Jermaine Defoe scores at least 2 in that 2nd half

Defoe was there in our post winter break capitulations of previous years and made no difference but who knows?
This isn't true, last time Defoe got solid game time he actually carried us for a few week period while Alfie was out.

The problem then was Defoe ended up getting injuries regularly and we were missing him for the odd game or two (seems like the injury problem was worse than I remember, see below lol), as he was playing twice a week, but that was to be expected in his age. Goals were not the issue though.

Edit:

between 20th december and 1st february games (he was injured on 1/2), he scored 3 goals and 1 assist in the 5 games he played - one being 58 mins and one being 62, rest 90.

That was the last time he got any meaningful game time. If you look at the season after, he played 2 games more than 30 mins and a few of 15 min cameos.

Edit2: i see you mentioned post winter, in that case he's 2 goals 1 assist in the 3 games post winter break up until his injury last time he got any meaningful game time.

Last edited:
These are the facts that may come back to haunt gio, crazy decision letting this guy go, when these balls are bouncing about in the 6 yard box defoe was the man to put these teams to bed. Huge miss for us.

I think Roofe might have, not sure why hes not getting on, his face was like thunder during the Scottish cup game, I wonder if there is a fallout

Defoe is nearly 40 and can’t get into a dreadful Sunderland team in League 1.

A great guy who performed a solid role for us over a couple years, but he’s finished now as a footballer.

A shame we didn’t part ways with him last summer and use his wages to bring in someone new.

Defoe subbed off in the second half with his team 1-0 down to Burton Albion. Sunderland fans on Twitter pretty much unanimous in saying he barely did anything.

Right decision from Gio to let him go although we should have also shipped out Itten and brought a new striker in.

I still maintain that at Defoe’s age for him to have any use he needed to be consistently brought off the bench so that he stays sharp and match fit. At his age with such an inactive season, the lack of game time has probably resulted in him being finished beyond repair.

Wtfs the point in threads like this? We were meant to be clairvoyant enough to know we might need him 2 months after he left, for one single game where he might not have even got on? Or if he did even score anyway?

Honestly this type of logic is mental. You dont pay a 4th choice striker decent money incase one day you might need him.

the point is they generate discussion and this is a discussion forum, it's basically how they work. If no one posted threads stating an opinion, we wouldn't have a forum.

Shocking decision to let him go,a good option to put on the last 20mins in any game we were chasing a goal.

These are the facts that may come back to haunt gio, crazy decision letting this guy go, when these balls are bouncing about in the 6 yard box defoe was the man to put these teams to bed. Huge miss for us.
You’re assuming he’d be in the position to score them!
That’s a major assumption.
Remember, Gerrard wasn’t playing him either.

the point is they generate discussion and this is a discussion forum, it's basically how they work. If no one posted threads stating an opinion, we wouldn't have a forum.

Im very aware. But what exactly was the point of suggesting a player, no longer with us, who wasnt even getting into match day squads when he was here, would have been the difference? He was on tv at times while we were playing. Anyway, i made that comment a while ago, so not sure why we are going over it anyway.

So could McCoist, Boyd, Jelavic, Novo and several other players that used to play for us

Still doesn’t change the outcome and the poor 1st half we dominated but still gave them a goal start

Im very aware. But what exactly was the point of suggesting a player, no longer with us, who wasnt even getting into match day squads when he was here, would have been the difference? He was on tv at times while we were playing. Anyway, i made that comment a while ago, so not sure why we are going over it anyway.

Going over it as i have only just seen it and as stated previously, everyone is entitled to an opinion whether others find it ridiculous or not. A lot of people on this forum find it difficult to accept the opinion of others without being very rude about it.

He's still better than Itten.
I would genuinely play a few players in our team out of position up front ahead of Itten after his pitiful performances in January.

Genuinely serious when I say I’d rather see Tav and Balogun up front when we’re in desperate need for a goal instead of Itten.

Defoe hit a blank for Sunderland tonight and was hooked after 70 mins. Lowest ranked player on the pitch via Fotmob.

He has much more to give to football. We should have kept him in Glasgow.

What does this mean exactly?

Because if it’s not sticking the ball in the back of the net for us I’m not sure what value he would bring to justify the extra wage.

Clearly the coaching stuff didn’t work out for one reason or another, what else is he going to do?

Back