Is De Bruyne the best midfielder the EPL has ever had?

Who has been the best for you?

• De Bruyne

Votes: 134 28.5%
  • Lampard

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • Scholes

Votes: 51 10.8%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 202 42.9%
  • Vieira

Votes: 25 5.3%
  • Keane

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • Silva

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Toure

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Other? (please name)

Votes: 10 2.1%

• Total voters

LoyalAndBlue82

Official Ticketer
Debate on Sky after the game last night and Redknapp says he is now clearly ahead of Scholes, Gerrard , Lampard, Vieira, Toure etc

Is he the best for you?

He’s in the top bracket as has been said, but he’s still not as good an all round player as people we’ve seen before.

Must have missed 100 odd games with injuries as well.

He's a great player and is in the argument, no doubt about it.
You could argue the fact he is surrounded by world class players has an impact on his game, for the likes of Gerrard, Viera, Lampard etc. would it be fair to say they weren't surrounded by world class players? Maybe.

For me the best midfielder the EPL has ever seen is Gerrard. He was the epitome of a leader and a Captain. He single handedly dragged that team to victory so many times. Inlcuding a CL final against all the odds. Doesn't have the league titles De Bruyne has though.

I‘d say yes, though he does have the advantage of playing in a brilliant team.

The best players generally do though.

Hard for me to be impartial with this one as a Blue. He is incredible though and has been for a number of years. Performances in big games, g/a numbers, longevity. All that in spite of having a decent spell out injured in most seasons he's been with city as well so God only knows how much better he'd have been had it not been for injuries.

Special player.

Not sure if he is or isn’t, but a lot of people won’t give him the credit because he’s playing currently and players always get better over time or nostalgia kicks in.

He’s probably the most complete, and the best technically that I’ve seen. However, the others minus Scholes had more of an Aura about them (apologies for wanky Gordon Parks terminology) and could lift those around them.

I don’t watch much EPL these days, so I’m probably not the best person to go all in here :))

He's a great player and is in the argument, no doubt about it.
You could argue the fact he is surrounded by world class players has an impact on his game, for the likes of Gerrard, Viera, Lampard etc. would it be fair to say they weren't surrounded by world class players? Maybe.

For me the best midfielder the EPL has ever seen is Gerrard. He was the epitome of a leader and a Captain. He single handedly dragged that team to victory so many times. Inlcuding a CL final against all the odds. Doesn't have the league titles De Bruyne has though.
I'd agree with your assessment. Gerrard had it all. The ugly side too. Never see that nasty streak with de Bruyne. Gerrard had it in spades.

If Gerrard played in better teams I don't think there would be a debate

Would he have been the main man still in a team with better players though?

I did Gerrard a lot though must admit. Can't argue with any of the points made about him especially as captain of his club.

I'd agree with your assessment. Gerrard had it all. The ugly side too. Never see that nasty streak with de Bruyne. Gerrard had it in spades.

He's had his moments believe me.

Suppose it's not often seen with Kev though because we don't generally end up in games that are particularly attritional in midfield. We play in a way that allows his best assets to come to the fore.

Reactions: TQ3
100% agree. Keane, Vieira, Lampard, Scholes, De Bruyne etc. all great players but all played in sides that, for the most part, were vastly superior to the teams that Gerrard was playing in. Gerrard had it all and is the best for me.

Agree tbf if I wasn't tainted by bias I would probably agree Gerrard stands out. He did absolutely have the lot as a player.

Hahahahaha no

Pep often takes him off or drops him in big games.

Which big games has he dropped him in?
Fitness is the one thing that's ever really held him back and that's why he's needed a break here or there but he's rarely if ever left out purely for tactical reasons especially in big games.

Gerrard had the skill, aggression and could score for fun. The final against Milan proved that he could grab a game by the scruff of the neck.
I would rather have him in my team than de Bruyne. Pre-EPL… Souness for the same reasons.

There was one of those Euro football programmes when he was just breaking into a first team, and even then the class of the guy was outstanding. Watched him mature into one of possibly the best attacking midfielders, and doesn’t seem to have a mega ego!

Reactions: TQ3
Which big games has he dropped him in?
Fitness is the one thing that's ever really held him back and that's why he's needed a break here or there but he's rarely if ever left out purely for tactical reasons especially in big games.
You don't drop the best midfielder of all time for tactical reasons.

He's not the best ever but he's definitely up there bit biased though as I love him as a player he just has everything in his game.

KDB has bits of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard all rolled into the one player.

I don’t think it’s something you could really say for definite anyway. Prime Lampard for example in this current City side would probably have another 50 goals to his total for example

Im not sure. Its probably a personal thing where I used to watch a lot more football on tv 20 years ago than I do now so they are the players I enjoyed watching the most. Most times city are on tv I don't watch as I find them pretty boring to watch

Im not sure. Its probably a personal thing where I used to watch a lot more football on tv 20 years ago than I do now so they are the players I enjoyed watching the most. Most times city are on tv I don't watch as I find them pretty boring to watch
Loads of people say this. I don’t know how anyone who enjoys football can find City boring to watch. There hasn’t been many sides as enjoyable to watch as a neutral imo.

Loads of people say this. I don’t know how anyone who enjoys football can find City boring to watch. There hasn’t been many sides as enjoyable to watch as a neutral imo.

its good at times but for me its like watching 11 robots on the pitch. Fantastically coached and obviously brilliant players but just find it dull a lot of the time. I would far rather watch a Fergie Utd team than a pep Man City team

It's because we're a club tainted by money and charges. People can't being themselves to separate the issues behind the scenes from what goes on on the pitch. Sad really.

Back