Losers Mentality?

Surely we should at least expect to get to the showpiece final more than once? Especially considering we’ve never had to face Celtic before the final in any of those seasons. Doesn’t really do much to dispel the myth that they’re a group of chokers does it?

1 final in 7. That’s absolutely fucking pish.
I always make a similar kind of point. We won two trophies in 2008. None of us gave a fuck by and large in comparison to losing the league on the last day of the season and Manchester. It's been given some mythical 'necessary' status now because they've won four relatively meaningless quadruples in a row while the gap between them and a team that literally had to start from nothing was being bridged every single year. I obviously want Rangers to win cups but if it was that or a decent European run every season (which we've had and then some) I'd pick Europe every time. In an ideal world we'd have all four but even Celtic were a laughing stock in Europe while hoovering up domestic ones.

Could’ve, would’ve, should’ve.
The point is we didn’t.
Forwards sauntering back onside when play breaks down, then getting caught offside when we regain the ball.
Forwards and midfield slashing at everything, a shot on target ratio that beggars belief and a complete lack of composure in shooting positions.
If a player can’t kick a ball on target he shouldn’t be there to start with, rested or not.
Miss a sitter “Oh, I’m sorry, I was playing last Thursday and %^*& me it’s Sunday now, I can’t cope”
The offside bit drives me mad. Alfie done it for years now.

I always make a similar kind of point. We won two trophies in 2008. None of us gave a fuck by and large in comparison to losing the league on the last day of the season and Manchester. It's been given some mythical 'necessary' status now because they've won four relatively meaningless quadruples in a row while the gap between them and a team that literally had to start from nothing was being bridged every single year. I obviously want Rangers to win cups but if it was that or a decent European run every season (which we've had and then some) I'd pick Europe every time. In an ideal world we'd have all four but even Celtic were a laughing stock in Europe while hoovering up domestic ones.
It doesn’t have to be one or the other though. The bottom line here is that when we have a chance for silverware they can’t seem to do it barring one season where we’ve ended up with a mammoth lead early doors, even if we’re up against Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, St Mirren etc. I think cup success is always important at Rangers, and prior to winning 55 it could have given us a boost that maybe would have seen us go on in the league campaign in a more respectable manner. As it happened, we fell away in pretty poor fashion in the league twice. First time is entirely forgivable, second time wasn’t, and the repeated cup failures and current league form certainly aren’t.

It doesn’t have to be one or the other though. The bottom line here is that when we have a chance for silverware they can’t seem to do it barring one season where we’ve ended up with a mammoth lead early doors, even if we’re up against Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, St Mirren etc. I think cup success is always important at Rangers, and prior to winning 55 it could have given us a boost that maybe would have seen us go on in the league campaign in a more respectable manner. As it happened, we fell away in pretty poor fashion in the league twice. First time is entirely forgivable, second time wasn’t, and the repeated cup failures and current league form certainly aren’t.
I'm quite confident in saying that if we'd won every cup and done nothing in Europe, you'd be making the opposite argument.

They are bottle merchants. It's that simple. People won't like hearing it and point out some results in isolation but over the course of the last 4 season the only season we've performed well is when our main rivals wanted to shoot their board and were attacking them with barriers.
One winners medal in so many years tells you they have a losers mentality. They get anywhere near a cup final and they shit themselves.
It’s s good job the t@rriers imploded last season or they’d be looking at 11 in a row. Fcukin shameful.
Exactly this

Today is nothing to do with mentality. We scored 4 goals, potentially one was offside but the second looked on.

If we had replaced the keeper months ago, like plenty of people were begging for, we'd be sitting comfortably at the top of the league. Yet again we're discussing him because he's the problem.

"Aye but he made a save against Dortmund" - big fucking deal. Liam Kelly made more saves today than McGregor has all season.

If Gio sticks with him after this then it'll cost us the league and him his job.

I don’t think they have a losers mentality, I think they believe they can get away with coasting through games and still get a result. The word describing last seasons success was relentless, we need this now.

I'm quite confident in saying that if we'd won every cup and done nothing in Europe, you'd be making the opposite argument.
I’m quite confident that’s a load of nonsense. And again, it doesn’t have to be one or the other, continuing on talking as though it’s domestic cups OR Europe just seems like a feeble way to excuse the complete lack of bottle these players have shown for most of their time here. With each passing year it becomes more and more apparent that they’re much more comfortable playing in games where we aren’t heavy favourites to win - i.e Europe

I don't think anyone could've reasonably expected us to win trophies against them in the first (and possibly second) of those 4 years but the revisionism around it from the permanently doom and gloom types is always good to hear. I won't sit here and say remember where we were 5 years ago forever but I feel it's still pretty relevant when discussing the point you've made here at least.
I'm not going to say 'look where we've been' losing to Stirling Albion etc, but when we've had a chance to make a real dent on the title after the winter break in previous years, they've chucked it. You have to look at the common denominator in all of it. Okay, previously they were new and learning, but after winning the title and resorting to type, you can't say it's coincidence. It's the players not having the mental fortitude to take on the title fight

I'm going to get stick for this.. possibly even a ban but this squad of players genuinely disgust me.

I have no time for the majority of them, a softer team of players you'll struggle to find.

Guys like Kamara, Aribo, Kent are all talented but the nice guys win fu.ck all.

This has been an issue going back 3/4 seasons now, when it's crunch time we crumble.

I include last season.. we completely bottled 2 domestic trophies in a season where we had no real competition which was unacceptable.

I always laugh when idiots on here compare this team to any of Walters teams in these daft threads that always pop up.

Walters team would beat our current team over a full season 10 times out of 10.. they had balls of steel which this lot lack massively.

Give me a shout when this season is over.
I am glad you said this first because it mirrors my thoughts exactly and I was still saying the same last season as well by the way.

I can’t accept a soft Rangers team. I just can’t.

Our goalkeeper and centre halves have combined to cost us about a dozen points this year. The rest of the team have functioned okay for the most part. I'd like is to be more clinical but we do still score a load of goals. If I was an opposition manager I'd get a big guy up top and hit it into the box at every opportunity because you'll get a shot away.

I feel sorry for the players who are having to work so hard to bail out that shocking core of defence.

I think this squad are fucked mentally.

Can perform as underdogs in Europe but don’t have the balls for a title race. That was a genuine disgrace.

Need a total clearout of the nucleus. Need winners in there.
This in a nutshell. The love some have for this sqaud despite the regularity in which they have let us down is bizarre to me. So many things went in their favour to secure 55.

30 shots at goal for 2 goals. Morelos is up there with Eduard levels of over-rated, our goalie and defence are costing us, TBH the quicker Goldson goes the better, hoping Hellander and Soutar next season with McLaughlin stops this.
Worse when you think that actually in last two league games it is something like 60 shots and 3 goals.

I’m now convinced more than ever that no fans last season massively helped us

Our team is so mentally weak it’s painful - they thought last season was the pinnacle and they’d reached immortality

I’m now done trying to mitigate stuff with Gio. I’ll continue to support the team as I have done my whole life but he’s never good enough to be a Rangers manager
You’ll be popular on KDS.
By the way, is that not as sad an indictment of the fans as the players?

Pathetic thread. We could’ve scored 7.
Defending awful.
Manager takes the can expecting some of those players to play another 90 mins after Thursday. Arfield for example
One of the worst I’ve read on the board.

You’ll be popular on KDS.
By the way, is that not as sad an indictment of the fans as the players?
Yeah I agree with that in part, the atmosphere can be toxic at times but I don’t think the fans are to blame this season

The players have had a lot of leeway considering how we’ve played so far this season. Today, go 2-0 up and still don’t win the game - fans can’t get blamed for that

It simply has to be a mentality issue. It’s a pattern that’s happened 3 out the last 4 years and I’m beginning to feel if we hadn’t been double digits ahead it likely would have happened last season. These players or at least a number of them can’t handle pressure . Gios excuse of look at Dortmund for mentality doesn’t cut it . There’s 0 pressure on us playing Dortmund if they worst had happened we would have been gutted but moved on . Winning every single week is completely different . Very few in this team have it . There will be a complete overhaul of the squad in the summer it might not be the worst thing to happen. The pattern of this squad which is 4 seasons into its cycle it’s clear

Yeah I agree with that in part, the atmosphere can be toxic at times but I don’t think the fans are to blame this season

The players have had a lot of leeway considering how we’ve played so far this season. Today, go 2-0 up and still don’t win the game - fans can’t get blamed for that
I’m not blaming the fans at all.
I’m just not accusing the players of lacking bottle or being scared of the fans.

Can perform as underdogs in Europe but don’t have the balls for a title race. That was a genuine disgrace.

Said it all along that we perform better as underdogs.

Don’t think it’s a mentality thing but we have a problem in domestic football, in a league full of limited teams who mainly go long and look for set pieces, long throws etc. When you have a goalkeeper who is completely rooted to his line affecting the starting position of the defence and allowing the opposition to hit high balls deep into our box, you’re reliant completely on having your defence win every single one of them.

I’m not blaming the fans at all.
I’m just not accusing the players of lacking bottle or being scared of the fans.
No, I know that, was just trying to expand the point

I genuinely do think the players have been affected by fans at Parkhead and Aberdeen this season.

I think it goes deeper than the fans’ presence though, I think it’s the expectation of being expected to win games vs Europe where we play without any pressure

I don’t recall reading this, CC.
However, many were also demanding “rotation”.

I didn’t read the pre match threads.

We should have rotated the right players - not stuck with Arfield who was shot at Tannadice last Sunday and played 70 minutes against Dortmund. He clearly needed rested. I don’t understand the Lundstram at CB decision and watching the defence in the 2nd half, it never worked as they were all at sea.

We needed quality in January so we turned do an under 23 Manchester United player to improve a troubled position - lad sits on the bench. Pointless signing.

Another clusterfuck in the 2nd half from manager and players.

Don’t think it’s a mentality thing but we have a problem in domestic football, in a league full of limited teams who mainly go long and look for set pieces, long throws etc. When you have a goalkeeper who is completely rooted to his line affecting the starting position of the defence and allowing the opposition to hit high balls deep into our box, you’re reliant completely on having your defence win every single one of them.
What happened last season then when we went the whole way undefeated ? Only difference would be a lack of crowd, but if you can do it with 50k vs Dortmund we can rule that one out.

The core of this team are unchanged. I very much believe it is a mentality thing. Too many in the squad can’t be trusted to perform for 90 minutes and fight for three points. Same goes for big cup games. It happens too frequently. What stands out in my mind is that under Gerrard last season they all visibly wanted it..massively. Where has this gone ?

Last edited:
There's a niceness that fu.cking disgusts me with this squad.

And it goes back 3/4 seasons now.

Fed up with it.
Passing back to Motherwell after they kicked it out because one of their players went down sums it all up. You don't do that when you're playing at Ibrox.

Did i dream last year ya moon rocket?
You know, that season we had to be on it mentally to stop them winning 9 and 3/4?
That title race.

I am disappointed as everyone else but not pissing my pants like some on here.

We are the Aberdeen of Europe. Can lift ourselves for certain games and down tools for the others.

I can’t wait until the summer now, leagues done.

There are some players who will never and thank god play for Rangers again.

Handing fat Ange a double on a plate quicker than a McDonald’s drive through.

Never forgive, never forget.

Remember Goldson interview after hibs games it said enough for me.

The pressure with no fans last season won us the league imo. There is definitely an issue with this team.

Did i dream last year ya moon rocket?
You know, that season we had to be on it mentally to stop them winning 9 and 3/4?
That title race.

I am disappointed as everyone else but not pissing my pants like some on here.

Wasn’t much of a race though was it?

That’s not in any way disparaging the achievement as we absolutely blew them away, I think the point the person you quoted was making is that in a real pressure cooker situation like we are in now where the margins are so tight many of this squad have failed before and look to be doing so again.

The team are playing great just now, Old Firm game being the exception.
60 shots the last 2 league games and scoring 6 against an European giant shows this team and the manager are on the right track.
Some poor refereeing decisions didn't help the last two draws and if we had won both games by 5 no-one would have been surprised.
The players need our full support to keep this up and turn the good performance into wins. Despite what some say, any player will struggle if the fans get nervous and on the players backs.

We are only 3 points behind and look stronger than Celtic so no point in quitting now.

Wasn’t much of a race though was it?

That’s not in any way disparaging the achievement as we absolutely blew them away, I think the point the person you quoted was making is that in a real pressure cooker situation like we are in now where the margins are so tight many of this squad have failed before and look to be doing so again.
Read the negative pish you just typed again mate.
You just 100% did just disparage the achievement.
You are basically saying our magnificent season last year was not won by us stepping up and putting relentless pressure on them making them collapse ,but that they collapsed themselves.

I suppose on Thursday when the team were 1/2 down at half time when they were 4/2 up after the first leg and under real pressure from a top class team was not a real pressure cooker situation?

Read the negative pish you just typed again mate.
You just 100% did just disparage the achievement.
You are basically saying our magnificent season last year was not won by us stepping up and putting relentless pressure on them making them collapse ,but that they collapsed themselves.

I suppose on Thursday when the team were 1/2 down at half time when they were 4/2 up after the first leg and under real pressure from a top class team was not a real pressure cooker situation?

“We blew them away” not cover that mate no?

Show me the result of this squad of players getting to this stage of the calendar still in a close race with Them, is the point I was getting at.

We absolutely battered them last season and were miles ahead at this point, you can slice it any way you want but the pressure is way more in a close race than when one team romps it.

Wow.

I said last week that Europa league could cost us the title. Ceptic prioritised the title fight, (even though they drew too) we didn’t and its crippling us.

The Europa league isn't going to cost us the title at all. What is likely going to cost us the title this season is us not being clinical enough with the chances we've created in games that we've dropped points in and as we've saw today and in many games after the winter break individual's making costly mistakes.

We should have won at Tannadice last week after facing Dortmund but it was one of those days where nothing fell for us. We should have won again today after playing Dortmund again but mistakes cost us points.

Fucksake you really are the most fickle lot I have ever heard one minute gio team murder next they are both best you seen 2-1 down the second offside goal stood you would all be saying this magic you can reply and say what you want to me was there as usual and it cou,d just be the last 2 weeks caught up with as well as it’s not if we are not creating chances

Back