Highland/ Lowland play off Cancelled

Always wondered how the league 2 teams worked with part time. The likes of Stranraer away to Peterhead is a hell of a jaunt for part time players especially if it’s a midweek. Do they travel up and down on the same day or does the club put them up in a hotel? Must cost a fortune for the league 2 clubs

I know a Dumbarton player and they travel on the day to Peterhead/Elgin if its a 3.00 kick off they're away by 9am from their arranged meeting point. They went to Elgin in November/December only to have to turn half way up because the pitch failed a pitch inspection.

Last edited:
I know a Dumbarton player and they travel on the day to Peterhead/Elgin if its a 3.00 kick off they're away by 9am from their arranged meeting point. They went to Elgin in November/December only to have to turn half up because the pitch failed a pitch inspection.
That’s madness. Irish league over here has part time players but furthest you would need to travel would be and hour and a half at most.

But Scotland has some massive distances between clubs which is mental for part time teams

I know a Dumbarton player and they travel on the day to Peterhead/Elgin if it’s a 3.00 kick off they're away by 9am from their arranged meeting point. They went to Elgin in November/December only to have to turn half up because the pitch failed a pitch inspection.
Another question I suppose I have regarding the league 1 and below part time clubs would be that all the players I presume are local lads. Cant imagine them travelling too far for part time football with training a couple nights a week. Suppose that’s what makes the lower league clubs more a community family feel as there is the local connection and relationships with the players

Another question I suppose I have regarding the league 1 and below part time clubs would be that all the players I presume are local lads. Cant imagine them travelling too far for part time football with training a couple nights a week. Suppose that’s what makes the lower league clubs more a community family feel as there is the local connection and relationships with the players

I’m sure I saw someone from Peterhead interviewed and he said they train in Dundee as they have so many players from Glasgow or the central belt.

Then they trek up to Peterhead for games at a weekend.

That’s madness. Irish league over here has part time players but furthest you would need to travel would be and hour and a half at most.

But Scotland has some massive distances between clubs which is mental for part time teams

Yeah long day for them when not getting home until 9.45-10pm. Had the chance to move in the summer but would have been more travelling than it is currently so he knocked it back.

Think one of the changes to Bronze Level is having an official Club Doctor present at every game, which I imagine could be difficult to arrange for some clubs.

Saw someone earlier in the thread having a dig at Beith for not having any floodlights, as far as I’m aware they’re still trying to overcome some complicated legal issues to get planning permission for their park as nobody actually owns it. Something to do with the ground being in the ownership of a trust which has no living trustees and hasn’t for many years. I think that once that is sorted they’re ready to crack on with installation.

Regarding Buckie, reading between the lines did they ever want to be promoted?
Arranging a Doctor is not hard there are literally thousands of them on the locum register looking for easy money.

I’m sure I saw someone from Peterhead interviewed and he said they train in Dundee as they have so many players from Glasgow or the central belt.

I am sure I read or heard that Stranraer train in Glasgow.Arbroath train in Perth as most of their players are from the central belt.

I remember Si Ferry saying on open goal they trained in Dundee at least once a week.

Him and all the Glasgow based players got a minibus up on the Friday night and would stay in Aberdeen the night before home games I’m sure.

It’s probably pretty common in the lower leagues. A guy I knew got a coaching gig at Gretna about ten years ago and asked me to sign for them training once a week down there and once a week with a team in Glasgow

So Buckie are scrapped from the play-off because they can't meet requirements and Dundee are...

SPFL and Doncaster are not fit for purpose.

I remember Si Ferry saying on open goal they trained in Dundee at least once a week.

Him and all the Glasgow based players got a minibus up on the Friday night and would stay in Aberdeen the night before home games I’m sure.

It’s probably pretty common in the lower leagues. A guy I knew got a coaching gig at Gretna about ten years ago and asked me to sign for them training once a week down there and once a week with a team in Glasgow
A lot of the managers and coaches will be based in central Scotland as well.

A friend of mine attended the Highland League meeting attended by SPFL and SFA top brass where it was originally proposed to have this pyramid/play off scheme allowing the opportunity for HL clubs to gain promotion to the SPFL.

He said that of all the Highland League clubs represented at the meeting at that time, only Cove Rangers formally showed they had an interest in playing in the SPFL.

All the other clubs said it wasn’t economically viable for them to join due to travel costs and the ability to comply with all the SPFL member requirements.

A lot of the managers and coaches will be based in central Scotland as well.
Do you follow the southern Irish league at all, bohemians, drogheda etc?

Are they full or part time? Or same as up here with the Irish league that half are full time half are part time. But difference with NI is that an hour and a half at most takes you anywhere in the country whereas the republic is a hell of a bit bigger

That might not be financially feasible for many of the clubs.

Then they can't compete in the league.

It's like the argument that clubs can't afford a grass pitch in the SPL.

If that's the case, they shouldn't play in the competiton.

The requirement for Brozne is pretty much the same as the entry licence to play in the league. It's a nonsense that money might be the issue.

Why? What if you don’t want to move up?

Because then you make a mockery of the competition.

Do teams "chuck" the last couple of games to avoid going to the playoff if they don't want to and hand points to other teams?

It's a competition. If teams aren't actively participating in it, the entire integrity of it is wasted.

You need a licence to play in the league itself that's not far from the Bronze requirement anyway. It's should be a prerequisite.

Do teams "chuck" the last couple of games to avoid going to the playoff if they don't want to and hand points to other teams?

It's a competition. If teams aren't actively participating in it, the entire integrity of it is wasted.

You need a licence to play in the league itself that's not far from the Bronze requirement anyway. It's should be a prerequisite.
But not if it's introduced only during the season and when clubs already in the league don't have the certificate. It's a nonsense. The ground at Buckie can participate in the Scottish cup, potentially against premiership clubs but can't host a league two match with Stranraer? This is simply a case of SPFL clubs doing all they can to make it harder for themselves to be relegated. And Buckie clearly didn't chuck it. They battled through about six games in 12 days to clinch that title.

Peterhead definitely do one night a week in Dundee.

I think they do a split group the other night. Central belters stay south and the northern lads train together.

The distances are mental.

Midweeks - lads just leave work early and get a mini bus usually.

Think it was Brora Rangers
Yea - played Montrose in the play off final, were leading by a goal in the 2nd leg at Montrose not long left either and blew it (the rumours were at the time they didn't want up so not sure if this was some of the reason)
Big Marv kept believing - bullet header then former ICT striker garry wood with a screamer to win the game

Peterhead had a French player a few years back who lived in Manchester. He used to get the overnight Megabus on a Friday to Glasgow then get the train to wherever they were playing early doors on the Saturday morning.

Be interesting to see what happens if Talbot go up.
Won’t be this season even though we have an outside chance. 7 games in 15 days or so with 6 being away from home means we will falter auto the players being knackered.

Said it before though. As a fan I’ve no interest in moving up. I wouldn’t get to many - if any - away midweek games and not even every away game on a Saturday. So no thanks.

Do you follow the southern Irish league at all, bohemians, drogheda etc?

Are they full or part time? Or same as up here with the Irish league that half are full time half are part time. But difference with NI is that an hour and a half at most takes you anywhere in the country whereas the republic is a hell of a bit bigger
No I don’t.i think most of the clubs in the top league are full time.certainly the big dublin clubs are full time.most of them have gone through financial crisis.ten or so years ago drogheda spent big and ended up winning the title and playing in Europe.it bit them on the arse and they almost went out of business.only time I have set foot on drogheda utd’s ground was when linfield played down here in the setanta cup.

Fair enough from the SPFL for once - very much sounds like Buckie just didn’t fancy it
Why didn't the Scottish football bosses come down equally as " hard" on Dundee for their multiple breaches of the rules for having an unplayable pitch? After their second call off, shouldn't they have been warned that if they didn't fulfil their league obligations and have a playable pitch then they risked being demoted to the championship regardless of where they finished in the league?

Shouldn't the league rules be applicable to all clubs?

Just seeing in the newspapers GS posted up that Brechin had spent a considerable amount of many to put things in place to get the bronze license.

But not if it's introduced only during the season and when clubs already in the league don't have the certificate. It's a nonsense. The ground at Buckie can participate in the Scottish cup, potentially against premiership clubs but can't host a league two match with Stranraer? This is simply a case of SPFL clubs doing all they can to make it harder for themselves to be relegated. And Buckie clearly didn't chuck it. They battled through about six games in 12 days to clinch that title.

Whereas Brechin spent money to get the licence in place and suffered as a result of that?

It's not just about whether the ground is safe. It's not that hard to get the licence. It's not that different to their own participation licence.

If you can't sort that sort of thing out, you shouldn't be competing in a league that allows you access to the top professional set up.

We make enough excuses for the site state of Scottish football. Not managing simple admin isn't an excuse that should be granted.

Think in the next 10 years the SFA should be looking to combine League 1 and 2 and regionalise them - Regional North/Regional South for example.

Leaves the Premiership and Championship as national leagues.

Of course, the clubs wont go for it as it drops a tier away from them being relegated to the Highland/Lowland League. Counter point to that would be having automatic promotion relegation between these leagues to make it easier to come back.

Nonsense, teams haven ambition to win the league so why would they throw games. If they then feel the requirements needed to move up are not worth it or they feel it’s not a league they want to play in them that’s up to them. So of UEFA pit in place criteria to play in the CL and it would cost us £50 million, if we decided that want worth it would you expect us to throw the league? Same thing

Nonsense, teams haven ambition to win the league so why would they throw games. If they then feel the requirements needed to move up are not worth it or they feel it’s not a league they want to play in them that’s up to them. So of UEFA pit in place criteria to play in the CL and it would cost us £50 million, if we decided that want worth it would you expect us to throw the league? Same thing

It shouldn't be up to them.

A condition of playing in the league that has results for teams which would see them gain promotion should mean they meet the requirements to do so.

The cost of aquiring this licence isn't half their turnover if you're making daft comparisons like the CL costing us £50m to enter.

Whereas Brechin spent money to get the licence in place and suffered as a result of that?

It's not just about whether the ground is safe. It's not that hard to get the licence. It's not that different to their own participation licence.

If you can't sort that sort of thing out, you shouldn't be competing in a league that allows you access to the top professional set up.

We make enough excuses for the site state of Scottish football. Not managing simple admin isn't an excuse that should be granted.
In that case relegate the clubs already in the league who also don't have the bronze licence yet. Buckie's new lights are already ordered and waiting to be put up amongst other demands.
What's next? A silver licence if you have a hedge? Buckie is a well run club with hospitality facilities other clubs of a certain level can only dream about. If it's all about admin why are Dundee not being demoted to the highland league?

In that case relegate the clubs already in the league who also don't have the bronze licence yet. Buckie's new lights are already ordered and waiting to be put up amongst other demands.
What's next? A silver licence if you have a hedge? Buckie is a well run club with hospitality facilities other clubs of a certain level can only dream about. If it's all about admin why are Dundee not being demoted to the highland league?
Some sense!

You think Dundee should just carry on un-checked?

I think mentioning them strengthens my very point. They shouldn't be allowed in the SPL if they're going to neglect the very basics required for playing a game of football.

If it was that well run, they'd have pissed the application for a simple Bronze licence.

When teams with similar means can do it, there's something wrong with their process and setup.

Brechin don't have the license , 5 league clubs don't have the license including Airdrie who could well be in top tier next season

Similar happened with Gateshead. Why even take part in the league if you know you can’t progress? A waste of time for everyone involved.

You think Dundee should just carry on un-checked?

I think mentioning them strengthens my very point. They shouldn't be allowed in the SPL if they're going to neglect the very basics required for playing a game of football.

If it was that well run, they'd have pissed the application for a simple Bronze licence.

When teams with similar means can do it, there's something wrong with their process and setup.
I clearly state there that if Buckie are being affected then so too should Dundee.

Just seeing in the newspapers GS posted up that Brechin had spent a considerable amount of many to put things in place to get the bronze license.
but yet they don't have it , Buckie have also done similar like the floodlight upgrade , the league has basically pulled the rug from under Buckies feet here as it is not yet May 15th............

Buckie Thistle Football Club would like to issue the following addition to last night's statement on the SPFL Pyramid Play-offs:
"The club is endeavouring to get to the bottom of the decision to remove us from this weekend's play-off semi final against East Kilbride FC."
"Club officials attended meetings and had discussions with both the SPFL and SFA on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, but no indication was given at any point that Saturday's fixture was in doubt."
"Attached is a screenshot from the Decision Note issued by the SFA, which clearly states a decision on the Bronze Licence is deferred until the 15th of May. Buckie Thistle were awarded derogations on 3 of the items mentioned, and given until 15th May to resolve the Medical items."
"After further discussions with the SFA this morning, we are now looking into the possibility of taking this to Arbitration, as per Article 99 of the SFA handbook."
"Further updates will be provided in due course."

but yet they don't have it , Buckie have also done similar like the floodlight upgrade , the league has basically pulled the rug from under Buckies feet here as it is not yet May 15th............

Buckie Thistle Football Club would like to issue the following addition to last night's statement on the SPFL Pyramid Play-offs:
"The club is endeavouring to get to the bottom of the decision to remove us from this weekend's play-off semi final against East Kilbride FC."
"Club officials attended meetings and had discussions with both the SPFL and SFA on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, but no indication was given at any point that Saturday's fixture was in doubt."
"Attached is a screenshot from the Decision Note issued by the SFA, which clearly states a decision on the Bronze Licence is deferred until the 15th of May. Buckie Thistle were awarded derogations on 3 of the items mentioned, and given until 15th May to resolve the Medical items."
"After further discussions with the SFA this morning, we are now looking into the possibility of taking this to Arbitration, as per Article 99 of the SFA handbook."
"Further updates will be provided in due course."

Based on that document the SFA and SPFL have got a bit of explaining to do.

Based on that document the SFA and SPFL have got a bit of explaining to do.
think the May 15th has been taken 2 different ways , Buckie thought they had up to that date to show work done and work to be done but think the 15th was for the SFA's deadline plus there's not replying to a few messages by Jags President

President Statement​

As your club president it is not only my responsibility, but my duty to inform you of the facts / circumstances that resulted in the decision made yesterday by the SFA. I am personally gutted for our fantastic management team and our fantastic players, who all did so much to make us all proud, and to all of you , our fantastic and loyal supporters.
The statement issued by the SFA yesterday indicates that we did not reply to their requests.
We have in fact been actively preparing for a Bronze Licence since late last year when it was clear that was the requirement from the SPFL.
I will state straight away that we did in fact miss the cut off date for the “period of grace “ from the SPFL. We have to accept that and categorise as an error never to be repeated. However earlier this week we were asked to submit a request for this to the SPFL, which we did straight away. Why did they request this ?
On the licencing side ( SFA ) I had a Teams meeting with the SFA Licencing Committee at Hampden on Wednesday to discuss the 4 applications for derogation that we had previously submitted. We were granted 3 of those derogations, the Floodlights, The Safety Officer and the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. The Medical Return was deferred to the next meeting due on the 15 th of May.
We have been unable to complete / submit our Medical Return because we are still trying to engage the services of a Doctor to attend all of our home games , this is a requirement for Bronze Level. This is currently our stumbling block and I believe the reason for our failure to be granted a Bronze Licence.
I have to stress that during ALL the dialogue between the club, the SPFL and the SFA, there was never any mention of the pending disaster that unfolded last night. I received the e-mail last night at 5 o’clock, informing us that we would not be taking part in the Pyramid Playoffs. The rest, as they say is history.
On a personal note I can only hope the above statement of fact clarifies the clubs current status as regards the licencing procedures and the efforts we have put into gaining a Bronze Licence. We felt we were in a good position , but unfortunately we were off the mark there.
I would like to finish this by saying that the board, committee and management team will continue to pursue the Bronze Licence, do our utmost to keep our management team and players together, and fight ( as we did this season ) for the title again next season.
We owe this to every one of you at Buckie Thistle Football Club.
Garry J.G. Farquhar – Club President

Last edited:
Bit of a farce that the potential for promotion is taken away because they haven't yet hired a doctor for home games based on the above.

When a) they haven't played the various playoff games b) if they win those games the season doesn't start for another 3 months.

Must be gutting for players, staff and fans currently.

Bit of a farce that the potential for promotion is taken away because they haven't yet hired a doctor for home games based on the above.

When a) they haven't played the various playoff games b) if they win those games the season doesn't start for another 3 months.

Must be gutting for players, staff and fans currently.
common sense as per usual with anything involving SPFL/SFA is absent as per ............ corruption also being mentioned due to this licensing wanting clubs to fork out before knowing if they'll be promoted , Scottish football hardly awash with cash

Back