Pep asks for more fans to attend City's next match.

Aye that's exactly it. Much more of the new generation stadium and fan experience.

I've been to Old Trafford and I didn't enjoy it either. Much more atmosphere there however as it's very much more fans that's have travelled and are up for it.

It does depend where you are in the ground.

It depends who is playing as well.

Spurs quarter final a few years back was one f the best atmospheres I’ve been in. We were right next to the Spurs support that night

That’s the same for all clubs. Have you read the threads on here regarding the atmosphere at Ibrox? And we are sold out most weeks

I said on the thread last night the atmosphere, or lack of it, was embarrassing. It was like watching Soccer Aid. Fair enough you can never get a true feel for it on TV but at 2-0 it was absolutely silent, the match hadn't lulled or anything but there was nothing from the crowd. When the ref checked the VAR screen for the penalty there was a panto like oooooh and when Mahrez scored there was a 2 second cheer before it died down again.

It had a feeling of arrogant expectation from the fans that it would be an easy game therefore the goals didn't warrant a proper celebration. Or, more likely, the crowd was filled with tourists

They are an absolute joke of a football club, not even up for debate.

Hmmmmmm

Forbes magazine have them as the 6th biggest club in World Football and growing faster than those around them.

Now who do I believe. A random on a forum who has never been to Manchester or Forbes magazine?

It does depend where you are in the ground.

It depends who is playing as well.

Spurs quarter final a few years back was one f the best atmospheres I’ve been in. We were right next to the Spurs support that night

That’s the same for all clubs. Have you read the threads on here regarding the atmosphere at Ibrox? And we are sold out most weeks
Have a mate who has a season ticket next to away fans, is it block 116? He enjoys himself to be fair, likes a beer, says they stand most the match.

It was 2-1 to CSKA.
The thread is about Man City.
BIG club fans should go along and back their team in the Champions League.
Ibrox attendances are superb ;)
I'm obviously biased but in my opinion nobody comes close to our attendances . Put any of the English sides in the SPL and give them a home game on a Tuesday night in December versus Ross County or St Mirren, and see what attendance they'd have. You only have to look at the drop in crowds down south when the big clubs play lesser teams in Cup games and European games..

Hmmmmmm

Forbes magazine have them as the 6th biggest club in World Football and growing faster than those around them.

Now who do I believe. A random on a forum who has never been to Manchester or Forbes magazine?

I don't really want to be "believed" as such, less so by a random on a forum B-) , there is very little Man City can do to convince me they are much more than a joke of a club.

I mean their manager is literally asking fans to attend games, maybe they can just put a carboard cut out of Forbes Magazines in seats instead. I mean my god, that you feel you have to reference Forbes Magazine as justification they aren't a joke only further serves to validate my view they are a joke club.

An excellent business, 100% a joke of a club, absolutely.

Last edited:
Maine Road only held 35k, but as with most older stadiums had character and a soul.

They average about 45k, but the Etihad, just like the Emirates in my opinion whilst they are excellent in terms of facilities are not a patch on the their old stadiums.
Agree 100%, can also add London Stadium ( upton Park) Stadium of Light ( Roker Park ) Riverside stadium ( Ayersome Park ) to the list

A league with a high majority of run of the mill football clubs, whose standing and reputation is artificially inflated by TV money.

History and tradition seriously lacking.

A league with a high majority of run of the mill football clubs, whose standing and reputation is artificially inflated by TV money.

History and tradition seriously lacking.
Lot of history and tradition to be fair, plenty will have been various Clubs before this century who know that. Can see why those who never went would think that though, different people have different memories at the end of the day. I’m only 41 but lucky enough to have been a lot of English grounds in the late 80s and 90s and have some great memories of those places and Clubs - those who went 70s and 80s will have stacks as well.

Lot of history and tradition to be fair, plenty will have been various Clubs before this century who know that. Can see why those who never went would think that though, different people have different memories at the end of the day. I’m only 41 but lucky enough to have been a lot of English grounds in the late 80s and 90s and have some great memories of those places and Clubs - those who went 70s and 80s will have stacks as well.

Certainly some proper football clubs, but also plenty of them have been artificially inflated.

Hmmmmmm

Bigger club than Rangers then?

World class players and manager, yet their fans can't be bothered. I sometimes wonder if we are reaching the end of football as we know it and are moving into a franchise system similar to NFL. The traditional supporters seem to be less interested now.

As others have mentioned, it's going to take at least a generation to build a fanbase to fill that stadium. The bubble will burst before it happens.

I don't know why they bothered expanding one of the ends. I'm sure they've shelved plans to extend the other one.

You lot are worse than City for throwing money about mind! I prefer non league now (Northern Premier), stand and have a pint etc… be different for those with families I expect, those are the ones who seem to enjoy going City now.
I know what you mean. Buxton is ridiculous at the moment. Conference North here we come. I'm moving back to Glasgow next month so that's the end of my Buxton tours Corby, Blyth and everything in between was good fun.

Who do you go and watch? Some nice set ups around Manchester and you can have a pint or two.

I think having a go at their fans is a bit unfair they play so many massive fixtures and most probably cant afford to pay out all the time. No chance of them not making it through the groups maybe having pep as manager has put some supporters off the CL means they have as much chance of winning it as we do.

I had all the City football kits when I was a kid. Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee, etc, were great players. They're an old school British club. I like them.

I know what you mean. Buxton is ridiculous at the moment. Conference North here we come. I'm moving back to Glasgow next month so that's the end of my Buxton tours Corby, Blyth and everything in between was good fun.

Who do you go and watch? Some nice set ups around Manchester and you can have a pint or two.
Lancaster, I don't get along as much now - 3/4 season ago went most home matches and quite a few away's. Enjoyed it a lot, never been Buxton but been to Glossop, Droylesden, FC United. Seen so many new places doing that, really reminds me of what watching Football was like when I started at times in the 80s and 90s - try and stand near the dugouts and hear Club Staff getting at the Ref and Linesman and opposition players etc....Funny seeing the bloke in charge of the PA having a pop at the Ref!

See I keep hearing how good it is there, which I find odd. Quite a few people on here have said and a few mates who have taken their kids have also said of it. By that I think they must mean the zone outside and inside I think they mean in terms of buying food and drink. Get the impression it’s good for families. I always have the impression it’s a pretty quiet tame and quiet atmosphere (everything a trip to Maine Road wasn’t, inside and out), tempted to go to find out for myself.
Is he being for real?

You said BIG clubs, just wondering how you define BIG.

Tbh if you hadn’t been a member for so long I’d say you sound more like one of them talking about “We need that money!”.

Rangers haven’t struggled for attendances for a long time, much less in Europe where we consistently have amazing atmospheres.

Why would we need to panic about it now, and why does our attendances stop us from discussing how plastic Man City’s support is?

Also, there is no way it was 40k there last night!
Don't we get over 40k week in week out?

Is he being for real?
Got mates who go, season ticket holders. Better to see things for yourself than take it all on hearsay. Also got told I’d be killed if I went Argentina for Boca/River - never happened surprisingly enough.

Don't we get over 40k week in week out?
Yes, that is my point. Even when Ibox is "empty", it's probably still 80%+ full. Man City in a Champions League game are looking at low 70% (and that's with a generous number of 40k in attendance).

The poster I was replying to, who seems very touchy when it's pointed out how plastic the Man City support are, said that most BIG clubs have poor attendances for CL group stage games.

I watched the Liverpool game last night, and there was no way that Anfield was 70% full, or had the pathetic atmosphere that the Etihad last night, and most games tbh. There is absolutely no way that Liverpool or any other "BIG club" have to put tickets out at £12 to get people in the door for a CL game, get their manager to beg fans to turn up, or hire influencers with 5000+ followers on IG to pretend to be Man City fans to try and make the club appealing.

Man City have a recent history that could feasibly have belonged to any one of about 10 clubs in England,

Their owners could have taken 10 teams in England with a reasonable stadium and access to EPL revenue, spun them on a muckle roulette wheel and bang, which ever it landed on was going to have Man Citys recent history, they would have had the access to revenue, manager, players, EPL machine it would have been the exact same, the exact same club only in another set of shirts.

For better or worse a lot of clubs have a history build from typically a place of failing, to then generically claw to reach a place of success, that is history.

man gives club lots of money isn't history, it's not a great story and it is in part why they have such a low hanging fruit of a support, they are a club who are now typically followed by the absolute cnts of society who would follow any kind of popular trend, generic sheep.

%^*& them, %^*& their history, %^*& Forbes Magazine.

City have always had a fanbase round about derby and sheff weds level. 30k at maine Road. So they have a good 30k fans. Use to make some noise too. now they have 30k fans rest tourism...

What an absolute riddy. Especially considering how good they are, you would think the place would be packed out every week with an enormous waiting list
It's mad they're not selling out I'd like to go watch them but prob won't unless we draw them wonder if the tickets are really dear maybe

some interesting comments, nobody remember going to Ibrox for CL games in the 90’s?
1995/96
Dortmund= 33,209
Juventus= 42,523
Steaua=30,800

1996/97
Auxerre= 37,344
Ajax= 42,265
Grasshopper= 34,192

I remember the ticket prices being a bit steep, for the time.

How about we rent them some fans of ours that are on waiting lists for Ibrox.

Pick us up, bus us down, feed us, give us drink, drive us home. Pay Rangers.

You should do some research before posting nonsense like that.
Plenty of clubs with great history and tradition in England.

Plenty of others who have seen themselves propelled into a false position because of the TV finances in England.

Fair play, their fans can see right though the uefa ffp bs and have said fuk that to the champions league. Did they not get a fine for booing the anthem?

Watched Bruges match last night and absolutely cracking atmosphere. Switched to Man City and like a morgue so switched back again. They used to have a great support.

The goal celebrations last night were pathetic.

Hands in the air for a second, arse on the seat and some applause.

How awful would it be to be like that?

I hope I get the chance to do my dinger tonight and hug a complete stranger.

I’ve got a ST at city but only been to 1 or 2 CL games
Loads of mates are the same they just don’t have the appetite for it.
mine is more to do with the long journey down and back added to the fact I tend to go down weekends on the days Rangers aren’t playing.

1995/96
Dortmund= 33,209
Juventus= 42,523
Steaua=30,800

1996/97
Auxerre= 37,344
Ajax= 42,265
Grasshopper= 34,192

I remember the ticket prices being a bit steep, for the time.
It was driven by the tickets prices, people were pissed. The board need to learn from this

It was driven by the tickets prices, people were pissed. The board need to learn from this
I attended all the ties. I got a concession rate package for the two campaigns. I think adult tickets worked out at abour £40 approx per game.

Back