Official Leon Balogun - Welcome (back) to Rangers

Who's to say we won't be bringing in a left sided defender? Balogun has been brought in to replace King as back up. That's one thing we didn't have last season. Back up and especially with experience. It's 1 year deal on a free with minimal wages. You need to remember we are going through a massive overhaul of the squad aswell. Not every signing can be a 1st team starter. It's a squad game.

I too, can remember revisits. Yes, some didn't go well but others did. Who's to say how this will work out? We might never need Balogun or it could be some shrewd business.

Goldson hasn't been ruled out of the CL qualifiers. Not yet, anyway. If you listen to Beale, he said he will be ready for the start of the season all going well.
I suppose my fear is rather than Leon joining, is that the club view him as an integral part of the squad and don't sign the much needed centre back that will challenge what we have. That frightens me knowing what happened last season.

I suppose my fear is rather than Leon joining, is that the club view him as an integral part of the squad and don't sign the much needed centre back that will challenge what we have. That frightens me knowing what happened last season.
I think Beales interview on the signing suggests otherwise

Welcome back Leon. I know you will give your all. From time to time that exceeded our expectations the last time around.

if It wasn’t for Gio, I think Gerrard & Beale would have kept him on, he’s a handy player to have imo

Loved the big man first time round. This time round if he can perform at the same level it will still be lots of man love.

What’s wit?

Aye, it was a bit of light hearted fun but Lowry didn’t look like he was having fun did he? A young lad should be aiming to make a good impression with things like this. He didn’t look interested in fulfilling his obligations.
It's hardly an obligation is it? A guy sticks a camera in his face and asks him a daft question.

Welcome home. Yes he is older but regardless of all you stats padders out there, if theres imminent danger hes trying to deal with it, if theres a goal post in the way hes clattering himself off it for the team.

Quite a shrewd move tbh.

Leon King was clearly supposed to be getting a certain amount of playing time this season. With him out, it leaves a gap for someone who's maybe not going to be in starting 11 but will get some game time.

Might as well be someone we know can be relied on, knows the club and has played alongside the majority our main defenders. He'll slot light into the squad and will presumably be on fairly low wages as well.

I do hope we move Davies on and bring in someone who is a clear starter in the left centre back position though.

Someone left sided - as I said and my strategy isn't for a 5th ranked player. I want the strategy to be dynamic and someone to challenge number 1 & 2, settling for an ageing player on his second visit doesn't deliver this. I am old enough to recall a few revisits and I honestly can't recall anyone being value for money.

If you look at the strongest 2 out of the 4 CB before today imo - Goldson, Souttar, Davies, King. Davies is the weakest remaining, but the only one who is a leftie, and therefore gives greater shape.

Goldson is out of the CL qualifiers so its going to be Davies and Souttar to start, both are good passers of the ball and hit a lot of diagonals, Big Leon isn't that type of player. So if we need him because of further injuries, you have to ask is he good enough to start play, fast enough and reliable.
And I am talking as someone who genuinely liked him.

According to our manager, Goldson isn’t out of the CL Qualifiers.

Watching his interview on RTV it does seem like this was all done very quickly and is in reaction to Kings injury. So this just puts the plans back on track and tbh might actually be a better option than King.

Welcome back big man.

Welcome back - i will never understand why he was let go by Van Bronckhorst in the first place when he blatantly didnt want to go and we didnt have enough centre backs - thats why we were playing in the UCL with James Sands and Leon King at CB.

He'll be a great signing. Knows the club. Bags of experience. A consulate professional and will be a great influence on the younger lads in the dressing room. And I'm sure he can still put in a decent performance when required. Welcome home Leon.

I like him, but ehh, it’s not exactly the type of signing I was hoping for if I’m honest. Not really a surprising one either mind.

to say he looked overjoyed to be back is an understatement :))
Wonder if Dessers had a heads up before anyone else in the squad

If someone said Balogun will replace Leon King who will get a serious injury, it would receive a different reaction. Context
I choose to think of it like this, if Gerrard & Beale had not left for Villa, I think LB would have got an extension to his contract, it was Gio who didn’t rate him, Beale always did

Because it isn't. Not every signing had to be a first 11 play 50 games a year type of signing. It's a depth signing.
You only have depth if the player you sign can stay fit which is unlikely. Beale must have a brilliant centre half signing on the way because apart what he might bring to the dressing room in terms of helping some of the new guys settle, impact on the pitch is what has cost us the past two seasons by playing guys past it like McGregor whilst others who didn't want to be here.

A brilliant signing he is not, anyone posting that is either deluded or is doing the upmost to try and convince themselves otherwise. 90% on here prior to any sniff of this deal would be thinking this isn't taking us forward and a backwards step. Our only hope is that we score 5 or 6 a game because at the moment our defence isn't any stronger at all given the injury list.

Quite a shrewd move tbh.

Leon King was clearly supposed to be getting a certain amount of playing time this season. With him out, it leaves a gap for someone who's maybe not going to be in starting 11 but will get some game time.

Might as well be someone we know can be relied on, knows the club and has played alongside the majority our main defenders. He'll slot light into the squad and will presumably be on fairly low wages as well.

I do hope we move Davies on and bring in someone who is a clear starter in the left centre back position though.

This was organised before Leon's injury. I suspect that he was going to go out on loan.

This is cover plain and simple

As many have said, mental that he left! We seen what it meant to him when he was released.

Have no fear with him being used as and when solid reliable and totally under rated.

Welcome home Leon

Very happy with this, writes a wrong imo.

Will slot in effortlessly and help us get the season started in the right fashion until Goldson is up to speed and we will have great cover thereafter.

Still think we will sign Trusty or Panzo so should have plenty of options next season.

He’s got a great attitude and his presence around the place will be important. If he’s our 4th cb and we upgrade Davis it’ll be a sensible signing. If he is a starter or 1st reserve to Souttar we’re going to be soft in the middle when they’re both inevitably injured

Safe to say that if MB had been manager this time last year instead of GVB big Leon would never have left

Welcome Home Leon

Back