New Midfield

Davis was sensational earlier in season. I wouldn't write him off yet. Recent form has been chronic but who's hasnt tbh? Huge drop off from near enough every player.

Kamara, Davis, arfield and Jack are good players but I think we need guys that do different things.

Physicality desperately lacking, especially in domestic games. Need different skillets, long range shooting, more creative player in there etc.

Solution isnt to get rid of the whole midfield.

I think Jack has been playing with an injury almost all season and it's starting to catch up with him. Davis plays better with Jack alongside him.

I thought the midfield was the strongest in the league for the first few months of the season.

Given our finances and starting position, we were always going to incrementally improve the various areas of team, raising the bar of each position and making some of the existing players squad players. That's what I think will apply to Davis.

I think well add more energy and fight to the midfield with Davis becoming a squad player who plays 10 to 15 games a season.

He isn’t. He misses about 10 games every season due to injury. He is a passenger in most of our vital games. He had a good start to this season but has been as shite as everyone else since the winter break.
He has won nothing at Rangers and cries like a little girl after we balls up winning a trophy again.

That is why I say he isn’t good enough, we need far better if we want to win the league.
You’re using the fact that he got emotional after a cup final as part of your “he’s not good enough” argument?

Good chat mate

Hope when people saying keep arfield they mean as a squad player as we require much better. He’s decent in several positions but not great at any

Without jack and with McCrorie out on loan our midfield has absolutely no bite at all. It can't compete physically in this league full of hatchet men. Lewis Ferguson would be a good start.

we don’t need an average player who spends about a quarter of the season injured.
We need someone better to win the league.
Stick with Jack in our midfield and we will win %^*& all.
I noticed last season you were very critical of Jack but went very quiet about him for the 1st 6 months of this one. Hes barely been fit since Christmas and was our best player in the cup final versus them, slating him for showing emotion is very backwards. The midfield needs upgraded yes but your stauner for caning Ryan Jack whenever possible is very bizarre. Did he shag your bird or something?

Just fyi that average player that spends half a season injured has actually been injured almost the full season and funnily enough still managed to be the best central midfielder in Scotland from September to December despite playing with said injury.

Hence the above mentioned perma rage over him.

No footie for a while so I'll play the pick the team and tactics game.

I am going to have a go at this without slagging off any of the current players.

4-2-3-1

Perm two from Jack, Arfield, Kamara, McCrorie to play as the 2 and protect the back 4

Aribo, Hagi and Kent as the mobile 3

Morelos as the target man

This system has served Chelsea and Man City brilliantly.

I know I know. We don't have De Bruyne or Hazard or Aguero. We probably won't have Morelos.

It's just something to occupy a footie free Saturday

Jack, Kamara and Aribo should be retained. Everyone else should be moved on or accept bit part roles.

We need two 8's another 6 and hopefully Majer as another 10.

You have to wonder how the midfield that was good enough to qualify to the last 32 of Europe, beat Celtic away and lose only one game domestically in the first half of the season is now deemed not good enough.

You have to wonder how the midfield that was good enough to qualify to the last 32 of Europe, beat Celtic away and lose only one game domestically in the first half of the season is now deemed not good enough.
It's the system.

Davis, Kamara and Jack as a trio are excellent at holding the shape and retaining possession although Davis' ability to do that has fallen off of a cliff.

In games against lesser opposition, nobody we have is dynamic enough to influence the game meaningfully in the midfield apart from Aribo.

The team have been throwing all responsibility on our attacking players and their confidence is now completely shot to pieces as a result.

Yep I agree. That is the engine of the team.
Takes pressure off the defence and creates for the strikers

We need to do the same as Souness did, and build from the goalie, and straight down the midddle.
First of all install a quality endforcer type, who can dictate play and break down opposing attacks.
Add to that young Hagi & Aribo to compliment each other, and work as a unit with the leader in the centre of the park.
Follow that up by buying two quality strikers, who can hold up play; and take half chances.
And hopefully we can get something productive from Ryan Kent next season also.
Ps.I would also keep our eye's on David Turnbull at Motherwell, as i think after his injury, he'll turn things around and start to score goals again from midfield.omo.

Being realistic - Jack, Aribo, Davis & Arfield is who i’d keep. The latter being squad options as I think it’ll be difficult to shift Davis. Kamara is good enough I think but I think we could sell him for a decent amount and I’m not sure on Hagi yet, especially if we’re sticking with our system.

Ryan Jack has won us games and saved us numerous times how can you say he’s not good enough?

Ryan Jacks a hard working team player, but appears to pick up a lot of injuries, stopping consistency on his part.
Personally i think we need a strong tackling leader in the middle of the park.Who can pull the strings and boss the opposition.
Hopefully S.G.will resolve that problem come the next transfer window.

It looks like our legs have gone,and the seasons catching up with us.omo.

We need to do the same as Souness did, and build from the goalie, and straight down the midddle.
First of all install a quality endforcer type, who can dictate play and break down opposing attacks.
Add to that young Hagi & Aribo to compliment each other, and work as a unit with the leader in the centre of the park.
Follow that up by buying two quality strikers, who can hold up play; and take half chances.
And hopefully we can get something productive from Ryan Kent next season also.
Ps.I would also keep our eye's on David Turnbull at Motherwell, as i think after his injury, he'll turn things around and start to score goals again from midfield.omo.
I honestly still think we have decent cb's.
As the midfield havnt taken the pressure off them.
As for Turnbull,he would be dodgy after that injury and alot of bears would not want him.

Your agenda is becoming really boring Smiley Bear. Start relaxing & enjoying your life mate.

It's not an agenda it's simply a fact our defensive record is quite good we do not score enough goals for the chances we create.
What part of that makes you assume I do not enjoy life? Weird post, stick to posting on football and stop trying to be a poor version of a FF life coach.

It's not an agenda it's simply a fact our defensive record is quite good we do not score enough goals for the chances we create.
What part of that makes you assume I do not enjoy life? Weird post, stick to posting on football and stop trying to be a poor version of a FF life coach.

I’ll put you on ignore mate & we won’t need to read each other’s posts.

I’ll put you on ignore mate & we won’t need to read each other’s posts.

That's up to you, you do not have to agree with my opinion I do not have to agree with yours I wouldn't put someone on ignore because I didn't agree with their opinion, I'd respect their right to air their own views on the forum whether I agreed or not.

What people forget about arfield is that he is one of the top earners at the club, as much as he’s handy to stick around as a squad player we could free up his wages for an upgrade

We have a midfield that offers nothing to protect the defence and no creativity for the attack. All our midfielders are the same in terms of influence on a game. I'd give Jack pass marks but the rest I'd happily see leave this summer if he is persisting with 433

It's the glaring problem.

Not a single midfielder has played well since December ended, 3 months of dross cannot happen. Its the big weakness in the team.

We need a new midfield with more quality and youth.

Agree SB.

And this comes back to @KGR98 point about not having enough depth in midfield. Players are playing when unfit & are then being subjected to unfair criticism due to it.
Absolutely. I think Jack became essential to the team and we had no cover for the role he carried out.

Jack and Kamara have both been slated and I think is unfair.

We should defo cash in on Kamara and keep Hagi. Hagi needs to be played as an attacking midfielder though.

IMO We need a new midfield, it is one of the major problems just now.

No drive, no invention, no battling, no goals , no assists.

I am wondering whether we can build it around Hagi - He has the inventiveness, works harder than I thought he would.

We still need to IMO get 2 proper quality midfielders to play with him, Athletic, Dynamic, Strong but I think the major thing that needs done in the summer is the new midfield - we cannot go into next season with Jack, Kamara and Davis as first choice midfielders.

I agree they are not covering themselves in glory at the moment however I think our biggest issue in terms of winning games is our forwards not taking chances.

As has been done to death on here, within the system we play the midfielders are instructed to stay compact and not to get ahead of the ball with the two 8s covering for the high fullbacks, so changing the personnel in there wont have the impact you expect unless the there is a change to the system.

We are creating chances but Morelos looks like he will need 6 or 7 attempts, Kent similar and we get next to no contribution in goals from the right sided attacker, whoever it happens to be.

All midfielders have their strengths and weaknesses.

In regards to Jack, I think he's a perfectly fine complementary player when fit but he's not someone you would make your main man in midfield. He's neither dominant nor forceful enough to our captain either.

Arfield is what he is. 100% maximum effort every game but half a yard too slow and makes the simple things look really difficult at times.

Hagi centre mid, attacking. None of this out on the wing nonsense that Gerrard shoehorns him into.

Build the other midfielders around him.

Back