Oli McBurnie & Paddy McNair

For me the main difference with Mcburnie and the likes of Dessers is he would give 100% every time he stepped on to the pitch for us. Can the same be said about Lammers, Dessers etc? Good chance Sheffield Utd will get relegated again so possibly this would be a good chance to get him. No brainer for me.

The transfer thread was full of dozens of people saying they didn’t want McBurnie on a free - but they did want to spend £5m on Trusty. Go figure .

Incredible that after new players already coming in with shite stats and continuing on the same trajectory this season, people STILL think we should take a punt on forwards that don't score goals.

I think McBurnie is actually better than he looks if that makes sense?

He is a bit of a cart horse but his reactions in the box are pretty good, always on his toes. I think he'd do quite well for us. He has the attributes to play the different styles that are needed for us over the course of a season.

McNair I don’t really care about but mcburnie is someone who improves us. You just need to watch him up front for Sheffield Utd in the premier league. He’s got a good touch on him, good at linking up. Has also score goals for them when I championship.

Anybody thats a fan should be signed according to posters on here. It doesnt matter if they are good enough as long as they are Scottish and a fan thats the main criteria.
Been reading this guff for years. “He knows what it’s all about”….. “he’s a die hard Rangers man”….. So are 50,000 in Ibrox every week. It doesn’t mean any of us should be on the park.

Been reading this guff for years. “He knows what it’s all about”….. “he’s a die hard Rangers man”….. So are 50,000 in Ibrox every week. It doesn’t mean any of us should be on the park.

The merits of signing a striker playing in the premiership who happens to support Rangers is in no way comparable to suggesting signing random fans from the crowd.

Oli McBurine would just feel like a rerun of the first Laffterty,

A big daft arse who would score a few goals, but likely just have proper daft annoying I in reality don't actually enjoy this that much energy

According to Flashscores 24 in total.

In the same period Lammers has scored 8.
Get what you are saying mate, but they are completely different players. Lammers is not a striker. Its an unfair comparison.

For the record, I'd take both in a heartbeat.

Get what you are saying mate, but they are completely different players. Lammers is not a striker. Its an unfair comparison.

For the record, I'd take both in a heartbeat.
I was responding to a poster who said they had similar scoring records. I agree they are different players.

I’d also take McBurnie.

I’m against signing McBurnie for many reasons but the main one is that whenever we go with a big guy up top we totally throw out any plan to build play from the back and just lump it long.

We’ve did it with Dessers, we did it with Itten. SPFL teams live for this kind of football. It’s the one thing their defenders are good at defending against.

In the name of God, no.

I do wonder about the lack of standards some fans are prepared to accept these days.

McNair can barely get a start for a shit Middlesbrough, but a free agent in January is "too good for Scottish football", right enough. FFS.

The manager absolutely does not know what he is doing. He is clueless based on every match we have played this season.
I would say he's a better at being a manager than you are at keeping up with a conversation on here, you do know we are talking about Clarke being the Scotland manager.

McNair is too good for Scottish football, NI need him playing at the highest level possible so no way.
That would be NI problem not rangers problem I'd he comes couldn't care about someone's international responsibility as long as there doing the business for rangers thats all that matters

Our salvation lies with a culture , a pride and an attitude .
Not with individual players .
With our fan base we have it within our power to maximise our potential .
It’s not about players , it’s about fuckin leadership .
On Rangers on
Wow
Lie down time I think.

Two players we have been linked with previously.

Both are available for pre contracts on January 1st.

I have seen McBurnie a couple of times this season. McBurnie for Dessers would be an upgrade.

Paddy McNair is a victim of his own versatility. Being an NI fan, I see him alot at CB as part of a back 3. He is an upgrade on Souttar, Davies and Balogun as an all round Defender.

1 Scotsman & 1 Ulsterman. Both Rangers fans.

Would we be happy with these two on a free?
Unless everyone we already have improves then aye why not as long as the wages aren't mad and contracts aren't too long

I’m against signing McBurnie for many reasons but the main one is that whenever we go with a big guy up top we totally throw out any plan to build play from the back and just lump it long.

We’ve did it with Dessers, we did it with Itten. SPFL teams live for this kind of football. It’s the one thing their defenders are good at defending against.
Agreed. McBurnie is very good in the air but is one of the slowest strikers in top level football.

A misconception with mcburnie tbh, he’s decent in the air but he has a really good touch and is good at linking up play. He’s not just some plodder target man. And we lump it up the park even if we’re playing someone like roofe as well

Great shout. Scots and Ulsterman. Get Ferguson and Doig too. We need Scots to win this league as we can't outspend the mhanks. Some players that play for the jersey. It matters.

McNair is too good for Scottish football, NI need him playing at the highest level possible so no way.

To be fair - he is either not good enough for the EPL or he’s refusing to move to a league abroad, maybe not as good as the EPL.

Or he’s actually not that good.

Teams are all over players who can make the step up these days.

Not seen the guy play, but I am sure he is a decent player with plenty international experience, but we have an awful habit of taking average English Championship players on good wages and blocking the pathway for our young Scottish players, when there is not much difference in the levels. Not enough to justify the wages we piss up against the wall.

Last edited:
I quite like McBurnie but we'd have to totally change how we play if we were to try and accommodate him in the team. I don't think he could play as a lone striker effectively for us so we'd have to go with a front 2. He will likely get offered £50k+ from a Championship team so I doubt we could afford him.

McNair is a player I've always liked but I've always felt like he was a bit of a utility man and has never really settled and developed in one position. I haven't seen him recently so I don't know if he has settled on one position now but I've seen him play RB, CB, LB and CM at different times during his career.

We will more than likely lose Jack & Lundstram on a free next summer so bringing McNair in on a nominal fee or a pre contract in January makes perfect sense.
I’m hopeful the space will be filled by Rice long term but McNair is another option & McBurnie, with Roofe likely to go next summer and Dessers & Lammers not exactly fitting in, signing someone like Oli who’s a little different from Danilo, could offer something variety from the beach.

McBurnie looks very unnatural with a football, but I oddly think he’d be very successful up here.

Hard pushed to be a downgrade on some current strikers.

Our salvation lies with a culture , a pride and an attitude .
Not with individual players .
With our fan base we have it within our power to maximise our potential .
It’s not about players , it’s about fuckin leadership .
On Rangers on

nigelv2.jpg

Neither of them are an upgrade on what we have.

McBurnie would be a banter signing and nothing more. A striker that would put himself about but his scoring record is howling.

McBurnie 100%, I think his playing style would be a great fit for us and he’d score goals up here.

He’s better than Dessers who I’d already be happy to try to shift in January.

McBurnie looks very unnatural with a football, but I oddly think he’d be very successful up here.

Hard pushed to be a downgrade on some current strikers.
Physically he'd transition no bother that's always part of the problem when plsyers come up here also he's actually got quite a good touch and link up play I definitely wouldn't be against it.

Plus he'd have the whole of Scottish football on strings which would be funny

Physically he'd transition no bother that's always part of the problem when plsyers come up here also he's actually got quite a good touch and link up play I definitely wouldn't be against it.

Plus he'd have the whole of Scottish football on strings which would be funny

I think he’d be a better Lafferty type.

Back