Ianis Hagi

very frustrating indeed when he's a player we could do with getting back to fitness and form next season. why even loan players to these teams if they're just going to bench them.

we should do what liverpool do with loans and have minimum amounts of gametime stipulated or they pay significantly more for the loan
Agree, it's frustrating. Every day on here we're discussing how we should loan this or that player out to another club to get him up to speed after an injury, or to get experience for a young player, and here we are going to have Hagi coming back without having made any progress at all in the past season. Similar with Lowry's spell at Hearts.

I suppose we have to accept that some loans just aren't going to work out, but it's really frustrating with a player like Hagi who we should actually be able to sell for a decent fee if we could have found him a loan at the right club as we did with Lammers.

People are absolutely obsessed with our players needing electric pace. Most of the time in our league there's absolutely nowhere to run to - just a penalty box packed full of defenders and all the pace in the world won't make any difference to getting through that.

And when Killie came out at 2-1 down we had no pace to exploit the gaps with 10 men.
And likely being boxed in at the Piggery for long periods? Yup I'm obsessed with pace for good reason.

I'm not sure where he goes after this to be honest. I think it would be best if he was moved on though.

You could apply that to Cantwell.

I actually think in a midfield 3 Hagi is a better option than Cantwell as he is a more stable player but there’s not much in it

Both are fatally flawed as they have no pace
Cantwell is much better technically than hagi as well as also being a much better athlete, cantwell isn’t quick but he has got a burst of pace of 10 yards that hagi doesn’t have.

I always thought he would play best floating around behind a fast pacey striker. A bit like we had with Buffel and Lovenkrands. I still think that him and Sakala could have been a lethal pairing if they had got some time together. Too many people say that you need pace for the modern game, but every other team seems to manage! The factor in making it work is overcompensating by playing with a really fast player(s) alongside.

This will be lost on a few on here

The season we won the league the new year game Celtic battered us but luckily it was 0.0 at halftime

Hagi came on played in the number 10 and absolutely changed the game.

Hes a very good player probably not a 90 minute player but when played he contributes and works very hard and was a great squad option.

Since injury he struggled but looked decent in pre season and genuinely changed the cup game he came on he had a go at Beale and was put out the door

Haven’t looked at the updates. Assume it’s usual nonsense

Hagi is a talented player who should be given the chance under a competent manager
If Clement decides against keeping him this summer does that make him incompetent?

I suspect Hagi will be sold to generate some funds. He may not even be given a chance to impress the manager.

If Clement decides against keeping him this summer does that make him incompetent?

I suspect Hagi will be sold to generate some funds. He may not even be given a chance to impress the manager.
Ifs, buts and maybes. I’d rather make the call after a preseason with clement than Beale.

The longer Hagi is away from the club on loan the better he’s become as a player.

Been getting skelfs on his arse for the past 5 games & has had an overall awful loan spell.

He will hold value which we can reinvest though.

Look at our players that the manager has improved in a shirt space of time.

Hagi tries like %^*& & is open to playing in a number of positions. I'd say it's a fair bet that given a Clement pre season he'd be a more than decent addition to a Rangers front line.
Who has actually improved?

People are absolutely obsessed with our players needing electric pace. Most of the time in our league there's absolutely nowhere to run to - just a penalty box packed full of defenders and all the pace in the world won't make any difference to getting through that.
Against the scum. And in Europe we need pace against most of the rest we need technically players who can keep the ball and draw players to them

Ifs, buts and maybes. I’d rather make the call after a preseason with clement than Beale.
I’m suggesting that there may not be much in the way of a pre season for him.

It is guesswork, I’ll admit, but I think decisions will be made in advance of pre season who is going to be kept on and who isn’t.

We need to get rid of what we call the dead wood and Hagi falls into that category, IMO. He also has sell on value, something I think we’ll be looking to exploit, especially if we don’t make the CL.

I’ll be surprised therefore if Hagi turns up for training in June and Clement thinks, “Hang on, this kid has what it takes to be in my team” - I’m pretty sure he’ll have formed that opinion already if at all.

If Clement decides to give him a chance, I'm not necessarily against it, but I think it is unlikely....lots of fans confident the manager can get something out of Hagi yet I'm not sure any of us could hand on heart say where?

He's not going to play as a striker, he's not effective or fast enough as a winger, inverted or otherwise.

So whilst there is nothing wrong with believing Clement can turn Hagi's fortunes, it's difficult to see how and more importantly, where?

Has a great footballing brain but always lacking something that would make him a regular starter and a consistent gamechanger

I like him but think we need better and should try and move on

Look at our players that the manager has improved in a shirt space of time.

Hagi tries like %^*& & is open to playing in a number of positions. I'd say it's a fair bet that given a Clement pre season he'd be a more than decent addition to a Rangers front line.
What players has the manager improved? If they can't win on saturday it's arguable if he's improved anyone. Results have improved mostly down to a bit of belief but have the players improved enough to get us a title? Would you want to go with this same group next year and hope that Clement will improve them further?

What players has the manager improved? If they can't win on saturday it's arguable if he's improved anyone. Results have improved mostly down to a bit of belief but have the players improved enough to get us a title? Would you want to go with this same group next year and hope that Clement will improve them further?
When I posted that reply (March) almost the entire squad had improved when compared with when PC 1st arrived.

Was that down to the fabled "new manager bounce"? Maybe, but at that point, performances & results had improved markedly.

To answer your questions, it would appear probably not & no, but 8ish weeks ago? There would possibly have been a different answer to your 1st question re winning the league.

I’m suggesting that there may not be much in the way of a pre season for him.

It is guesswork, I’ll admit, but I think decisions will be made in advance of pre season who is going to be kept on and who isn’t.

We need to get rid of what we call the dead wood and Hagi falls into that category, IMO. He also has sell on value, something I think we’ll be looking to exploit, especially if we don’t make the CL.

I’ll be surprised therefore if Hagi turns up for training in June and Clement thinks, “Hang on, this kid has what it takes to be in my team” - I’m pretty sure he’ll have formed that opinion already if at all.
I sincerely hope (and believe) that decisions regarding players' futures will have been made long before pre-season.
If not it would be gross negligence on the part of our management team considering the size of rebuild we obviously need.

All this about Hagi being slow, Steven Davis has never been the fastest, however if your gifted with a good footballing brain, and the knack of being in the right place right time? Included with Hagi, is also Lowrie, who unfortunately I don’t think will make it, we’ve had headless sprinters before and nothings came of them, Clement I do believe can turn a player round.

The debate with Hagi always goes back to what he done 3 years ago when we won the league. Following season was 2 goals and 1 assist in the league before his injury where he wasn't a regular. He's not been playing in Spain either hopefully goes to the Euros does well and we can get our money back on him.

Unique?
In what way?

Unique definition: Being the only one of it's kind.
If we're going to pull out the definitions of words then I think the whole forum might be fucked. But aye, he's a player who does things that other won't/or can't. He finds passes and space that others are either unable to or are uncapable of doing. He's not the best fit for the league, but I think he's shown that when fully fit and on form then he adds to the squad.

All this about Hagi being slow, Steven Davis has never been the fastest, however if your gifted with a good footballing brain, and the knack of being in the right place right time? Included with Hagi, is also Lowrie, who unfortunately I don’t think will make it, we’ve had headless sprinters before and nothings came of them, Clement I do believe can turn a player round.
Difference is that Steven Davis was a fast processor of the game, hagi is not. That’s why Davis played at the levels he did, because despite his lack of speed, his speed in which he processed the game meant it didn’t matter.

Difference is that Steven Davis was a fast processor of the game, hagi is not. That’s why Davis played at the levels he did, because despite his lack of speed, his speed in which he processed the game meant it didn’t matter.
That can be countered by look at some of his goals came from out of the blue, personally I see his future going down a rabbit hole, be best if we can get some money and shake hands.

Back