How the Sons of Kai Flute Band were formed.

Great band. I've spent many a great day and night in Rathcoole, although not so much recently since I emigrated.

Although I had a weekend in Liverpool last month and randomly met a girl I know from Rathcoole just near the Cavern. I used to stay with her family when over there. :D

and of course, the perpetually offended a few years ago started a campaign of intimidation against this fine band, their claim was the name stood for Kill All Irish, nonsense of course but par for the course with these sad f@ckwits, to be filed alongside the bouncy and other assorted stuff they find offence where none exists

and of course, the perpetually offended a few years ago started a campaign of intimidation against this fine band, their claim was the name stood for Kill All Irish, nonsense of course but par for the course with these sad f@ckwits, to be filed alongside the bouncy and other assorted stuff they find offence where none exists
I was a long time member of Sons Of Kai Johnstone and we were forced into changing our name for the very reason you give. The band is now called The Sons Of The Somme.

Rathcoole Bluenose on here has strong family links to the Johnstone band.

Iirc some news reporter on utv covering the 12th in Belfast made that accusation as well.anyone with half a brain couple see a band called sons of kill all Irish,a)didn’t make any sense and b)the grand orange lodge of Ireland isn’t going to engage a band with that name.

Iirc some news reporter on utv covering the 12th in Belfast made that accusation as well.anyone with half a brain couple see a band called sons of kill all Irish,a)didn’t make any sense and b)the grand orange lodge of Ireland isn’t going to engage a band with that name.
Who or what is/was Kai?
The only Kai I can think of is Johansen. It won't be him would it?

FFS. Thats going some, even for the Bheast.

Wouldn't surprise me if such utter lies gained credence and support from the usual political and media useful idiots i.e. Humsa, Dornan, The Hag et al.

Great band. I've spent many a great day and night in Rathcoole, although not so much recently since I emigrated.

Although I had a weekend in Liverpool last month and randomly met a girl I know from Rathcoole just near the Cavern. I used to stay with her family when over there. :D

Spent anytime in The Cloughfern Arms perchance?

Not sure about that one tbh. The Fern Lodge was our go to pub.

For the 1992 SC final v Airdrie, we were living in Govanhill, me, er indoors and our two kids.

Because of meeting guys from Cloughfern regularly through my uncle, me and er indoors invited the full South East Antrim RSC to our house before the game. Hampden was only a twenty minutes walk up the road.

We're talking a living room, a bedroom and box room, a kitchen and a hall.

Including us four, my old man, brother and uncle and then the bus load, there were over fifty odd punters in that flat before the game.

My missus made sure there were pies and sandwiches aplenty for everyone. We were up late on the Friday night still making the sandwiches.

The day was a success. They all brought their own cargo, and before leaving for the game, black bags were produced to make sure there were no empties left.

Now the club's base was down in a hotel in Ayrshire and they went back there immediately after the game. I was cordially invited of course, but I was working on the Sunday.

Apart from the win, my main memory of that cup final win was the atmosphere in our wee flat before the match and the patter and bonhommie. After the game, it was like sitting in a morgue. From fifty odd punters to just us four again just seemed strange. It was almost like an anti climax.

But overall, a wonderful memory in this journey following the Rangers.

For the 1992 SC final v Airdrie, we were living in Govanhill, me, er indoors and our two kids.

Because of meeting guys from Cloughfern regularly through my uncle, me and er indoors invited the full South East Antrim RSC to our house before the game. Hampden was only a twenty minutes walk up the road.

We're talking a living room, a bedroom and box room, a kitchen and a hall.

Including us four, my old man, brother and uncle and then the bus load, there were over fifty odd punters in that flat before the game.

My missus made sure there were pies and sandwiches aplenty for everyone. We were up late on the Friday night still making the sandwiches.

The day was a success. They all brought their own cargo, and before leaving for the game, black bags were produced to make sure there were no empties left.

Now the club's base was down in a hotel in Ayrshire and they went back there immediately after the game. I was cordially invited of course, but I was working on the Sunday.

Apart from the win, my main memory of that cup final win was the atmosphere in our wee flat before the match and the patter and bonhommie. After the game, it was like sitting in a morgue. From fifty odd punters to just us four again just seemed strange. It was almost like an anti climax.

But overall, a wonderful memory in this journey following the Rangers.

That's brilliant. It's always good to welcome our Ulster brethren and it's always reciprocated. Good times.

That's brilliant. It's always good to welcome our Ulster brethren and it's always reciprocated. Good times.

My paternal granny came from over by. So growing up, especially at Ne'erday (they would be over for the OF game) I was always aware of our brethren being in my granny and granda's house.

Plus the links with my da (My ma and da actually spent their honeymoon in Belfast) and his brothers to their kin across the water, has always been there and stays to the present day. In Cloughfern, my remaining uncle will probably be regarded as a local.

Back