It’s a tough slog at times being a Rangers man

2012 absolutely knackered us and still is partly because of our own situation made worse by the charlatans who gained control and partly by the changes in global football that left everyone outside the big five leagues in their own backwater.

I’m a bit older than the OP so I still see Rangers as the premier team in Scotland but in terms of success in recent years it’s been virtually nonexistent. Unless we see a change in ownership to people with deep pockets I cannot see improvement. We have a whole lot of very ordinary players plus big Jack.

At 57 I’ve seen the highs and the lows like most of us bears have
But the last decade or so has been brutal ( European finals aside )
All the false dawns with this group of players has been especially hard to to take

Anyway here’s hoping for better times soon
Fair play, Sir.

I grew up in the late 80s and 90s and what a time it was.

My boy is now 18 and seen us win only one title (too young to remember titles 52-54)

The kids don't know what it was like before 2012.

Would you prefer to be a supporter of them ?

Football is a bit like your family , love them ,support them regardless of the issues of life.

So much rediculous talk from all football fans nowadays, we support the best club in Scotland enjoy it , embrace it and at sometimes endure it.

If we have hard times the good times will taste all the sweeter.

56 will be great when it comes , the same as 55, our next treble win be great too, as a Rangers fan we are probably in a minority of two football fan bases that can experience a treble or a double or even a top flight championship win.

So for me being a Rangers man is a honour and privilege.

Would you prefer to be a supporter of them ?

Football is a bit like your family , love them ,support them regardless of the issues of life.

So much rediculous talk from all football fans nowadays, we support the best club in Scotland enjoy it , embrace it and at sometimes endure it.

If we have hard times the good times will taste all the sweeter.

56 will be great when it comes , the same as 55, our next treble win be great too, as a Rangers fan we are probably in a minority of two football fan bases that can experience a treble or a double or even a top flight championship win.

So for me being a Rangers man is a honour and privilege.
Supporters of Them ?

Behave yourself mate

I was only making the point it’s tough going at times

Slightly older than the poster and I've also seen great times. Trebles in the 70s, the Souness era. The great Walter, big Ecks treble etc etc.
It's the young fans I feel sorry for, but hopefully the glory days will return and they can enjoy success as much as we oldies have.

2012 absolutely knackered us and still is partly because of our own situation made worse by the charlatans who gained control and partly by the changes in global football that left everyone outside the big five leagues in their own backwater.

I’m a bit older than the OP so I still see Rangers as the premier team in Scotland but in terms of success in recent years it’s been virtually nonexistent. Unless we see a change in ownership to people with deep pockets I cannot see improvement. We have a whole lot of very ordinary players plus big Jack.
Your last paragraph is a concern - nothing learned from the past and what got us to 2012, just hope some rich guy shows up and throws money at us.

Slightly older than the poster and I've also seen great times. Trebles in the 70s, the Souness era. The great Walter, big Ecks treble etc etc.
It's the young fans I feel sorry for, but hopefully the glory days will return and they can enjoy success as much as we oldies have.
Totally agree mate.

My lad is 19 and has known next to nothing but misery domestically, but some outrageous stuff in Europe.

I genuinely feel for him - but we’ll get back there eventually

No surrender

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Football without ups and downs is soulless.

I’m happy to leave the entitlement to the mouth breathing puddle drinkers.

This, the filth are a strange lot.

I had one filth supporting ex acquaintance who was ranting on about their "success" when we were punted down the leagues.

I pointed out that their trophies were completely meaningless without competition, but they don't see it that way.

What's the point of a one horse race?

We will be back on top, it's not impossible for it to happen this season.
Whenever it comes, it will be all the more enjoyable.

Your last paragraph is a concern - nothing learned from the past and what got us to 2012, just hope some rich guy shows up and throws money at us.
Look mate I get that but the status quo mean we become Hearts with a bigger stadium and support. We're scraping around to buy players most of whom are either looking for an EPL move or are just not very good.
Every rich owner is not a Whyte or Green or Easdale. Some teams do have great people owning them who are wealthy and are not looking to asset strip the club.

Look mate I get that but the status quo mean we become Hearts with a bigger stadium and support. We're scraping around to buy players most of whom are either looking for an EPL move or are just not very good.
Every rich owner is not a Whyte or Green or Easdale. Some teams do have great people owning them who are wealthy and are not looking to asset strip the club.
You cant just bring in a rich owner who spends, are you aware of FFP or its latest guise?

Been at it since the 70’s. We had bad periods before but this recent one was worst for obvious reasons.
Thank god the people who have got involved in recent years made the sacrifices that they did. Yes of course if anyone with cash also wants to get involved then good as long as they are the right type and really care about the club. Never again let crooks in the front door at Ibrox
You never see the scum selling out to non Beggars.
We are getting there but we do keep shooting ourselves in the foot too at times. But we are getting there and need to back Clement, he is a strong man and can get us where we need to be.

If that's where we are, then so be it.

It won't change my support for Rangers one bit, which is something that seems to be missing in threads on here as people fall over themselves to declare they "despise", "hate", and "can't wait to see the back of" our team.

Like you and others, I supported us in the early 80s when we were shite, through the Souness, smith, Advocaat, and McLeish successes, Le Guen's unsuccessful period, the return of Walter, the highs of Manchester, and when we got papped down the leagues.

We nearly lost our club. I don't think people realise just how close we were to not having our team to support. I still showed up and roared Ross Perry, Argyriou, Faure, Simonsen, Black and the worst Rangers teams in my lifetime on against part time clubs without any hope of winning the tournaments that count.

I would do the same again any day.

I would not, however, look to jeopardize this club being here for future generations. You say not every rich owner is a Whyte, Green, or Easedale - while they fired the gun, it was Murray who loaded it and pointed it at our heads.

Maybe i take it too serious but im absolutely scunnered with it and its been ruining too many weekends for me in the last few years.
Wish i could just shrug off the defeats like some but its deep inside me and has been since the mid 70s.
Agreed pal. I want the scum to win nothing.

If that's where we are, then so be it.

It won't change my support for Rangers one bit, which is something that seems to be missing in threads on here as people fall over themselves to declare they "despise", "hate", and "can't wait to see the back of" our team.

Like you and others, I supported us in the early 80s when we were shite, through the Souness, smith, Advocaat, and McLeish successes, Le Guen's unsuccessful period, the return of Walter, the highs of Manchester, and when we got papped down the leagues.

We nearly lost our club. I don't think people realise just how close we were to not having our team to support. I still showed up and roared Ross Perry, Argyriou, Faure, Simonsen, Black and the worst Rangers teams in my lifetime on against part time clubs without any hope of winning the tournaments that count.

I would do the same again any day.

I would not, however, look to jeopardize this club being here for future generations. You say not every rich owner is a Whyte, Green, or Easedale - while they fired the gun, it was Murray who loaded it and pointed it at our heads.
We tend to swallow the story of anyone who comes along and says they are a Rangers supporter, or even non fans who praise us up.
Whyte was supposedly a fan at first eh, Green and the Asian guy went around supporters talking us up, massive club “ all day long” etc.
Don’t fall for it just because we could do with more funds. Once they are in the door it’s very difficult to get rats out. And Murray is a disgrace how he took a successful club when he came in and left it ruined when he left.

All the false dawns with this group of players has been especially hard to to take

I agree we could do with the sun shining on us for a change.

Tough for any Bear under 20,The last 12 years have been the worst domestic era in living memory and there is no prospect of it improving any time soon,
The grip the fhilth have in Scottish football is getting stronger season on season.

I often think to myself ‘why, oh why do I do this to myself?’. Other times I wonder, sometimes out loudly that I wish I had never become interested in football. I even, on occasions, genuinely think I really ‘hate’ football. I’d certainly be much much better off financially if I didn’t bother with it :))

Then I walk up Mafeking Street and the stadium enters my view. The singing when the team comes out, the cheering, that feeling when we win. That’s what makes it all worth while. Our heritage, our colours and the passion of 50,000 other supporters.

Life would be a boring old slog until you die if nothing could raise your BP and adrenaline levels a bit, and you didn’t have an absolute passion.

I remember the 73/74 season quite vividly .
We won nothing that year, and although we’ve won the league cup this season, I wouldn’t swap any of today’s team for the boys back then.
That said , I am an old nostalgic cant.

A good manager can have a huge effect. Gerrard managed to pull it off. Am hoping Clement makes up the difference next season. Money is key but we offer good money these days too. The right manager can make up the gap.

The last 12-13 years have been horrendous but all part of being a supporter.

Got to take the good with the bad as hard as it is at times.

Why is it a concern? He's only recognising the reality that in today's game money buys trophies. Hoping that someone with deep pockets would appear is a million miles from saying 'let's do EBT's again.

The toughest slog is often caused by reading or hearing the negativity spouted by entitled ‘supporters’ who fold at the least sign of a challenge while criticising the players for doing exactly the same.

The toughest slog is often caused by reading or hearing the negativity spouted by entitled ‘supporters’ who fold at the least sign of a challenge while criticising the players for doing exactly the same.
Maybe I am misunderstanding here.

Supporters are in it for life.
Players come and go but have a huge influence while here.
We are a ery critical support but on the other hand very loyal
All we ask for is a team to give their all.
We will never be able to buy a Messi etc. but if a player sweats blood for us, we can ask no more.
Too many of the current crop cannot or will not do that.
Unforgiveable ....hence the criticism
Rightly so

Well said mate, I was brought up being 2nd best and even 3rd & 4th to that lot, so this is nothing new to me.

Never even entered my mind to be anything else than a Rangers fan. Wasn't a choice and the long time I waited for a dominant run made it all the better, when it came around. Good days will return, as they always do.

That's all we can do mate, but it will happen. When? I can't say. I'll say this to younger fans, enjoy the good times to the full, when it comes round again, as it won't last forever. That's football.

It’s a point well made.

It is fucking tough. It’s an emotional slog.

You just have to hope, at some point, all this pain will make it all the sweeter.

55 offered some respite - I’d ready for my next dose.

Most frustrating thing for me is the rattlers can sit back and just wait on us collapsing. We see it season after season and the same culprits are responsible.

Since watching Rangers as a kid in the very early 70s to the present,I’ve been through every emotion possible..
Rangers are a drug to me and I will be addicted to the day I die.

Back