Let's give the players a blank slate.

Every player must earn the right to play for the team and win the managers trust.

They've eroded so much of the fans trust in 2 years, so no, don't think it's a clean slate at all. The older serial losers in the squad need chased but that will have to wait until Summer. For now there are two cups to win.

The start to this season is on Beale for me, the players have the blank slate as far as I'm concerned.

Let's get behind them all and let the new gaffer see what he gets out of them.
You’re really living up to your name here!
The manager himself won’t get a clean slate!

I love how we count the "blank slates" against them but give them zero credit for those who were involved in 55 or the Europa League final
It's getting boring now all we talk about is past glories & even then one you mentioned was a defeat the 55 season was a treble for the taking but again they shat it , no this ageing squad is done & have performed poorly in the most part especially in the domestic front , they used up their credit a long time ago .

Every player must earn the right to play for the team and win the managers trust.

They've eroded so much of the fans trust in 2 years, so no, don't think it's a clean slate at all. The older serial losers in the squad need chased but that will have to wait until Summer. For now there are two cups to win.
Three, plus a league.

The players do t get a clean slate

They shamed us all with their performances v Aberdeen abd aris especially

They are serial losers they need shipped

The new manager has the balls to do this he needs to see who wants to be winners and who doesn’t

No blank slate for the players from me.
Sooner Clement breaks it all up, and moves a swathe of them on the better. For himself and for us.
Okay, he’s got a dozen or so games that he’s stuck with them for, including three opportunities to prove to most of the support that they might have something.
Winning the league cup and the EL group, on top of maximum points in the league, including a win at their midden, should buy them some time.
A tall order, and I agree that change is needed anyway, but achieving this would make the season, and their legacy, at least salvageable.

Don't be ridiculous. The new man comes in and does not have a transfer window for a couple of months, do you think he'll have a better chance to succeed if we get behind his squad of players as they are now or if we boo them off the park at half time?

I'll never accept being second best, and how you got that from my post is an absolute mystery to me.
Let's be honest the new manager (any manager for that matter) isn't going to succeed until he gets rid of these players, I'm sorry I can't give the same players who've got multiple managers sacked, downed tools more times than a workie, been part of multiple batterings off them and blown multiple cups . I'm just waiting until January so we can start binning them.

We are where we are because we keep giving these same players a clean slate when a new manager comes in.

The start to this season is on Beale for me, the players have the blank slate as far as I'm concerned.

For the players who have just come in you're absolutely right, but for players who have had a "blank slate" about 6 times now with new managers I think I'll struggle, we still need big changes

You're right the start of the season is definitely on Beale, mainly because he bought shite players for big money. Giving them a clean slate will lose us games and potentially trophies. Maybe a couple of them deserve a chance but some are done.

Nope. Devine, Sterling, Rice, Lovelace and McCausland should be given opportunities to develop into first team players. Those out of contract at the end of the season should be on the fringe of the squad.

Nope, no time for sentiment. There are players in there that have had at least one clean state already and that's being very generous.

Business as usual after Dessers first poor touch haha I'll give it till Christmas before writing folk off. Plenty time to settle to the new manager/playing system.

I have got no confidence in any of the players when the pressure is on, hopefully when all our players are back from injury we will make it to january, then I think philip will have to off load a couple of players, and use the funds to try and strengthen defence and up front, ideally get what we can for lammers, dessers and balogun and bring in one good defender and one good attacker to see us to end of the season.

I think that ship has sailed sadly. We are not able to forget the constant failure of some. The new Manager will have to read the room very quickly in that respect and see what he can salvage. But it cannot be everyone

There is a lot of misplaced faith in the idea players are ready to turn the corner, age and a lack of talent is highly unlikely to be resolved as a consequence of coaching

The likes of Tav, Barisic and Goldson are just aged now, they have played a lot of football.

Lammers and Dessers are supposed untapped talent coaches and teams have been trying to unlock for a few years now, it's entirely possible (highly likely) they actually are just a bit pish

Other than an odd exception, the players who will likely "work" under a new coach are already just really obvious.

Some people seem annoyed that the OP wants what's clearly best for the club.
Alternatively you can ignore the obvious that the ones we are talking about mostly have failed multiple managers and the support time after time after time. There is a common denominator here.

It's the same group of players that have had numerous blank slates that continue to let us down. That is just as bad if not worse than the mistakes of the last couple of managers. Yes the managers had their failings but an awful lot of our struggles is down to this bunch of players. Trusting these players again and again is what is costing us. We need to move on.

If Clement gives them a chance then we as fans have to back him but if he's not careful he'll be in the same position next year as Gio and Beale.

Moving these players on is what is needed but unfortunately we will have to be patient over a couple of transfer windows as it won't happen overnight.

Getting rid of most of them won't be easy and getting a tune out of most of them will also be a hard slog.

Get their fitness levels up and take it from there. If we can get some of them to run 6 yards in a forward direction towards the opposition goal then that will be a start.

There are a few being played out of position. I'm hoping that somehow this may be all that is wrong with at least a few of them. It's an absolute shit show and Beale has been the cause of it all.
I suppose the board need to take some of the blame for firstly being fooled by him and secondly not stepping in to stop it or at least get a DOF in to help sort it out.

Or they've been managed incorrectly
Hopefully that will be the case for a few of them and they will step up for Clement. That would be a bonus.

I am fed up living in hope and then wakening up with sore balls but I just can't help myself.

Right now, I'd rather see Rice instead of Lundstrum, Lovelace instead of Dessers and McCausland instead of Lammers. Let King play next to Goldson, make Yilmaz first choice LB. Even that team should be able to win to win the LC. I'd happily right off the league right now in exchange for players who are worthy of the effort to train them and us support them.

What's the expectation for Clement then if the consensus is that the players we've got aren't good enough? Presumably if results continue to be shite then Clement won't carry that can for it if it's not possible to get a tune out of what we've got?

What's the expectation for Clement then if the consensus is that the players we've got aren't good enough? Presumably if results continue to be shite then Clement won't carry that can for it if it's not possible to get a tune out of what we've got?
Middle to front I think we will be fine,we have options and newer players get the chance. Keeper we are dine,it's that fkn defence.its done,its stake,they don't have it anymore (based on what on what they did have). Enough is enough, January's priority for me is steadying the right side of defence and shipping some players out if possible.

Right now, I'd rather see Rice instead of Lundstrum, Lovelace instead of Dessers and McCausland instead of Lammers. Let King play next to Goldson, make Yilmaz first choice LB. Even that team should be able to win to win the LC. I'd happily right off the league right now in exchange for players who are worthy of the effort to train them and us support them.
That would be an awful partnership.

Ideally I would want two starting centre halves to be signed in January.

Getting rid of most of them won't be easy and getting a tune out of most of them will also be a hard slog.

Get their fitness levels up and take it from there. If we can get some of them to run 6 yards in a forward direction towards the opposition goal then that will be a start.

There are a few being played out of position. I'm hoping that somehow this may be all that is wrong with at least a few of them. It's an absolute shit show and Beale has been the cause of it all.
I suppose the board need to take some of the blame for firstly being fooled by him and secondly not stepping in to stop it or at least get a DOF in to help sort it out.
A January clear-out won't happen. Particularly the guys that have just arrived.

Middle to front I think we will be fine, we have options and newer players get the chance. Keeper we are dine,it's that fkn defence.its done,its stake,they don't have it anymore (based on what on what they did have). Enough is enough, January's priority for me is steadying the right side of defence and shipping some players out if possible.
We don't score enough goals, we haven't been scoring enough goals for a few seasons, pay attention.

Blank slate ??? Give them a game at he training centre. The Boss will see them in full flight, might save us the embarrassment of watching some of them against Hibs at the weekend

We don't score enough goals, we haven't been scoring enough goals for a few seasons, pay attention.
Your attitude to fellow posters on this and other threads is disgraceful but I will humour you.

We have plenty in midfield and attack right at the present time to get by and allow the new manager to decide. It can be changes, assessed and mixed up to suit. We are hamstrung by an old defence, predictble and prone to the same errors season after season month after month game after game. Plodders in this league know this,being out thought by some of the dross in this league is humiliation for our defenders let alone us.

There are a few players getting a "blank slate" for me, whose performance dropped drastically under Beale at the start of this season.

But can't give others a pass who've been here for multiple years and continue to make same mistakes etc.

Hoping the manager comes in and makes a few changes

A January clear-out won't happen. Particularly the guys that have just arrived.
I am with you, I can't see either the money or the appetite for a wide clear out regardless of what we think. That's why I really hope Clement looks at what Walter did in his first transfer window back. He brought in 3 new players (2 on loan) for defence and midfield (Weir, Ehiogu, Thomson) and it set the tone for the rest of that campaign and then the successes that followed. Thats what we need now - 2 new defenders and a midfield general. Bring them in January even on loan. A CB to rival/replace Goldson (or at least a solid partner for him), a right back that can defend and a midfield replacement for Jack and Lundstram. That alone will be enough to see us successful. Even if Dessers and Lammers don't come good, we still have enough firepower between Danilo, Roofe, Lawrence, Cantwell, Sima, Matondo to win the league and cups. A Thomson type player would win us that midfield. In Ridvan and Devine there is competition for Borna. And a new RB / CB would settle the defence and build from the back.

And that for me is not an unreasonable expectation for the transfer window. A solid CB perhaps on loan, a midfield general for a few £m and a proper right back (again maybe on loan with an option to buy!). Recall Hagi or Lowry for a bit of flair and hopefully sell a few of the squad players who are past it.

Your attitude to fellow posters on this and other threads is disgraceful but I will humour you.

We have plenty in midfield and attack right at the present time to get by and allow the new manager to decide. It can be changes, assessed and mixed up to suit. We are hamstrung by an old defence, predictble and prone to the same errors season after season month after month game after game. Plodders in this league know this,being out thought by some of the dross in this league is humiliation for our defenders let alone us.
Your attitude to the captain of Rangers Fc is disgraceful, but I will humour you.

The forwards don’t score enough, the midfield don’t score or assist enough, this has been a problem for years, if you think Dessers and Lammers are going to change that god help us.
Go and look at previous league tables, it’s staring you right in the face.

Sadly I think a lot of the players are the glaring issue at the club.

We need to move them on when they can and Clement needs to be ruthless, we have been missing that for a long time.

Your attitude to the captain of Rangers Fc is disgraceful, but I will humour you.

The forwards don’t score enough, the midfield don’t score or assist enough, this has been a problem for years, if you think Dessers and Lammers are going to change that god help us.
Go and look at previous league tables, it’s staring you right in the face.
Tavs performances for the club who pays his wages have been abject. Tell me I'm wrong, still haven't managed to. I asked you to point to him specifically and you can't.

New manager can give them a clean slate if he wants, however, the likes of Dessers and Lammers need to do a he'll of a lot to get any credit in the bank from me. I know they won't lose any sleep over that statement, however, that's where I'm at and I know quite a few feel the same.

All these players will get another chance, even those who dont deserve it because no new Manager is going to come in and chuck out the establishment in the first week, turning to the development squad for fresh ideas.

Clement has already talked about small, incremental improvements so expect to see much the same Rangers XI in the coming weeks then its up to those involved to take their chance(s).

In time I hope he realises the vast majority of these players need to leave and that he casts more than a glance at the talent inhouse but for now hes going to use whats failed before.

At least he seems confident in what he wants to do and how to go about it, that brings an instant improvement.

By the Summer he should have a very good idea of whos not needed going forward.

Then the real blank slate begins.

I think some will and some will be tolerated then away at the season end or Jan.

Can’t see lundstram, borna or jack being kept at season end.

Roofe possibly.

Dessers and Lammers need a fucking rocket

Tav and goldson need to forget what’s gone on before, they haven’t performed so finger out or they’re away too.

Would like mcausland, rice and Lovelace (and Lowry in Jan) to get time on pitch and kit 3 mins here and there.

They can’t be worse than what we’ve seen but if they aren’t good enough then sell too

I know it's all with good intentions but can we now agree the time for goodwill to those players who have been letting us down for years, as well as those who are just basically shite, is well and truly over?

And this still applies even if we still somehow pull this out the bag.

Back