New Midfield

BoyInRoyalBlue

IMO We need a new midfield, it is one of the major problems just now.

No drive, no invention, no battling, no goals , no assists.

I am wondering whether we can build it around Hagi - He has the inventiveness, works harder than I thought he would.

We still need to IMO get 2 proper quality midfielders to play with him, Athletic, Dynamic, Strong but I think the major thing that needs done in the summer is the new midfield - we cannot go into next season with Jack, Kamara and Davis as first choice midfielders.

Left ourselves short of numbers in there in January need another top player in there to replace Davis and some more depth hopefully sign a physical player who has quality on the ball

Totally agree. We have Jack, Kamara, Arfield and Davis and it cost us a total of £50k. It is now beginning to show.

We need way better quality in the middle of the park if we are to get anywhere near this league IMO.
Never thought of that but you’ve nailed it. On their day, any combination of those three are a match for almost any midfield. But as we’ve found out recently, they are all wildly inconsistent.

Ryan Jack has won us games and saved us numerous times how can you say he’s not good enough?

While you're correct and when he's good he's really good, his form started to drop off a cliff before the winter break and it hasn't returned apart from maybe one game.

I know our entire team are out of form but I think it's clear by now that our problems are stemming from our midfield. No covering defence, no controlling midfield, no creating chances. We need a midfield that we can trust and unfortunately, I can't trust guys like Jack and Davis who are only turning up for 5 or 6 months of a season.

Maybe one real quality addition sorts the problem but we don't know until we see it.

Kamara will leave in the summer and have a good career
Love Ryan jack but I want an upgrade as starter
arfield should be away to the MLS or something similar
Davis will be here but will play when needed hopefully

Ryan Jack has won us games and saved us numerous times how can you say he’s not good enough?

He isn’t. He misses about 10 games every season due to injury. He is a passenger in most of our vital games. He had a good start to this season but has been as shite as everyone else since the winter break.
He has won nothing at Rangers and cries like a little girl after we balls up winning a trophy again.

That is why I say he isn’t good enough, we need far better if we want to win the league.

He isn’t. He misses about 10 games every season due to injury. He is a passenger in most of our vital games. He had a good start to this season but has been as shite as everyone else since the winter break.
He has won nothing at Rangers and cries like a little girl after we balls up winning a trophy again.

That is why I say he isn’t good enough, we need far better if we want to win the league.

PicardFacepalm.jpg

I normally like your posts but the comment about Jack crying is dog awful.

Imagine a player showing emotion.

Your angry at something clearly but think before you post guff like that

A New CDM - big physical destroyer , ball winner and naturally defensive minded to hold a shape and hold the ball

A New box to box - drive and determination and graft who can get beyond the forward men and break through

Plus Joe Aribo in his natural position and I would be happy with Jack Arfield and Davis as back ups - Sell Kamara

Well if you and your man say so.

This place is utter bonkers.

No, what says it are the results and capitulations over the last 3 years, last 2 in particular when a midfield who should be dominating Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Hearts etc suddenly disappear and are outplayed and outfought as well as outthought.

Ryan Jack has contributed 9 goals, very few assists and has been in midfield in some shocking performances, so I will take that as evidence on why we need a new midfield rather than some sort of weird belief that all is ok ala Comical Ali.

Midfields in Scotland are vital for either us or them, and ours doesn't have it.

A New CDM - big physical destroyer , ball winner and naturally defensive minded to hold a shape and hold the ball

A New box to box - drive and determination and graft who can get beyond the forward men and break through

Plus Joe Aribo in his natural position and I would be happy with Jack Arfield and Davis as back ups - Sell Kamara
Sounds like we need Coulibaly back :)

I normally like your posts but the comment about Jack crying is dog awful.

Imagine a player showing emotion.

Your angry at something clearly but think before you post guff like that

facepalm all you want.

He has won nothing in three years and we will win nothing with him in the team. He isn’t good enough.

Rarely scores goals apart from a few weeks before Xmas , doesn’t control the pace of games (Davis was doing this before Xmas) and just doesn’t offer enough, just like the rest of the midfield.

As for the crying I don’t care if some don’t like that comment. He should have channeled his hurt in losing games to them and made sure we got the win, he was particularly poor in both games against Celtic that month. Thankfully the rest of the team got over the line for the 2nd game, for all the good that did.

Disagree totally on Jack. I don't think he has been fully fit for a long time.

He never is, in three fucking years, every season he is out injured for long spells.
We need for dynamic midfielders who do a job like plug from Celtic and McGregor.

A midfield destroyer and a midfielder who can chip in with more goals. Also think a change of formation next season is needed, our current one is good in Europe and against Celtic but far too reliant on the lone striker and simply not as useful against teams that punt long balls as soon as they get on it completely bypassing the midfield 3 like St Johnstone did

Im sorry he isn’t good enough either. Also he is being played as a full back.
Not good enough to play in the centre of the park against Leverkusen, Braga, Feyenoord perhaps but without a doubt I believe he can be good enough to step into the middle of our midfield and succeed domestically - which inevitably is what we require.

Kamara and Aribo were good squad signings.
Jack and Davis aren’t good enough and in the case of Davis past his best.
I said last season we needed 2 new quality mids and we never got them.
Aribo will come good next season and I think Kamara would be fine with two quality players around him but I’d cash in on Kamara this summer. Agree with Davis and Jack though mate

I am wondering whether we can build it around Hagi - He has the inventiveness, works harder than I thought he would.

We still need to IMO get 2 proper quality midfielders to play with him, Athletic, Dynamic, Strong but I think the major thing that needs done in the summer is the new midfield - we cannot go into next season with Jack, Kamara and Davis as first choice midfielders.
Correct

Never thought of that but you’ve nailed it. On their day, any combination of those three are a match for almost any midfield. But as we’ve found out recently, they are all wildly inconsistent.

Jack has been injury prone , Kamara has talent but also suffers from confidence issues, Aribo needs managed better, and age was always going to restrict Davis long term.

I do think we should sign Hagi and build around him. A 4231 with Hagi in the centre behind the striker and Kent on the right. Aribo rotates with hagi in that position. Other positions I don't have a clue who will be in them come next season.

So now we blame a player for being injured,wtf,has this support come to?

We need some midfielders with an attacking mindset. We have too many safety-first, pass-the-buck merchants at the moment in the middle of the park and it destroys the whole tempo of our play.

Hagi should be the focal point of this team. The boy oozes class. But to see the best in him we need to play him in his natural position and have two bodies in there next to him capable of doing the leg work to let the boy play.

We're too similar in there, especially when Jack doesn't play. I'm not sure why King didn't get a chance tbh

He maybe would now. We were scoring for fun at the time mate and playing brilliant. At that point it was a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it so he just couldn't get in.

Agree OP.

I think Davis now has to be carefully managed. There is still a top footballer in there but not one up to the rigours of 50-odd games a season. He’d do a job in thw “Hemdani role” being reserved for Europe and games against Celtic

Back