL have it right at the moment either though

The balance is probably somewhere in the middle - which generally seems to be where UEFA are

Either that or refs down there make it up as they go along.

What is the furthest back VAR has went to rectify an error?
This one always sticks out for me having watched the game at the time.

Slavia player challenged in the box. Inter break away and score at the other end....before VAR intervenes and gives a penalty to Slavia. Which Soucek scored.

34mins on the clock top left

I've seen nothing at all to the effect that it 'was too far back' so I'm dubious about that. Seems its only the opinion of the lassie on TV. The most common reports I've seen indicate that Chelsea had legitimate claims for a foul but that it wasn't given. Nothing more.

I think people are projecting a bit, yes.

It was a foul last night and a foul in our game. The only difference is that VAR didn't think last night's was a foul.

I honestly do think there should be some kind of signal that a foul may have been committed in the run-up to a goal. Having everyone celebrate a goal and then have it ruled out gives a massive, massive advantage to the other team.

This one always sticks out for me having watched the game at the time.

Slavia player challenged in the box. Inter break away and score at the other end....before VAR intervenes and gives a penalty to Slavia. Which Soucek scored.

34mins on the clock top left

Slavia again.:eek: They featured in the one I posted back at post #63 as well. They 'benefitted' that time as well.

Dessers one was a shocker as not only was it a ridiculous time to go back, the keeper save on the first shot made it a new phase of play, so should never have been considered even if he clattered him and the ref didn't see it as a foul

Actual cheating

What I don’t like is that you can have a situation like on Sunday where hearts get a corner after a player is blatantly offside. If they score from that corner the goal would have been given. Var is riddled with inconsistencies like that
Another anomaly in application of VAR was Butland's point-blank save from Shankland at Hampden in the first half. Shankland was clearly offside; not a disputable toenail decision, but clear for all to see. No offside given.

Balogun then immediately put the ball out for a corner direct from the rebound off Butland. Had Hearts scored from that corner, VAR could not then check Shankland's initial position in the shot/save action directly preceding the corner, it being in an earlier phase of play.

Hearts would have been awarded a goal, when the correct decision should have been a free-kick to Rangers for offside before the ball was put out.

I don’t thing PGMOL have it right at the moment either though

The balance is probably somewhere in the middle - which generally seems to be where UEFA are
You're probably right, but what I would say is that it at least feels like they are trying to find an appropriate balance to make the system work better for the flow of the game and to avoid it over-interfering.

It'll need to keep evolving and improving.

Up here, it feels like refs circle wagons, decry anyone who questions them and pulls down the shutters on any criticism or observation of the way the system and its users operates.

Very little contrition for mistakes/problems up here and essentially no public dialogue on controversies.

For me as soon as an opposition player touches the ball its got to be a new phase of play.

Dessers one was a shocker as not only was it a ridiculous time to go back, the keeper save on the first shot made it a new phase of play, so should never have been considered even if he clattered him and the ref didn't see it as a foul

Actual cheating
It didn’t, an opposition player would either have to gain possession or pass it to a team mate for that to happen.

This is from the VAR FAQ page...

"From what point does the VAR check incidents leading to a penalty or goal?

The VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the penalty or goal.
The starting point will be limited to the immediate phase. The VAR may not go back to when the attacking team gained possession.
The VAR will consider the ability of the opposing defence to reset, and the momentum of the attack."

So does that mean they were wrong to look at the foul that led to us winning possession and scoring from?

Which is the point behind its being disallowed as soon as the attempted clearance is a new phase of play and should have only being checked till that point as although he made an arse of the clearance of be had put it out for a corner then its a corner.

It's rereffing game by not doing that

The VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the penalty or goal.
The starting point will be limited to the immediate phase. The VAR may not go back to when the attacking team gained possession.
The VAR will consider the ability of the opposing defence to reset, and the momentum of the attack."

So does that mean they were wrong to look at the foul that led to us winning possession and scoring from?
Think it's worded poorly, as I've seen it happen in different competitions.

That’s poor wording

“May not necessarily” would be a better choice I argue

So can go back, but depends on what happens in between too

Think it stems from the idea that England have a slightly broader definition on the change of APP as opposed to the ifab idea that stems almost towards clear possession or an uncontested clearance

Wasn't there a German game where a team scored but then VAR pulled it back to the other end of the pitch and awarded a penalty to the other side?

Something like that anyway.
Something similar happened at Chelsea v Spurs where Chelsea scored, it was knocked off by VAR for offside, but VAR also noted that a Spurs player had fouled a Chelsea player, and the result was offside goal, penalty to Chelsea and the Spurs player red carded. :p

1 week later, Turnbull deliberately places his foot between ball & defender (with no attempt to play the ball - in contract to Dessers) purely to draw the foul and the penalty was given

Funny that isn't it, how its always seems to be a certain team that continually benefit from this "incompetence" in Scotland. It must just be a coincidence.

The ref gave a free kick for that Turnbull one cause he thought it took place outside the box. VAR then said no take a look at it again cause it's inside the box and then the penalty was given.

45 minutes - at the New Year game to find a reason to get Willie Collum off the hook!

I'm still waiting to see evidence that the " offside " decision against Sima was correct. In true Scottish media fashion, they just kept repeating that Sima was offside until it was accepted as reality, then swept under the carpet.

I “think” PGMOL have a slightly different stipulation on that with regards to when and where things can be brought back in comparison to IFAB

I assume the SFA still revert to IFAB

I said at the time of the Dessers goal, that probably stands in England but is disallowed in Europe…

It’s probably an issue with the way the English do it and how much English football were exposed to up here leading to confusion on interpretations
It’s bemusing that in 3 separate incidents in OF games in circa the last year goals have been chopped off for Rangers and the beneficiary has been Celtic FC.
In all instances the referees/VAR have been able to justify decisions which are difficult to understand.
It seems to me a very unlikely scenario that one team is the beneficiary on 3 occasions.virtually on a game to game basis.

It’s bemusing that in 3 separate incidents in OF games in circa the last year goals have been chopped off for Rangers and the beneficiary has been Celtic FC.
In all instances the referees/VAR have been able to justify decisions which are difficult to understand.
It seems to me a very unlikely scenario that one team is the beneficiary on 3 occasions.virtually on a game to game basis.
Okay mate…

Well if a decision is to be made what do you want the ref or VAR to do? They got the Dessers one right in the last game, they gave us a penalty for Silva and they got their penalty right so it was 3 correct decisions. The handball at the Piggery was a stonewaller but IF Sima was offside then the handball doesn't matter the issue with that whole incident was it took them nearly 40 minutes to tell us it was offside.

People keep mentioning the Alfie goal that got ruled out there last season if Clancy says he's ruled out for a push and the replays show 2 hands on the back of Johnston which backs Clancy's decision up whether you agree with it or not what do people want VAR to do?

The only debatable out with the Sima one has been the Dessers one in the first game of the season with him and Lagerbielke.

Well if a decision is to be made what do you want the ref or VAR to do? They got the Dessers one right in the last game, they gave us a penalty for Silva and they got their penalty right so it was 3 correct decisions. The handball at the Piggery was a stonewaller but IF Sima was offside then the handball doesn't matter the issue with that whole incident was it took them nearly 40 minutes to tell us it was offside.

People keep mentioning the Alfie goal that got ruled out there last season if Clancy says he's ruled out for a push and the replays show 2 hands on the back of Johnston which backs Clancy's decision up whether you agree with it or not what do people want VAR to do?

The only debatable out with the Sima one has been the Dessers one in the first game of the season with him and Lagerbielke.
Ok let’s assume or agree the last Dessers decision was correctly given as free kick.

Take the other decisions the first one you mention was not one of my contentious ones.
However the fact that Collum on Var ignored the procedures.
The offside part only came to light after the game when out the blue it turned out there was an offside decision.
The fact Var procedure was circumvented is an issue.

The Alfie goal was a stick on goal.
Fetus was jostling for position within the penalty box and was hands on Morelos.
Morelos reciprocated and any hands on by Morelos was minimal.
There was not a significant push and physical contact is part of football.
How that could be attributed to foul play by either of them is outrageous.

The Dessers incident where Roofe scored after Lagerbielge knocked the ball to far in front of him which allowed Dessers to gain possession of the ball without contact is outrageous as well.

Maybe you could outline an incident where Celtic FC were not the beneficiary of a major decision and had a goal denied during the same time period.?

It was a foul & I’d actually say I thought Havertz was fouling the defender as well, looked to have a hold of his shirt while holding him off

Ok let’s assume or agree the last Dessers decision was correctly given as free kick.

Take the other decisions the first one you mention was not one of my contentious ones.
However the fact that Collum on Var ignored the procedures.
The offside part only came to light after the game when out the blue it turned out there was an offside decision.
The fact Var procedure was circumvented is an issue.

The Alfie goal was a stick on goal.
Fetus was jostling for position within the penalty box and was hands on Morelos.
Morelos reciprocated and any hands on by Morelos was minimal.
There was not a significant push and physical contact is part of football.
How that could be attributed to foul play by either of them is outrageous.

The Dessers incident where Roofe scored after Lagerbielge knocked the ball to far in front of him which allowed Dessers to gain possession of the ball without contact is outrageous as well.

Maybe you could outline an incident where Celtic FC were not the beneficiary of a major decision and had a goal denied during the same time period.?

On the Alfie goal that's your opinion I don't think it's a foul either and it's one of them Johnston has bought from Clancy. If Clancy tells VAR he's ruled it out for a push and replays back him up then only option is to go with the onfield decision otherwise VAR is re-refereeing the game.

I don't watch many of their games outwith us playing them so I couldn't tell you for your last point but there's a reason they want rid of VAR and it's cause decisions go against them.

On the Alfie goal that's your opinion I don't think it's a foul either and it's one of them Johnston has bought from Clancy. If Clancy tells VAR he's ruled it out for a push and replays back him up then only option is to go with the onfield decision otherwise VAR is re-refereeing the game.

I don't watch many of their games outwith us playing them so I couldn't tell you for your last point but there's a reason they want rid of VAR and it's cause decisions go against them.
Something he’s very good at, and unfortunately we’re not…

I was saying this at the time, it would have been better for the ball to hit the net, then for VAR to rule it out and we get the ball. Fact butland makes great save and we clear for a corner gives them them the advantage.

Back