Is goldson spriralling down or just knackered?

Halek

Similar to lundstram and tav. They don’t miss games and haven’t since they signed.

They all came onto a game when clement came in but now are pretty poor (to say the least)

Are the games catching up with them or are the just in need of a really good break?

Personally I,think,tiredness is a huge factor for all three and given their service then some time,should,be taken to give them time to recover form.

That said Tav will never be a good defender.
I also think the three of them being available to play 90 minutes every week hinders them. They three of them should have been rested at various parts of the season

He’s 32 now (I think) and has played about a billion games in 6 years, in a physical league. He’s picked up a couple of niggles, a bad injury last season and is just naturally declining, I think. Could just be fatigue, which I hope.

Was a cracking signing at £3.5m, had some excellent performances over the years. If this is his final season (I don’t think it will be) then I thank him for service and wish him well.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been massive Souttar fan for years but I think there’s a solid argument that Goldson is still our best centre back. Although, I think the loss of pace (he was never quick anyway) means that Balogun’s pace is needed.

He would have a 20 page thread slating him if he lost the goal Balogun did today. I think he’s shattered and have a feeling he’s been managing an injury but he was getting shown up by trying to play through it every game. I think he will be back by next week alongside Balogun. Has been our strongest partnership this season IMO.

I also do think if a decent offer came in for him whether it be Saudi or wherever else, it’s probably time to freshen up the defence.

Outwith Ridvan, we haven’t actually upgraded any part of our defence since Helander came in beginning of 2019. When Connor Goldson arrived in 2018, he was coming into a team that finished 3rd so naturally he looked miles better than what we were used to.
As the seasons have passed, he’s remained a very good player, but he hasn’t got better which is what we’ve needed. It’s a fairly damning indication of how the club has been run that the defence is pretty much as was from when Gerrard took over, with souttar or Balogun the exception. Ridvan looks like he’ll be nailed on at LB but we can’t say for sure as he never seems to get a run of games.
Defence quite simply has to be rebuilt in the summer

I also think the three of them being available to play 90 minutes every week hinders them. They three of them should have been rested at various parts of the season
It’s been stupidity from every manager we have had. Rarely (if at all) have the been given time out of the team. Regardless of the opposition or level.

A bit of both. He averages around 53/54 games a season since 2018. It’s mad.

He’s lost a yard, definitely, but frankly Balogun and Souttar get away with stuff he’d be pilloried for.

We are a weird support.
A great point, Souttar makes a lot of mistakes which never seem to be brought up but wouldn’t be the case if it was Goldson.

Goldson has never been quick but it’s been more noticeable this season, our best two centre backs are Balogun & Goldson.

As others have said, he has barely missed a game since signing for us, so tiredness, getting older and a drop in form combined

Physically and mentally exhausted and off form. Probably no more and no less.

I’m not sure what standard of defender people expect we’re going to get to replace him within our budget and league we play in. That lot paid around £6m for CCV who also has an error in him and is frequently unavailable.
Yeah, that’s a good point.

They’re spending £10m on CCV after add ons, who isn’t perfect and then spent £9m on two centre backs in the summer who have barely been seen.

Burn out wil be a factor, but in the case of Lundstram and Goldson it is also a lack of top level talent and a loser’s mentality.

He would have a 20 page thread slating him if he lost the goal Balogun did today. I think he’s shattered and have a feeling he’s been managing an injury but he was getting shown up by trying to play through it every game. I think he will be back by next week alongside Balogun. Has been our strongest partnership this season IMO.

I also do think if a decent offer came in for him whether it be Saudi or wherever else, it’s probably time to freshen up the defence.
I said that to my pal watching the Dundee game, he looked like he was carrying something.

The amount of games him, Tav and Lundstram play over a season probably takes its toll to some extent. It’s a symptom of having poor squad depth.

It’s no excuse for being so bad against Dundee and Ross County though. Walter Smith used to have players crawling out of their sick bed to win games for him.

Fatigue and aging the biggest factor but taking away his great fitness and attitude since he signed he's always been a very ordinary defender capable of mistakes.

We've tried to get a partner for him the last few seasons when I think he's needed someone challenging him for his spot instead.

Fatigue and aging the biggest factor but taking away his great fitness and attitude since he signed he's always been a very ordinary defender capable of mistakes.

We've tried to get a partner for him the last few seasons when I think he's needed someone challenging him for his spot instead.
I don’t think he is ordinary. But he is certainly capable of mistakes. But his level, overall, is quite high. But with mistakes

Goldson has been a good signing for us. I have to say, I’ve always felt he is a far better player with pace beside him. Goldson and Balogun are a better pair, in my opinion, than they are individuals. I think Connor has struggled this season. Games and time are beginning to catch up with him. Less of the positives (where are those cross field passes?), no goals and he looks a little done in mentally too - Motherwell at home seemed to hit him hard. For the money, he’s been a great signing.

Personally I,think,tiredness is a huge factor for all three and given their service then some time,should,be taken to give them time to recover form.

That said Tav will never be a good defender.
It's a massive thing think someone posted this year alone our top paying players are 10/11 games now than the scum players.

It's being same for most of last 4/5 years

The speed and pace of football...... before teams started deflating balls recently physically is more demanding now than even 10 years ago.

Players need to rest and recuperate properly.

It comes back to poor recruitment not bringing in players who are good enough to be back up

Sterling should prob have players 10-15 games as rb but due to poor signings he's having to cover everywhere apart from gk

Bassey was brought in as back up left back and ended up mom performance in el final at cb due to injuries.

Raskin should be able to replace lundstram but fact is he's not very good and although he's energetic he makes wrong choices a lot and loses the ball but the players we need again he should have been able to easily play 10-15 games giving jl a rest

Even dessers him/danillo should be swapping a lot but again injuries and dessers is running on enjoy as well .......I don't think he's good enough as our starter but energy levels have an impact on it

You could go through our full squad and recruitment and go wtf is actually going on

The pressing goes the tracking back concentration everything.

Games have killed Goldson he’s been an ever present barring serious injury last season and even then he was rushed back.

He’s been a great servant and signing but it might be the right time for everyone to move him on.

Injuries or suspensions apart I doubt he'll start again.
He should start, he's still our best defender.
No way we lose that goal today with him on

Ballogan has a track record of coming in, playing well then dropping off.

For me, Soutar makes the most mistakes but is also the best at coming out from the back

Basically need 2 new centre Half's in the summer

Games have killed Goldson he’s been an ever present barring serious injury last season and even then he was rushed back.

He’s been a great servant and signing but it might be the right time for everyone to move him on.
I’m not against him staying or going. But, if he goes, we need two to replace him. We need proper quality rotation in the modern game.

He should start, he's still our best defender.
No way we lose that goal today with him on

Ballogan has a track record of coming in, playing well then dropping off.

For me, Soutar makes the most mistakes but is also the best at coming out from the back

Basically need 2 new centre Half's in the summer
We’ve lost a load of goals with long balls/crosses into the box with goldson at ch

You are right Balogun made a mistake for the goal but there was a couple of tackles he made today that Goldson just wouldn't do.

Correct.

But as Paolo Maldini said, if you’re having to make tackles, you’ve already made a mistake….

Watching CG’s interview tonight I think he will be here next season. If we’ve any cash to spend, a non-Championship left footed CH would be top of my list.

The back 4 of today plus Goldson and Yilmaz all go in the summer. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Butland is away too….with a big money offer used to help fund the entire rebuild of the squad. There a case that only Sterling and Diomande from that starting 11 is here next season. For one reason or another!!

He is being asked to play a different type of defence under Clement and his lack of pace sees him caught out.

He mentions the amount of running he has to do now in his recent interview. It's because we try play a high defensive line to squeeze the game, however that leaves us vulnerable to a ball over the top.

He's been a very good signing and a great servant for us.

Has been an incredible servant to the club as has Tav, Clement will have his own ideas and I think with a better CH beside him then he would be fine next season. However if we seen a bid in the 3-4 million range I think the club would take it.

The back 4 of today plus Goldson and Yilmaz all go in the summer. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Butland is away too….with a big money offer used to help fund the entire rebuild of the squad. There a case that only Sterling and Diomande from that starting 11 is here next season. For one reason or another!!
Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing but that's never happening.

He’s not the type of player to ask for a rest. He’s clearly burnt out. Goldson, Tav and Lundstrum have been carrying the team all season, they are bound to hit a wall at some point. The injury’s we’ve had this season haven’t helped.

Tav looks mentally and physically exhausted. I think he will leave in the summer.

He is being asked to play a different type of defence under Clement and his lack of pace sees him caught out.

He mentions the amount of running he has to do now in his recent interview. It's because we try play a high defensive line to squeeze the game, however that leaves us vulnerable to a ball over the top.

He's been a very good signing and a great servant for us.
This where we have went wrong since the winter break

We don't have the defenders for enough to pace this way properly which is why Lundstram drops so deep. Then once the fb invert the opposition go diagonal or play through midfield with ease.

I get what clement wants to do but he does need be a bit pragmatic as well.

Our injuries are wild so don't have the wingers and striker that can link rotate the play on the wings so we have nullified tav as a threat

The midfield doesn't have legs to cope against 3/4 in it when the strikers are static up front.

We have got it b wrong since the winter break

With injuries v and form we would be better going 352 or 343

Latest posts

Back