Non Rangers 2022 Summer Transfer Thread

If that fee is correct I find it mental, you don't need to spend that much money on a defender in Scotland. I might be wrong but I can't see them making a profit on him.

Since the 19/20 season, they've now spent £22m odd on centre backs. One was a £4m loan. One was £7m on Julien who played three quarters of a season and will now get sold on the cheap or released on a free. One is Starfelt who looked shocking without Carter Vickers beside him.

It's going to be interesting to see how these defenders perform in Europe as we've shown you can comfortably have the best defenders in the country for £3m odd each supplemented by free transfers when they come up (Goldson/Helander/Souttar/Balogun/Bassey).

Is it just me or does Frenkie De Jong to Man United seem like a bit of a disaster waiting to happen? Seems absolutely determined to stay at Barca and made it clear he doesn’t want to leave. Not sure id be wanting my club to spend that much cash on him if he’s not keen on the move himself.

Yes 2012 has a lot to do with it but unfortunately money and finances 9/10s dictates footbsll. We had no right to be in a Europa final . Until we reach the point we can match them financially in the transfer market they will likely continue to win more than us at least in recent years
They had 9 years of unchallenged European money where they also collected the full TV part of it too when we were out the league. That will be shared next season if we qualify for the CL and it's substantial on its own. Then there is the 10 year coefficient payment figure which they will remain in front of us in for the next few years too. Again a significant stand alone sum.

From that windfall they recruited very well in terms of turning over large profits year on year for players whereas Paterson is the highest transfer fee we've received since Hutton all those years ago. Then they benefitted from Van Dyke to Liverpool and their own academy product coming through that netted them a combined 37m quid up front.

They have 10k extra seats which does make a difference too, especially in Europe. Then there are the areas fans don't take into account in terms of infrastructure. Their stadium and the surrounding area was 'freshened up' at zero expense to them for the Commonwealth Games whilst we had charlatans bleed us dry and let our stadium and facilities deteriorate to such an extent that it cost King and the 3 bears multi millions that could've gone on the first team squad just to get it back to an acceptable standard and that was before they made the modernisation changes Gerrard insisted on which would've been millions more. They could simply keep ploughing it back into transfers.

Their sponsorship and merchandise deals were also superior to ours to the tune of multi millions but Bisgrove and finally getting rid of Ashley and having a proper, financially beneficial shirt supplier, whether you rate them or not, is starting to negate that.

The positive is that they no longer have the sellable assets now that they had then. They won't make much more, if at all, on Carter Vickers and Jota than they are buying them for, for example, and the majority of their squad is worth jack shit. The league, and therefore Champions League access, isn't guaranteed as once was for them and unless a serious miscarriage of justice happens they will have a fortune to pay out on court settlements. They've spent 25m+ each season for the past 3 years, mainly funded from outgoing transfers, that won't be available anymore sooner than people realise. The turnover gap is more or less gone and the accounts over the next few seasons will bear that out. It's not as bad as you seem to think.

Is it just me or does Frenkie De Jong to Man United seem like a bit of a disaster waiting to happen? Seems absolutely determined to stay at Barca and made it clear he doesn’t want to leave. Not sure id be wanting my club to spend that much cash on him if he’s not keen on the move himself.
He's a Super Player and just what United are lacking.

Might be a good time for him to move there with the potential to be a really significant presence in their new team.

Barca desperate for money so also a cut price.

Win. Win.

Slightly concerning the amount they look likely to spend this summer even without selling while all the rumours are we have a budget of 6-8 million unless we sell first . Since Desmond has came in and post 2003 it’s always felt at least in my opinion they have had more money than us . Ok they get an extra 10k season tickets but it can’t just be that
They have brought in well over £100m in transfer fees in the past 10-15 years

He’ll be moving from one shambles to the next, Barca are in a mess financially and they’ll be pushing de Jong out.

Any big name player heading to Utd is a massive gamble, they probably need 5 or 6 big players to get back to some sort of decent level. de Jong going there will be like Schweinsteiger, big name but didnt deliver. de Jong does have youth on his side but is he big enough and strong enough to run the Utd midfield? Doubt it…

He's a Super Player and just what United are lacking.

Might be a good time for him to move there with the potential to be a really significant presence in their new team.

Barca desperate for money so also a cut price.

Win. Win.
Yeah he’s a good player but he’s more or less made it publicly clear he doesn’t want the move. I’d be concerned if we were chasing someone and they are saying they have no interest in it.

Yes 2012 has a lot to do with it but unfortunately money and finances 9/10s dictates footbsll. We had no right to be in a Europa final . Until we reach the point we can match them financially in the transfer market they will likely continue to win more than us at least in recent years
Aye we had no right being in the final after battering dortmond, leipzig, red star, braga…

Geez peace.

It’s a difficult one. He’s a great player and has the potential to bring United up a level and be a leader as the team improves. However like you say I’m not sure I’d want us to sign a player who really doesn’t want to leave his club. Barca are desperate for the money and he could end up being an absolute bargain for them.

Aye we had no right being in the final after battering dortmond, leipzig, red star, braga…

Geez peace.
I’m sure you knew what he meant though. We had no right to beat the teams you’ve mentioned above apart from maybe Braga at a push. They all had bigger budgets than us and didn’t go through the same process we did to qualify.

Richarlison close to joining Spurs for €60 million. Surprised at that to be honest. Good player but thought he'd have went abroad.

Richarlison close to joining Spurs for €60 million. Surprised at that to be honest. Good player but thought he'd have went abroad.

Not entirely Spurs the frontline is where Spurs need strengthening, unless he's going to be part of a 3 along with Kane and Son

Not entirely Spurs the frontline is where Spurs need strengthening, unless he's going to be part of a 3 along with Kane and Son
I'm sure they'll need plenty of strength and depth If Conte is serious about challenging for honours.

I think the guy Bergwin is off to Ajax too.

I think that's a top class signing for them. If they get Bastoni and Eriksen you'd fancy them to challenge for trophies next year.

Has Eriksen been linked with a return?

Would imagine that Richarlison will be replacing Bergjwin? Son, Kane and Kulesevski were excellent at the tail end of the season.

Would imagine that Richarlison will be replacing Bergjwin? Son, Kane and Kulesevski were excellent at the tail end of the season.

And they'll have Perisic and Moura there as well - quite a decent amount of forward options.

On another note, I can't help but feel that City signing Haaland has been a big factor in Liverpool going for Nunez.

Conte was asked about it last year and didn't rule it out.

It would be ridiculous if he stayed at a club like Brentford. Eriksen is still world class. I think even Man City and Liverpool could do worse.

The Athletic reporting that Pochettino is out at PSG. Deal agreed to terminate his contract.

Possible the best player we have come up against in recent European years, the one striker we really struggled with

That's Liverpool essentially got 2/3rds of the long term replacements for their front three tied down already. Diaz and Nunez are cracking signings going forward.

If they punt Mane for £40m this summer they'll have basically recouped the Diaz fee they spent.

Last edited:
Back