Let's get behind Dessers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dessers has our support but he could h e had a double hatrick today
This is the problem the 5 nill hearts game as well he could have had 4/5 alone

The games he will get 1/2 chances he is missing

Ross County just before half time easy chance it first time he took extra touch keeper saves we go in 2-0 at half time is a different game second half

Even his goals today yes well taken but his second should have been in the net first time not at 2nd chance

He's a decent big player but he is not good enough for us

His, finishing is costing us

Dessers is our best bet up front for the rest of the season, we need to back him. Forget whether he's good enough to be our main striker next season, right now he's our number 9.

He WILL be shite at times, he WILL miss sitters, he WILL have poor games, but he is ALL we've got right now - forget Roofe, he's done. Dessers will score goals in the run-in and if we get behind him maybe he'll score even more.
100%. Let's get behind him and everyone else for the remainder of this season. But he, like many others, then need shifted. Miles off good enough.

Folk saying that he should be on double what he is :)) Can't remember many Rangers strikers being on almost 40 goals for the season, and there's been many in much better Rangers sides that created way more chances than this one.

I am 100% behind Dessers but he is rotten .
19 goals scored it should be at least double that .
If he was rotten he wouldn’t have scored 19. We’ve had rotten strikers in the past that have got nowhere near that figure in their 1st season. When was the last striker to score 38 in a season with us? He’s not the best but he’s a trier that could have collapsed under criticism. He’s kept going and his goals have kept us in with a shout in all competitions. He deserves a bit more credit.

Dessers is our best bet up front for the rest of the season, we need to back him. Forget whether he's good enough to be our main striker next season, right now he's our number 9.

He WILL be shite at times, he WILL miss sitters, he WILL have poor games, but he is ALL we've got right now - forget Roofe, he's done. Dessers will score goals in the run-in and if we get behind him maybe he'll score even more.
He’s gonna score a hatrick against them in the final you know. B-)

This is the problem the 5 nill hearts game as well he could have had 4/5 alone

The games he will get 1/2 chances he is missing

Ross County just before half time easy chance it first time he took extra touch keeper saves we go in 2-0 at half time is a different game second half

Even his goals today yes well taken but his second should have been in the net first time not at 2nd chance

He's a decent big player but he is not good enough for us

His, finishing is costing us
His finishing is the reason we are in the final. He isn’t a great technical player and never will be. But a striker who gives his all every game, has scored big goals in Europe, the only goals in a domestic semi final and 19 goals in his first season is a good return. He had a god awful start to the campaign when he returned from an injury he wasn’t fully over and as a result not fully fit, and is still our best performing striker. Every single striker in world football misses sitters against lesser opposition and in big games. Complete nonsense to suggest otherwise. Morelos missed sitters for us, so did players like Jelavic, Prso, Boyd, going further back Hateley and McCoist missed sitters too.

So pleased for him. He'll never be great and can sometimes look a bit awkward but sometimes players just need more time than others. to really settle. He's more than worth a place in the squad.

Should never be dropped he is our best striker.

He's having an okay season considering we create very little, no idea if he will stay.

Understand he has major flaws but he generally steps up when others don't.
He’ll probably break the 20 goal mark for the season and end it as our highest scorer. I doubt he’ll be looking to leave or that we’ll be looking to sell.

Danilo had also to return but with Roofe leaving there will be the opportunity to add another striker.

I doubt it’ll be Shankland, but can see a younger player coming in to challenge the aforementioned pair for a starting spot.

He is so up and down its unbelievable. But, i back him to fire us to the title.

He is a better footballer than Lawrence Shankland.

He's obviously a limited player but he's our best option at the moment. His stats are decent enough that we should be able to offload him for a few million this Summer and upgrade.

Regardless of his failings,he never hides,works hard and not the first to have a patchy first season.
Super took a bit of stick in his first season.

Since 1959 season (according to Transfermarkt), Dessers is now 14th on the list of Top scoring forwards for a single season.

3 of those strikers ahead of him are from our time in the lower leagues (so not top division).

With 6 games left in the season. Dessers could conceivably finish second in the top 10 EVER in the top division.

Based on our own long history, the odds of us signing a striker with a better return than the Nigerian Nightmare is very slim.

I don’t get the hate, people are completely irrational towards him.

Since 1959 season (according to Transfermarkt), Dessers is now 14th on the list of Top scoring forwards for a single season.

3 of those strikers ahead of him are from our time in the lower leagues (so not top division).

With 6 games left in the season. Dessers could conceivably finish second in the top 10 EVER in the top division.

Based on our own long history, the odds of us signing a striker with a better return than the Nigerian Nightmare is very slim.

I don’t get the hate, people are completely irrational towards him.
Exactly. I am both amazed and saddened by how much venom has been aimed on here at a Rangers striker that has just scored 2 goals in a semi-final to win us the game. To me its just bonkers.

Not the best striker we've had or will have,but he never hides or gives up,we'll done big man
Considering the lack of alternative (danilo)and the permanently injured roofe,he's been more or less on his own all season, he gets my support gor as long as he's here

Exactly. I am both amazed and saddened by how much venom has been aimed on here at a Rangers striker that has just scored 2 goals in a semi-final to win us the game. To me its just bonkers.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who can watch him for a whole season missing chance after chance, looking like he hasn't seen a football at times and costing us in old firms then see him score a couple yesterday and allow that to warp their opinion and come on here surprised that other people have memories longer than a gold fish.

Last edited:
Feel like this gets trotted out by people purely because other people say it.

He didn’t miss any particularly glaring opportunities today, I’m going to watch football later with better strikers than Dessers who I guarantee you will miss a couple of chances.

What is a decent number Rangers number 9?

Every striker I can recall for Rangers misses more than they scored, except Boyd who was an absolute freak when it came to finishing.
To be honest, I thought his all round game was well below par yesterday. It really riles me how such a unit of a guy has so little aggression to his game - he seriously barely laid a glove on either Hearts centre half’s in aerial duels or 50-50s.

Yes, he got two goals but he’s incredibly hesitant in front of goal. He seems to want to take too much touches before getting a shot away. This will cost us I fear.

That being said, and as others have alluded, he never hides. He’s a big amiable fellow, and of course I’m right behind him.

And I hope his decent tally for the season might interest a few suitors willing to part with a few million in the summer.

Dessers must know what many Rangers fans think of him, and yet he carries on, puts in a shift, and scores a decent number of goals. Wonder how much better he’d be if he knew he had the backing of all Rangers fans.
People talk about weak mentalities and such in the squad but there’s no way you can say that about Dessers. I really like him and the majority of the criticism he gets is ridiculous and unfair, no striker in the world takes every chance they get and I firmly believe the guy is always in the right places at the right times. Scored plenty of goals this season in key games at key moments. He’s very unlucky to not have had a goal or assist in pretty much every OF game this season also.

He certainly lost form over the last month so it's a relief to see him back scoring in time for the final run in. Ideally, when a player is off the boil you rotate him with another player but we haven't had a single other fit striker to put in there. Couldn't even try Silva in there because of injuries in the LW area as well

In the end we're lucky that Dessers has stayed fit because the league would have already been long gone without him and his goals since the turn of the year.

It's not I like him big honest player and will score goals where he gets chances and where fans leave space for him to run into.

The problem is other parts off his game and at his age im not sure he can change.

When he gets limited chances or a big chance he invariably over thinks it ie Ross County/ scum in December even benfica at home.

He takes an extra touch when he doesn't need to.

His hold up play is really really bad ie non existent but in fairness to him it's not his game his running and pressing is good and is a worker.

Against packed defences and low blocks he is rarely going to be the answer.

There's a place for him in the squad and for certain games but we also need a different type of striker if we can't get a striker who can do both.

Just need a good run of 6 games from him which he is capable of. He is also capable of being very bad but I wouldn't want Roofe or Silva playing there instead.

I do start to wonder whether some Rangers fans actually want Dessers to succeed.

There appears to be a small group who, whatever he does and however often he scores, will always find some mad reason to say he's not good enough.
he had a poor start to the season under Beale when recovering from injury and I think that some people made up their minds then that he was rubbish and nothing will sway them from that view. My opinion for what it's worth, is that he is certainly not rubbish but he is inconsistent. However, that can be said for most players outside the superstar bracket that we cannot afford. He will miss chances, as every striker does, even superstars, but is a valuable member of the squad that should be supported by every rangers fan while he plays for us.

The thing with Dessers, is he’s such a likeable bloke. He comes across so well in interviews and is genuinely a nice guy, which Clement even alluded to post match last week. He said something along the lines of Cyriel is a nice guy, too nice sometimes, and he needs to work harder to be “a killer”.

19 goals though, most often than not with dross either side of him in the front 3. Aye he misses a ton of chances, but if he scores all those plus what he has, chances are he wouldn’t be at Rangers.

He is so up and down its unbelievable. But, i back him to fire us to the title.

He is a better footballer than Lawrence Shankland.
Couldn't care less if he's a better footballer, what he's not is a better striker.

Positioning, awareness, anticipation, instinct, composure, addressing the ball left foot, right foot, heading. In every aspect of the striker position, Shankland is markedly better player.

Couldn't care less if he's a better footballer, what he's not is a better striker.

Positioning, awareness, anticipation, instinct, composure, addressing the ball left foot, right foot, heading. In every aspect of the striker position, Shankland is markedly better player.
Shankland is a better finisher. But, there is a reason dessers has played for the clubs he has played for and shankland has played for the clubs he has played for. He is a better player. Shankland has had a purple patch in the top league for the last 18 months that looks over now and he was awful at st mirren and the sheep. And in Belgium

Absolute enigma of a player 19 goals but sometimes you’re watching him through your fingers. Can’t really fault him for constantly getting more shots away when many lose their head after a few sitters and howlers.

I'm really not a fan of his at all but one thing I will say is he's robust. Small praise I know but at least he's fit every week unlike Roofe, Matondo, Jack, Ridvan etc who seem quite content to be on the treatment table and shaft the fans and their colleagues.

If he played across the city he’d be £40 million rated with his record

Remember they had a striker previously that scored a lot of penalties for club and the French under 21’s and everyone in Europe allegedly wanted him , his record wasn’t as good as Dessers

The thing that I’ve always found disappointing in any of our strikers and forward line and it highlights how bad it has been for a while now is our right back has out scored most of them.

I think I’m right in saying Tav is only 4 goals behind Shankland in league goals this seasons, I’d love our RB to be the leagues top scorer if I’m right I’m sure he has 17 and Shankland 21. For me that would be an amazing achievement but on the other hand it would highlight how ineffective we are up front and definitely needs addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back