It’s a tough slog at times being a Rangers man

At 57 I’ve seen the highs and the lows like most of us bears have
But the last decade or so has been brutal ( European finals aside )
All the false dawns with this group of players has been especially hard to to take

Anyway here’s hoping for better times soon
Mate, I’m just a few years older than you so I can relate to what you’re saying.
Watching Rangers is like a roller coaster ride.
But I’m positive there’s more highs than lows to come.

I’m 77 born a proud Rangers supporter and will die a proud Rangers supporter like my dad and grampa before me.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Football without ups and downs is soulless.

I’m happy to leave the entitlement to the mouth breathing puddle drinkers.
I liked your comment, and I agree with most of it in principle… the first two sentences…

But the last sentence, I’m a little confused as to who that’s referring to !
Apologies as I’m a little pissed , but are you really referring to a specific type of ranger’s fan as an entitled mouth breathing puddle drinker lol ?

I often think to myself ‘why, oh why do I do this to myself?’. Other times I wonder, sometimes out loudly that I wish I had never become interested in football. I even, on occasions, genuinely think I really ‘hate’ football. I’d certainly be much much better off financially if I didn’t bother with it :))

Then I walk up Mafeking Street and the stadium enters my view. The singing when the team comes out, the cheering, that feeling when we win. That’s what makes it all worth while. Our heritage, our colours and the passion of 50,000 other supporters.

Life would be a boring old slog until you die if nothing could raise your BP and adrenaline levels a bit, and you didn’t have an absolute passion.
You kinda nailed it mate, but it’s way too long for a Tattoo unfortunately lol…

The frightening thought is it could be another ten years of this, or more.

It’s why we cannot stop demanding.
This is my worry. At this stage it’s inevitable they’ll overtake our trophy haul in everything. I was brought up through NIAR and never thought we’d be second best for so long like we are now. There doesn’t seem enough desire to change that either

Supporting Rangers is like having an abusive partner that you keep going back to after a fall out. We are in love with the club but sometimes they treat us really badly, yet time and time again we go back for more, we do so in the hope that this time it’ll be better. Sadly, in recent times it has not.

When it appears like they are trying at least we can see that but in recent weeks it’s been kind of hard to accept they either give a %^*& or that they care enough.

I fear for the next few years when inevitably we don’t win this years league. The scum are there to be stopped but I’m just not sure if the current squad care enough about us to make it happen.

Last edited:
Supporting Rangers is like having an abusive partner that you keep going back to after a fall out. We are in love with the club but sometimes they treat us really badly, yet time and time again we go back for more, we do so in the hope that this time it’ll be better. Sadly, in recent times it has not.

When it appears like they are trying at least we can see that but in recent weeks it’s been kind of hard to accept they either gove a %^*& or that they care enough.

I fear for the next few years when inevitably we don’t win this years league. The scum are there to be stopped but I’m just not sure if the current squad care enough about us to make it happen.
A fine analogy, and sadly one which I think sums up the modern relationship between football fan and board, not just in the case of Rangers but across football.

Tough for any Bear under 20,The last 12 years have been the worst domestic era in living memory and there is no prospect of it improving any time soon,
The grip the fhilth have in Scottish football is getting stronger season on season.

I disagree, they may have the financial advantage but there is a limit to the standard of player that can be attracted to the league.

This season should be much closer than the 3 points gap, thats been well covered on here.

We need to get the recruitment correct - it’s vital. There are gems out there!!

Look mate I get that but the status quo mean we become Hearts with a bigger stadium and support. We're scraping around to buy players most of whom are either looking for an EPL move or are just not very good.
Every rich owner is not a Whyte or Green or Easdale. Some teams do have great people owning them who are wealthy and are not looking to asset strip the club.
What happens when this rich persons money runs out? Do we just keep finding new rich people to spend their own money on Rangers.

We need a proper, sustainable planning.

Fair play, Sir.

I grew up in the late 80s and 90s and what a time it was.

My boy is now 18 and seen us win only one title (too young to remember titles 52-54)

The kids don't know what it was like before 2012.
Was talking to a young supporter at a job I was at, then it clicked , she had only really seen us win one title. Fair play to them for bring real Rangers supporters !

I disagree, they may have the financial advantage but there is a limit to the standard of player that can be attracted to the league.

This season should be much closer than the 3 points gap, thats been well covered on here.

We need to get the recruitment correct - it’s vital. There are gems out there!!
The problem is they have the financial clout to up their game whenever they see the need and access to next seasons champions league will add to that advantage.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Football without ups and downs is soulless.

I’m happy to leave the entitlement to the mouth breathing puddle drinkers.
correct mate
football is unpredictable ( atalanta v liverpool )
real life isnt a computer game where you set parameters

What happens when this rich persons money runs out? Do we just keep finding new rich people to spend their own money on Rangers.

We need a proper, sustainable planning.
Well mate what about Red Bull? Was strongly rumoured a couple of years ago. Done okay for Leipzig and Salzburg.

At 57 I’ve seen the highs and the lows like most of us bears have
But the last decade or so has been brutal ( European finals aside )
All the false dawns with this group of players has been especially hard to to take

Anyway here’s hoping for better times soon
I'm in the same boat bud, seen the highs, suffered the lows, but do you know what!, i wouldn't change it for the world, to be like them. had the misfortune of being on a train heading back to Ayrshire when that rabble boarded, the ugliest shittiest support i've ever seen, self entitled rsoles
if there ever was one, good days will be back, 2012 was hard to take, but i wouldn't swap their one- horse e-mailed trophies for any thing, PC will bring his own men in and we'll roll on, every trophy we win kills them, lets start today with this semi-final

I agree, sometimes it is a tough slog, particularly the last decade, outwith 55. But, getting back on a supporters bus after a great win, or being in a Rangers pub or club with your own, or even any pub watching the Gers with others of the same ilk, there's not many things better.

Been following since the early 2000s where we shared trophies between us in what was an entertaining decade of football. Then 2012-2018 was a period largely of grinning and bearing it as we suffered some of our worst ever humiliations.

This current spell might be the most frustrating though. We're not a million miles off them but they seem to just be able to hold us at arms length. They're not unbeatable but you get the sense that our players don't really believe they can win against them.

Overall it's like we're back to us needing them to have a bad season while we also have a really good season (including good fortune with injuries) in order to win anything. It shouldn't have been this way after 55.

As it stands I'm clinging to the notion that things can change quickly in football. Wish these changes would hurry up though.

Fair play, Sir.

I grew up in the late 80s and 90s and what a time it was.

My boy is now 18 and seen us win only one title (too young to remember titles 52-54)

The kids don't know what it was like before 2012.
Very similar age with similar aged boys.

I gave the one LCF ticket I had to my eldest (20) as he had never seen a trophy lift at Hampden

The frightening thought is it could be another ten years of this, or more.

It’s why we cannot stop demanding.
I was thinking the same the other day. But as soon as the CL spot (that we earned) is taken away, they'll start coming back to us.
It's not ideal - I'd rather catch them, given the choice. But them regressing is inevitable, as they're not knocking out a PSV/Benfica/Lille level club in a qualifier. No way.

So 5 years tops before it's level again, in my opinion.

Large swathes of the modern support grew up in the "next year will be even better" era - late 80's to late 90's, I think that's a major factor contributing to things tbh.

That goes for the football era in which we were smashing it, and equally just the era to be in the post-Cold War/Berlin Wall era. Both being a supporter of Rangers, and growing or coming of age in an era of continued growth, hope, and optimism...wild in retrospect.

I was thinking the same the other day. But as soon as the CL spot (that we earned) is taken away, they'll start coming back to us.
It's not ideal - I'd rather catch them, given the choice. But them regressing is inevitable, as they're not knocking out a PSV/Benfica/Lille level club in a qualifier. No way.

So 5 years tops before it's level again, in my opinion.
A lot of good points in there mate
Sadly Them regressing not us progressing is the likely case

Back