Not reaching the League Cup Final

Gerrard and our backroom team walking away are as much to blame for this as our players who did not try at all against Hibs.
For me still a lot of our players do not have the metal needed to represent us.
Ins
Gerrard and our backroom team walking away are as much to blame for this as our players who did not try at all against Hibs.
I still haven’t and will never forgive Goldson for his post match comments . For me he plays as we’ve no back up . But I’d rather he goes as soon as we can replace him

It's only pathetic if you care.

There was a time when the Glasgow Cup mattered, the Merchants' Charity Cup, friendlies...

It actually benefits Scottish football for clubs outside the Old Firm to win a trophy since they have zero chance of winning the league - a fact which, in itself, proves the true value of winning a cup in Scotland.
Of course I care. I was brought up with the mentality Rangers should be winning all domestic competitions and it was a huge deal if we didn’t

The mentality shift some fans have done to accept being losers is a huge issue for me

Some depressing attitudes towards the cups that has crept in since our journey back to the top. They all matter, and any Rangers team should be striving to win the lot. I don’t understand some opinions that seem to think it’s the cups or the league. You can win both.
Totally agree mate & them having 18 wins on the spin at Hampden is a travesty to any Rangers team that run has to be stopped , Hibs , Aberdeen , & the filth have all beaten us at Hampden recently which is not acceptable to any Rangers team .

Hopefully we can get to the match at the piggery without dropping anything, and then trounce them on the 2nd.

I dont think they are nearly as bad as they are made out to be, however. Theyre winning games one way or the other and doing so without key players. That being said we have the better players and a far more tactically astute manager, so if we show up on the day and play to our strengths then there is no reason why we wont stuff the cunts into the dirt.

I take your point but looking back at the cup wins by Greig and Wallace, they were fine on the day but ultimately unsatisfying and I look back on those periods as abject failure, unalleviated by cup final successes.

As long as a league campaign is still 'alive' I would take any three points over a cup final victory.

I get why people like a cup success but it's strictly secondary as far as I'm concerned.

(Edit: Most countries have only one or two teams 'far out in front'. Even England, ten times our size, has a maximum of four contenders.)
I was at every one of those triumphs, don't tell me they were "unsatisfying", they were trophies won by RANGERS, that meant and still means, everything.

Of course I care. I was brought up with the mentality Rangers should be winning all domestic competitions and it was a huge deal if we didn’t

The mentality shift some fans have done to accept being losers is a huge issue for me
I was brought up with that mentality too...

And that Rangers players tucked in their jerseys, pulled up their socks, had no facial hair, wore a shirt/tie/bowler hat to training and match days.

I'm not disagreeing with you just for the sake of it, but I was much more agitated at the prospect of dropping points yesterday than I was at losing to Hibs in the LC semi.

Reality Check Time.

The Scottish League Cup is the single most pointless and worthless trophy in World Football.

I’d be happy for Rangers to get KOd at the first hurdle every single season.
I think if we win the league then we don't really care about the cups. Also if we lose the league but win cups people are not going to be happy either.

The thing is though that cup finals can really be a great day out for the fans and in Scotland we should realistically be getting to more than one final in the 5 and a half seasons since we were promoted the SPL.

Right now, we'll just have to wait and see. I think the squad will probably be glad of the full week off at this stage of the season. If this full week to get more acquainted with GVBs methods and gets us 3 wins from the next 3 then we'll be better off for it.

If tims drop points because of the packed schedule then even better.

Realistically though it should only be the tims who can stop us from winning trophies and some of our cup exits have been really, really, poor. I think the supporters deserve better.

I was at every one of those triumphs, don't tell me they were "unsatisfying", they were trophies won by RANGERS, that meant and still means, everything.
I was too and they did not NOT mean 'everything.'

They were consolation prizes in a desperate nine year period without a league title win.

I'm not 'telling you' anything but my opinion is they were 'ultimately unsatisfying' to me.

Totally agree mate & them having 18 wins on the spin at Hampden is a travesty to any Rangers team that run has to be stopped , Hibs , Aberdeen , & the filth have all beaten us at Hampden recently which is not acceptable to any Rangers team .
18 wins in a row at hampden is a stat that puts the whole of Scottish football to shame, including ourselves. I don’t care about today’s win for them in the grand scheme of things but we need to win a trophy at hampden it’s way past overdue

Jeez, the point being the players were more than good enough to win regardless who was in the dugout.
I know what the point was.

Makes me wonder what the point of having a manager at all is since the players should be good enough.

Agree?

We really need a cup win asap. I view the LC as a diddy cup in the grand scheme of our ambitions but we could be doing with a Premiership and Scottish Cup double this season.
Losing any game is not good enough in the grand scheme of things. We should be winning the diddy cup, us not even being in final is shocking. You are right though with saying we could be doing with the double. We really have to, we only should have one team to have any concern about at all, and we are in front of them. Scandalous if we don’t win the double.

I know what the point was.

Makes me wonder what the point of having a manager at all is since the players should be good enough.

Agree?
On a long term basis that’s a ridiculous point, obviously you need the manager, in that particular circumstance a real set of Rangers players should have got the job done. But then the previous manager thought he completed his remit by failing in 8 and winning one so maybe that explains a lot.

When the Scottish cup comes round with Gio it’s a fresh start. Gerrard’s poor cup record was becoming a bigger and bigger issue! Just like going to Tynecastle was billed as a bigger issue than it needed to be. Gio sees it for what it is and doesn’t let it get in his head.

On a long term basis that’s a ridiculous point, obviously you need the manager, in that particular circumstance a real set of Rangers players should have got the job done. But then the previous manager thought he completed his remit by failing in 8 and winning one so maybe that explains a lot.
It’s a ridiculous point regardless of timescale.

Absolute shambles us not reaching the LC Final. In the end it allowed them a final against a team that is (a) not very good; and (b) without a proper manager.

It is true that it is the least prestigious of the domestic trophies. However, it is a trophy that we have won many times in our history (we are the most successful team with 27 league cups). It also forms part of a double or treble (which we should have won last year).

Really poor that we allowed this average Celtic team and manager to win it this year.

Absolute shambles us not reaching the LC Final. In the end it allowed them a final against a team that is (a) not very good; and (b) without a proper manager.

It is true that it is the least prestigious of the domestic trophies. However, it is a trophy that we have won many times in our history (we are the most successful team with 27 league cups). It also forms part of a double or treble (which we should have won last year).

Really poor that we allowed this average Celtic team and manager to win it this year.
That's the crux of it for me.

Water under the bridge now, I guess.

However, the Filth fans will have long forgotten yet another ill-gotten LC today if we can continue winning and do them at their own midden on 2nd Jan.

I realize it's a part of the treble but the idea of the league cup being massively important is something that I'm not fully bought into. If we win the Scottish Cup and the league then I'll be delighted with how this season has gone.

The LC is a bit of a diddy cup, just stings most right now because of how recent the final was, put into context against the league title it's pretty much nothing. Winning the LC would have given us good momentum though, and Rangers should always be competing to win trophies. Just one of those things you have to accept and quickly move on

I realize it's a part of the treble but the idea of the league cup being massively important is something that I'm not fully bought into. If we win the Scottish Cup and the league then I'll be delighted with how this season has gone.
It's hugely important, silverware (honours) is what we as a club are built on and should be winning consistently, its a trophy that was ours through the 80s, 90s and 2000- 2010 and I can't wait to get our hands on the cups again.

Last edited:
Ins

I still haven’t and will never forgive Goldson for his post match comments . For me he plays as we’ve no back up . But I’d rather he goes as soon as we can replace him
It really didn’t take long for everyone to forgive the players for that semi final but for me they’ve still got an awful lot of making up to do. Celtics nobody coach picking up the first silverware of the season when we couldn’t even make the final is embarrassing, and I hope the players feel that embarrassment (and other cup embarrassments I have to say) and it fuels them for the rest of the season.

The LC is a bit of a diddy cup, just stings most right now because of how recent the final was, put into context against the league title it's pretty much nothing. Winning the LC would have given us good momentum though, and Rangers should always be competing to win trophies. Just one of those things you have to accept and quickly move on
I definitely don’t remember that being the consensus when we were winning it regularly under Walter, particularly against St Mirren.

To be fair winning the league was Gerrards remit.

It was an exceptionally hard task given what he inherited and we are a force in Europe again.

I'd bite your hand off for what he achieved rather than a couple of cups.

We’re hibs’ cup final.

Everyone knows it, so it’s frustrating when the players momentarily forget about it.

A lot of the failings in that semi were down the the disastrous management from our B-Team manager though. Some of the worst subs I’ve ever seen.

I definitely don’t remember that being the consensus when we were winning it regularly under Walter, particularly against St Mirren.
That was memorable because of the achievement against the odds. There's nothing wrong with winning the LC and it's good for the teams morale and good to win trophies, but it's pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of this season

That was memorable because of the achievement against the odds. There's nothing wrong with winning the LC and it's good for the teams morale and good to win trophies, but it's pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of this season
I think Rangers are all about winning, and trying to win everything that’s on offer. Regarding your last point, when teams eventually win the league or Scottish cup then the league cup does feel like a bit of an afterthought, I agree. However, we’ve been stinking in the cup competitions for years now and it’s beginning to feel more and more like a mental block for this team. So the way I see it getting to that final and winning it was important. It would have set us up nicely, we’d have overcame that barrier we’ve failed to clear so many times in recent years and we’d have answered any questions regarding our teams bottle at Hampden.

I think Rangers are all about winning, and trying to win everything that’s on offer. Regarding your last point, when teams eventually win the league or Scottish cup then the league cup does feel like a bit of an afterthought, I agree. However, we’ve been stinking in the cup competitions for years now and it’s beginning to feel more and more like a mental block for this team. So the way I see it getting to that final and winning it was important. It would have set us up nicely, we’d have overcame that barrier we’ve failed to clear so many times in recent years and we’d have answered any questions regarding our teams bottle at Hampden.
We always do seem to stumble in cups, however oftentimes it was due to unfortunate circumstances like Sadiq falling on his arse, offside goal in the final, getting cocky against st mirren. It has become a monkey on our back though, winning would have been very good for morale for both players and fans. The way I see it, we only have 1 objective this season and that is to secure the clubs future financially, once this is done we can start worrying more about cups and other competitions. I.E. it's crap that we didn't win, but our main objective this season is still the same

Performance in the semi final was awful. Piss poor

Gerrards record in cup competitions was an utter shambles tbh.

Gio fresh start hopefully does it first time of asking

It’s a mentality and tactics thing I think in the cups.

For other teams playing in the cups is their only chance of silverware so they play their hearts out and give all. Every game is their cup final, one step closer to a trophy and a bit of fame / glory.

We can’t play our same game that we do in the league. In the league some teams will sit back and try to not get a hiding and pick up a point - that’s a result for them.

In the cup they go for it and challenge us and over the last few years we have not been able to change our game on the pitch to combat that. We only knew one style of play and if that didn’t work we didn’t know how to change that.

For the cups we need to be more aggressive with more fight in us and have a different style of play to combat these teams who will be more physical with us and get right in our faces instead of standing off and playing a defensive game.

I think we will see a change under the manager we have.

I like the League Cup, it was the first trophy I was there to see Rangers pick up and it was a very happy tournament for us in my youth.

I really dislike when folk talk it down, it remains part of the competititive landscape within Scotland and Rangers should always be trying to win it.

Talking down any cup is just stupidity.
Anyone saying we wouldn't have loved to win that League Cup is at the madam.

Some absolutely great memories there, Coop rattling it by Leighton for one...

Dismissing the league cup is an absolute joke, first trophy of the season part one of a treble or a double and is the silverware we crave.

The semi final was as bad a performance as you will ever see and suggested we have deep rooted issues in cup competitions.

Yet again we effectively handed Celtic a trophy.

That's got to stop.

At this stage of our recovery, the cups are meaningless. Once we get our financial strength back fully then we can start hoovering up the domestic cups. The league is what matters to us till May.

Watched it until the Torbett's 2nd. Them winning another cup is painful. No two ways about it.

The league is the priority, of course, but cups are important as well. As previously mentioned they're only 3 or 4 behind us.

Hopefully Gio can get back to collecting them so we can stop pretending they don't matter like many did under Gerrard.

18 wins in a row at hampden is a stat that puts the whole of Scottish football to shame, including ourselves. I don’t care about today’s win for them in the grand scheme of things but we need to win a trophy at hampden it’s way past overdue
How many of those wins were with out rangers being in the league.

Our cup challenges are woeful
They are barely even "challenges", it's Aberdeen or Dundee United levels really. Shockingly poor for such a long time now. After watching that Jelavic goal in the 2011 LCF could you ever have thought we wouldn't win a LC for over 10 years?

We’re hibs’ cup final.

Everyone knows it, so it’s frustrating when the players momentarily forget about it.

A lot of the failings in that semi were down the the disastrous management from our B-Team manager though. Some of the worst subs I’ve ever seen.

Don’t agree with blaming him but they were extremely puzzling. Anyone in the stands would have chosen better subs.

We lost the LC semi-final due to not being focused and concentrated from the first whistle, which has been a bad habit we've still to completely break. Hibs were champing at the bit from the off, and we were 2 then 3 -0 down. This needs fixed, and quickly.

Unacceptable that a team that went undefeated last season and largely the same starting xi got pumped in the first half vs hibs in that semi final. To say "league is the priority" is a total cop out.

Handing them any trophies on a platter should be deemed a failure and sadly I think that attitude stems from the senior players in our squad that are content with sporadic success (that's being generous).

We should be aiming to win everything domestically every season. Dismissing the cups as pointless is an utterly embarrassing loser mentality

Reality Check Time.

The Scottish League Cup is the single most pointless and worthless trophy in World Football.

I’d be happy for Rangers to get KOd at the first hurdle every single season.
Happily having Rangers knocked out of tournaments. I'm cringing hard for you, mate. The cringefactor is at 5000 here

Having seen some of the fall out of them winning that trophy yesterday was kick in the stones and it’s fully on Steven Gerrard! He let complacency, apathy and had his eye on the door from the start of the season letting our standards slide and not managing properly. Now we see them carrying all the luck in the world and dubious refereeing decisions carry them through! We better hammer them in their own dump on the 2nd!

Back