On this day 2008 - Fiorentina (H)

Pioneer

I must say i remember next to nothing about this game being a fresh faced 13 year old. Remember it being a nervous sort of atmosphere with little to get people excited throughout the match (the link above is testament to this, showing none of the action).

How that team got to a European final still baffles me. The ultimate smash and grab. What I’d give for a Cuellar in central defence these days.

I was 8 years old and at all the home games and the only thing I remember from the 4 of them is Cousin and Davis’s goals v Werder Bremen.

My abiding memories of the run are watching the away games in the house. The home games were all pretty forgettable.

Most of what I remember about that evening was the walk to Ibrox. I recall very little about the game apart from where I was sitting. Just was a game where not much happened and a very weird, tense atmosphere.

I don't even have the excuse of booze or youth as to why I remember so little about it :)) a sober 21 year old at the time!

Was in the main stand that night, remember arriving late as I had to pick up my ticket, and then just sitting watching the match without much fanfare throughout. It was all fairly placid as far as I can recall, there was not much to get excited about.

Compare that with Leipzig a few years back, which was probably the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at Ibrox.

Don’t remember anything about it. Atmosphere was very nervy. If we’d had the second leg at home it would have been better i guess.

Of the 4 knock out games at Ibrox that season, about the only thing i remember vividly is Cousins 45 yarder vs Bremen that the keeper made an arse of.

Contrast to two years ago and i lived and breathed just about every moment at Ibrox from the first whistle against Dortmund until i left the ground after Leipzig.

Sat front row right behind the goal in the Broomloan end. Pretty boring game if I remember where nothing really happened.

Think it shows the difference in UEFA scrapping away goals

A 0-0 at home in the first leg was a great result back then, made football cagier and games like this

That season, we played perfectly to the fact…

It was tense, nervous and pretty strange tbh.

Nothing really happened at all.
yeah it's mad because it was a semi-final at Ibrox and I didn't probably appreciate the enormity of it.

Compare that with Leipzig and it's night and day. Perhaps because there was a little expectation in the air with Leipzig given our performances in earlier rounds.

Missed this match as was working away in Holland at the time. Didn't even get to watch it. Made up for it by going to Florence though :)

After watching the European performances of the 1990s, I was more than a bit envious of my mates being at this while I was 400 miles away.

I remember speaking with one of my mates that afternoon and we were just pinching ourselves that Rangers were in this semi final - seemed incredible.

Honestly don’t even remember a chance being created in that game! Having experienced this one, I was almost worried about what the atmosphere for Leipzig would be like!

Remember very little - mainly because nerves got the better of me and I ended up somewhat "worse for wear".

Watched the game back the following day with a stinker of a hangover and it turned out that I had missed %^*& all.

I remember nothing about it. Just had to ask my bro if we went-we did. As someone else said above the only home game I really remember from the knockout rounds was Werder Bremen.

I remember the tannoy played 'another one bites the dust' at full time in the Bremen game (it was only the first leg) and loving it.

Other than the penalty shootout and Cousin red card nothing much happened in the 2nd leg either.

Did it sell out? Was at the game but remember very little.

I remember plenty about the 2nd leg which i also attended.

So on this day 2008 I was at the Scottish Mortgage Roadshow at the SECC and participated in the free wine on offer, we were staying at the Campanile Hotel and after some more drinks tried to get to Ibrox via the Bell footbridge! I was basically that drunk got up a few steps and fell off the side onto the grass where I lay looking at the stars for a while before calling it a night and making my way back to the hotel! Not my proudest night!

Went to the away game but that is an story!

One of the strangest games I've ever attended, in terms of atmosphere. Didn't help that the game itself was terrible.

I guess the difference was it being the first leg. Leipzig may have been different the other way around.

Only thing I remember about the game is that Jim Wallace the Lib Dem guy was sitting a few seats along from my dad and me.

(that and cheering a home 0-0 as by that time we'd realised from the previous rounds that the way our team was set up meant this was a good result.)

My god is that 16 rears ago. Was in my usual seat CRF , Game was really boring, the atmosphere was crap cos it was when we were starting to get threats about playing bcd or getting deducted point for singing the BB And add ons, we didn't know what to sing, and so it began...

Only thing I remember about the game is that Jim Wallace the Lib Dem guy was sitting a few seats along from my dad and me.

(that and cheering a home 0-0 as by that time we'd realised from the previous rounds that the way our team was set up meant this was a good result.)

Good rangers man is Jim.

Could feel the nerves from kick off and I hadn't ever experienced anything like that (or since) at a rangers game.

Very quiet sedated atmosphere!

We'd just settled into a game plan of relying on away goals. There was something inevitable about it- we just had a rock solid defence.

Costly exhausting period.

10,000 of us went to the youth cup final as well.

The 3-2 defeat to the beggars was the rescheduled game from when they got the game postponed due to Phil o Donnells death I’m sure?
They were ravaged by injuries and suspensions
at the original match date and used O’ Donnells death as an excuse for postponement.

Latest posts

Back